ADVERTISEMENT

KY v UNC Pregame

al would

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2009
So what about the KY v UNC match up? I have yet to see a ky game but by looking at the stats I see a couple of things that jump out. Seems like ky has a balanced scoring team with some big guards that shoot a really good % from both 2 & 3 and use a rotation of 8 players and it doesn't look like they have a big that plays a lot of minutes that could cause Mando problems but height doesn't mean length. Looks like they like to run and score a lot of ppg. By stats it doesn't look like they are defensively impressive.

Quick thoughts .. seems their big guards and very respectable 2 & 3pt shooting should be a concern considering our continuing problems with closing out on the 3 pt. shooters. Will their guard size cause us problems on both ends of the floor. Will Ryan be a stud or a dud again? Could Seth be a difference with his quickness both O&D and maybe more importantly can Ingram continue to find those creases and cracks that he so efficiently managed to exploit v UConn.

What do guys see being the difference between a W or L in this one? GO HEELS !!

At first glance, I think the team that shoots the ball from 3 better will win the game. At second glance, Kentucky's rate of 3-point attempts has fallen off considerably over the last three games. They went from attempting 25-38 at the beginning of the season, to 17-21 in the last 3 games. So I'll be interested to see how many Kentucky shoots it from 3.

It will be an interesting matchup. They do not value getting offensive rebounds. So getting out in transition will be more difficult against Kentucky. Apart from Aaron Bradshaw, this is a very minimal offensive rebounding group. I haven't watched a ton of Kentucky, but their numbers indicate that 4 guys get back in transition at minimum. So transition against them will be interesting. They also do not get to the free-throw line at all.

It will be an interesting matchup. It's a make-or-miss game. Hopefully, Ryan finds his shooting in this one. Probably higher scoring, but Kentucky offers some interesting challenges.

Interestingly, a Kentucky team has gone this route where they play fast, they shoot a ton of 3's, they don't get to the foul line, and they don't care about offensive rebounding. Offensive rebounding and shooting free throws were 2 things you could almost bookmark each year for Calipari's Kentucky teams. This year, they've gone the complete opposite.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully, the ball finds the bottom of the net a few more times for us than them in this one.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Their guards are big, athletic and don’t turn the ball over. EC and RJ will have their hands full. They play fast and an up and down game probably benefits them more so than us IMO. They shoot the 3 really well. Bradshaw is just coming back from injury. He’s a skinny athletic big that will block some shots but can get pushed away from the basket by Bacot. I think Carolina has the edge in the post and they may have a slight edge at guard. If Ryan stinks it up again from the perimeter, we won’t win this game.

They have played the whole season without their three 7-footers, up until the UNC-W game where they got one of them back.

They may have the other two 7-footers available for the first time this Saturday. So that completely changes how they will play. They had been playing small ball, and shooting a ton of 3s.

Limiting 3 point looks for them should be stressed. Sheppard and his crew are going to seek looks.

They will ball pressure, so Caudeu handling that could open up opportunities in the half court.

Ryan should of healed sufficiently with the 10 days in between games to have two solid puppies under him.

Mando and Ingram physicality could cause major issues for them if we handle the ball pressure and are not forced to start the offense too far out.

Limiting 3 point looks for them should be stressed. Sheppard and his crew are going to seek looks.

They will ball pressure, so Caudeu handling that could open up opportunities in the half court.

Ryan should of healed sufficiently with the 10 days in between games to have two solid puppies under him.

Mando and Ingram physicality could cause major issues for them if we handle the ball pressure and are not forced to start the offense too far out.
This seems to be based entirely on how UK played with their three 7-footers unavailable. Not how they may look if they have all three 7-footers back, and return to Calipari's classic style of play.

I said it before UConn game and I will say it here.. If we shoot well from outside, we will win. Ryan stunk it up last game and thats why we lost. If he hit 2 or 3 of his threes, the outcome could have been a lot different.

RJ and Bacot have to be dominant as well. I know Bacot likes to bend over and take it when he goes against bigger athletic guys.

I did highlight him by saying Sheppard and his crew will seek 3's. Kid has been really good so far.
lol sorry. Evidently I didn’t see his name when I read your post. Question dtodd, my limited time checking them out I’ve noticed his offense of course. How is his defense? I can’t remember him standing out good or bad. Anyone?

lol sorry. Evidently I didn’t see his name when I read your post. Question dtodd, my limited time checking them out I’ve noticed his offense of course. How is his defense? I can’t remember him standing out good or bad. Anyone?
Sheppards defense is really good. Like to steal the ball a lot. Averages 3spg.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I think for us to win we will need a sold shooting night from Ryan, his scoring is that other guy that allows us to spread out the court and allows Cadeau to operate. But when he kicks it back to Ryan for the cleaner jumper Ryan has to drop it in. I do believe it would really help us to give Jalen some minutes at the 4, his shooting can draw out the longer defender at the 4 so that he can not help out in the paint. Ingram in my view is a better scorer from the 3, it gives him a typical size mismatch that he is really good playing over.

I have never seen Kalipari as much of a coach that game plans well or makes solid in game adjustments, he relies on his talent to do what they do which many times means they just try to out score you rather than get in a a tough defensive game but he does usually have shot blockers that erase a lot of their mistakes, they have been missing that so far but they have 3 different 7ft guys that are all about ready to return, one already has. If they go twin towers with 2 7ft guys in together then we really need to counter with Jalen at the 4 and Ingram at the 3.

Reactions: Heels5150
I think for us to win we will need a sold shooting night from Ryan, his scoring is that other guy that allows us to spread out the court and allows Cadeau to operate. But when he kicks it back to Ryan for the cleaner jumper Ryan has to drop it in. I do believe it would really help us to give Jalen some minutes at the 4, his shooting can draw out the longer defender at the 4 so that he can not help out in the paint. Ingram in my view is a better scorer from the 3, it gives him a typical size mismatch that he is really good playing over.

I have never seen Kalipari as much of a coach that game plans well or makes solid in game adjustments, he relies on his talent to do what they do which many times means they just try to out score you rather than get in a a tough defensive game but he does usually have shot blockers that erase a lot of their mistakes, they have been missing that so far but they have 3 different 7ft guys that are all about ready to return, one already has. If they go twin towers with 2 7ft guys in together then we really need to counter with Jalen at the 4 and Ingram at the 3.
You brought up a good point with wash’s shooting. I lol at a few peeps bragging on Seth’s percentages vs Cormack for the simple fact he’s not taken many shots for a really good sample, but one can say the same thing for wash for shooting 100 from deep.

You brought up a good point with wash’s shooting. I lol at a few peeps bragging on Seth’s percentages vs Cormack for the simple fact he’s not taken many shots for a really good sample, but one can say the same thing for wash for shooting 100 from deep.
I am very much a Seth guy but I am not yet convinced in Seth's improved shooting, most of his points now are coming from finishes at the rim and frankly he had that in high school before coming to us. I want to see his improved shooting but so far I am not satisfied. If he is either now or will get to the level of a Kenny Williams like jump shooter and still be able to finish at the rim as he can, then we have an out standing player, I have to see more jumpers for me to tell if he is there just yet. He may already be a better defender than Kenny was and that is saying a ton!

UK is a terrible match-up for us in my opinion. They have six guys averaging double digit scoring, hit over 40% of their 3's and have a TEAM a/to ratio almost 2/1. Heels have 4 guys doing the same, about 35% from deep and only Cadeau has better a/to than the UK team average. They are long and athletic and now they have inside depth. They looked scary against Kansas but also lost to UNC-W.

I am hoping Cal tries to coach because if just lets them play and they are hitting the long ball it could be bad. UNC defense has not been good the last few games overall and that is being kind. Right now I think UK has a higher ceiling but also a much lower floor. I would not be surprised by a 5 point win or a 15 point loss.

I've only caught one of their games in full and bits of others, but defensively they seemed less then usual. He certainly did not stand out. If they cannot ball pressure, I am hoping with Cadeau running the show we can get the ball in much better attacking areas as opposed to our struggles in that area the past few times we have faced them

I've only caught one of their games in full and bits of others, but defensively they seemed less then usual. He certainly did not stand out. If they cannot ball pressure, I am hoping with Cadeau running the show we can get the ball in much better attacking areas as opposed to our struggles in that area the past few times we have faced them
I agree and this year seems diff for me. Last year I felt if we didn’t shoot it really well from deep that we had no chance. I think we can compete and be pedestrian from three. No stats to prove it, just a feeling or eye test I guess. I also believe if Cormack and others are remotely on then we are very dangerous for anyone.

We always seem to get UK's best shot (would love to see the squad that played UNCW, but not hopeful), so it will likely take two good halves and either better outside shooting or way better defense, or both. Some production and minutes off the bench might be helpful too.

I think we're capable of the shooting, if certain folks visited with a sports psychologist over the break. I am not sure how good we are capable of being on defense.

I'm not sure if we'll ever find out if we are capable of being productive off the bench. For whatever reason, Hubert doesn't use ours much. Most of what I've read nationally this week seems to lean UK's way because they have depth. We'll see!

Bubs hit the nail on the head. They are bigger and better shooters. Against RJ and ECad they will be able to get their shots off if those two dont do a great job of denying the ball. The only way we win (and I think we will play well) is if the chemistry with getting big men back for Calipari throws a wrench in the system for them. But at the end of the day we got torched by a 6-3 freshman guard in Monk a few years back. Everybody has to do their job, and Bacot cant look at those 7 footers and try and play soft because they are big. He needs to take it to them and use that big body of his for fouls and dunks. In the end I think they might be a little too deep. I think if we do win we will get some points from someone we werent expecting from that is the difference.

Their 7 footers are mostly skinny guys. Bacot needs to go right at them from the jump. Getting into the bonus early will be key.

They're a deep team, much deeper than us. Imagine having Sheppard, Dillingham, and Bradshaw coming off your bench! Ridiculous depth.

I think Mando has to stay out of foul trouble because Washington's lack of D will be a killer against these guys, and with some of their 7 footers back their rebounding could be fierce too.

Sheppard and Dillingham are impossibly hot from 3 this season, so hopefully we get a few more bouncing out. 3 point luck could make a difference as these teams are fairly evenly matched.

Similar to the UConn game I think Ingram needs to have a showing, as wing is where UK is the thinnest. Edwards and Thierro aren't good. Ingram should go for 20+ and several assists. If the other guys play a clean game I think we have a good shot.

Sheppard and Dillingham are impossibly hot from 3 this season
Yeah. Our closing out, or not even attempting to guard, the open 3's has become the elephant in the room when it comes to UNC's (lack of) defense the last few years. And with the KY guard size this could be a BIG problem tomorrow. Would really like to see Seth get some good PT and as the above poster said Ingram could be a difference maker. Not sure who ky will have available tomorrow on the interior but you can bet whoever they put on the floor ky will seriously want to kick some UNC ass .. just the way it's always been. And hopefully vice versa !!

Won't surprise me one bit if Calipari plays the big foreign 7 footer even though he's not cleared by the NCAA.

The NCAA just settled a lawsuit with several state AGs. Now all multi-year transfers are eligible. Which means that as long as you threaten an anti trust lawsuit the NCAA will eventually rule your player is eligible. So NCAA eligibility rules really have no meaning anymore.

Calipari has done very well in the uk/UNC series. We will get their best tomorrow. Make no mistake, tomorrow’s game is on the biggest stage with tons of scouts watching and Calipari’s kids are playing for NBA contracts since most of them go to uk to launch their NBA career. They will bring it, the question is what will UNC do to counter it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT