ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Irby - RIP

NCAAUCoach

Hall of Famer
Dec 31, 2002
All-

I know Mike outside of these forums and wanted to share that he passed away this morning. He fought a strong fight and lived a great life. He loved his Heels, wife (Fran), family, hunting and was a strong man of Faith. Great guy.

RIP Mike Irby

Last edited:
Oh no, awful news to start the morning.

RIP Mike, fought his tail off for so many years and still was able to bring such a positive attitude to this community.

I'd bet he's chirping in Dean's ear already up there.

Also, if there is any type of charity or GoFundMe set up for the family can you please include that link here? Thanks in advance.

Very sorry to hear. Tar Heel nation lost a great fan. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sad to wake up to this news this morning. Mike was a great guy to work with here on THI and was always proud to be a Tar Heel. He fought his battle with cancer with a great attitude and put his trust in the Lord so there is no doubt Mike is enjoying his new home in Heaven. Prayers for Mike’s family and all of his friends here on THI!

I am saddened by the news that another soldier has fallen in the battle against cancer! MIke's contribution to the UNC Family will always be remembered and his outlook on life and our Heels will be an example for the rest of us to attempt to emulate forever! God has called him home and I hope his family finds peace in their memories as time and faith helps them heal!

Welcome Home Family and Go Tar Heels Forever Mr. Irby!

I’ve been on the board since Tar Heel Radar was an actual website. I do not post much, but when I do I typically post something neutral or factual. What I enjoyed about Mike was his positivity and steadiness. He always steadied the ship. I only interacted with him once to get a troll banned from the board, but I was connected to him as a fan as I am with all of you.

Mike, may God accept you in His heavenly gates. May God grant ease to his family and friends during this difficult time.

I am real upset about this.

I am going to post a view pieces we posted when we had the fundraiser for him. Here is the first one.

4/2016
"Since 2005, our dear friend Mike Irby has served as an unpaid moderator for the UNC Rivals websites. Only recently did we learn that he has been suffering from cancer for most of those years. Now Mikey is unable to work and needs our help to continue cancer treatments. Without his service, the UNC Rivals site would never have thrived as it has under his care. Thinking of this, we’re reminded of the character George Bailey in the classic movie, It’s a Wonderful Life. Like Bailey, Mikey has no idea of all the lives he has touched. What would the UNC site have been like without Mikey as the moderator for the last ten years? We will be extremely grateful if you can donate to help our friend. He’s a great guy."

The following is a recommendation for everyone on this site.

If you have not seen the classic movie "It's a Wonderful Life", PLEASE, PLEASE try to view it over the next couple of weeks. Mikey is George Bailey.

RIP Mikey

Last edited:
I am standing on the seashore, a ship sails in the morning breeze and starts for the ocean. She is an object of beauty and I stand watching her til at last she fades on the horizon and someone says, “She is gone”.

Gone!
Where?

Gone from my sight, that is all.
She is just as large in the masts, hull, and spars, as she was when I saw her, and just as able to bear her load.
The diminished size and loss of sight is in me, not in her, and just at the moment when someone at my side says “she is gone”.

There are others who are watching her coming and other voices take up a glad shout: “Here she comes!”

Mike, you are with those now that knew you were coming, and saw you coming. There are no more tears or pain, you are now Home. What a joy it must be to be in the presence of the Lord! I would have loved to have met you here on Earth, but I know I will meet you one day in Heaven.

Last edited:
From 'Skysdad' on the DI board:

Really sorry to hear of that. He was loyal to his team and dedicated to his fellow fans. He loved pulling for his team and loved them as much as I loved Duke. His board will miss him very much. One thing he and I stood on common ground was that both of us are Christians. I wish there were some way their board could see these post. Sometimes we just have to set rivals aside and become fellow men. May Heavenly Father and his only begotten so Jesus Christ comfort his family and friends. If any of you are able to copy and post this to thr please feel free to do so. OFC

Here is the piece that Mikey's sister wrote about him in April 2016. Mikey suffered from cancer starting in 2007 and most folks didn't even know about it until 2016. This incredible man handled his Moderator duties on this board and NEVER complained about a damm thing. A true Carolina Way fan. So sad.

4/2016
"In 2007 , my brother Mike Irby, was diagnosed with Insular Carcinoma of the Thyroid. Mike had never been good about his medical care until that time. He called me because he had been running a fever for several days. Being a nurse, I advised him to see his family doctor, and he informed me he didn’t have one. The last time he has seen any doctor was several years prior to that when he had a ruptured appendix. He returned to the surgeon who had done the appendectomy, who gave Mike a thorough physical, and noted the “lump” in his neck. I know that God intervened in my brother’s life at that time, in order for him to seek medical care.

Mike underwent surgery to remove his thyroid gland and had 7 weeks-5 days a week of radiation therapy following the surgery. He was weakened by all the radiation and lost his voice, but he kept going strong and was working full time during the entire treatment period.

Approximately 1 year later, in follow up with his Oncology physician, it was noted that his red blood counts were extremely low. The blood counts kept dropping until the doctor treating him at that time told him he had Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS). Due to all the radiation, his bone marrow could not produce mature red blood cells, which was causing the anemia. He had frequent blood transfusions, and was making no progress.

He was referred to the Duke Oncology clinic, and he was placed on Revlimid, a drug commonly used to treat other cancers. After several months, his blood counts began to rise, and he did well on this medication for about 2.5-3 years. His blood counts began to fall again, meaning more blood transfusions, and finally another chemotherapy drug was started. Once again, after a few months, improvement was shown. Unfortunately, this drug caused a great deal of weakness, and Mike finally found it necessary to retire from his job.

In early 2015, it seemed that all possible treatment had been exhausted with the exception of a Bone Marrow transplant, which is the only “cure” for MDS, but is extremely dangerous, and very expensive. Unfortunately, I am only a 50% match for Mike, so it is doubtful I could be a donor. This treatment would require depleting his bone marrow completely, leaving him susceptible to any infection. He would be required to live in a “sterilized” environment in Durham, NC for 3 months, so he could go to the Transplant clinic daily for injections of donor Bone Marrow. The apartment alone will cost over $7000.00 and is not covered by any insurance.

In the Spring of this year, Mike was placed in a Research study at Duke with a new medicine named Ipilimumab. While the cost of the medicine itself is paid by the Research program, his weekly trips to Duke, as well as some overnight stays are not covered by any insurance. His Social Security check only goes so far. At this time, he has not had a favorable response to this medicine, and has had to have Blood Transfusions.

My brother is a pastor at a small church in Denton, NC and is a God fearing man. He never complains about his situation, and continues to have a positive attitude."

Heaven just got a great soul and Tar Heel! RIP mikeirbyUSA
Prays and condolences to his family and all his friends here on THI!

Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…............ It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited:
...didn't know if y'all have seen the announcement, but Mike has passed.
We've spoken on here over the years obviously and by email, but never met in person.
Still, I feel like I've lost a good friend.
I think we all have.
RIP, my brother.

Edit: I didn't see the sticky thread. Mods, please move. @andrew jones @heelbent Thanks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT