ADVERTISEMENT

It will likely cost my buddy his job, but Hubert has to go

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
He is not up to the challenge of being a head coach at a Blue Blood. The mistakes he continues to make during games are just abysmal.

Aside from Nance's shot against Ohio State (that Lebo drew up in the timeout), have we scored on a single play out of the timeout all year?

How about Bacot sitting on the sideline waiting to check in for 3 minutes late in the second half, even though we had timeouts and fouls to spare?

I maintain that Hubert was like 3 minutes and 2 defensive rebounds away from winning the title last year with largely the same group of players (I know Manek is a huge loss).

So I’ll give him some patience because I think these players blow. What are they good at?

In terms of the timeout thing. I agree but I bet he learned that from Roy. Fouling on purpose to bench a dude seems no the Carolina way for some reason. But I agree, you had to get Bacot back in there.

I am concerned that whenever we need a 3 we run that stupid elevator screen play at the top of the key that UNC has been running for 30 years. Some traditions need to go away, lol.

With this team and can't even make the tournament?

His seat should be getting warm
It's not that talented of a team. 2 5 star recruits. Nance and Leaky are maybe average ACC starters at forward. Love didn't develop off his potential, and RJ is a horrible defender (albeit still a valuable player overall). Basically no bench skill except for Puff a little when he's healthy. We're mostly riding Bacot and Davis' offense.

I actually think Hubert could be gone if we miss the tournament this year and next year, depending on how next season goes. Curious what people think this team's true talent level is though?

I actually think we are playing about at our talent level (bubble team), assuming this is the most you can get out of Love. We're just too deficient in the 2-3-4 spots. Manek's spacing was SOOOO valuable last year for Love/Davis' driving ability. Still have to blame Hubert some for not finding a way to add a talented wing or develop some of the guys we have. We need three new starters for next season.

I maintain that Hubert was like 3 minutes and 2 defensive rebounds away from winning the title last year with largely the same group of players (I know Manek is a huge loss).

So I’ll give him some patience because I think these players blow. What are they good at?

In terms of the timeout thing. I agree but I bet he learned that from Roy. Fouling on purpose to bench a dude seems no the Carolina way for some reason. But I agree, you had to get Bacot back in there.

I am concerned that whenever we need a 3 we run that stupid elevator screen play at the top of the key that UNC has been running for 30 years. Some traditions need to go away, lol.
He’s eliminated many of the Carolina traditions, unfortunately and it’s not been a net positive.

Hubert must go. the fact that we are 30 games in and we are still staying the course with the same system, lack of effort and discipline is shameful. Hubert is a great guy, but he wasn’t just hired to be a great guy. He’s a terrible coach.

And yes we have player(s) that play with loser effort, specifically Caleb Love. but the fact that Hubert has left him out there all season playing like he has is enough for me. at some point it’s on the coach.

Reactions: Heelicious
It's not that talented of a team. 2 5 star recruits. Nance and Leaky are maybe average ACC starters at forward. Love didn't develop off his potential, and RJ is a horrible defender (albeit still a valuable player overall). Basically no bench skill except for Puff a little when he's healthy. We're mostly riding Bacot and Davis' offense.

I actually think Hubert could be gone if we miss the tournament this year and next year, depending on how next season goes. Curious what people think this team's true talent level is though?

I actually think we are playing about at our talent level (bubble team), assuming this is the most you can get out of Love. We're just too deficient in the 2-3-4 spots. Manek's spacing was SOOOO valuable last year for Love/Davis' driving ability. Still have to blame Hubert some for not finding a way to add a talented wing or develop some of the guys we have. We need three new starters for next season.
Let me think about that for a minute, "we are playing at our talent level", dang, maybe we are...

Reactions: Heelicious
He’s eliminated many of the Carolina traditions, unfortunately and it’s not been a net positive.
It’s a moronic play in an era of spacing. You’re literally bringing like 6 of the 10 players within a 3 foot area with the ball usually on the strong side of the floor.

It’s absolutely moronic to run that in 2023.

Get rid of all the traditions if it means getting rid of that play (KIDDING!). But get rid of that play.

We’re right at our level this season. We let a couple get away against Pitt.

We stole one against Ohio State. We should be maybe 1 win better.

We suck. These players sucked for most of last year. Move on from these players.

Hubert must go. the fact that we are 30 games in and we are still staying the course with the same system, lack of effort and discipline is shameful. Hubert is a great guy, but he wasn’t just hired to be a great guy. He’s a terrible coach.

And yes we have player(s) that play with loser effort, specifically Caleb Love. but the fact that Hubert has left him out there all season playing like he has is enough for me. at some point it’s on the coach.
Who would you have played instead of Love? I agree his mentality isn't good but Trimble and Dunn are totally deficient at this point in their careers. I'm fine with blaming him for having this roster (mostly, though he inherited a lot from Roy), but once you have this roster it's hard to sit Love. We don't have a third guard that is even halfway decent, nor a single forward that can score.

Let me think about that for a minute, "we are playing at our talent level", dang, maybe we are...
At least people can't say both that last year was a fluke but this year was way underachieving. It's kinda one or the other.

Personally I think last year was pretty lucky and this really is a bubble type roster, especially without Manek.

At the beginning of the year, I thought Love would be a top guard, Nance was a pretty good player, and Trimble/Puff/Dunn/Styles made up a good bench. None of those things turned out to be true, so we are what we are.

I can agree with this teams talent level for sure. Not up to Carolina standards by any means. Needs a lot of changes starting with coaching philosophy

Styles can shoot better from 3 than black but guess who plays & shoots more
Unfortunately, there is no evidence to support that statement. Styles showed up this season and couldn't even dribble through cones without losing the ball. He's been the single biggest disappointment on the roster this year. The staff expected the sophomore leap. The staff expected him to contend with the oft-injured Puff Johnson for 6th man role. Instead they got a guy who can't dribble against defensive pressure, who never uses his athleticism to attack the rim or draw fouls, who doesn't make a difference on defense most of the time, and who settles for jumpers constantly. Even when he gets into the paint and could pivot himself into a drop step layup, he settles for a fade away jumper.

I'm bullish on guys like Nickel, Washington, and Trimble developing into ACC caliber players. But Styles seems like he'd be better off playing power forward at a midmajor, where no one will ask him to fix all his weaknesses.

Reactions: Archer2
Who would you have played instead of Love? I agree his mentality isn't good but Trimble and Dunn are totally deficient at this point in their careers. I'm fine with blaming him for having this roster (mostly, though he inherited a lot from Roy), but once you have this roster it's hard to sit Love. We don't have a third guard that is even halfway decent, nor a single forward that can score.

the fact that we still have people asking who we would play over Love is laughable. the answer is anybody with a ****ing pulse. our results with him on the floor have largely been piss poor. we are an NIT team. you don’t think some of those other kids could
have at least got us to the NIT. smdh

I can agree with this teams talent level for sure. Not up to Carolina standards by any means. Needs a lot of changes starting with coaching philosophy
GET. BETTER. PLAYERS.

I’m telling you that most coaches in college basketball are below average tactical coaches. Roy’s teams were bad with bad players.

There’s only a few coaches that truly gets a lot out of any roster. It’s like Bill Self, Tony Bennett most years and Jay Wright during his last 10 years.

Aside from that. You typically need some combination of talent and experienced talent.

We have experienced crap.

the fact that we still have people asking who we would play over Love is laughable. the answer is anybody with a ****ing pulse. our results with him on the floor have largely been piss poor. we are an NIT team. you don’t think some of those other kids could
have at least got us to the NIT. smdh
I don't agree. I think Trimble is definitely worse than Love. Dunn I'm not sure, but he's been totally MIA for about 6 weeks so hard to argue otherwise.

Reactions: tarheels0015
Bill Self coached circles around him in the 2nd half. He came out of halftime, started posting up the smaller Love, and our lead vanished super quick. Hubert made no adjustment.

As bad as Love was shooting, simply subbing him out and inserting Puff to defend that post up might have been enough to protect our lead and win the game.

Bill Self coached circles around him in the 2nd half. He came out of halftime, started posting up the smaller Love, and our lead vanished super quick. Hubert made no adjustment.

As bad as Love was shooting, simply subbing him out and inserting Puff to defend that post up might have been enough to protect our lead and win the game.
Bill Self coaches circles around a lot of people. Isn’t Roy 0 for life against him?

Also, I question having RJ as the only ballhandler against KU’s pressure in the second half. Also, easy to say right now because we know Caleb blows. But we got good Caleb up until that game. Would’ve taken a lot of balls to bench him.

Reactions: strummingram
GET. BETTER. PLAYERS.

I’m telling you that most coaches in college basketball are below average tactical coaches. Roy’s teams were bad with bad players.

There’s only a few coaches that truly gets a lot out of any roster. It’s like Bill Self, Tony Bennett most years and Jay Wright during his last 10 years.

Aside from that. You typically need some combination of talent and experienced talent.

We have experienced crap.
I remember when Dean could win with middle school players…..

Bill Self coaches circles around a lot of people. Isn’t Roy 0 for life against him?

Also, I question having RJ as the only ballhandler against KU’s pressure in the second half. Also, easy to say right now because we know Caleb blows. But we got good Caleb up until that game. Would’ve taken a lot of balls to bench him.
I didn't say bench him. Just insert Puff for him early to counter what Bill Self was doing with the SG post up.

Or really, just any sort of adjustment at all would have been nice. He just sat there and watched the lead evaporate as KU ran the same play over and over.

That's the problem. His in-game coaching is horrendous. We'd have a win over Alabama this year if he simply organized the offense and got a post touch for Bacot at any point between the final 2 mins of regulation through the end of the 3rd OT. Instead he sat and watched out guards play hero ball.

I didn't say bench him. Just insert Puff for him early to counter what Bill Self was doing with the SG post up.

Or really, just any sort of adjustment at all would have been nice. He just sat there and watched the lead evaporate as KU ran the same play over and over.

That's the problem. His in-game coaching is horrendous. We'd have a win over Alabama this year if he simply organized the offense and got a post touch for Bacot at any point between the final 2 mins of regulation through the end of the 3rd OT. Instead he sat and watched out guards play hero ball.
Maybe you’re right. I just don’t think it matters all that much. These players are limited.

People bring up that this offense would be better if we ran Roy’s system.

Who the hell would the PG be? You want Caleb with the ball in his hands in every late clock situation?

Get Nance in the post! Good luck when you get doubled off Leaky’s defender every play. You think Caleb will be able to do anything with 5 dudes in the paint?

To some degree, I think it’s smart we’re limiting possessions and grinding out games now. We don’t have the dudes to play 75 possession games. Also, the less talented you are, the less possessions you should play.

In the end, we’re just not good enough. Hubert isn’t great in late game situations. I didn’t think Roy was all that good either. But hey, sometimes Harrison Barnes nails a buzzer beater on a 1-4 clearout. Sometimes Marcus Paige nails a GW on a basic high ball screen.

I’ll argue this year that it’s on the players. But I’ve always said. Hubert probably isn’t a good tactical coach because most aren’t in college basketball.

The fast break rarely happens anymore.

The back screen lob doesn't happen anymore.

The tired signal never happens anymore.
Dominating the boards doesn’t happen anymore.

Pointing to the passer rarely happens anymore.

High scoring exciting offense doesn’t happen anymore.

Playing harder than your opponent doesn’t happen anymore.

Showing excitement and energy on the court rarely happens anymore.

He is not up to the challenge of being a head coach at a Blue Blood. The mistakes he continues to make during games are just abysmal.

Aside from Nance's shot against Ohio State (that Lebo drew up in the timeout), have we scored on a single play out of the timeout all year?

How about Bacot sitting on the sideline waiting to check in for 3 minutes late in the second half, even though we had timeouts and fouls to spare?
After a timeout I begin to cringe as to what’s about to happen next

and we now have the most selfish kid on our team and possibly in the history of our program wearing green shoes. to say we care so much about Deans legacy and all he taught Hubert, he’d be rolling over in his grave with this current system and some of these antics with green shoes, etc.

Hubert literally is going to take this team to the NIT in a year that the ACC is maybe the worst I’ve seen it in my lifetime. And he’s done it with a team coming off a championship run. This has to be the greatest flop by a coach in Carolina history.

Hubert literally is going to take this team to the NIT in a year that the ACC is maybe the worst I’ve seen it in my lifetime. And he’s done it with a team coming off a championship run. This has to be the greatest flop by a coach in Carolina history.
I think he deserves credit for getting an NCAAT championship run out of THAT team! He got that from a group that RW, a HOF coach, couldn't get.

These players are just not that good, overall. He's getting what he can get from them. None of them are really elite talent.

Dominating the boards doesn’t happen anymore.

Pointing to the passer rarely happens anymore.

High scoring exciting offense doesn’t happen anymore.

Playing harder than your opponent doesn’t happen anymore.

Showing excitement and energy on the court rarely happens anymore.
Don't forget winning is getting purty rare also!

Reactions: rexerdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT