ADVERTISEMENT

More to come?...

For the record, no one in this thread has said anything demeaning about HBCUs. I'm sure they have some great programs. They simply haven't been a destination for top rated recruits in the past. It's not surprising people would question the decision of a top 10 kid to attend one.

@ProfessorOwl is schooling everyone in this thread. Well done.

I never thought he'd spend a minute in a Howard uniform and that was before I even knew about his transient background. I thought he was just leveraging the current civil unrest into some personal benefit - you know, trying to get "woke" points. But he shouldn't take it personal. I believe that about the majority of top notch recruits and their families.

Sorry I'm so cynical. The amount of people with their phony virtue signaling have done a number on me.
If by "schooling" you mean regurgitating info with which I'm quite familiar, then ok...
As for the rest of your post.... just GMAB that nonsense.

If by "schooling" you mean regurgitating info with which I'm quite familiar, then ok...
As for the rest of your post.... just GMAB that nonsense.

Your response would indicate you want to get it on. I’m always game. But don’t get in your feelings if I warm up the flamethrower.

What specifically do you take issue with from my poast?

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Your response would indicate you want to get it on. I’m always game. But don’t get in your feelings if I warm up the flamethrower.

What specifically do you take issue with from my poast?
OOOOH, I'm shaking :p :rolleyes:
And I take issue with every part, but "woke points"? SMDH.

Makur Maker isn't an African-American.

I'd say he is. Or well, he will be if/when he becomes a full time resident in the US. He was born in Africa, and will then be American. That's sort of the definition of an African-American.

I think it's dumb when people call LeBron James, Chris Paul, James Harden, etc. "African-American". Those guys were all born in the US. They're not African-American, they're black Americans.

Similar with Giannis Antetokounmpo - he's not African-American. He was born in Greece. He's European-American.

OOOOH, I'm shaking :p :rolleyes:
And I take issue with every part, but "woke points"? SMDH.

Ok. So you take issue with me calling out the phony leftist mob creating all that drama right now built on the perpetuation of a myth? Is that what you're saying?

I have some sociological professor buddies. Let's call them my Sociological Professor Mafia. Just some guys that like to get together and talk about societal issues. All of them agree with me and they're all really smart.

Ok. So you take issue with me calling out the phony leftist mob creating all that drama right now built on the perpetuation of a myth? Is that what you're saying?

I have some sociological professor buddies. Let's call them my Sociological Professor Mafia. Just some guys that like to get together and talk about societal issues. All of them agree with me and they're all really smart.
Lemme get this straight --- "phony leftist mob"? That's what you get out of this?

Oh, and just what "myth" would that be?

I believe as an American, I have the right to self-identify! Therefore, if I desire to be called African-American, not to say I am from Africa but to recognize my African heritage-why would anyone have an issue with this? I identify as African-American because when we as a race allow others to identify us we get called: N-word, colored, criminal, thug, angry, and other heinous names! A-A allows me to reclaim the dignity of our shared past and acknowledges my connection to the birth of humanity, civilization, and science/math. Referring to Giannis and other foreigners as A-A is most likely just people going on what they see and not thinking it through so it is not relevant!

BTW: 1. it is interesting how many insignificant issues people find to distract them from the important issue of treating everyone as if they have value! 2. It is condescending to attempt to tell an entire race what they should call themselves and should be avoided at all costs!

Lemme get this straight --- "phony leftist mob"? That's what you get out of this?

Oh, and just what "myth" would that be?

Yes. I get from Maker's commitment that he's virtue signalling. He wants the praise and attention for doing the unthinkable - sacrificing better coaching, better exposure and better facilities, and a chance to win - because he cares so much about HBCUs. But here's the problem; if he doesn't end up attending Howard (and I'm 98% sure that he won't), then he doesn't really care about HBCUs and it was all just a ruse to leverage the current civil unrest into some personal benefit. In other words, being phony.

The myth that I'm pointing to is the myth of systemic racism existing in 2020. This notion that law enforcement is out to get people of color is a myth. This idea that blacks are not treated equally in this country is a myth. At one time all of that was accurate. But that is no longer true and hasn't been for some while. Black communities have some issues, for sure. But police brutality is like number 79 on the list of societal maladies impacting the black community. Racism is maybe a little higher up on the list but still way behind other issues. Fatherless homes is the number 1 problem for the black community but instead of addressing that (which is a precursor to many other issues) we're talking about the .00003% of unarmed blacks killed by police as if it's genocide. Stop it.

Yes. I get from Maker's commitment that he's virtue signalling. He wants the praise and attention for doing the unthinkable - sacrificing better coaching, better exposure and better facilities, and a chance to win - because he cares so much about HBCUs. But here's the problem; if he doesn't end up attending Howard (and I'm 98% sure that he won't), then he doesn't really care about HBCUs and it was all just a ruse to leverage the current civil unrest into some personal benefit. In other words, being phony.

The myth that I'm pointing to is the myth of systemic racism existing in 2020. This notion that law enforcement is out to get people of color is a myth. This idea that blacks are not treated equally in this country is a myth. At one time all of that was accurate. But that is no longer true and hasn't been for some while. Black communities have some issues, for sure. But police brutality is like number 79 on the list of societal maladies impacting the black community. Racism is maybe a little higher up on the list but still way behind other issues. Fatherless homes is the number 1 problem for the black community but instead of addressing that (which is a precursor to many other issues) we're talking about the .00003% of unarmed blacks killed by police as if it's genocide. Stop it.
Yeah......... I'm sure you know his motivations better than anyone including him, huh? SMDH.

And just FYI, reality is there's probably only about a 50/50 chance there even is college basketball this Fall --- especially with the smaller schools --- so this might get mooted before it's all done with, but it's pretty obvious where your own motivations are coming from. So as for the rest of that ideologically-polluted screed, I'll just leave you to your own demons. Just wow.

Reactions: headenheel
I believe as an American, I have the right to self-identify! Therefore, if I desire to be called African-American, not to say I am from Africa but to recognize my African heritage-why would anyone have an issue with this? I identify as African-American because when we as a race allow others to identify us we get called: N-word, colored, criminal, thug, angry, and other heinous names! A-A allows me to reclaim the dignity of our shared past and acknowledges my connection to the birth of humanity, civilization, and science/math. Referring to Giannis and other foreigners as A-A is most likely just people going on what they see and not thinking it through so it is not relevant!

BTW: 1. it is interesting how many insignificant issues people find to distract them from the important issue of treating everyone as if they have value! 2. It is condescending to attempt to tell an entire race what they should call themselves and should be avoided at all costs!

You can self-identify as whatever you want, I didn't mean to imply you couldn't (and I don't think I did). And I certainly didn't try to tell an entire race what they should call themselves. I merely posited what I believe is accurate nomenclature. So in the words of our board "Don": GMAB with that.

Your point #1 is 100% correct though. The important issue is to make sure everyone is treated equally and with value. I think we can all get on board with that. Me self-identifying as a Martian-American notwithstanding.

This guy is a racist turd. Admin you can ban me. I will take it. It would be worth every letter that I typed.

I disagree with the woke mob perpetuating a myth. I must be racist.

And if you fear banning, you're always welcome at OOTB. It's more a Wild West format over there. You can come over there and call me racist anytime you like. I look forward to seeing you around.

If you had a nickel for every ounce of truth you've spoken about it, you'd owe money.

Let's hear it gary. How do you feel about the current climate? You like seeing the protests, the calls to defund police, the erasing of history, the mob mentality of the millennial social justice warriors? Are you as much an expert on social issues as you are on basketball? I'd love to read your thoughts.

Reactions: HeelFan58 and pdhjr
I disagree with the woke mob perpetuating a myth. I must be racist.

And if you fear banning, you're always welcome at OOTB. It's more a Wild West format over there. You can come over there and call me racist anytime you like. I look forward to seeing you around.

Let's hear it gary. How do you feel about the current climate? You like seeing the protests, the calls to defund police, the erasing of history, the mob mentality of the millennial social justice warriors? Are you as much an expert on social issues as you are on basketball? I'd love to read your thoughts.
Yeah, I do know a lot about issues --- far more than you apparently --- but neither this thread nor this board were designed to be political, especially a descent into your rabbit-hole of wingnuttery. And before you start "reading" thoughts you should probably try cleaning up your own.

Yeah, I do know a lot about issues --- far more than you apparently --- but neither this thread nor this board were designed to be political, especially a descent into your rabbit-hole of wingnuttery. And before you start "reading" thoughts you should probably try cleaning up your own.

Do you want me to start a thread at OOTB for you to come give me your thoughts or are you simply not interested? I really hope you’ll take me up on my offer. I would enjoy showing you how I have infinitely more experience in which to base my thoughts than you. Please consider it.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Do you want me to start a thread at OOTB for you to come give me your thoughts or are you simply not interested? I really hope you’ll take me up on my offer. I would enjoy showing you how I have infinitely more experience in which to base my thoughts than you. Please consider it.
Now that's funny, I'll give you that much. And of course you know full well I don't soil myself by associating with that glorified gossip-fence.

And since you've already subtracted from the sum-total of human knowledge with your baseless rantings ITT, a simple "no comment" puts me far ahead in that game.

Now that's funny, I'll give you that much. And of course you know full well I don't soil myself by associating with that glorified gossip-fence.

And since you've already subtracted from the sum-total of human knowledge with your baseless rantings ITT, a simple "no comment" puts me far ahead in that game.

So that’s a no?

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Oh, I'm sure you did... for once.

3569KAD.gif

I think it's dumb when people call LeBron James, Chris Paul, James Harden, etc. "African-American". Those guys were all born in the US. They're not African-American, they're black Americans.

These are the words I take exception to.

2 things:

1. I have no idea what GMAB means so please speak Old Guy to me.
2. If you say it is "dumb" to call peeps A-A and end with, "they're Black Americans" you are indeed telling people what to call an entire race even if you didn't mean to.
3. To equate "Martian-American" to African-American is framing an entire race's potential identity as if it was a joke. (I am completely off base if some of your ancestors were actually from Mars, however) Words are powerful and we sometimes can say and do more than we intend.
4. I appreciate the exchange of ideas, but let's not turn it into name calling or anger, please.

My my, you really are delusional, aren't you? So much so that you seem to have missed me having a blast ridiculing your simple ass.

Bro, we’ve all seen this schtick from you. It’s always been regarding your superior knowledge of basketball though. Shit people don’t really care that much about so they end up figuring it’s not worth arguing with you and your “I know better than you because I’m a coach” tactic. Well, I know better than you here. So you’re not going to run me off.

You haven’t taken the time to dispute anything I initially wrote. You’re doing exactly what the woke mob does because it’s your only move.

Bro, we’ve all seen this schtick from you. It’s always been regarding your superior knowledge of basketball though. Shit people don’t really care that much about so they end up figuring it’s not worth arguing with you and your “I know better than you because I’m a coach” tactic. Well, I know better than you here. So you’re not going to run me off.

You haven’t taken the time to dispute anything I initially wrote. You’re doing exactly what the woke mob does because it’s your only move.
No need. Everything you post disputes itself. But hey, keep flailing... maybe you'll hit somthing eventually. :confused:

No need. Everything you post disputes itself. But hey, keep flailing... maybe you'll hit somthing eventually. :confused:

Translation: I’m too afraid to have a legit discussion about the subject matter so I’ll make it contentious and then try to act like it was the other party that made it that way.

Classic Gary. Don’t ever change.

Translation: I’m too afraid to have a legit discussion about the subject matter so I’ll make it contentious and then try to act like it was the other party that made it that way.

Classic Gary. Don’t ever change.
Literally all the contentiousness ITT has come from you (imagine that). And um, please do change.

Literally all the contentiousness ITT has come from you (imagine that). And um, please do change.

It’s always everyone else but you. Yet you’re the one here who has had these accusations repeatedly. It’s the joke of this board. Our board is literally known throughout the Rivals network as the board with that blowhard Gary. Why is that?

It’s always everyone else but you. Yet you’re the one here who has had these accusations repeatedly. It’s the joke of this board. Our board is literally known throughout the Rivals network as the board with that blowhard Gary. Why is that?
Funny, I thought it was known for that jackwipe terrorbeard...

Ah, so that explains it... you're really a dookie. Shoulda known.
So... how much longer is the Rat gonna coach?

lol. Page two of the Gary playbook - “when all else fails, accuse the person disagreeing with me of being a dookie”.

I can’t wait to see what page 3 has in store. You’ve never had to go that deep into your playbook before.

lol. Page two of the Gary playbook - “when all else fails, accuse the person disagreeing with me of being a dookie”.

I can’t wait to see what page 3 has in store. You’ve never had to go that deep into your playbook before.
LMAO. I don't need any playbook to deal with a simp like you... but is IS fun.

LMAO. I don't need any playbook to deal with a simp like you... but is IS fun.

Ok, so are you going to get to any kind of discussion about what I wrote or are you going to keep trying to convince yourself that you’re “letting me have it”?

Ok, so are you going to get to any kind of discussion about what I wrote or are you going to keep trying to convince yourself that you’re “letting me have it”?
What you wrote was strident nonsense complete with the predictable false dichotomies, which is less than useful about a nuanced subject that obviously goes far beyond your sensibilities (low bar though that may be).

Moreover, your political ranting was unwelcome in the thread and was just inflammatory. You can hold whatever political views, but apparently you couldn't resist polluting this thread with them, so yeah, you got your nose honked and deservedly so... for being a dick.

Edit - @gary-7 , I’ll look for you to join the discussions on OOTB sometime. Hope you can make it over. If not, I look forward to our interaction here at THR when the season ramps up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT