ADVERTISEMENT

More to come?...

Having one side, long before, on ignore when a back and forth begins is actually quite entertaining...who knew.

Knowing why you chose to put the one on ignore in the first place makes it funny imagining the stuff being spewed...lol

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
These are the words I take exception to.

2 things:

1. I have no idea what GMAB means so please speak Old Guy to me.
2. If you say it is "dumb" to call peeps A-A and end with, "they're Black Americans" you are indeed telling people what to call an entire race even if you didn't mean to.
3. To equate "Martian-American" to African-American is framing an entire race's potential identity as if it was a joke. (I am completely off base if some of your ancestors were actually from Mars, however) Words are powerful and we sometimes can say and do more than we intend.
4. I appreciate the exchange of ideas, but let's not turn it into name calling or anger, please.
Fair enough on those points, I can see how that can be interpreted like that, so my bad if it came off that way. GMAB is just shorthand for "give me a break".

I also appreciate the exchange, and don't want anyone getting angry about it either - so we're on the same page there.

I started to just lock this...but in this climate I realize any discussion of sports is going to involve some political discourse, however, we can do without the personal attacks and name calling.

I hope posters will remember where they are and do their best to limit Radar to UNC basketball. OOTB is there for a reason and is the place for political discussions. Please try to refrain from letting threads on Radar tumble into the quagmire of politics. If they do they will be either locked or moved.

Thanks or your continued support of this site and it's forums.--- Jim

I will make very attempt to stay on topic, but some statements are so ignorant that they are dangerous. When faced with the choice of allowing rampant ignorance to go unchecked against possibly getting banned at one of my adopted homes...well the choice might be painful but it is not really a choice!

As I have stated multiple times, I regret that these issues have divided this group but I am by nature a teacher AND by birth an African-American! I cannot remain silent in the face of ignorance and I won't be quiet in the face of racism!

I hate when pettiness derails threads as we often see from our closet trolls, so I will stick to sports as much as possible!

Go Tar Heels!

but some statements are so ignorant that they are dangerous.

Which statements are those?

When faced with the choice of allowing rampant ignorance to go unchecked against possibly getting banned at one of my adopted homes...well the choice might be painful but it is not really a choice!

Agreed. But America isn't my adopted home. It's my real home. And like you, I can't stand by and watch the ignorance on the left sabotage the amazing progress that we've made as a country.

Reactions: HeelFan58
I will make very attempt to stay on topic, but some statements are so ignorant that they are dangerous. When faced with the choice of allowing rampant ignorance to go unchecked against possibly getting banned at one of my adopted homes...well the choice might be painful but it is not really a choice!

As I have stated multiple times, I regret that these issues have divided this group but I am by nature a teacher AND by birth an African-American! I cannot remain silent in the face of ignorance and I won't be quiet in the face of racism!

I hate when pettiness derails threads as we often see from our closet trolls, so I will stick to sports as much as possible!

Go Tar Heels!

I would like to extend an invitation to you to drop in in on the ootb board if you could and share the perspective of an African American on issues. It needs it. You will get baited and read some jaw dropping ignorant stuff from a few knuckle draggers but the majority are reasonable and would appreciate some knowledgable discourse.

Or you can just come over and bash some bigots.

I believe as an American, I have the right to self-identify! Therefore, if I desire to be called African-American, not to say I am from Africa but to recognize my African heritage-why would anyone have an issue with this? I identify as African-American because when we as a race allow others to identify us we get called: N-word, colored, criminal, thug, angry, and other heinous names! A-A allows me to reclaim the dignity of our shared past and acknowledges my connection to the birth of humanity, civilization, and science/math. Referring to Giannis and other foreigners as A-A is most likely just people going on what they see and not thinking it through so it is not relevant!

BTW: 1. it is interesting how many insignificant issues people find to distract them from the important issue of treating everyone as if they have value! 2. It is condescending to attempt to tell an entire race what they should call themselves and should be avoided at all costs!

TPFKAPFS, I'm going to try to respectfully voice a different opinion. Opinions are just that, and as such cannot be wrong. You have every right to self identify, just as I have a right to look as you as just an American, without any moniker to differentiate you from any other American. I completely disagree with your statement that you will be called heinous names in the absence of using African American". Since I am not part of "we as a race", I, according to your statement must be part of "others" since you did not allow for a 3rd option. That 3rd option would be the overwhelming majority of us that would refer to you as a man, a teacher, a UNC fan, or any number of other adjectives with a positive intention. The few that would abuse that and call you heinous names likely will consist of as many people of color as people from other groups and should be dealt with on an individual basis. As to your BTW #1, of course every person has value. That value has nothing to do with the color of a man's skin but everything to do with his merits as an individual. I'm not even sure why you made that comment. Your BTW #2, aren't you doing the same thing that you're accusing others of doing by trying to define an entire race as African American, as opposed to American? I really am not going to argue but here's my opinion. As long as we as Americans divide ourselves, whether it be by race, religion, financial status, or any other measurement, we will never be a united people. All of us are Americans. The people that seek to destroy this country cannot do it as long as we are united, but even the Bible tells us that a house divided cannot stand.

TPFKAPFS, I'm going to try to respectfully voice a different opinion. Opinions are just that, and as such cannot be wrong. You have every right to self identify, just as I have a right to look as you as just an American, without any moniker to differentiate you from any other American. I completely disagree with your statement that you will be called heinous names in the absence of using African American". Since I am not part of "we as a race", I, according to your statement must be part of "others" since you did not allow for a 3rd option. That 3rd option would be the overwhelming majority of us that would refer to you as a man, a teacher, a UNC fan, or any number of other adjectives with a positive intention. The few that would abuse that and call you heinous names likely will consist of as many people of color as people from other groups and should be dealt with on an individual basis. As to your BTW #1, of course every person has value. That value has nothing to do with the color of a man's skin but everything to do with his merits as an individual. I'm not even sure why you made that comment. Your BTW #2, aren't you doing the same thing that you're accusing others of doing by trying to define an entire race as African American, as opposed to American? I really am not going to argue but here's my opinion. As long as we as Americans divide ourselves, whether it be by race, religion, financial status, or any other measurement, we will never be a united people. All of us are Americans. The people that seek to destroy this country cannot do it as long as we are united, but even the Bible tells us that a house divided cannot stand.

raw

AA’s don’t divide themselves by race. Evolution did. So as a different race they choose what they call themselves. Thats not being divisive. It’s acknowledging biological fact. As Americans some things unite us, some divide us. Some by choice , others not. You and others choose to divide yourself from other Americans with your religion and your politics. Wanna talk about how those things are divisive?

AA’s don’t divide themselves by race. Evolution did. So as a different race they choose what they call themselves. Thats not being divisive. It’s acknowledging biological fact. As Americans some things unite us, some divide us. Some by choice , others not. You and others choose to divide yourself from other Americans with your religion and your politics. Wanna talk about how those things are divisive?

I guess you do the same. Me too. By your logic, every single person on earth decides consciously to divide themselves? Is that what you're saying?

How about tourist and natives?

I guess you do the same. Me too. By your logic, every single person on earth decides consciously to divide themselves? Is that what you're saying?

I’m saying if you proclaim you’re a white man with a beard you’re not being divisive. However If you proclaim you know the only way to heaven and the only political party I should vote for then you are being divisive.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
As long as we as Americans divide ourselves, whether it be by race, religion, financial status, or any other measurement, we will never be a united people.
Everything you wrote is spot on, but wanted to highlight this quoted part. There are people who make their living off making sure there is still division along those lines you pointed out. They claim to want to fix it, but they actually don't because it benefits them too much if they can still point to it as an issue. But alas that conversation is better suited for OOTB than Radar I think, so I digress.

Nope, because you don't know my religion or my politics. I find it hard to believe that that is what you took from my statement. I'm not here to argue. Have a great day.

Never been on the OOTB board since until 2020 reared its historically ugly head there was nothing on here more important than the Heels! I will try it out but maybe not until the weekend since I have to work during the week! Can't afford to be angry when trying to help educate already anxious peeps lol!

Never been on the OOTB board since until 2020 reared its historically ugly head there was nothing on here more important than the Heels! I will try it out but maybe not until the weekend since I have to work during the week! Can't afford to be angry when trying to help educate already anxious peeps lol!
All I can say is don't get any on ya.

Reactions: Green C14
Hey TP, man we may disagree on a few things but I do want you to know, I have nothing but respect for you and I consider you a bud. Hey, if you ever get to lake Marion SC, let me know and we will go fishin!

I'd say he is. Or well, he will be if/when he becomes a full time resident in the US. He was born in Africa, and will then be American. That's sort of the definition of an African-American.

I think it's dumb when people call LeBron James, Chris Paul, James Harden, etc. "African-American". Those guys were all born in the US. They're not African-American, they're black Americans.

Similar with Giannis Antetokounmpo - he's not African-American. He was born in Greece. He's European-American.

Would Gary Player, Charlize Theron be considered African Americans? Would Elon Musk be considered African Canadian or Canadian American or Africanadian American? Trying to figure all this hyphenated American stuff.

Because calling someone a racist is supposed to end the discussion, right? Weak, weak, weak.

It really is amazing how thin skinned people seem to be now days? Just look at this threat, it features way to much talking at others, very little talking to them as people. At the first indication of disagreement they start lobbing nasty insults and trying to shame the other person. You are racist, you are a knuckle dragger, you are a terrorist, you are un-American? You are either on my side or deserving of a good public shaming and maybe even arrest?

What ever happened to trying to get someone that you disagree with to fully understand your position and then if disagreement still exists civilly agree to disagree? It has become an exercise in bashing until one side caves to another?

Can't really understand what you would need to "figure out" about how someone is identified. I don't actually believe the question is sincere, but...

1. The people on your list can be identified any way they want to. Kinda nice to find out that humans have some natural rights having nothing to do with law or custom or your opinions, isn't it?

2. African-American as a designation is a way to celebrate both our current American culture AND our shared African heritage! My family traces its lineage to the SW of Ghana for example. We also can trace our lineage to Wales and the Cherokee nation. Our American heritage is from the Cherokee originally and through 100's of years of living all across this country.

3. This may be one of the least important questions plaguing our nation right now!!!

Tell me how it works then. Answer the question I posted. Or you can give another snarky response and continue to show your ignorance. I expect the latter cause it fits your intellectual ability.

Oh so you sincerely dont understand the difference between self identifying on a racial basis versus a nationality basis. My bad. I thought such a damn stupid question had to be a troll job due to the “ignorance” and lack of “intellectual ability” required to actually not understand the diff so I figured I would have some fun with it. Sorry man. I’ll just leave it to TPF to school you. Snark snark.

Can't really understand what you would need to "figure out" about how someone is identified. I don't actually believe the question is sincere, but...

1. The people on your list can be identified any way they want to. Kinda nice to find out that humans have some natural rights having nothing to do with law or custom or your opinions, isn't it?

2. African-American as a designation is a way to celebrate both our current American culture AND our shared African heritage! My family traces its lineage to the SW of Ghana for example. We also can trace our lineage to Wales and the Cherokee nation. Our American heritage is from the Cherokee originally and through 100's of years of living all across this country.

3. This may be one of the least important questions plaguing our nation right now!!!

he’s just pissed you dare to take pride in your heritage and have the gall to call yourselves what you choose to. It’s divisive you know. Plus hyphens confuse him.

Honestly it is far less important how you categorize me than how you value me so I'll offer a trade;

You can call me Black if you also help fight injustice based on that designation! Fight it every day both internally and externally!

I'll even settle for you dropping out of the fight if you promise to teach your kids to see human before difference!

This what I thought of when I read this post.

You can self identify but be completely different than what you look like? I truly dont understand that.
he’s just pissed you dare to take pride in your heritage and have the gall to call yourselves what you choose to. It’s divisive you know. Plus hyphens confuse him.

Then why have hyphens? They don't confuse me, the stupid use of them does.

Have you had a bad experience with punctuation? Did a semi-colon bully you? Maybe you feel exclamation points are too aggressive...

I will try to help you appear more learned even though you have resisted so far..an intelligent man does not have to refer to things he doesn't understand as "stupid". On the contrary, an intelligent person finds the things he doesn't understand as an opportunity to expand his knowledge and dives into the challenge! Is it the hyphen or the designation you object to? I don't understand the fear inspired by my African appearance but I acknowledge it exists and I've studied its effects my entire life. (I want to call it stupid, but that would allow it to sneak up on me!)

Secondly, it is the height of ignorance to believe you can determine someone's nationality or cultural identity by looking at them! For example, you or someone equally enlightened used Giannis as an example of people misidentifying others as African-American. He certainly "looks" like one to me, but a little discernment and a little intelligence and you realize he isn't. He is African-Hellenic (BTW: Greeks call themselves Hellenes not Greeks)

Thirdly, African-Americans come in all shades and colors partner so "looking" at them doesn't give as much information as you might think. Wesley Snipes and Steph Curry's mother, Sonya, are both African-American even though one has short kinky black hair, dark brown eyes, a wide nose, and very dark skin-the other has long, blonde hair, blue eyes, a thin, sharp nose, and very pale skin (she was "accused" of being white by George Shinn who was angry because he thought she was a white woman dating black men!) So in your world it is ok for Snipes to identify as African-American (if he agrees to drop the hyphen I guess) but Sonya cannot because she doesn't "look" the part.

Fourthly, What exactly do I look like??? There are peeps on here I have met back in the day when we had the in-person meet/greets! I bet they would say I "look" African-American if it makes you feel better! (But I look nothing like Mr. Snipes so maybe my appearance wouldn't quite fit into your comfortable world view)

Lastly, once you get past this ridiculous obsession with what I call myself, you will be able to see that it doesn't matter in the slightest and is nothing but a distraction that keeps you from dealing with the real American problem....valuing peeps that "look" or "sound" different without condescension or condition! Fight the real battle and all win!

I said Makur Maker isn't an African-American because he's not *American*.

African American is a useful term because it differentiates black people in America from black people in general. And that African American heritage has a unique cultural, historical, and even genetic basis.

Who knows, maybe Makur is deeply invested in HBCUs and the struggle of African Americans in the US. But if he is, it wouldn't be because of a shared culture or history.

I have my doubts.

Make a HBCU famous for 3 to 4 months. I want UNC to get the best, but highlighting some of the elite HBCU s is not a problem with me. Howard law school is as good as Duke, and NC&T engineering program is every bit as good as NCSU. If having a star athlete helps everyone to take notice of these fine universities then go for it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT