ADVERTISEMENT

It will likely cost my buddy his job, but Hubert has to go

I really don’t think Hubert is up to the job. But you can forget hoping that a change will be made anytime soon. Hubert won’t be on the hot seat for two years. He was Roy’s hand picked successor. And that probably goes a long way with the movers and shakers that force decisions. But I figure it is only a matter of time, even if a long time. Now I appreciate the “Carolina Family” that Dean established as much as anyone. But winning basketball should take precedence, over feeling that anyone is owed the job just because they once wore a UNC jersey.

I'd say HD and his staff have overachieved with this core group of Roy's players. None of them are pro-level at all. He managed to get them to the NCAAT Championship with the help of a transfer he was responsible for getting. He even said last season that "I think this team has a chance to play in the National Championship." People thought he was crazy. They got there!

He's never been as optimistic about this team, from what I have gotten from his comments and perspectives. I dunno who talked him into that 1982 SI Cover mock-up, but that was a mistake.

These players are just not all that good. Bacot is about the only truly consistently good/productive player.

As a group, this year. these kids have not played with the determination that is needed. Hubert cannot force them to have that drive.

If a coach can get to the NCAA Tournament championship in his first year, I think he might be qualified.

Hubert Bunting

we have the oldest team in the country and we're likely going to miss a 68 team NCAAT field. that is shameful.
That is one seriously hot take! lol... seriously? You're comparing HD to John Bunting? John Bunting never went to the title game in his first season.

I'd say HD and his staff have overachieved with this core group of Roy's players. None of them are pro-level at all. He managed to get them to the NCAAT Championship with the help of a transfer he was responsible for getting. He even said last season that "I think this team has a chance to play in the National Championship." People thought he was crazy. They got there!

He's never been as optimistic about this team, from what I have gotten from his comments and perspectives. I dunno who talked him into that 1982 SI Cover mock-up, but that was a mistake.

These players are just not all that good. Bacot is about the only truly consistently good/productive player.

As a group, this year. these kids have not played with the determination that is needed. Hubert cannot force them to have that drive.

If a coach can get to the NCAA Tournament championship in his first year, I think he might be qualified.
I like what you wrote because you made some great points. They have talent but it is more of a individual talent instead of a team talent. I expect next year to be a even bigger challenge with only Davis and Bacot as possible return players but like yourself I will still be cheering for them regardless…

I like what you wrote because you made some great points. They have talent but it is more of a individual talent instead of a team talent. I expect next year to be a even bigger challenge with only Davis and Bacot as possible return players but like yourself I will still be cheering for them regardless…
I think if he can recruit players to execute the style of play he envisions, the program will be fine. The guy KNOWS basketball!

It's not that talented of a team. 2 5 star recruits. Nance and Leaky are maybe average ACC starters at forward. Love didn't develop off his potential, and RJ is a horrible defender (albeit still a valuable player overall). Basically no bench skill except for Puff a little when he's healthy. We're mostly riding Bacot and Davis' offense.

I actually think Hubert could be gone if we miss the tournament this year and next year, depending on how next season goes. Curious what people think this team's true talent level is though?

I actually think we are playing about at our talent level (bubble team), assuming this is the most you can get out of Love. We're just too deficient in the 2-3-4 spots. Manek's spacing was SOOOO valuable last year for Love/Davis' driving ability. Still have to blame Hubert some for not finding a way to add a talented wing or develop some of the guys we have. We need three new starters for next season.
How many 5 star recruits does Houston have? UCLA? Arizona? Alabama? If you can only win by having more talented players than everyone are you actually a good coach?

Our player development the last few years has sucked. I think 2019 class with Maye, Cam, Kenny Williams was the last that I can really look at and say they got significantly better during their team on campus. Each player on our team right now is no better than they were as freshmen. Teams like Kansas are always good because every year they have a guys go from reserve player to all conference in one offseason, its truly next man up when a star either graduates or leaves early for the NBA. We shouldnt have had to go to the portal to find players, if we were developing the ones we had the right way they should be on the roster already and ready to fill in.

I don't agree. I think Trimble is definitely worse than Love. Dunn I'm not sure, but he's been totally MIA for about 6 weeks so hard to argue otherwise.
Sitting Love for a few minutes when he’s not engaged might make him change his attitude. It’s worth a try. Now you’ve set a very bad precedent going forward.
Most of you old timers just need to build a time machine and go back to 1973.
F%#k off Strum. I mean that sincerely.

Coach can't coach, Assistant Coaches can't teach and bench players not playing = NIT.
The last 2 years have been hard to watch and changes need to happen with the coaching staff.
Just my 2 cents from someone that has been a fan for 55 years.

They doubled Mando and gave up clean 3's, can't do that with most teams, with the Heels this year you can. Sheesh, gotta make be better then 5 - 23 again. Most were good looks.
Best comment on the Heels woes this season. If you can’t consistently punish the defensue for double teaming your best player by making an open jump shot, you aren’t going to win many games.

I think if he can recruit players to execute the style of play he envisions, the program will be fine. The guy KNOWS basketball!
This is kind of a flawed logic. Just because you “know” something doesn’t mean you can coach it and/or translate it to players efficiently.

That’s like saying all smart people should be teachers. Being smart at something doesn’t mean you would be an effective teacher.

Reactions: Archer2
He is not up to the challenge of being a head coach at a Blue Blood. The mistakes he continues to make during games are just abysmal.

Aside from Nance's shot against Ohio State (that Lebo drew up in the timeout), have we scored on a single play out of the timeout all year?

How about Bacot sitting on the sideline waiting to check in for 3 minutes late in the second half, even though we had timeouts and fouls to spare?
Even my wife caught the TO issue. I said Davis was showing how much Roy still influences him, and this not a good way.

Reactions: Heelicious
Hubert Bunting

we have the oldest team in the country and we're likely going to miss a 68 team NCAAT field. that is shameful.
That isa. huge point, but now more and more basketball fans miss the importance of experience. People have gotten used to 1 and Done, and even more often 2 and Done, then reload with more star recruits.

Certain types of coahes can do that very well. Maybe Davis can. But he also might even be worse at trying to teach new groups of players his basics every 1 or 2 years.

They doubled Mando and gave up clean 3's, can't do that with most teams, with the Heels this year you can. Sheesh, gotta make be better then 5 - 23 again. Most were good looks.
That became the basic Dook D versus UNC years ago when Rat-face realized how poorly Roy teams had become at shooting, and defending, the 3.

Whew, Hubert that presser was not good. He would have done better to have walked out! At least then I could see how mad he is.

Good and bad part is that we can win the tourney.

If we don't go on the run last year to the title game, and make it only to the Sweet Sixteen . Would HD be questioned right now?

I would definitely still would think we would make the tourney, but not #1 team preseason. I still would be talking about our team good/bad. I just don't think I would be blaming Hubert, I probably would just be excited about next year's team.

That run to the championship game, was special. I am not trying to make Manek out to be something he is not, but he started hitting his stride. Caleb never put together two good halves (Duke game he was good all game) . Bacot was and still is Bacot but was unstoppable when Love and RJ were that hot, and Manek being able to provide size when Bacot needed a spell was something we haven't replaced (Nance is cool, but smaller than Manek).

I blame Hubert for current players not improving! I don't blame him for all the loses, we are the same team we were before we made that run.

2-F09-EF2-A-5-C1-E-4460-B423-A9-B43-AC02062.jpg

Times like this make you appreciate this picture that much more.

If we don't go on the run last year to the title game, and make it only to the Sweet Sixteen . Would HD be questioned right now?

I would definitely still would think we would make the tourney, but not #1 team preseason. I still would be talking about our team good/bad. I just don't think I would be blaming Hubert, I probably would just be excited about next year's team.

That run to the championship game, was special. I am not trying to make Manek out to be something he is not, but he started hitting his stride. Caleb never put together two good halves (Duke game he was good all game) . Bacot was and still is Bacot but was unstoppable when Love and RJ were that hot, and Manek being able to provide size when Bacot needed a spell was something we haven't replaced (Nance is cool, but smaller than Manek).

I blame Hubert for current players not improving! I don't blame him for all the loses, we are the same team we were before we made that run.
Yes, he would be. Any coach who cannot show players that improve should be highly suspect.

Nance is taller than Manek. He may seem smaller because he plays smaller in some ways.

Reactions: superstar57
Larry Brown is the only Heel we could add to the staff who comes close to Dean's coaching acumen.
Larry is a battler. He wants to win. MY guess is that he is bothered by hat he sees, and wonders if Davis has it in him to keep the program where it has been historically.

And getting to the aNational Championship Gam win your first year may mean nothing, Indiana State's coach did that in 1979, and none of you know his name because he was not close to being up to the task of maintaining a winner.

Reactions: Old_School59
Larry is a battler. He wants to win. MY guess is that he is bothered by hat he sees, and wonders if Davis has it in him to keep the program where it has been historically.

And getting to the aNational Championship Gam win your first year may mean nothing, Indiana State's coach did that in 1979, and none of you know his name because he was not close to being up to the task of maintaining a winner.
I do !! Coach Bill Hodges, and come on Indiana State was never a threat before or after Larry Bird and Carl Nicks. NEVER !!!!

Mike Davis at IU is a much better comparison if you want one, but Bobby and his faithful had no qualms trying to actively work against the program, so Hubert wouldn't have to deal with that type situation, well at least I think he wouldn't.

You know guys, Alabama had some down years in football believe it or not. It happens.

It's way too early to call for Hubert to resign. We almost won the national championship last year. Yeah, there are problems. One on them is a young man, thought to maybe be a one and done, not really living up to the billing and now, not getting better.

Another is the system Hubert wants to play does not work well without a great 3 pt shooter like Manek, and another is the defensive intensity we showed on the court last season is lacking. Perhaps that's an issue of intensity and execution overall.

There's a lot going on in the world and people's lives, and sometimes it shows.

We don't have a team that gells like last year's remarkable and glorious run late in the season. Deal with it and settle down.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Not a chance, his VERY VERY checkered past is not happening with the program. Sheesh, has he ever left somewhere not on at least probation or on a tournament ban?
Don't think Memphis has gotten into any trouble from his short time there. Is there anything Larry has gotten in trouble for in the past that is still considered impermissible by the NCAA?

Reactions: Old_School59
You know guys, Alabama had some down years in football believe it or not. It happens.

It's way too early to call for Hubert to resign. We almost won the national championship last year. Yeah, there are problems. One on them is a young man, thought to maybe be a one and done, not really living up to the billing and now, not getting better.

Another is the system Hubert wants to play does not work well without a great 3 pt shooter like Manek, and another is the defensive intensity we showed on the court last season is lacking. Perhaps that's an issue of intensity and execution overall.

There's a lot going on in the world and people's lives, and sometimes it shows.

We don't have a team that gells like last year's remarkable and glorious run late in the season. Deal with it and settle down.
But remember the several coaches after their last chip with Gene stallings, were all fired after one to three years. Then Saban.

Here's the post game presser, he is in denial and don't have a clue!

I stopped watching after the first 3-4 questions. Hubert is arguing semantics, tilting at windmills. He seems lost at sea. They weren’t hard questions, reporters are being kind to him. No one asked him why he didn’t call a TO to get Bacot in the game or why in the heck Leaky threw up 16 shots!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT