ADVERTISEMENT

It will likely cost my buddy his job, but Hubert has to go

For the people saying these players are just terrible and they will give Hubert time.. To me, Hubert's bad coaching has nothing to do with the players or talent. It has to do with his game planning. The way he subs, the plays he runs, and most importantly how he never punishes his starters (especially Caleb). He gives Caleb the green light to jack up 3 after 3 and it never changes. Hubert is a nice guy but he's not a mean coach when he needs to be and that's the problem.

There may be lots of terrible coaches out there, but I feel like you could possibly say "I like the plays he runs", "I like the way he subs or uses his bench", "I like how he will pull his players from the game if they keep making mistakes", "I like the fact that he is trying something new"... Can you say anything good or positive like that about Hubert?

Reactions: RoseHeel
For the people saying these players are just terrible and they will give Hubert time.. To me, Hubert's bad coaching has nothing to do with the players or talent. It has to do with his game planning. The way he subs, the plays he runs, and most importantly how he never punishes his starters (especially Caleb). He gives Caleb the green light to jack up 3 after 3 and it never changes. Hubert is a nice guy but he's not a mean coach when he needs to be and that's the problem.

There may be lots of terrible coaches out there, but I feel like you could possibly say "I like the plays he runs", "I like the way he subs or uses his bench", "I like how he will pull his players from the game if they keep making mistakes", "I like the fact that he is trying something new"... Can you say anything good or positive like that about Hubert?
I like his eternal optimism.

I stopped watching after the first 3-4 questions. Hubert is arguing semantics, tilting at windmills. He seems lost at sea. They weren’t hard questions, reporters are being kind to him. No one asked him why he didn’t call a TO to get Bacot in the game or why in the heck Leaky threw up 16 shots!
How bad he is in press conferences has surprised me. The guy spent all that time in the sports media world, you would think he could handle it better.

Reactions: Archer2
I'm assuming from the expertise on this thread that everyone except me is making millions a year coaching in college or the NBA . . .

Reactions: gberry78
This thread, in my view, has a LOT of CRAZY in it! LOL First, want to say very clearly, I am not wanting Hubert fired or pressured to step down!

To me, 2 things from this season jump out:

1) Hubert has had a awful season as our coach, he just has, I think in large part due to a combination of his inexperience as a head coach and this particular group of players that struggle to fit together.

2) This season, this team under achieved it's talent level. Fact is this nearly same team of big minute starters under achieved it's talent level last season for the vast majority of the season, they got hot late and rode the hot streak.

IDK how often Hubert and Roy talk now days, from watching this season it seems like they don't talk at all because I see so much that is the polar opposite of how Roy coached. Of course Roy did it his way and Roy was not a Dean Smith clone, Hubert should not be expected to be a Roy clone.

As it applies to THIS season Hubert committed a cardinal sin for a head coach, he went in to this season with an offensive scheme that is used a lot in the NBA that he thought would translate to the ACC, a 5 out type of look, a look we didn't even use in that NCAAT run the year before? You go in to a season with a scheme you know will work and then you tweek it to fit your personal. You spend the season perfecting that scheme, not finding yourself having to re-tool, now what, for the 3rd time this season? Bottom line NO ACC team, no college team has players at the level of an NBA team, they may have some big time talents but in the NBA, EVERYONE IS A BIG TIME TALENT. The last guy on a NBA bench was very likely a college star player.

What you typically end up getting when you retool your offensive attack is a lot of confused players and a confused player in the heat of action will revert back to what used to work for him. A confused player will many times look lazy simply because he is thinking rather than playing and they will at times look a bit robotic. I have seen this all season, I saw it a lot last season.

How many of you, like myself, have screamed all season, why are we not pushing the ball, what happened to the vaunted UNC breaks, the up tempo wide open running game that was our back bone to multiple national titles, that basically defined UNC's offense for most of our lives? Last season, Hubert put in a short term fix that seemed to work, the "Iron 5" deal but that isn't a long term plan, it was a short term fix that had to go in place due to his bench not being any where close to ready. Why didn't the "Iron 5" play our (Roy's) running game, because you just can not as a player run like that for 40mins game time, legs wear down. So unless we get a steal we have become a half court offense exclusively.

Being now a half court team that rarely runs, Hubert is calling out set plays constantly and the other team knows our set plays, some may suggest the other teams knows them better than we do? LOL When the initial portion of the set plays breaks down these players seem lost? Where they should be able to transition quickly in to free lance this team seems not to know what to do in free lance? Rather they pound the ball thru the floor eating up the shot clock and some one forces up another jump shot or it goes to one of our weak shooters for a we dare you to take it jumper. There is just no purposeful motion, very little attempt to actually move the defense, it plays in to the teeth of even a poor defense? WE have spent most of this season playing 3 on 5 on the offensive end and folks wonder why our 3 main scorers shoot such a bad %? LOL

I HOPE Hubert will spend a LOT of quality time this off season talking to other head coaches, successful head coaches, spend quality time talking to UNC former players, getting their feed back, and put together how he wants his team to play next season and stick to it. From practice #1 one the coaches message has to be constant and consistent on style of play, it has not been and that is a cardinal sin for a head coach. Stop being as concerned with what kind of cookies they prefer and spend more time being their coach, they don't need you to be their buddy, they need you to direct them on how to win and become better players.

I do think there are clear and comfortable solutions to this and Roy should be the perfect mentor as well as Hubert should now realize that what he wants to do isn't working, so yet another retool is in order, GO BACK TO THE UNC RUNNING GAME! That is the key that fits the lock!

This thread, in my view, has a LOT of CRAZY in it! LOL First, want to say very clearly, I am not wanting Hubert fired or pressured to step down!

To me, 2 things from this season jump out:

1) Hubert has had a awful season as our coach, he just has, I think in large part due to a combination of his inexperience as a head coach and this particular group of players that struggle to fit together.

2) This season, this team under achieved it's talent level. Fact is this nearly same team of big minute starters under achieved it's talent level last season for the vast majority of the season, they got hot late and rode the hot streak.

IDK how often Hubert and Roy talk now days, from watching this season it seems like they don't talk at all because I see so much that is the polar opposite of how Roy coached. Of course Roy did it his way and Roy was not a Dean Smith clone, Hubert should not be expected to be a Roy clone.

As it applies to THIS season Hubert committed a cardinal sin for a head coach, he went in to this season with an offensive scheme that is used a lot in the NBA that he thought would translate to the ACC, a 5 out type of look, a look we didn't even use in that NCAAT run the year before? You go in to a season with a scheme you know will work and then you tweek it to fit your personal. You spend the season perfecting that scheme, not finding yourself having to re-tool, now what, for the 3rd time this season? Bottom line NO ACC team, no college team has players at the level of an NBA team, they may have some big time talents but in the NBA, EVERYONE IS A BIG TIME TALENT. The last guy on a NBA bench was very likely a college star player.

What you typically end up getting when you retool your offensive attack is a lot of confused players and a confused player in the heat of action will revert back to what used to work for him. A confused player will many times look lazy simply because he is thinking rather than playing and they will at times look a bit robotic. I have seen this all season, I saw it a lot last season.

How many of you, like myself, have screamed all season, why are we not pushing the ball, what happened to the vaunted UNC breaks, the up tempo wide open running game that was our back bone to multiple national titles, that basically defined UNC's offense for most of our lives? Last season, Hubert put in a short term fix that seemed to work, the "Iron 5" deal but that isn't a long term plan, it was a short term fix that had to go in place due to his bench not being any where close to ready. Why didn't the "Iron 5" play our (Roy's) running game, because you just can not as a player run like that for 40mins game time, legs wear down. So unless we get a steal we have become a half court offense exclusively.

Being now a half court team that rarely runs, Hubert is calling out set plays constantly and the other team knows our set plays, some may suggest the other teams knows them better than we do? LOL When the initial portion of the set plays breaks down these players seem lost? Where they should be able to transition quickly in to free lance this team seems not to know what to do in free lance? Rather they pound the ball thru the floor eating up the shot clock and some one forces up another jump shot or it goes to one of our weak shooters for a we dare you to take it jumper. There is just no purposeful motion, very little attempt to actually move the defense, it plays in to the teeth of even a poor defense? WE have spent most of this season playing 3 on 5 on the offensive end and folks wonder why our 3 main scorers shoot such a bad %? LOL

I HOPE Hubert will spend a LOT of quality time this off season talking to other head coaches, successful head coaches, spend quality time talking to UNC former players, getting their feed back, and put together how he wants his team to play next season and stick to it. From practice #1 one the coaches message has to be constant and consistent on style of play, it has not been and that is a cardinal sin for a head coach. Stop being as concerned with what kind of cookies they prefer and spend more time being their coach, they don't need you to be their buddy, they need you to direct them on how to win and become better players.

I do think there are clear and comfortable solutions to this and Roy should be the perfect mentor as well as Hubert should now realize that what he wants to do isn't working, so yet another retool is in order, GO BACK TO THE UNC RUNNING GAME! That is the key that fits the lock!

Yess. Not sure if you noticed this, but when Bacot got the block, then sprinted down the floor and Dunn hit him for a fast break bucket, they showed Roy standing up and clapping. He kind of had the look of "there you go".

I think if this team tried to run like Roy’s teams, then we would’ve been even worse this season. The better you are, the faster you should play because you’ll likely be better per possession than your opponent. So you want to play a lot of possessions.

This team isn’t good so I think turning games into high possession games would’ve been a borderline disaster.

I expect us to play faster if once we have better teams. Caleb played better last year. Manek was better than Nance and last year our adjusted tempo was in the top 50.

This year, Caleb is worse, Leaky is worse, Nance is a downgrade. So we’ve slowed down to 86th in adjusted tempo.

I think part of playing slower is that’s how we have to win. I don’t think playing more possessions with Caleb and Leaky is a recipe for success. The more zeroes you have, you need to slow down the game. We have several zeroes on this team.

He can thank Caleb Love for last years post season run and a great end to his first year as HC.

He can thank Caleb Love for doing a complete 180 and have one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember 1 player have. RJ was bad too….. but Caleb…… oh man.

We’ll see how good Hubert is the next 2-3 years. He isn’t getting fired this or next year imo

The first few games this season showed everything we needed to see. The off season wasn't spent preparing for a run this year. I also have no clue how much NIL influences a team like this. Does HD have influence on the NIL deals,or visa versa?

Haven't changed my mind here. Took Hubert 23 minutes of a 40 minute game to recognize Bacot was too hurt to play. UVA took advantage and put together several scoring runs.

I, and I think most of you, could see Bacot laboring and unable to help on either end. It should not have taken until the 2nd half to sit him.

Reactions: Heelicious
Haven't changed my mind here. Took Hubert 23 minutes of a 40 minute game to recognize Bacot was too hurt to play. UVA took advantage and put together several scoring runs.

I, and I think most of you, could see Bacot laboring and unable to help on either end. It should not have taken until the 2nd half to sit him.
Absolutely. But for a few years back, even to Roy - doing your best to win hasn’t been top priority. I know that sounds crazy, but weird dumb loyalty to older players, and to players who have played well when healthy, trumps seeming common sense.

Which is another way of saying Hub flat out sucks at coaching strategy and adjusting/ coaching to the facts and circumstances of the game as they are in gameday. Terrible.

That’s why you aren’t a coach.. coaches believe in their players and they have too cause if they don’t the players won’t believe in themselves ..Bacot has the most double double in school history , first team all Acc and he’s played thru injury before so you are going to give him a chance to play…pulling him in the 2nd half was an adjustment and the right thing to do.. him playing in the first half didn’t cost them the game

He can thank Caleb Love for last years post season run and a great end to his first year as HC.

He can thank Caleb Love for doing a complete 180 and have one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember 1 player have. RJ was bad too….. but Caleb…… oh man.

We’ll see how good Hubert is the next 2-3 years. He isn’t getting fired this or next year imo
If UNC has another season like this season of not even making the NCAA Tournament Hubert is not likely to get a fourth year, The wheels will start to come off (if next season is bad) and no use giving a fourth year to a lame duck coach. Carolina will have enough evidence of three seasons on whether or not Hubert can do the job.

That’s why you aren’t a coach.. coaches believe in their players and they have too cause if they don’t the players won’t believe in themselves ..Bacot has the most double double in school history , first team all Acc and he’s played thru injury before so you are going to give him a chance to play…pulling him in the 2nd half was an adjustment and the right thing to do.. him playing in the first half didn’t cost them the game
Watch the presser and don't try to say Hubert pulled Bacot as an adjustment, Hubert said in the post game Bacot came to him at the 15 minute mark and said I can't play anymore.

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT