ADVERTISEMENT

Khafre Brown entering portal

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Is that because he knows 1st rate WR coaching would have developed him much better by now? Is it because he has a huge ego and ignorantly assumes all that matters is his speed?

Is that because he knows 1st rate WR coaching would have developed him much better by now? Is it because he has a huge ego and ignorantly assumes all that matters is his speed?
I'm going with the latter. Isn't it a little early to do that?

Inability to catch the ball has nothing to do with coaching. Not sure if he lost confidence after the injury or what. Regardless, great opportunity to get Jones/Paysour/Blackwell involved in the offense. Simmons might hit the portal soon, too.

Reactions: matt 1976
On the flip side, let's hope we can make good us of the portal in our favor. Hubert sure looks like he has so far.

Would be nice to pick up a couple of grad transfer offensive linemen to buy some time while we (hopefully) bring in some recruits for that unit.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
He won’t be the last one.
Oh, no. There will definitely be more. I think this is also something that Mack isn't prepared for (or wasn't). These kids don't have the loyalty that was prevalent 25 years ago.

Isn't this a little early to declare for the portal, though?

To him, I say:

Hey, dude! Don't drop passes and you'll get played more often and you'll be in the game plan and get your number called a lot. The system is made for you to succeed. Some of it is on you! Your brother flourished in this system! Dazz Newsome flourished in this system. Josh Downs is the conference's leading receiver in this system.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
Oh, no. There will definitely be more. I think this is also something that Mack isn't prepared for (or wasn't). These kids don't have the loyalty that was prevalent 25 years ago.

Isn't this a little early to declare for the portal, though?

To him, I say:

Hey, dude! Don't drop passes and you'll get played more often and you'll be in the game plan and get your number called a lot. The system is made for you to succeed. Some of it is on you! Your brother flourished in this system! Dazz Newsome flourished in this system. Josh Downs is the conference's leading receiver in this system.
If he could catch at all, he'd be sent deep a dozen times a game. if he were to make even just 1 deep catch per game, defenses would have to be altered to take him into account which should mean both more wide open routes for receivers like Olsen and more running room for RBs and scrambling Howell.

And Mack definitely is unaware of what the portal means for the sport. He can't keep charming these players without putting up many nice wins, or else they will leave if they feel that can go anywhere else. Even starters leave if they think that can start on a team with a better chance to win the conference championship or make playoffs or a NYD 6 bowl.

That said, Mack should FORCE Searels to spend this week practicing a whole bunch of OL non-starters with Howell and 1st team TE, WRs, and RB. Prove to them that Searels knows his starters are less than what is expected and that he could even have a 'Blue Team' OL ready to go any time. Otherwise, we also could see promising young OL players in the portal.

And Searels and Mack and Longo have passed on potentially sound OL recruits they could have signed the past 2 years.

Last edited:
If he could catch at all, he'd be sent deep a dozen times a game. if he were to make even just 1 deep catch per game, defenses would have to be altered to take him into account which should mean both more wide open routes for receivers like Olsen and more running room for RBs and scrambling Howell.

And Mack definitely is unaware of what the portal means for the sport. He can't keep charming these players without putting up many nice wins, or else they will leave if they feel that can go anywhere else. Even starters leave if they think that can start on a team with a better chance to win the conference championship or make playoffs or a NYD 6 bowl.

That said, Mack should FORCE Searels to spend this week practicing a whole bunch of OL non-starters with Howell and 1st team TE, WRs, and RB. Prove to them that Searels knows his starters are less than what is expected and that he could even have a 'Blue Team' OL ready to go any time. Otherwise, we also could see promising young OL players in the portal.

And Searels and Mack and Longo have passed on potentially sound OL recruits they could have signed the past 2 years.
I'm not sure playing on the New Year's Day bowl makes any difference. They played on the New Year's Day bowl last year and five of them sat out of the game and quit on the team. So what difference does it make with bowl game they go to?

Hate he is leaving, but as many have said, dropped passes have been a problem. Kid has a ton of potential and could have been a star had he worked through the rough patches. The grass may or may not be greener.

I would love to see Gosnell get an opportunity to play more. He was seeing limited time for two games in a row and had one catch. With the exception of Downs our starters are just not playing well. Let some of the bench guy's see if they can produce better than the current starters. IMO worth a shot.

Can’t blame him. Not gonna use him then go elsewhere. He may have dropped a few but good lord don’t give up on him so soon.

I hope he changes his mind I guess because he’s an in state recruit and we know he has good bloodlines. Hate to lose the in state guys. Our luck he will end up at one of our future opponents and kill us.

I hope he changes his mind I guess because he’s an in state recruit and we know he has good bloodlines. Hate to lose the in state guys. Our luck he will end up at one of our future opponents and kill us.
I don't care if he leaves. He seems like a player that will quit on the team when they go to a bowl, and not play.

Judging by what the father of a current player is saying, looks like more dominos will start falling soon for UNC in regards to the transfer portal.

Only if he learns how to catch the ball.

Judging by what the father of a current player is saying, looks like more dominos will start falling soon for UNC in regards to the transfer portal.
If I were a young guy on the OL, and seeing the same bad crap from Searels's chosen 2 and 3 year starters (and the same 2nd team 2 or 3 guys that Searels thinks ready to play some), I would be ready to hit the road.

Don't blame him. I don't understand recruiting bigs for a 3-4 but end up only playing 2 bigs most plays. It makes no sense and keeps our Lb's getting manhandled by much bigger Olinemen.

I hope this causes the staff to reevaluate roster management. Assuming any of the young guys are still here after the season.
Cross praised him to high heaven when he signed. Does Cross just spew BS? Did Cross terribly mis-evaluate his talent level or his work ethic? Does Pinder have a legit beef about not being developed?

Unless the team is winning well, and looking tough and well coached when losing, such questions will be asked openly and more insistently with each portal entry.

Helluva job they're doing. Hey! See if Dick Crum wants to make an encore.
I am not going to bash Crum, even though I did know he needed to be fired. Two reasons: he was the HC for our last ACC championship, and I have heard that Ron Burton does not like Crum being bashed. I'd be very happy if Burton were to replace Cross.

Of course, Burton might tell Mack that he might make the move if Mack would hire another Crum era alum with major Big Ten experience: Kevin Wilson.

I am not going to bash Crum, even though I did know he needed to be fired. Two reasons: he was the HC for our last ACC championship, and I have heard that Ron Burton does not like Crum being bashed. I'd be very happy if Burton were to replace Cross.

Of course, Burton might tell Mack that he might make the move if Mack would hire another Crum era alum with major Big Ten experience: Kevin Wilson.
I was being facetious. It was a joke based on hiring a coach who already coached before.

Cross praised him to high heaven when he signed. Does Cross just spew BS? Did Cross terribly mis-evaluate his talent level or his work ethic? Does Pinder have a legit beef about not being developed?

Unless the team is winning well, and looking tough and well coached when losing, such questions will be asked openly and more insistently with each portal entry.
You always mention being "developed". Ritzie and Murphy look like studs, no? Is that because they've been developed? Or maybe it's because they're getting experience on the field? Pinder played in 5 games last year but suffered a broken hand before the season while only playing in 1 game this season. But to add to your conspiracy theories, also could be about Silver/Shaw/Murphy/KBJ/Ritzie just being better.

You always mention being "developed". Ritzie and Murphy look like studs, no? Is that because they've been developed? Or maybe it's because they're getting experience on the field? Pinder played in 5 games last year but suffered a broken hand before the season while only playing in 1 game this season. But to add to your conspiracy theories, also could be about Silver/Shaw/Murphy/KBJ/Ritzie just being better.
This!
Kevin Hester is playing okay for a soph, is that blind luck or because he was "developed". He played like a single yr of HS fball.

Playing as a lineman in college isn't easy. Kevin Hester is simply playing better than Pinder and BOTH are sophomores. So next yr Pinder has to compete with Hester, KBJ, 5* Travis Shaw, perhaps Jahlil could still be around.

There is a common theme with the kids that have entered the portal. They were all buried on the depth chart and they see even more talent coming in next year. This is what big boy football looks like. When we start losing starters to the portal, then I will pay more attention to it.

Also, when players use the excuse of not being developed, that is such a load of crap. Name one kid that we have lost or gotten for that matter who ended up making a significant impact? Kids and their parents/relatives use the not developed excuse because their pride won't let them say that their kid just wasn't good enough to play P5 football.

Guess that’s not gonna happen unless Brewster is the new coach or retained which both is doubtful
I could see him possibly being picked up by the new staff. He's a recruiter, not a coach. Everyone needs a good recruiter and the best recruiters can be hard to come by.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT