ADVERTISEMENT

How Long til Silent Sam is Removed (one way or the other)?

Although apparently they should rename Carrboro first

Although apparently they should rename Carrboro first

What is the point of digging up stuff like this? People during Jim Crow laws were brazen about their racism? NO WAY?! North Carolina Society is so much different in 2017 than in was in 1915 or whatever year Silent Sam was built. It's the one thing @strummingram always says that I actually agree completely with: do not try to use contemporary expectations/values to judge someone from history. It's apples and oranges.

BTW, I'm sure the Daily Tar Heel has already wrote an op-ed about removing Silent Sam.

Reactions: Archer2
Why stop at Silent Sam? Hell man, the southern states themselves remind me of slavery back in the day, so I think we should all migrate to either the North or the West and get rid of all of the southern states.

Cotton reminds me of slavery. Gonna be all wool and latex clothing for me from here on out. I'll be greatly offended if I see anyone wearing cotton - and I hope all you racist bastards that do wear it burn in hell.

Orange County schools have now banned students from wearing "Confederate flags" (how does no one know the battle flag isn't the real flag? lol), swastikas, and KKK paraphernalia in the dress code.

1. How many people were actually doing this before? Was this just a move to get some headlines and look progressive, i.e. capitalizing on a terrible event?
2. I don't particularly have a problem with the content they've banned. Wearing those things to school could disrupt others' learning or create intimidation for some. But you're on a very, very dangerous slope with this type of stuff. I'm fine with it in schools because schools are sorta their own thing "separate" from society, if you will, because it's an institution of learning for non-adults. But in general, when you start telling people what they can and can't wear and how they can and can't express themselves..... that's a slippery slope.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Why stop at Silent Sam? Hell man, the southern states themselves remind me of slavery back in the day, so I think we should all migrate to either the North or the West and get rid of all of the southern states.
I don't understand how SC has been allowed to continue on with such a derogatory name. Whoever thought putting "south" as part of the state name is clearly racist. I'm going to start a petition right now to change the name to something else. Maybe Lesser Carolina or Useless Carolina?

1. How many people were actually doing this before? Was this just a move to get some headlines and look progressive, i.e. capitalizing on a terrible event?

Yes, this is clearly what it was. I guarantee if a kid wore a t-shirt with a giant Nazi swastika on it to school in June - he would have been sent home, or at least made to change shirts. So, the rule was already in place, they just figured they'd show everyone that they're the beacon of progressive ideals by announcing the rule in public to capitalize on the tragedy.

While I'm not a huge fan of censorship, I don't really have a problem with them banning violence-inciting apparel (Although lumping in the Confederate Flag [battle flag, whatever] with Nazi swastikas and KKK apparel is a gross exaggeration in my book). I just wish they'd be consistent with it. BLM has been just as bad if not worse with the violence (recently) than the neo-nazis and the KKK - but I guarantee they aren't banning kids from wearing BLM shirts. So it essentially boils down to - "I'm going to censor what you wear if it doesn't match my ideals/opinions", which is the antithesis of what the country was founded on.

These things tend to sort themselves out anyways. I grew up in a town that's half Jewish - if someone wore a swastika to school one day, the kid would have (rightfully) gotten his ass beat. He wouldn't have worn that shirt anymore, I can tell you that.

Orange County schools have now banned students from wearing "Confederate flags" (how does no one know the battle flag isn't the real flag? lol), swastikas, and KKK paraphernalia in the dress code.

2. I don't particularly have a problem with the content they've banned. Wearing those things to school could disrupt others' learning or create intimidation for some. But you're on a very, very dangerous slope with this type of stuff. I'm fine with it in schools because schools are sorta their own thing "separate" from society, if you will, because it's an institution of learning for non-adults. But in general, when you start telling people what they can and can't wear and how they can and can't express themselves..... that's a slippery slope.
There's literally thousands of shirts that people wear that has some representaction of that flag. People are hung up on ignorant things. Not one person alive had anything to do with those times.
During the civil rights era, something had to be done. But I'll be honest in saying this, it makes me despise every person who uses things like that flag as a means to create hatred and bitterness. Some of these groups bent on tearing down a monument are doing it with the intention of promoting their own brand of racism. But the world cheers them on because of the imagery they are tearing down.
All it does is fortify bitterness. It actually creates more hatred between those involved. Let's just ban stupidity and ignorance.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
While I'm not a huge fan of censorship... I just wish they'd be consistent with it.
And that's the biggest problem with censorship. How do you define something when there is not a consensus on what it is? What angers one person might make another person happy.

There's literally thousands of shirts that people wear that has some representaction of that flag. People are hung up on ignorant things. Not one person alive had anything to do with those times.
During the civil rights era, something had to be done. But I'll be honest in saying this, it makes me despise every person who uses things like that flag as a means to create hatred and bitterness. Some of these groups bent on tearing down a monument are doing it with the intention of promoting their own brand of racism. But the world cheers them on because of the imagery they are tearing down.
All it does is fortify bitterness. It actually creates more hatred between those involved. Let's just ban stupidity and ignorance.
Yes, exactly it does fortify bitterness. Which is why I posed the question above what the point is in analyzing things Julian Carr said 100+ years ago. All that's going to do is make people hate each other more.

Like, I'm not gonna lie, it's going to piss me off something fierce when Silent Sam comes down. I will take it as an assault on not only my family's history (my family fought for the Confederacy but then after the war, two family members served as U.S. Congressmen and served on a committee charged with helping acclimatize blacks to their new-found freedom so don't @ me) but also as an attack on the history of my alma mater. You wanna pretend men like J. Johnston Pettigrew and Zabulon Vance didn't attend UNC, then whatever, be my guest.

http://www.wect.com/story/36134591/...derate-statue-at-old-durham-county-courthouse

Fine example of people who need to be arrested. Protest peacefully all you want, but damaging public property is another story. There are channels one can go thru to have that removed since it was such a racist image.
I think we should just pull down every statue and monument in the US. They can be replaced with a plaque that says, "Please imagine a tribute to something/someone you like. If you are offended by this plaque, we apologize."

I'm frankly surprised it's still up.

I surely do NOT want an event like Charlottesville happening on the UNC campus. As much as I understand the context of the statue, and am unaffected by it, I have to consider the potential for more upheaval.

I think of it like this; If I could have traded racial tensions healing a century ago (or more) in exchange for all of these statues ever having been erected, I would easily have made that choice. When I consider that General Lee himself wanted no part of these kinds of memorials, and I know that white people are just black people with lighter skin, it's an automatic choice.

I'm frankly surprised it's still up.

I surely do NOT want an event like Charlottesville happening on the UNC campus. As much as I understand the context of the statue, and am unaffected by it, I have to consider the potential for more upheaval.

I think of it like this; If I could have traded racial tensions healing a century ago (or more) in exchange for all of these statues ever having been erected, I would easily have made that choice. When I consider that General Lee himself wanted no part of these kinds of memorials, and I know that white people are just black people with lighter skin, it's an automatic choice.
Yes, how would UNC ever survive an event where some idiot drives his car into the crowd and uses it as a weapon? Oh wait..

Yes, how would UNC ever survive an event where some idiot drives his car into the crowd and uses it as a weapon? Oh wait..

Wow, somehow I had never been made aware of this. I assume you're talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UNC_SUV_attack ?

Crazy ass extremist. Something tells me if this were an extremist on the other side, people would have made sure that students coming in the following years were made aware of that event. Why is media coverage so one-sided!?

Reactions: Archer2
Wow, somehow I had never been made aware of this. I assume you're talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UNC_SUV_attack ?

Crazy ass extremist. Something tells me if this were an extremist on the other side, people would have made sure that students coming in the following years were made aware of that event. Why is media coverage so one-sided!?
Yeah that's the event I'm referring to. That's why there's bollards in the "alley ways" leading into The Pit, like near Davis Library entrance. The posts in the middle of the walkway. To block vehicles.

[/QUOTE]
Yikes.

If I look at silent sam in it's picturesque setting as a place of beauty and nostalgia, the place where I had my first kiss on campus, etc, then I don't want it torn down. But then I read stuff like this and imagine how someone non-white feels while walking by it.

I don't know what the answer is when you have something like this in a public place other than to erect equally impressive or more impressive monuments memorializing fighters for human rights.

Yikes.

If I look at silent sam in it's picturesque setting as a place of beauty and nostalgia, the place where I had my first kiss on campus, etc, then I don't want it torn down. But then I read stuff like this and imagine how someone non-white feels while walking by it.

I don't know what the answer is when you have something like this in a public place other than to erect equally impressive or more impressive monuments memorializing fighters for human rights.
Spare me.

The campus was built by slaves in case you didn't know. (Hey! There's even a statue very close to Silent Sam in memorial of these slaves, dontcha know!). Wanna just tear the whole thing down?

But then I read stuff like this and imagine how someone non-white feels while walking by it.
I'm willing to bet that at least 95% of the non-white people have never heard of Carr's quote and know little to nothing about the statue. This stuff is just researched and brought up by people who want to cause a problem that doesn't exist.

Yikes.

I don't know what the answer is when you have something like this in a public place other than to erect equally impressive or more impressive monuments memorializing fighters for human rights.[/QUOTE]

How would you imagine someone non-white to feel when walking by Silent Sam?

I'm willing to bet that at least 95% of the non-white people have never heard of Carr's quote and know little to nothing about the statue. This stuff is just researched and brought up by people who want to cause a problem that doesn't exist.

Oh, I'm just mildly amused because Carrboro might be the most liberal town in the southeast- this is where people move to because Chapel Hill has become too conservative.

Maybe that lot should rename their own joint before worrying about the effect of statues and what not in other peoples towns.

Agreed. The sad thing is that people aren't ok with 95% of the non-white population carrying on their merry way knowing little to nothing about the statue. They want to make sure that 95% feel as though they should be offended by the statue.

Why these people get off to making these people feel worse is beyond me.

Reactions: tarheel0910

The left wouldn't know the real confederate flag. All useful idiots.

I'm white, so the problem is certainly different for me than for other people.

Can you think of a scenario of something similar that could bother you similarly but doesn't? If so, what is it, and why doesn't it bother you?

Yikes.

How would you imagine someone non-white to feel when walking by Silent Sam?[/QUOTE]
Depends on the person and how much they know about the statue.

Can you think of a scenario of something similar that could bother you similarly but doesn't? If so, what is it, and why doesn't it bother you?
Can I think of a scenario where I get mad about something I don't know about? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Reason being is because I didn't know about it. How many people protesting Silent Sam or Carr cared about it before they knew about it? How many were harmed? Why should someone create a problem that wasn't there?

I'm white, so the problem is certainly different for me than for other people.

Yes. Statues and plaques devoted to Cherokee Indians near me.... some of whom tortured and killed white settlers. I'm white. Doesn't bother me.

Reactions: chickenhunter

Malcolm X was viciously racist against whites. He's been glorified in recent years by various books and movies.

I could be very offended by this - but I'm not, because I'm not a whiny bitch that looks to be offended over things that happened years before I was born, which have zero effect on me.

Malcolm X was viciously racist against whites. He's been glorified in recent years by various books and movies.

I could be very offended by this - but I'm not, because I'm not a whiny bitch that looks to be offended over things that happened years before I was born, which have zero effect on me.
That made me chuckle.

I'd be offended by MalcolmX statues on public property. Put in a gorgeous quad and you'd be ruining the quad.

Yes. Statues and plaques devoted to Cherokee Indians near me.... some of whom tortured and killed white settlers. I'm white. Doesn't bother me.
So there are statues and plaques on public lands of specific guys who were known to torture white settlers? Who?

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT