ADVERTISEMENT

Is it too early to discuss Summer vacation (or other) plans?

UNC71-00

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
What are you boys and girls up to this summer?

I don't have too much on the plate vacation wise. We should be moving into our new house, God willing, by the end of July. And this will take a tremendous amount of time and is of course, naturally over budget, so vacations will be slim. Family beach trip 1st week in August.

I am somewhat excited about a stay-cation in July. My wife and daughter are going to Nicaragua on a medical mission trip, so just me and the animals at home. Going to start the week by going to the Tedeschi-Trucks Band show in Charlotte and then spend the rest of the week eating take out and scratching myself. Should be nice.

Probably will backpack a fair amount too because we are hiking Machu Picchu next summer and need to get fat ass in shape as best as I can.

Sailing trip to Ocracoke with my dad for a long weekend during the Ocrafolk Music Festival, early June

NJ burbs early July to visit my sister and her family (We fly home from this trip on a Thursday and then my wife and I are turning right back around to see Gary Clark Jr. and MMJ in Raleigh on Sunday.)

Wrightsville early August with two other couples with kids (Fun but utter madness. One of those vacations you need a vacation from.)

Aaaand that's pretty much gonna wipe out my time off for the year.

Sailing trip to Ocracoke with my dad for a long weekend during the Ocrafolk Music Festival, early June

NJ burbs early July to visit my sister and her family (We fly home from this trip on a Thursday and then my wife and I are turning right back around to see Gary Clark Jr. and MMJ in Raleigh on Sunday.)

Wrightsville early August with two other couples with kids (Fun but utter madness. One of those vacations you need a vacation from.)

Aaaand that's pretty much gonna wipe out my time off for the year.

How long would it take to sail from Oriental to Kitty Hawk?

How long would it take to sail from Oriental to Kitty Hawk?
Simple question but not such a simple answer. If you could sail directly from one to the other, through the Pamlico, Croatan, and Albemarle sounds, it'd be probably a two-day trip. But a lot of that is pretty shallow, and there's some bridges, so it'd have to be a fairly small sailboat, probably smaller than you'd want for that length of trip. A larger boat would have to go up the ICW which would take more time (at least double). Plus I'm not sure Kitty Hawk is really a sailing destination; I don't know where you'd dock when you got there.

That sounds awesome. When's the last time you did an overnighter?
Same trip last year, I think. And yeah, it makes for a fun time. Just need to make sure he's recharged the boat's A/C; last year we had nowhere to retreat from the heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
Beach house in Topsail on the week of June 11. Nothing but me laying on the beach not giving a crap about anything. I expect everyone I know to leave me alone, STFU and GFY for the entire week. Can't get here soon enough.
With friends, family, or solo? If it's not the latter, you're going to need to get the message out to your traveling companions.

With friends, family, or solo? If it's not the latter, you're going to need to get the message out to your traveling companions.
I chipped in with my parents and my brother + his wife and kids, so they'll be there, obviously. They're the exception to the "leave me alone and GFY" rule, as we're all very close. Still, I'll go do my own thing most of the time.

Last edited:
I don't have many definite plans yet. Probably go down to the Pamilco River a few times. I'm in/co-directing a show in June with the local theater group, so that will take up some summer plans. Other than that, probably try to hang out with some friends, catch a few more movies in the summer months.

This has the potential to be a pretty big summer for me. Things I'm definitely doing are:

- Going to a concert at Fenway Park in early July to see what seems like the most random group of people/bands: Florida Georgia Line with Nelly, Chris Lane, and Backstreet Boys. As you can probably guess, this wasn't my idea but I'll go along with the group and get drunk (unfortunately paying Fenway prices).
- Going to Bermuda at the end of July, for 4 days including the GF's birthday. It'll be my first time there so I'm looking forward to it.
- Going to Chapel Hill for the Cal game (2 days before labor day, so that still counts as summer, right?)

Things I might be doing this summer:
- Going to Seattle to visit a couple friends I have that moved out there a year ago, that'd be sometime in August
- Buying property. I'm starting the process of getting pre-approved and all that jazz now, not sure if the process will be complete by the end of the summer, but if not, will be in the fall
- Succumbing to all the various social and other pressures and getting engaged. It'll be happening this year, just not sure if it'll be late summer or in the fall.

Last edited:
I don't have many definite plans yet. Probably go down to the Pamilco River a few times. I'm in/co-directing a show in June with the local theater group, so that will take up some summer plans. Other than that, probably try to hang out with some friends, catch a few more movies in the summer months.
Give me a heads up when you're in the area. If I can slip away for a minute I'll buy ya a beer.

My 17 year-old son is a concert pianist and has been invited to participate in a two-week music festival in Italy for the 2nd straight year. Last year's festival was small town in Tuscany region outside of Rome and my wife went with him. This year is just outside of Milan and my wife wants to rent a house and for me and our daughter to go too. Still deciding cause it aint cheap but I'm probably going to be told what I'm doing anyway.

I'm supposed to play Pine Valley in August so looking forward to that!

My 17 year-old son is a concert pianist and has been invited to participate in a two-week music festival in Italy for the 2nd straight year. Last year's festival was small town in Tuscany region outside of Rome and my wife went with him. This year is just outside of Milan and my wife wants to rent a house and for me and our daughter to go too. Still deciding cause it aint cheap but I'm probably going to be told what I'm doing anyway.

That sounds great!

Curse you!

giphy.gif

Does it get any better than that?
No, that's about as good as it gets. I've been lucky enough to enjoy the sights and sounds at the Soggy Dollar on a number of occasions and it doesn't disappoint. We check out this webcam several times a day usually.

No, that's about as good as it gets. I've been lucky enough to enjoy the sights and sounds at the Soggy Dollar on a number of occasions and it doesn't disappoint. We check out this webcam several times a day usually.

That's my next bucket list trip- charter a sailboat for at least 7 days around the BVI

Reactions: grillheel

That's freaking awesome

Reactions: grillheel
That's my next bucket list trip- charter a sailboat for at least 7 days around the BVI
Like I told you before, make it 10 days. Seven will just make you mad.:cool:

BTW, a lot of charter companies offer deals to get 10 days for the price of 7.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Some friends of mine did this for their honeymoon. Think they did 10 days or so, and had a great time.

Yeah- I think it is 3 years out for me. Next year is Maccu Picchu, following year will be charter sailboat trips in NC to make sure I remember how to sail, and then the following summer we will go. My wife and I are a year apart, so that will be the summer between our 50th birthdays. Seems like good timing.

we leave for kitty hawk saturday, but instead of our usual two weeks there, we are splitting it up and doing a week at holden beach.

tell me, what is there to do there or on the surrounding islands?...this goes for food, kids stuff, surf, etc.

i don't think i've ever been there, don't recall anyway.

is shallotte the spot to hit for anything?

thanks!

we leave for kitty hawk saturday, but instead of our usual two weeks there, we are splitting it up and doing a week at holden beach.

tell me, what is there to do there or on the surrounding islands?...this goes for food, kids stuff, surf, etc.

i don't think i've ever been there, don't recall anyway.

is shallotte the spot to hit for anything?

thanks!

Go to Provision Company at Holden Beach, not the one at Southport. Order the Shrimpburger and thank me later.

I've got nothing planned other than hosting a free-loader for the Tedeschi-Trucks Band concert in July.

Seriously, though, I need to get something on the books. I get really restless when I don't have an excursion to look forward to. Next one might be an outdoors trip...backpacking or kayaking.

Has your freeloader shown up yet for the concert @Raising Heel ? I saw Tedeschi-Trucks in Raleigh last year. One of the best concerts I've ever attended. It was especially good when they jammed with the North Mississippi Allstars and Los Lobos. Report back please after it's over.

I have plans for a cross country trip to see all of the Dickey's BBQ restaurants. I'm pretty excited.

I have plans for a cross country trip to see all of the Dickey's BBQ restaurants. I'm pretty excited.
You're trying too hard now. The idea is to spread this type of stuff out over time. You don't need to do it for every post in every thread. It makes you look desperate.

You're trying too hard now. The idea is to spread this type of stuff out over time. You don't need to do it for every post in every thread. It makes you look desperate.

Nah. I think I'll do it as much as I want to. Thanks for your tips about message board poasting though.

Hey, I'm just trying to help you not be the worst poster on the board. Luckly @chick_bleeds_carolina_blue was a poster here, so it will be hard for you to be the worst ever.

Is that what you're doing? Because to me it appears as if you're stalking my poasts in an effort to ride my jock. But if it's help you're offering, let me tell you the best way to help. Stop sweating me.

Is that what you're doing? Because to me it appears as if you're stalking my poasts in an effort to ride my jock. But if it's help you're offering, let me tell you the best way to help. Stop sweating me.
Dude, you've been way too serious the past couple of days. It's Friday. Lighten up a little.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT