ADVERTISEMENT

Miami's #1 recruiting class

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
i think it is only #2 in 247 site, but man are they killing it.
And it isn't just skills positions.
Does the coastal need to be skeert? In the past they always underachieved despite top 20 classes...

i think it is only #2 in 247 site, but man are they killing it.
And it isn't just skills positions.
Does the coastal need to be skeert? In the past they always underachieved despite top 20 classes...
They've underachieved because they didn't have the coaching. They have the coaching now. They are my pick to win the coastal this year. The only potential issue they have is at QB, but pretty much everyone in the coastal has that issue. I could see them winning 10 games this year if they have average QB play. The worst thing to happen to the future of UNC football last year was Miami hiring Richt.

Richt, Fuentes and Mendenhall are all great coaches. Hope Fed and UNC can keep up. If State keeps on building their defense then UNC can only look forward to barely making a bowl and NOT losing to Duke, State and Wake and occasionally ECU.

The next few years of recruiting will tell and if Fed pulls his head out of his arse and hires an offensive coordinator.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Richt is building a program...when he gets his 2018 QB...lookout!

He'll have N'kosi Perry (dual threat) and 2018 commit Sitkowski (IMG Academy...6'5 and a pro body type...big arm, mobile enough to move out of trouble).

Nebraska is doing a surprisingly good job too. I've driven thru Nebraska, never been to lincoln... but their progress is a head-scratcher to me.

Well i find solace in the fact that at UGA richt had top 10 classes nearly every year but never produced on the field
That depends on how you look at it. I think he averaged over 9 wins a season when the SEC was head and shoulders above the rest. That's pretty good. I would kill for a UNC coach to average over 9 wins a season and play in multiple BCS bowls.

ETA: Here is a list of his achievements at UGA. If he did this at UNC he would have his own statue out front.

-Won two SEC championships (2002 and 2005)
-Won six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012)
-Won nine bowl games
-Represented the SEC in three BCS bowls (2–1)
-Finished in the top 10 of the final AP Poll seven times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012, 2014)
-Went 19–3 against ACC opponents

Last edited:
That's kind of ridiculous on your part. They have over 20 commits. Only 2 according to rivals are 3 stars, the rest are 4 star guys and one 5 star guy. Just go take quick look.

Reactions: Archer2
Well i find solace in the fact that at UGA richt had top 10 classes nearly every year but never produced on the field
Yes, they did. Richt is the 2nd winningest coach in UGA history. The only reason Dooley won more in terms of % and won 1 National Championship is Herschel Walker.

That's kind of ridiculous on your part. They have over 20 commits. Only 2 according to rivals are 3 stars, the rest are 4 star guys and one 5 star guy. Just go take quick look.

You are right I had thought they were lower rated 4* guys or high three star but I don't see any 5* guys on their commitment though at least not according to the other sites

Richt is building a program...when he gets his 2018 QB...lookout!

He'll have N'kosi Perry (dual threat) and 2018 commit Sitkowski (IMG Academy...6'5 and a pro body type...big arm, mobile enough to move out of trouble).

Richt will be more successful at Miami then he ever was at Georgia,just too much talent in Florida to choose from.

Yes, they did. Richt is the 2nd winningest coach in UGA history. The only reason Dooley won more in terms of % and won 1 National Championship is Herschel Walker.

No they didnt in relation to the talent as measured by recruiting rankings. Just ask any UGA fan

I said it last year....Richt will turn Miami back into a juggernaut if he stays at least 3 years. way too much talent in South Florida that is ripe for the picking, and they play in a generous division within the ACC. perfect recipe for immediate success while you get ramped up and then once stable, they'll be hell on wheels

Miami has always been the most talented team in the Coastal on paper, and Richt consistently delivered 9 win seasons with Top 5/10 talent at UGA.

He is definitely an upgrade over Golden and Shannon, and I'd say they are positioned to be our toughest competition in the division for the foreseeable future, but I'm still pretty skeptical that Richt is going to get them "back" to the Butch Davis/Jimmy Johnson days.

I'd be skeptical too because Richt will actually run a good ship and do things the right way, whereas Butch and Jimmy kinda played in the "gray" area.....

I'd be skeptical too because Richt will actually run a good ship and do things the right way, whereas Butch and Jimmy kinda played in the "gray" area.....
When you say Butch played in the gray area what exactly are you talking about? Butch was largely credited with cleaning up the Miami program. Just because shit hit the fan here doesn't automatically mean the same thing happened at Miami.

Somebody from the Coastal needs to seriously contend for the ACCC. The "U" have done nothing since they have been here. Florida, as has been said, is rich in top recruits. Plus, as a young 18 year old the idea of going to school at Miami Beach is a big draw. But, they all put their pads on and line up and hike the ball. In other words the best class does not always mean victory. Take the hokies or jackets for example, neither place is as great as Chapel Hill, but coaching has helped those places in the past. I dream of the day when we become a football program to be reckoned with in the ACC and National level. I am 60, might not see that in my lifetime...smh

FWIW, Miami's class is ranked 2nd nationally if you go by average star ratings. In the ACC:

ACC / National Average Star Ratings
1. / 2. Miami 3.89
2. / 5. Clemson 3.73
3. / 18. Florida State 3.47
4. / 22. North Carolina 3.45
5. / 32. Virginia Tech 3.11
6. / 39. duke 3.07
7. / 40. Moo U 3.06
8. / 47. Louisville 2.92
t9. / 48. Pittsburgh 2.91
t9. / 48. Syracuse 2.91
11. / 55. Wake Forest 2.79
12. / 56. Georgia Tech 2.78
13. / 61. Virginia 2.68
14. / 62. Boston College 2.67

Last edited:
Reactions: heelbent
FWIW, Miami's class is ranked 15th nationally if you go by average star ratings.

Your numbers indicate you are using 2017. The 2018 class is the one i posted about. Sorted by 'avg' they are second in the nation. Fifteen 4* and one 5*... they might finish at the top with bama and osu this yr.

Your numbers indicate you are using 2017. The 2018 class is the one i posted about. Sorted by 'avg' they are second in the nation. Fifteen 4* and one 5*... they might finish at the top with bama and osu this yr.
My bad, thanks for catching that. Didn't realize Rivals was still defaulting to 2017. I've updated the poast to reflect 2018 numbers.

Stars are only one way of many to determine the ultimate impact of any given recruiting class of course. As many have mentioned, coaching is paramount, but equally important is the ability to recognize the talent and weave that talent into the scheme of a given program. Then there is the need factor year to year. The jury is obviously still out, but I'm betting Brandon Harris will be a good example of a highly touted kid that got thrust into a system/situation that he was not well suited for. I think he'll thrive in ours if he is a good as a originally advertised. All of this said, it is fun to follow the recruiting wars this time of the year. Not much else to fill the void...Cheers! TPL

Stars are only one way of many to determine the ultimate impact of any given recruiting class of course. As many have mentioned, coaching is paramount, but equally important is the ability to recognize the talent and weave that talent into the scheme of a given program. Then there is the need factor year to year. The jury is obviously still out, but I'm betting Brandon Harris will be a good example of a highly touted kid that got thrust into a system/situation that he was not well suited for. I think he'll thrive in ours if he is a good as a originally advertised. All of this said, it is fun to follow the recruiting wars this time of the year. Not much else to fill the void...Cheers! TPL
There is no doubt that Harris is, and always has been, a top notch athlete. Whether he can be better than a barely average QB remains to be seen.

WE have a lot of potential with the young QBs. If they are sidelined so Harris can have a 5th year SR season of more up and down mediocrity, then Fedora will have done a disservice to Elliott, Byrd, and Surratt. If Harris dos not deliver fairly big, then I want to see the youngsters get some snaps, and not just in mop up duty.

Richt, Fuentes and Mendenhall are all great coaches. Hope Fed and UNC can keep up. If State keeps on building their defense then UNC can only look forward to barely making a bowl and NOT losing to Duke, State and Wake and occasionally ECU.

The next few years of recruiting will tell and if Fed pulls his head out of his arse and hires an offensive coordinator.
Lol.

Reactions: Raising Heel
There is no doubt that Harris is, and always has been, a top notch athlete. Whether he can be better than a barely average QB remains to be seen.

WE have a lot of potential with the young QBs. If they are sidelined so Harris can have a 5th year SR season of more up and down mediocrity, then Fedora will have done a disservice to Elliott, Byrd, and Surratt. If Harris dos not deliver fairly big, then I want to see the youngsters get some snaps, and not just in mop up duty.

I agree, particularly with Surratt. He was the fastest, most fluid and athletic of the bunch during the spring game- although Elliott seemed to control the offense somewhat better. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I just have this feeling though, that Harris is going to be a very pleasant surprise. I don't think one should judge his potential to excel purely from his LSU experience... although his body of work IS right there in front of God and country to interpret ever how one would choose. Let the games begin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT