ADVERTISEMENT

It woudnt HURTS to see if he is interested....

He's interesting, but I don't think he alone would put us in contention in 2019. I would rather give the reps to the QBs we already have and see what we've got. If Mack was here this year, and our players already had some knowledge and experience of how our new coaching staff wants them to play, then Hurts would be a great addition. I think there is to much of a transition already going on with the program to add Hurts right now.

Last edited:
Well my thinking is this We have a new 4 star in Howell who we can redshirt.... he sits and learns about winning BIG games from Hurts, who also has Ruder and Fortin as backups... more than capable backups. he also will be playing for a ANOTHER coach that has won a Natty....and would be in a situation that many Carolina fans would look upon him as a leader and winner who can WIN some games we might otherwise lose with a less experienced QB. BTW he also will play Clemson as well

Reactions: MWHeels
Well my thinking is this We have a new 4 star in Howell who we can redshirt.... he sits and learns about winning BIG games from Hurts, who also has Ruder and Fortin as backups... more than capable backups. he also will be playing for a ANOTHER coach that has won a Natty....and would be in a situation that many Carolina fans would look upon him as a leader and winner who can WIN some games we might otherwise lose with a less experienced QB. BTW he also will play Clemson as well
As a passer, is Hurts better than Kelly Bryant? Hurts looked heroic throwing the ball vs UGA in his sole game this yr (for one quarter or whatever), but otherwise his passing hasn't been all that great, has it?

prefer to have ruder/fortin/howell take over for 3+ years and start the building process. i think the new norm is that QBs who aren't starting but think they should be starting will soon hit the transfer market.

We could do a LOT worse for one year and a former national Champ

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...on-tide-enters-name-info-ncaa-transfer-portal
You would want to bring in a QB that limited in passing game skills to run a pass-based spread offense?

Hurts is perfect for what the idiot Fedora would prefer to run.

That said, I was very impressed by the work to improve as a passing QB that Hurts had done after losing the starting job. He looked good in the SEC Championship. But, he again looked pedestrian against Clemson. Perhaps he looked so good against UGA because it was totally unexpected. But then Clemson was ready for him.

As a passer, is Hurts better than Kelly Bryant? Hurts looked heroic throwing the ball vs UGA in his sole game this yr (for one quarter or whatever), but otherwise his passing hasn't been all that great, has it?
I'd say Bryant is better in the passing game.

I was just listening to a brief convo on sports radio here in DC and one of the guys is a MD grad and connected. Apparently, Maryland is a real possibility due to Locksley taking over there. There's an obvious connection to Hurts and he would play in big10 against some high caliber teams. That makes a lot of sense...gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Is maryland keeping Matt canada? He could do some effective stuff with Hurts.

I was just listening to a brief convo on sports radio here in DC and one of the guys is a MD grad and connected. Apparently, Maryland is a real possibility due to Locksley taking over there. There's an obvious connection to Hurts and he would play in big10 against some high caliber teams. That makes a lot of sense...gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.
Hurts has all the physical tools to be a 1st rate RB or WR/HB - good enough to make an NFL roster. He's got no chance as a QB. If he spends 1 college season focused on either of those positions, he probably gets drafted.

If I were his advisor, that's what I would stress as he decides what to do.

Seeing Howell in the All-American game, pretty much so. We have 3 guys on campus now who all, I am confident, can be truly 1st rate college QBs.

Yep. All three have way more upside than hurts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT