ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Irby - RIP

I knew Mike through rivals boards for a really good while.

I joined Rivals in 2002 I believe. I wasn't active on CB (now THI) probably until 2004/2005. I guess I started interacting with Mike around then. In short, Mike was a legend. I liked tinkering with photoshop, so I was honored to deliver Mike his infamous tombstone image. It's hard to call someone a friend that you've never met in person, but I considered Mike as one. He was a good man. It was always a joy seeing him 'take out' some flamers and his gentlemen-way of criticism standing his ground, but generally in a polite, non-prideful way. Always good thoughts/memories when I think of him, though limited to message board interaction.

I haven't posted since 2012/2013. I of course in hindsight wished I had kept up with Mike and others. I occasionally liked to peak in to keep tabs on tar heel chatter and such. Earlier this year I saw the news about Mike's dire prognosis. I had planned to message him, but kept putting it off. Then updates stopped coming, and I wasn't sure what the latest with his health was. Then it was posted that he had passed away. I shed some tears and prayers for him and his family, and over regrets that I had waited to reach out to him. It's a comfort to know that his physical burdens of illness have ceased.

"Death is a mere comma, not an exclamation point!" --Neal A. Maxwell

Mike's in good company.

EDIT: Also found out Mike and I are 10th Half-cousins! lol

Last edited:
I knew Mike through rivals boards for a really good while.

I joined Rivals in 2002 I believe. I wasn't active on CB (now THI) probably until 2004/2005. I guess I started interacting with Mike around then. In short, Mike was a legend. I liked tinkering with photoshop, so I was honored to deliver Mike his infamous tombstone image. It's hard to call someone a friend that you've never met in person, but I considered Mike as one. He was a good man. It was always a joy seeing him 'take out' some flamers and his gentlemen-way of criticism standing his ground, but generally in a polite, non-prideful way. Always good thoughts/memories when I think of him, though limited to message board interaction.

I haven't posted since 2012/2013. I of course in hindsight wished I had kept up with Mike and others. I occasionally liked to peak in to keep tabs on tar heel chatter and such. Earlier this year I saw the news about Mike's dire prognosis. I had planned to message him, but kept putting it off. Then updates stopped coming, and I wasn't sure what the latest with his health was. Then it was posted that he had passed away. I shed some tears and prayers for him and his family, and over regrets that I had waited to reach out to him. It's a comfort to know that his physical burdens of illness have ceased.

"Death is a mere comma, not an exclamation point!" --Neal A. Maxwell

Mike's in good company.

EDIT: Also found out Mike and I are 10th Half-cousins! lol

Well said! He was a good man. If possible, can you email me that tombstone image? If you can, send to openingdaygame@gmail.com

Reactions: TheGLOV
"...If possible, can you email me that tombstone image?

I can, but if you'd like, I included a small thumbnail of it in my post. When you click on it, it will take you to a full-version of it. There should be a download link there (or you could right-click, save as...).

or even better, here is a direct link to that page: https://postimg.cc/gxmbTWcJ

Just confirm for me, if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I can, but if you'd like, I included a small thumbnail of it in my post. When you click on it, it will take you to a full-version of it. There should be a download link there (or you could right-click, save as...).

or even better, here is a direct link to that page: https://postimg.cc/gxmbTWcJ

Just confirm for me, if you don't mind.

That direct link did it! Thanks!

Reactions: TheGLOV
From his own obituary and his dad's obituary, they were both electricians in the armed services. Mike's says he was "Aviation Electronics Technician" in the US Navy for 4 years. His dad "served in the United States Army ...work[ing] as an Electrician for many years"

Patriots. Like father; like son.

Well this really sucks!! I’ve been away for almost six months and have to come back to read this. I didn’t know Mike personally but from just interactions on this board he seemed like a great guy. And from reading some of the posts he was a guy who sounds a lot like my uncle who just died as well a great guy to be in his presence. My uncle was 71 as well and a marine. I would’ve love to have met Mr. Irby. Plus he was a Tar Heel so that’s always a feather in one’s cap. RIP sir and prayers to his family. No more suffering my friend and I know this firsthand. Lastly “Thank You” for your service. Once again RIP my fellow Tar Heel friend!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT