ADVERTISEMENT

Miami does not look good

I'm wondering what their AD's decision making process was with this hire. Was Diaz his top choice or was it Cristobal and he either turned them down or they wouldn't pay his buyout?

Diaz has built a strong defense at Miami, but he now needs to bring the offense up to that level as well. That means hiring the right OC. I've heard Major Applewhite's name mentioned, due to their previous experience working together at Texas. Tee Martin wants the job, but he wasn't that impressive in the same role at USC. Getting the offense in order will be the key for Diaz's success at Miami.

I'm wondering what their AD's decision making process was with this hire. Was Diaz his top choice or was it Cristobal and he either turned them down or they wouldn't pay his buyout?

Diaz has built a strong defense at Miami, but he now needs to bring the offense up to that level as well. That means hiring the right OC. I've heard Major Applewhite's name mentioned, due to their previous experience working together at Texas. Tee Martin wants the job, but he wasn't that impressive in the same role at USC. Getting the offense in order will be the key for Diaz's success at Miami.
If Martin flopped at SoCal, he'd be a huge risk at Miami.

Ken Dorsey is set to be the App St OC. But 2019 will be his 1st year as an OC, so Diaz would be nuts to hire him. Unless he hires Dorsey as QB coach and somebody else as OC. But we should watch App St. if Dorsey looks like a promising OC, look for Diaz to be interested in getting him back to Miami within 3 or 4 years - assuming Diaz is still around.

Latest rumor is Diaz targeting larry fedora for the OC position.

Latest rumor is Diaz targeting larry fedora for the OC position.
Larry then can save the day by running the QB between the tackles for his main running game, which is certain to draw large numbers of top QBs and continually restock high quality RBs and WRs.

Larry as OC can work, and work well, if he has learned how and why his offense was designed to bring eventual failure for the program even as it seemed to be gliding along quite well.

And perhaps he has learned. But just as RichRod always dreams of finding another Pat White - the freak of nature who with other perfect parts made his offense seem truly great - Larry always dreams of finding another 230 pound Wisconsin-RB-running style guy who can play QB for him. Larry will take a pair of .500 seasons and a lot of team turmoil and dissension in order to seek that magic 3rd year for such a QB.

That's my warning to Diaz.

Whether Larry will take an OC job anywhere depends on whether he decides it is best for his HC desires to sit a year or 2 or jump back in now as an OC.

And as I joked with the KU fan - Larry will shine best in the Big 12. I think Larry knows that he would shine the least as an OC in the SEC. A steady diet of SEC defenses would leave Larry a tottering mess.

Larry then can save the day by running the QB between the tackles for his main running game, which is certain to draw large numbers of top QBs and continually restock high quality RBs and WRs.

Larry as OC can work, and work well, if he has learned how and why his offense was designed to bring eventual failure for the program even as it seemed to be gliding along quite well.

And perhaps he has learned. But just as RichRod always dreams of finding another Pat White - the freak of nature who with other perfect parts made his offense seem truly great - Larry always dreams of finding another 230 pound Wisconsin-RB-running style guy who can play QB for him. Larry will take a pair of .500 seasons and a lot of team turmoil and dissension in order to seek that magic 3rd year for such a QB.

That's my warning to Diaz.

Whether Larry will take an OC job anywhere depends on whether he decides it is best for his HC desires to sit a year or 2 or jump back in now as an OC.

And as I joked with the KU fan - Larry will shine best in the Big 12. I think Larry knows that he would shine the least as an OC in the SEC. A steady diet of SEC defenses would leave Larry a tottering mess.
My money is on fed sitting out a yr

Reactions: franklin street
I personally think Fedora could be successful in the OC role at Miami. He just seems like one of those coaches who is a better coordinator than a head coach. He was able to recruit many productive players on offense for UNC and I don't see why he couldn't do the same at Miami. The problems with his UNC teams was always defense. Manny and his defensive staff would take care of that so Fedora would only need to focus on his offense.

I think a Manny Diaz / Larry Fedora coaching partnership could be interesting. And I actually want Miami to be a strong team even though they play in the same division as the Heels. It makes it all the more gratifying when we beat them.

The fact that Diaz fired the entire offensive coaching staff on day 1 proves he's not messing around.

I wonder if Diaz is going to see if Randy Shannon will return as DC. I don't think Shannon is HC material, certainly not in a P5. But he can be a very good DC for Miami once again.

I wonder if Diaz is going to see if Randy Shannon will return as DC. I don't think Shannon is HC material, certainly not in a P5. But he can be a very good DC for Miami once again.

I'm wondering if he left Miami on good terms. He seems like a classy guy.

I'm wondering if he left Miami on good terms. He seems like a classy guy.
I remember some fans were upset with him for not going as quietly as they would have liked. But I don't think he caused an issue with the administration.

If there are no such problems, Shannon could be the ideal DC to just step into Diaz's slot and keep things going smoothly on that side of the ball.

I havent heard if Diaz plans to make changes to the defensive staff. He cleaned out the offense coaches which was needed.

Andrea Adelson has a good article on Richt stepping down and Miami hiring Diaz.

Key paragraph: "In Diaz, Miami gets someone familiar with the inner workings of the program and its vocal (and sometimes ruthless) fan base; someone with deep ties to high school coaches and recruiting across South Florida; and someone who is keenly aware about what he must do right away: find a quarterback and offensive coordinator and upgrade the offensive coaching staff. One Miami staff member said it became obvious back in 2016 the Hurricanes had to find a difference-maker at quarterback, but the offensive staff scoffed each time it was mentioned."

As I said during Richt's first year in Miami, his decision to go for 'athlete' QBs probably doomed him before his first game. Miami boosters want the next Kelly or Kozar or Testverde, not the next Marquise Williams or Pat White. They want QBs passing to a host of talented WRs and TEs, with RBs carrying the ball. Richt did that at UGA.

I havent heard if Diaz plans to make changes to the defensive staff. He cleaned out the offense coaches which was needed.
The D was sound - not great by Miami's standards, but really good. I'd keep every D coach.

More Adelson on why Richt failed at Miami: "There is a reason Clemson switched from Kelly Bryant to Trevor Lawrence, and if that wasn't obvious before its win over Notre Dame, then it is perfectly clear now."

At the start of this season, I posted a thread with the title of something like 'Why Dabo is great and Fedora is an idiot'. Dabo played Lawrence, and Larry would have sat Lawrence on the bench.

Reactions: heelfan1961

Key paragraph: "In Diaz, Miami gets someone familiar with the inner workings of the program and its vocal (and sometimes ruthless) fan base; someone with deep ties to high school coaches and recruiting across South Florida; and someone who is keenly aware about what he must do right away: find a quarterback and offensive coordinator and upgrade the offensive coaching staff. One Miami staff member said it became obvious back in 2016 the Hurricanes had to find a difference-maker at quarterback, but the offensive staff scoffed each time it was mentioned."

As I said during Richt's first year in Miami, his decision to go for 'athlete' QBs probably doomed him before his first game. Miami boosters want the next Kelly or Kozar or Testverde, not the next Marquise Williams or Pat White. They want QBs passing to a host of talented WRs and TEs, with RBs carrying the ball. Richt did that at UGA.
Miami would have won the coastal with Quise this year

More Adelson on why Richt failed at Miami: "There is a reason Clemson switched from Kelly Bryant to Trevor Lawrence, and if that wasn't obvious before its win over Notre Dame, then it is perfectly clear now."

At the start of this season, I posted a thread with the title of something like 'Why Dabo is great and Fedora is an idiot'. Dabo played Lawrence, and Larry would have sat Lawrence on the bench.
Your obsession is scary

I'm not sure they will get that type of QB if they hire Fedora. I understand if their fans want to hold onto what worked in the past, but it's also important to adapt to changes within the sport. Saban used to win titles with traditional QBs like Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron. Now he's doing it with Hurts and Tua.

As I said, I do think they they can have success with Fedora's offense, primarily because they will likely have the defense to support it. That was Fedora's biggest issue at UNC.

I remember some fans were upset with him for not going as quietly as they would have liked. But I don't think he caused an issue with the administration.

If there are no such problems, Shannon could be the ideal DC to just step into Diaz's slot and keep things going smoothly on that side of the ball.

I agree that Shannon would be a solid fit as the DC for them assuming he's interested in returning. He knows defense and can recruit well.

Diaz adds LA tech DC Blake Baker to his staff. He will likely be the defensive coordinator.

Diaz adds LA tech DC Blake Baker to his staff. He will likely be the defensive coordinator.
So no going after Randy to bring him home.

That means that Diaz is not governed by any sentimentality. He could pose us problems.

So no going after Randy to bring him home.

That means that Diaz is not governed by any sentimentality. He could pose us problems.

Check out his press conference on youtube. The guy is fired up. Obviously, most coaches are able to "win" the initial press conference and time will tell if he becomes a good head coach or not. He does seem to have a grasp of what Miami football is and has a plan on how to get back to it.

Check out his press conference on youtube. The guy is fired up. Obviously, most coaches are able to "win" the initial press conference and time will tell if he becomes a good head coach or not. He does seem to have a grasp of what Miami football is and has a plan on how to get back to it.
Does that mean he’s gonna “thug up” the U?

He’s the one that came up with that stupid turnover chain crap, wasn’t he?

Does that mean he’s gonna “thug up” the U?

He’s the one that came up with that stupid turnover chain crap, wasn’t he?

Yes, he did create the turnover chain and mentioned in another interview that he may do something similar for touchdowns if that motivates the offense. Facepalm

Reactions: TarHeelMark
The weirdest part of the press conference was him explaining how he would take the culture he established for the defense (toughness, swagger, etc.) and apply it to the rest of the team. To me, it seems like the team was divided last year - offense vs. defense. I guess Richt didn't think to create one culture for everyone.

Yes, he did create the turnover chain and mentioned in another interview that he may do something similar for touchdowns if that motivates the offense. Facepalm
all those sideline props are getting out of hand.... except, I kinda dig this one (but only if you do the pimp walk when accepting it). LOL

scepter.0.gif

Diaz is about to hire Major Applewhite as his new OC.
One of the things I've said for a while is that if possible, when you are a 1st time HC and it is a P5 job, you need a former HC on your staff.

Diaz is showing that he may be ready for this.

One of the things I've said for a while is that if possible, when you are a 1st time HC and it is a P5 job, you need a former HC on your staff.

Diaz is showing that he may be ready for this.

Fedora would have provided the same HC experience. The question is who would be the better OC at the U. I would say Fedora, but I'm sure the past working relationship between Diaz and Applewhite at Texas played a role in his decision.

Fedora would have provided the same HC experience. The question is who would be the better OC at the U. I would say Fedora, but I'm sure the past working relationship between Diaz and Applewhite at Texas played a role in his decision.
Yep. They probably became friends and feel confident they can work together with Diaz as HC.

I would have preferred that Richt flounder around another year before Miami made the change.

Yep. They probably became friends and feel confident they can work together with Diaz as HC.

I would have preferred that Richt flounder around another year before Miami made the change.

LOL, I can see your point. They clearly weren't headed in the right direction. For me, I actually prefer other ACC teams to be competitive both in basketball and football. The Heels really don't gain anything by beating weak opponents. They get stronger when the learn how to beat the really good teams. And while we haven't done that much lately, I think having Mack in place along with his new coaching staff will help turn those losses into wins.

Go Heels!

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Be interesting to see if UNC and FSU can turn around...and how long it takes...

LOL, I can see your point. They clearly weren't headed in the right direction. For me, I actually prefer other ACC teams to be competitive both in basketball and football. The Heels really don't gain anything by beating weak opponents. They get stronger when the learn how to beat the really good teams. And while we haven't done that much lately, I think having Mack in place along with his new coaching staff will help turn those losses into wins.

Go Heels!

I agree....It's hard to sharpen your skills when your playing against teams with inferior talent....A strong conference means competition on Saturdays is tough because the teams are comparable in talent....

The ACC has a way to go to get to that level, but I think the Conference as a whole got a whole lot better this offseason with the hires at Carolina, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Miami.... FSU will also be better as well with Kendall Briles as the OC, but they still need to upgrade their O-Line to protect their QB....

I think Taggart is a better coach than their 5-7 record this year. Everyone I know who follows FSU football closely say Jimbo left the program in a complete mess both in terms of roster management and culture when he took the Texas A&M job. I think Taggart can get that program turned around. I don't like the Briles hire though. It's a bad look considering how close he was to the situation at Baylor. There were plenty of other quality OC's to hire other than him.

The FSU hire of Briles does look like a desperation hire from the outside looking-in especially since there hasn't even been much of mention about it on the FSU website....Seems not all the boosters were on board with this hire by Taggert?....Deion Sanders was doing his best to promote FSU football and pump up the fanbase during the game last night with his in-game comments about the FSU players on the recruiting couch....Of course, that whole game last night reeked of nepotism...

It looks like there is a Greg Robinson situation going on in Coral Gables. There are reports now that Applewhite is not a done deal as OC. If true, it's amazing how stuff gets reported without being verified first.

Both Fortin and Ruder are definitely better QBs than Perry. That's how bad off Miami is in the QB department. Both of our true freshmen from last fall are better, with much less practice time with the 1st and 2nd team units, than is N'Cosi Perry, who was supposed to be the Canes' QB revival.
Fortin is a "Very Good QB". Howell will be his towel boy.

Diaz has hired Dan Enos who was the QB coach at Alabama as his new OC. I wonder if this will help them get Hurts.

ADVERTISEMENT