ADVERTISEMENT

Mack

Xlance

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2014
No staff changes = Mack's last year in '22?

Mack does not look well. He had lost a lot of weight prior to his knee replacement surgery. but has gained it all back (and more).
Tired and frustrated is not a good recipe for your head football coach.

Then we better be getting ourselves aligned with a potential quality replacement so as to maintain the recruits we have gathered. I would expect some changes.

No staff changes = Mack's last year in '22?

Mack does not look well. He had lost a lot of weight prior to his knee replacement surgery. but has gained it all back (and more).
Tired and frustrated is not a good recipe for your head football coach.
Makes you wonder. But you'd think he'd like more W's in his last yr if true.

Makes you wonder. But you'd think he'd like more W's in his last yr if true.
I fear Mack is far too stubborn. He demands you take him, warty assistants and all. And he has long celebrated his recruiting prowess: Mr February. I think he is prouder of his recruiting classes than he is bothered by the many problems on display this season.

Mack has done exactly what he was hired to do. Sooth the feelings of the big donors and bring those money in with everybody on the same page. And to recruit. Those talents have always been Mack's strength. I game coaching has never been one of those strengths. Mack has always seemed to be good for two, three, games a year where one wonders exactly what they were thinking. And even though he had a couple teams at Texas where he had so much talent that they couldn't screw it up, he couldn't keep it going and the rests like we have seen this year is what got him run out of Texas. 22 may be Mack's swan song. Mack is 70. Nick Saban has the aura where he can get away with it on the recruiting trail. Not sure Mack does.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Mack has done exactly what he was hired to do. Sooth the feelings of the big donors and bring those money in with everybody on the same page. And to recruit. Those talents have always been Mack's strength. I game coaching has never been one of those strengths. Mack has always seemed to be good for two, three, games a year where one wonders exactly what they were thinking. And even though he had a couple teams at Texas where he had so much talent that they couldn't screw it up, he couldn't keep it going and the rests like we have seen this year is what got him run out of Texas. 22 may be Mack's swan song. Mack is 70. Nick Saban has the aura where he can get away with it on the recruiting trail. Not sure Mack does.
You have voiced almost exactly what I warned about from the time he was hired.

A coach known for great recruiting who is over 70 and who is struggling to win more than 7 or 8 games is going to see his recruiting prowess start to diminish. Top players prefer to won - Not win as in back into a lower tier bowl but win as in top bowls, division titles, conference championships, playoffs.

Mack being hired made sense only if everyone agreed that it was meant for no more than 5 or 6, maybe 7, seasons, and that long only if Mack were able to win a couple of division titles. Keeping Mack longer than 4 years when he can't win the weaker ACC division is only going to retard the football program another half decade or more.

Should the D be better next year? Yes. But there is no guarantee. The '21 D should have been better than it was. But next year will mean a new starting QB. And 3 or 4 new starters on the OL. The OL is bad this year with an experienced group of 8 Searels favorites. Can it be any better next year with newbies?

Does anybody believe that UNC can win the Coastal in 2022? Miami should be well stocked next year. Pitt will be sound if Pickett can be replaced with an above average QB. Bronco Mendenhall is a sound, steady coach who gets as much out of his talent as is possible. The right new coach at VT could produce a better team next year. GT should be no worse next year and probably a bit better.

Back to my original premise. If Mack makes no staff changes for next year, it will be his last.

I am not comfortable with Bubba making the selection for Mack's replacement.

Back to my original premise. If Mack makes no staff changes for next year, it will be his last.

The problem for Bubba will be the old one: many top basketball boosters demand a football coach who meets their definition of good character. They are the same ding dongs who would have been happy with Larry Brown as basketball coach because he was a winner and a Dean Smith pet.

To such people, Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin have character issues that make them No-Nos, but a totally corrupt 'family member' is OK for basketball, as long as he wins.

I don't think Bubba had much of a role in Mack's hiring. The coaches he's had a hand in hiring seem to be doing a pretty good job so far.

i like mack a lot, and i am concerned about his health. i'm almost his age and i know my mental alertness and energy level are much better when i exercise and keep the weight off. in mack's case it's even more important for him to stay physically fit as a leader of athletes.

Boosters and school administrators wanted Mack.
The same guys that hired Butch were responsible in bring Mack back. There are personal relationships there, however the overriding desire is to have Carolina become a football champion.
BTW, the same guys had lined up Spurrier and he would have been our coach if Bunting hadn't screwed up and upset Miami.

The point is, if Mack is not up to the task, personal relationships aside, these guys would not hesitate to go to Mack and suggest that it was time.

The only thing that matters today is State. A win won't salvage the season. We haven't really bothered to show up to very many games this year. But a complete game on both sides of the ball for four quarters resulting in a win would be mighty nice. Hopefully they find a way to get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
The only thing that matters today is State. A win won't salvage the season. We haven't really bothered to show up to very many games this year. But a complete game on both sides of the ball for four quarters resulting in a win would be mighty nice. Hopefully they find a way to get it done.
You are right: a win over Moo can't save the season, but it sure would give us all a nice feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT