ADVERTISEMENT

Kingsbury getting looks for NFL HC jobs

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
plural - not just 1 opening.

One thing I think that highlights is that most NFL HCs do not truly run anything - the GM does, and the GM answers directly to the owner. The HC does what the GM lays out.

Kingsbury can be a successful HC in the NFL if the GM makes certain he has a top DC and he has talented players, via draft and trade and free agent. In terms of major college football, that would make Kingsbury a glorified OC.

plural - not just 1 opening.

One thing I think that highlights is that most NFL HCs do not truly run anything - the GM does, and the GM answers directly to the owner. The HC does what the GM lays out.

Kingsbury can be a successful HC in the NFL if the GM makes certain he has a top DC and he has talented players, via draft and trade and free agent. In terms of major college football, that would make Kingsbury a glorified OC.

Whichever team hires Kingsbury, I'm sure the right offensive pieces will be put into place to run his offense effectively.

USC is blocking Kingsbury from taking interviews with NFL teams. I don't see how they are allowed to do that unless it's expressed in the contract he signed with USC. I can leave my employer any time I want as long as follow the proper procedures for doing so. But they can't do stop me from pursuing other jobs. I don't see why Kingsbury's job USC would be any different.

USC is blocking Kingsbury from taking interviews with NFL teams. I don't see how they are allowed to do that unless it's expressed in the contract he signed with USC. I can leave my employer any time I want as long as follow the proper procedures for doing so. But they can't do stop me from pursuing other jobs. I don't see why Kingsbury's job USC would be any different.
Apparently it’s an nfl rule now that they must get permission from the college first or they could lose draft picks. Kingsbury should’ve held off on taking that job if he knew he was still interested in going to the pros.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Ok, that makes sense. He definitely made a bad move accepting that job if they still had any interest in the NFL this year.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Helton is screwed if he resigns. It would take a miracle for him to keep his job after the 2019 season.

Setting up Urban Meyer to take that job a year after his second retirement.

giphy.gif

There are rumors that Kingsbury is even willing to pay his own buyout to leave USC. This is quickly becoming a bad situation for Swann and USC.

Here's a way USC can possibly resolve this - fire Helton and offer Kingsbury the head coach job.

Here's a way USC can possibly resolve this - fire Helton and offer Kingsbury the head coach job.
He's not even a .500 HC. No SC booster would go for that. They are already arranging for a big name if Helton falls flat in 2019.

This boggles the mind. And once again proves my theory that most of these big time sports execs get jobs because of who they know, not what they know. Let's see. You have a struggling NFL franchise and need a new coach. Yea, let's go hire a guy that couldn't win, and just got fired at Texas Tech. Forget the record, he looks great in a suit, always wears the most fashionable sun glasses, and is intriguing a personality with his Playboy lifestyle. Please. Geniuses? I think not. Maybe if they we're hung up on that offense then go to Pullman, Washington and get the godfather of the whole thing. Yea, Mike Leach. The coach that actually won at a high level in Lubbock, Texas.

Last edited:
This boggles the mind. And once again proves my theory that most of these big time sports execs get jobs because of who they know, not what they know. Let's see. You have a struggling NFL franchise and need a new coach. Yea, let's go hire a guy that couldn't win, and just got fired at Texas Tech. Forget the record, he looks great in a suit, always wears the most fashionable sun glasses, and is intriguing a personality with his Playboy lifestyle. Please. Geniuses? I think not. Maybe if they we're hung up on that offers then go to Pullman, Washington and get the godfather of the whole thing. Yea, Mike Leach. The coach that actually won at a high level in Lubbock, Texas.

Playboy lifestyle? Apparently I need to read up on the guy...

The boy is a player of the highest level. Young, good looking, and rich. Enjoying his single status to the fullest.

Last edited:
This boggles the mind. And once again proves my theory that most of these big time sports execs get jobs because of who they know, not what they know. Let's see. You have a struggling NFL franchise and need a new coach. Yea, let's go hire a guy that couldn't win, and just got fired at Texas Tech. Forget the record, he looks great in a suit, always wears the most fashionable sun glasses, and is intriguing a personality with his Playboy lifestyle. Please. Geniuses? I think not. Maybe if they we're hung up on that offers then go to Pullman, Washington and get the godfather of the whole thing. Yea, Mike Leach. The coach that actually won at a high level in Lubbock, Texas.

You make really good points. He hasn't done much at Texas Tech. Everyone in the NFL is looking for the next McVay and Kingsbury fits the proflle in their eyes.

Last edited:
He is a losing college HC. But he gets an NFL HC job.

If the GM provides many good players and the right assistant coaches, he could be a winner in the NFL.

He's going to need to hire a strong defensive staff.

I want to be an NFL GM. We all seem to have as much football sense as most of them. Sure, let's go hire the guy that just got fired at Texas Tech. Incredible.

Reactions: MWHeels
It’s a copy-cat league. They all think they need to find the next Sean McVay. Packers are doing the same thing with Matt LaFluer. It might work out... but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Reactions: MWHeels
It’s a copy-cat league. They all think they need to find the next Sean McVay. Packers are doing the same thing with Matt LaFluer. It might work out... but I wouldn’t bet on it.
It can work with the right guy given all the right pieces. The odds of that go down with each hire attempting to play follow the leader.

Wow. I guess he can skirt the rule by resigning. Man, I’m glad Mack had enough sense not to pursue him now. What a mess.
On the surface it looks bad for Kliff but I’m pretty sure no one, not even KK, thought he would be getting mentioned for HC jobs in the NFL. You can’t stay an OC when the NFL wants you as a HC. That gig changes the trajectory of your life. Especially at 39 with a young, talented QB.

FWIW, we’ve already lost an O-line coach to another program.

On the surface it looks bad for Kliff but I’m pretty sure no one, not even KK, thought he would be getting mentioned for HC jobs in the NFL. You can’t stay an OC when the NFL wants you as a HC. That gig changes the trajectory of your life. Especially at 39 with a young, talented QB.

FWIW, we’ve already lost an O-line coach to another program.
I don’t blame the dude. There’s only 32 of those jobs so take it when you can get it.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
What really helps McVay with the Rams is they have a lot of talent on defense in addition to their skill players on offense. They aren't a one-dimensional team. If the Packers and Cardinals don't focus on that side of the ball too, these hires won't work.

With Kingsbury getting hired, and showing just how mindless NFL execs can be, would we be shocked to see Fedora trotted out as the Jets new head coach. Seems all it takes to be qualified is to be fired from a mediocre program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT