ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Fedora explains why Gene Chizik was his No. 1 choice

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Larry-Fedora-explains-why-he-hired-Gene-Chizik-at-North-Carolina

I didn’t have to sell a whole lot,” Fedora told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “Gene and I had a relationship. We’d never worked together, but we’d competed against each other for quite a few years. When I was at Middle Tennessee, he was at UCF. I went to Florida, he went to Auburn. I went to Oklahoma State, he went to Texas. We competed against each other as offensive and defensive coordinators, so we had a tremendous amount of respect for each other, and a friendship.

“I just felt like, when I was going to make a change, Gene was the No. 1 guy on my list. He was the perfect guy for the job. When I approached Gene about it, and when he started thinking, he hadn’t thought about it, and he saw all the positives, and he realized we’re very close to accomplishing what we want to accomplish here, and he thinks he can be the guy that can push us over the top.”

In February, Chizik made a point to say he didn’t have to get back into coaching, and decisions moving forward in his life are based on quality of life. He sees that with UNC and Chapel Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News