ADVERTISEMENT

More to come?...

On principle I agree that all opinions should be considered and at least plumbed for the true motivation behind them. BUT, the reality is that some opinions are ignorant to the point of being dangerous and must be stamped out before they cause irreparable damage!

If anyone really believes America does not have a problem with racial and socioeconomic biases and iniquities then they are dangerously ignorant and their ideas cannot be allowed to propagate! If someone can ignore the vast information proving systemic racism in the very genesis of this country, I pity them and hope they keep their heads in the sand. I don't care what race a person is, ideas must be weighed on their merits and not who has them! We are taking baby steps toward this admirable goal and everyone MUST ensure they are working toward unity and not by accident, inattention, or intent hindering progress!

It is enough to agree to think for yourself and teach your own circle to respect humanity above race, culture, or nationality!

On principle I agree that all opinions should be considered and at least plumbed for the true motivation behind them. BUT, the reality is that some opinions are ignorant to the point of being dangerous and must be stamped out before they cause irreparable damage!

If anyone really believes America does not have a problem with racial and socioeconomic biases and iniquities then they are dangerously ignorant and their ideas cannot be allowed to propagate! If someone can ignore the vast information proving systemic racism in the very genesis of this country, I pity them and hope they keep their heads in the sand. I don't care what race a person is, ideas must be weighed on their merits and not who has them! We are taking baby steps toward this admirable goal and everyone MUST ensure they are working toward unity and not by accident, inattention, or intent hindering progress!

It is enough to agree to think for yourself and teach your own circle to respect humanity above race, culture, or nationality!

Dude hate to break it to you, but that middle paragraph sounded a lot to me like “agree with or else...”

Yes, there are lines you don’t cross. Nazism, communist dictatorships, KKK, etc. but there is not going to be a world where everyone agrees on this. And pissing people off who are otherwise moderate or might be sympathetic to your cause by constantly telling them to “check their privilege” or that they’re fragile and stupid because they’re white is equally as dangerous. I know that’s not what you said but there are radical people who are trying to move the goalposts into that territory.

Just food for thought.

giphy.gif

The problem with that line of thinking is that you would have to have someone or some group decide what reaches the level of being dangerous. Who would get that power?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
That is a great question and I agree that that kind of "power" is dangerous itself! It could easily be misused and create a scenario where the currently marginalized respond by trying to stifle the ideas of their oppressors! I will never say that any person is incapable of having a valid point simply because I do not agree with said point or any of their past ideas.

But I define dangerous ideas as those who by propagation can disenfranchise or endanger entire categories of people. In addition, those that fly in the face of overwhelming FACT not simply majority opinion! For example: The idea that "all African-American males should be feared or suspected of criminal behavior" is dangerous! The idea that African-Americans are less intelligent than any other race or culture is dangerous! The idea that America has not systemic racism is dangerous! The idea that "people should live in neighborhoods that are homogenous" is misguided but not dangerous to me!

For example: The idea that "all African-American males should be feared or suspected of criminal behavior" is dangerous! !

Who believes this?

The idea that African-Americans are less intelligent than any other race or culture is dangerous! !

Or this?

The idea that America has not systemic racism is dangerous!

I'm struggling to understand this statement but I want to be careful to not make fun of your grammar because I recently read that being a stickler for grammar is just my white privilege showing and I'd hate for that to be the case.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/rutg...xBT6AU9Gh5dhWcYkwUjsPJyzMV3nvgjjiKT55OzODm6j4

But let's ignore the grammar mistake and assume you're saying that "believing that America is not a racist country is dangerous." See, to me, the fact that you're willing to shut down discourse about this matter and just assume someone that believes the opposite of you is dangerous, is in fact...wait for it...dangerous.

The idea that "all African-American males should be feared or suspected of criminal behavior" is dangerous! The idea that African-Americans are less intelligent than any other race or culture is dangerous!

If you're hanging out with people who feel this way or read things from people who feel this way then I think you may need to reevaluate who you choose to be around and what you read.

I don't associate myself with one person who remotely feels this way and I've found that in 2020 people thinking the two examples you provided is very rare.

I don't associate myself with one person who remotely feels this way and I've found that in 2020 people thinking the two examples you provided is very rare.

Right. It is super rare. But it does exist within the hearts of individuals. And that's an issue that we can't do a damn thing about. Racism will always exist within individual people. And we have to accept that. There is no law against being racist. You cannot legislate what is in people's heart. But what we as a society can and should do, is punish people that act on their racism. And America does that. Better than anywhere else.

If you're hanging out with people who feel this way or read things from people who feel this way then I think you may need to reevaluate who you choose to be around and what you read.

No one I know is saying those things, either, but that doesn't mean those don't reflect underlying fears in our racist culture. And while we may not personally know anyone who feels that way, we see people on TV and on boards like this who clearly say things that reinforce those negative, dishonest values.

As for the previous question of who decides what views are dangerous, we all make those choices. The real question is what we do about it when we see such views being promoted or defended. Do we let them slide or confront them?

I don't claim to be as brave as this guy, but I wish we all were.

10676208_10152642853444103_2138745265099836772_n.jpg

I know people who believe all of the ideas I put forth as dangerous unfortunately. I have read some of these ideas on this very board! I experience the assumption of criminality or aggression every single day! I suffer from and, conversely, take advantage of the assumption that I am less intelligent almost as often. I admit that I use the underestimation of my competence often either in investigation of others' behaviors or to prevent people from targeting me to stifle my career. People often ignore those who they feel are not threatening. (careerwise not physically threats)

I wish I was as courageous as Mr. Wiesel or Ghandi or Dr. King, but I aspire to the ideal in the quote!

Honestly don't know how to send a private message without revealing my email too widely.

Honestly don't know how to send a private message without revealing my email too widely.

Kapp, you can send a private email on the site without revealing your email address. Go to the top right corner of the site and click on the middle box (looks like letter) next to your name. Then click "start a conversation" then type in the posters name and send your email. The person that you sent the email to will see a red notification in the top right. The cool thing is that at the bottom of the box you can restrict the conversation between the two of you. Good luck!

OK. No surprise, but my Tech Challenges have reared their ugly head. FLA please send me a conversation request because when I click on the letter the only option is to view all conversations I'm already a part of.

OK. No surprise, but my Tech Challenges have reared their ugly head. FLA please send me a conversation request because when I click on the letter the only option is to view all conversations I'm already a part of.

Kapp, it should also give you the option "start a conversation"... peck around for few seconds and you will see it...

He will need a paid membership to unlock the feature of starting your own conversations. He can only participate in ones started by other members with an unpaid membership.

Gotcha! Thanks!

Getting back to the HBCU deal......under the current circumstances we find ourselves in, I can see some, though not many, high profile guys being talked into making a statement through a tribal decision. But this won't be a parade by any means. Not many want to miss out on the major college exposure of being on TV all the time, staying in 5 star hotels, and eating in the finest restaurants, versus the limited exposure and travel lifestyle of the lower level conferences. And then they have the NBA to think about. Could easily lose money by not proving their worth against top caliber competition every night

Reactions: Tom79
Most of the violations we hear about are people steering players for their own interests. Agents, shoe companies, school alumni, and so on.

But what if, say, the NAACP got busy trying to convince top players to go to HBCUs? Would that break the rules, too?

Getting back to the HBCU deal......under the current circumstances we find ourselves in, I can see some, though not many, high profile guys being talked into making a statement through a tribal decision. But this won't be a parade by any means. Not many want to miss out on the major college exposure of being on TV all the time, staying in 5 star hotels, and eating in the finest restaurants, versus the limited exposure and travel lifestyle of the lower level conferences. And then they have the NBA to think about. Could easily lose money by not proving their worth against top caliber competition every night

I look at it from a different angle.

What would stop NBA players from donating millions of dollars to HBCU schools to use for any purpose. The schools use some of that money to set-up weekly autographs sessions and pay that player $5,000 a week to sign autographs FREE for local poverty kids. Some kids may be able to sell those autographs for thousand of dollars down the road and pay for college.

That's just one example. Everyone wins here.

Cade Cunningham, the projected #1 pick in the NBA draft next season chose Oklahoma State who is on probation next season. He could have gone to any other school but decided to go with Oklahoma State because his brother is an Assistant Coach there. They can't play postseason games. He is still the number #1 NBA pick and he helped his brother keep his job.

Last edited:
another angle?
Looking at the nba, there are so many bigs, especially, I have not heard of prior to the nba. I don't get out much....many of them seem to have ginormous big going for them in any event.

Most of the violations we hear about are people steering players for their own interests. Agents, shoe companies, school alumni, and so on.

But what if, say, the NAACP got busy trying to convince top players to go to HBCUs? Would that break the rules, too?

Trying to convince them? No. Why would that be a violation? Giving them something to attend or promising to give them something to attend would be a violation.

But I define dangerous ideas as those who by propagation can disenfranchise or endanger entire categories of people. In addition, those that fly in the face of overwhelming FACT not simply majority opinion! For example: The idea that "all African-American males should be feared or suspected of criminal behavior" is dangerous! The idea that African-Americans are less intelligent than any other race or culture is dangerous! The idea that America has not systemic racism is dangerous!

So, hypothetically, what do you think should be done if people spread these dangerous ideas?

For instance, what if Charles Murray keeps publishing articles expounding on the racial IQ gap? Or what if online right wingers continue to spread FBI statistics on disparities in racial violence? Or if a school in the ivy league put out a study showing that black people aren't actually treated differently by police?

What do you do if the ideological sacred cows get challenged?

I will fight the challenges with my written and spoken words so I won't have to fight them with my fists for there is no freedom for anyone when it is denied to some. The seeds of freedom sprouting throughout this country can not be tramped down with the arguments of those who fear losing their place of advantage and privilege.

I will fight the challenges with my written and spoken words so I won't have to fight them with my fists for there is no freedom for anyone when it is denied to some. The seeds of freedom sprouting throughout this country can not be tramped down with the arguments of those who fear losing their place of advantage and privilege.
You mean the seeds of Marxism, don't you? The only black lives BLM gives a damn about are the ones they can use to push their agenda. Open your eyes.

Thanks, TPF! In this day and age, love of our fellow is sure needed.

Jesus' description of love is exactly what we need right now:

It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends”

God Bless the Tar Heel Family and this great country!
Refreshing.
And in an update, not to mention what is likely destined to be a futile attempt to get this thead back on the rails, I'll just leave this here:

I don’t follow sports to be lectured on politics or “social justice”. I have only to access any one of a myriad number of media sources to get that. Sports is a brief respite from the constant political haranguing. I’m perfectly willing to give up watching sports altogether if the political angle continues.

Reactions: Terror Beard
I don’t follow sports to be lectured on politics or “social justice”. I have only to access any one of a myriad number of media sources to get that. Sports is a brief respite from the constant political haranguing. I’m perfectly willing to give up watching sports altogether if the political angle continues.
You can join the group of posters who said they won't watch once NIL happens.

Reactions: dadika13
You can join the group of posters who said they won't watch once NIL happens.

...and those before that who said if someone raises their fist for black power on an olympic podium
...and those before that who said if 5 black guys started at Texas Western
...and those before that who said if Jackie Robinson was signed to a MLB team

Funny how looking back all these years later those who said "that's not ok" always seemed to be on the wrong side of history and people didn't stop watching.

...and those before that who said if someone raises their fist for black power on an olympic podium
...and those before that who said if 5 black guys started at Texas Western
...and those before that who said if Jackie Robinson was signed to a MLB team

Funny how looking back all these years later those who said "that's not ok" always seemed to be on the wrong side of history and people didn't stop watching.
Posters who say they are going to stop watching because of this and because of NIL don't need to half ass it though. If they aren't going to watch then don't support them in any way. No game recaps, message boards, apparel, etc. If you're going to do it, go all in. Otherwise it's just an empty gesture.

Reactions: dadika13
Posters who say they are going to stop watching because of this and because of NIL don't need to half ass it though. If they aren't going to watch then don't support them in any way. No game recaps, message boards, apparel, etc. If you're going to do it, go all in. Otherwise it's just an empty gesture.

Yep.

I also don't get this from diehards like @Archer2. You love your Tar Heels...is it really worth depriving yourself of that simply because they choose to support something you don't agree with? What benefit do you get by not supporting them? UNC basketball certainly isn't hurting for fans so they won't feel the impact at all.

I just don't get why I'd punish myself over a cause I don't care about.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT