ADVERTISEMENT

Manley

Sterling undoubtedly possesses the physical skills(size, athleticism, good hands) to play in the ACC. But his injuries have cost him two seasons of basketball development. Like Joel James, he is behind most post guys his age in that regard. But his raw ability far exceeds Joel's.

Now I understand that many are not real excited about Huffman, Manley, or Platek, as none are highly ranked. But it seems a few are coming around re: Huffman with his recent play. And by the end of the year, I think Manley will be growing on them too. Maybe not. If Roy likes them, so do I.

As Manley learns to use his new body and his conditioning improves, he'll do nothing but improve. I have the patience to allow him time to catch up with his peers.

Hope he makes the team. I fully expect him to develop into a really good player. (provided he continues to show the same dedication it took to come back from injuries)

Yeah, there are a ton of nominees and only 24 will make the final cut. It would be unbelievable if Manley or Huffman made the team. Heck, Felton may not even make it.

The two NC State hogs pushed Bradley around pretty good inside. It's hard to deal with all that weight backing into you when you weigh 100 lbs less then the opposing player. The same thing happened with Manley against Wesson.

Imagine Bradley AFTER Jonas has him for a full year!
Now imaging what they could do with Manley with the same amount of time.

A simple comparison of the development or lack of same between Anya and Meeks should clear up any doubt in our team!

A good deal of my belief in Manley becoming a starter level talent is my faith in the ability of the UNC coaches and strength/conditioning staff!

I think believing Manley and Huffman will be solid players after some time in the program is accurate. I think it is pretty optimistic to think they can contribute a lot next year though. They may have to play and will go through some pains if so. Hopefully the fans will understand the situation. Probably not though.

I think believing Manley and Huffman will be solid players after some time in the program is accurate. I think it is pretty optimistic to think they can contribute a lot next year though. They may have to play and will go through some pains if so. Hopefully the fans will understand the situation. Probably not though.
I think Huffman can make a significant contribution next year. Manley's going to need more time due to missing large chunks of the last two seasons.

As for the highlighted part, I'm not holding my breath.

Just found this vid on Sterling that I hadn't seen before.

I liked what I saw in that clip a little better than the previous one. Too short (the clip) but helpful.

Clearly he needs to spend a lot of time on strength and conditioning, but he looks like his frame can put on muscle.

He runs a bit oddly. I hope that isn't some residual from his injuries that could cause him trouble. Since it was a short clip, it could just have been a fluke, too.

Anybody know his wingspan? He's tall, but his wingspan looks average at best. But, again, it could just have been the angles in that short clip.

Showed good touch around the basket. Will need more strength to do that at the next level. But he's promising.

Ehhhh. This young fella will need every bit of 3-4 years before he's a player for us. In saying that he does possess good quickness in getting the ball up. He does however have limited bounce and didn't see anything that makes me believe he'll be a top level finisher at the rim. Another "he's what's left" recruit that Roy has had to sign here lately. Hopefully better to come.

Think I will just be patient and see what he-Huffman bring before writing them off.

I think him and Huffman are at very different spots right now as players. Huff looks like he can earn minutes right away next season while Manley still looks very much like a project.

Nothing wrong with it, just don't think it's necessarily fair to either to expect the same from them.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Hope no one thought I was saying they were the same. Huff is a dern BULL. Raw as all get out but LOVE his attitude.

Reactions: dadika13
Huff appears much more ready for minutes than Manley from what I see. Manley is definitely a project big that will develop into a solid role player by his junior year. I'd foresee Huff being the first big off the bench next year and mainly backing up Bradley and Maye with Manley getting spot minutes.

Huffman will get major minutes next season, Manley will get a few a game. We will be very happy with both.
Agree. And, as long as everyone comes to terms with reasonable expectations, we'll hopefully avoid the poster tantrums next season..... ok, those can't be avoided but we can only hope.

Is Manley just as good as to Duke's Chase Jeter at the same stage?

I think Huffman can make a significant contribution next year. Manley's going to need more time due to missing large chunks of the last two seasons.

As for the highlighted part, I'm not holding my breath.

Huffman i think can help us next season because he has a college ready to play body and a pretty darn good motor, does not look to do things outside of his skill set. I see him as a bit like Hicks as a soph when he was physically ready to deal with college level bodies but still some what raw skill wise, looked to dunk everything.

Manley clearly is a harder call, not sure how much of what I see from him right now is rust, how much is it his team not featuring him, or how much of it is just him as a player. He is 6'10-11" and weighs in somewhere around 235-245lbs depending on who you believe. From what I see the big thing missing is stamina but I do think he needs to put in work in the weight room, no matter what the scales say I see him as needing another 10lbs of muscle before he is a real factor, I see Tony needing that to if not more.

IMO, how much Manley plays next season depends on if we get Knox or not and of course I want us to get Knox so we can bring Huff and Manley off the bench and not have to depend on them so much right away.

Reactions: Archer2
Warren Martin was a valuable component of championships, many wins and had a 3 year Pro career.
Career
Year
Games MPG PPG APG RPG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
1981 - 1982 19 2.9 0.7 0.1 0.8 0.1 0.1 0.3 46.7 0.0 0.0
1982 - 1983 35 12.1 3.1 0.4 3.0 0.1 0.7 1.1 59.7 58.5 0.0
1984 - 1985 36 20.4 9.6 1.2 5.5 0.3 2.3 2.1 59.6 68.0 0.0
1985 - 1986 29 16.1 6.9 0.6 4.5 0.6 2.8 1.4 60.3 79.7 0.0

Career 119 14.1 5.6 0.7 3.8 0.3 1.6 1.3 59.4 67.8 0.0

I would certainly take those numbers from a third or fourth big as floor and expect we can coach him up to even better! Who wouldn't take 10 points and 6 rebounds and a 60% FG rate/80% Freethrows. If Manley can do that and Huffman can give us 8 points and 12 rebounds, we will be a real problem by their sophomore season. I'm patient enough to enjoy that journey. If we get more elite talent, these guys get another year of development and then I expect some dividends! (Both of these guys begin with more skill and athleticism than Warren Martin.)

WM is the perfect example of how good UNC is at developing Bigs!

Warren Martin was a valuable component of championships, many wins and had a 3 year Pro career.
Career
Year
Games MPG PPG APG RPG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
1981 - 1982 19 2.9 0.7 0.1 0.8 0.1 0.1 0.3 46.7 0.0 0.0
1982 - 1983 35 12.1 3.1 0.4 3.0 0.1 0.7 1.1 59.7 58.5 0.0
1984 - 1985 36 20.4 9.6 1.2 5.5 0.3 2.3 2.1 59.6 68.0 0.0
1985 - 1986 29 16.1 6.9 0.6 4.5 0.6 2.8 1.4 60.3 79.7 0.0
Career
119 14.1 5.6 0.7 3.8 0.3 1.6 1.3 59.4 67.8 0.0

I would certainly take those numbers from a third or fourth big as floor and expect we can coach him up to even better! Who wouldn't take 10 points and 6 rebounds and a 60% FG rate/80% Freethrows. If Manley can do that and Huffman can give us 8 points and 12 rebounds, we will be a real problem by their sophomore season. I'm patient enough to enjoy that journey. If we get more elite talent, these guys get another year of development and then I expect some dividends! (Both of these guys begin with more skill and athleticism than Warren Martin.)

WM is the perfect example of how good UNC is at developing Bigs!
I vaguely recall that they had Warren Martin take ballet classes or some sort of serious dance classes to help him move with more coordination and balance in games. Seemed to pay of. He was a real klutz early on and overcame it.

I'm sorry, but to even compare Manley to Martin is, IMO ludicrous. First, Manley is much more athletic and already has more inside moves than Warren(who I loved BTW.) Second, Manley has been dealing with injury issues that Warren never had to deal with. I love, love, love the comparisons with Warren and Desmond. IMO, they are apples to oranges. In two years, we'll see who's right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT