ADVERTISEMENT

Nassir Little to announce tonight at 6pm

It's funny how now these top ten recruits are now really interested in us again but I am happy that we are back where we are supposed to be

Reactions: gary-7
So we will know something around 6pm today.
I hope if Nassir chooses UNC that some of our most recent naysayers on this board will offer some of that delicious dish they so often like to eat....:eek: :cool:

I hope if Nassir chooses UNC that some of our most recent naysayers on this board will offer some of that delicious dish they so often like to eat....:eek: :cool:
Shoot man everyone of us has had some of that crow before I personally like my fried served with a nice tall glass of told ya so juice...mmmmm mmm good eating there

Reactions: CrazyHeel
And to me, it confirms what all of us already knew... that Roy and UNC were recruiting by the book opposed to other schools which were recruiting dirty.

This last week has been a huge revelation for the past couple of years. All those years of "Roy needs to change" and "Roy's lost his touch" seem so silly now.

I'm no exception because I had some of my own skepticisms. Best crow I've tasted in a while.

Sounds like this ones gonna go our way.

Don't go overboard. No one will be eating crow. Little was headed to Arizona until the FBI probe hit and (at minimum) his AAU coach (Augustine) was going to get paid $150,000 for it. The FBI has in on the wiretap. If you read the FBI report you will see this. UNC got lucky on Little because Roy runs a clean program. The timing was impeccable.

Roy has not signed a Top 10 player since Barnes because every Top 10 player is offered money. Roy runs away from any situation that is fishy. I just hope the signing of Little, Shittu and any other OAD does not come back to bite UNC in the butt. Augustine is looking at 80 years in prison if he does not flip and help get other people get indicted.

As I said in another thread, I don't want Little of Shittu at UNC, but if they come on board I will support them and the team. I have a personal friend that is a well connected Rams member and he is not happy about the possibility that Little will commit to UNC. He told me that he will tell as many people that listen to him about how he feels about it.

Last edited:
I'm uneasy with the whole recruitment, but he's probably my favorite player in the class and, I think, a likely NBA star. So I hope we are indeed the pick.

Don't go overboard. No one will be eating crow. Little was headed to Arizona until the FBI probe hit and (at minimum) his AAU coach (Augustine) was going to get paid $150,000 for it. The FBI has in on the wiretap. If you read the FBI report you will see this. UNC got lucky on Little because Roy runs a clean program. The timing was impeccable.

Roy has not signed a Top 10 player since Barnes because every Top 10 player is offered money. Roy runs away from any situation that is fishy. I just hope the signing of Little, Shittu and any other OAD does not come back to bite UNC in the butt. Augustine is looking at 80 years in prison if he does not flip and help get other people get indicted.

As I said in another thread, I don't want Little of Shittu at UNC, but if they come on board I will support them and the team. I have a personal friend that is a well connected Rams member and he is not happy about the possibility that Little will commit to UNC. He told me that he will tell as many people that listen to him about how he feels about it.

Jackson was a top ten player too. And pinson in a couple services. Also pj Hairston was very close.

Roy has not signed a Top 10 player since Barnes because every Top 10 player is offered money. Roy runs away from any situation that is fishy. I just hope the signing of Little, Shittu and any other OAD does not come back to bite UNC in the butt.

So...you think that Roy has run away from every top 10 because they are offered money (which I agree with).

But you think that he'd now not run away and it will bite us in the butt AFTER this all broke with the FBI? That doesn't make sense.

We're going to get Little because it is now an even playing field and Roy vetted him. It's that simple and that awesome.

Reactions: Ned Cota
I mean, I still stand behind the fact that I don't want a team full of OAD's, even if we can get them now.

I still think last year's team is the perfect UNC team...lots of 4* and 5* upperclassmen surrounded by a OAD.

IMO, 2 OADs in the same year wont turn us into OAD U.

We'll still have our upperclassmen, And if our Frosh bigs aren't ready by year 2, they could cover those gaps for them.

I for one would be delighted to get a commitment from Little. These kids are 16 to 18 years old and are taken advantage of. I don't think many recruits families are going to turn down $150,000 tax free dollars for their son to go to school for 1 season for free. It's a select few players each year that get this treatment. There is 319 division 1 schools vying for 5 to 15 players that could go to the NBA straight from high school on a given year. I also don't want 3 to 5 of these players every year. I like a mixture of 1 to 2 elite players mixed with 3 to 4 year guys. I've always admired Coach Williams for leaving an elite program like Kansas and coming back to Carolina to put us back on top in college basketball. To now know that Coach Williams was on top of college basketball doing it the right way against other elite programs that were cheating every year is absolutely amazing. Roy Williams is a great basketball coach but an even better person and that's how I will always remember him. His mentor Dean Smith has to be very proud and I bet he has a big smile on his face looking down at Coach Williams.

Jackson and McAdoo were consensus Top 10.

Pinson was top 10 in many rankings too.

I just worry that we will commit what could be our only scholarship and it later turns out that Little isn't eligible because he or his family aren't clean.

If he is clean and we get him, I will be delighted. I'm just uncomfortable with the risk.

Consider the downsides if we accept his commitment and it goes south. First we will have tied up that scholarship. Unless Roy knows that someone will be leaving early or someone will be going off scholarship, that's our last scholarship, right? So, if Simi wants to commit in November, he goes elsewhere. Second, just imagine the spin on the recruiting trail when opposing coaches disparage Roy for continuing to recruit a player that "everybody knew" was dirty - because you know that's the way they'll paint it.

Point being, unless Roy is absolutely confident that Little and his family are clean, this just seems like too big a risk to take.

That said, everybody seems to think he's picking us. So I'm prepared to hope for the best.

I just worry that we will commit what could be our only scholarship and it later turns out that Little isn't eligible because he or his family aren't clean.

If he is clean and we get him, I will be delighted. I'm just uncomfortable with the risk.

Consider the downsides if we accept his commitment and it goes south. First we will have tied up that scholarship. Unless Roy knows that someone will be leaving early or someone will be going off scholarship, that's our last scholarship, right? So, if Simi wants to commit in November, he goes elsewhere. Second, just imagine the spin on the recruiting trail when opposing coaches disparage Roy for continuing to recruit a player that "everybody knew" was dirty - because you know that's the way they'll paint it.

Point being, unless Roy is absolutely confident that Little and his family are clean, this just seems like too big a risk to take.

That said, everybody seems to think he's picking us. So I'm prepared to hope for the best.

As far as shittu wanting to commit I'm sure Roy would find a schollie lol. Taking rush's is one option that comes to mind. Of all your worries that one isn't really a concern at all.

So...you think that Roy has run away from every top 10 because they are offered money (which I agree with).

But you think that he'd now not run away and it will bite us in the butt AFTER this all broke with the FBI? That doesn't make sense.

We're going to get Little because it is now an even playing field and Roy vetted him. It's that simple and that awesome.

The FBI is not the NCAA. They have deep pockets and they will dig. Augustine will flip if he does not want to go to jail for 80 years. Look, everything may look good on the surface and I like that. Bottom line, if the parents of Little have nothing to hide than no one has anything to worry about. If the FBI interviews them under oath and they say that nothing illegal occurred and that is the truth than they have nothing to worry about. I sincerely hope that is the case.

The kid was signed, sealed and ready for delivery to Arizona when the FBI probe hit. Look, I hope nothing happens in the future concerning Little, but I have always been a poster that looked at it from both sides. When PJ was causing problems, I was one of the only posters on the board that wanted him out. The same with Leslie McDonald when he got mixed up with the internet stuff.

Last edited:
Jackson and McAdoo were consensus Top 10.

Pinson was top 10 in many rankings too.

Ok, lets revise that to say that he has not landed any since Jackson and Pinson. But I don't want to get now in the minutia. Bottom line, Roy was 0-21 on OAD recruits over the last 3 years. He didn't get any because of the money being offered.

Several years ago Roy was in the running for Kevin Love and he lost out. Why? Because Kevin Love got $250,000 from a financial advisor.

As far as shittu wanting to commit I'm sure Roy would find a schollie lol. Taking rush's is one option that comes to mind. Of all your worries that one isn't really a concern at all.
Rush's scholarship will go to Little. Remember, Rush got the 13th scholarship.

We lose Berry and Pinson after this season and have added Black and White. So if Little commits, he will get the 13th scholarship.

Then if Simi wants to come here - and he seems to be split between us and Vandy, so that's quite possible - we need another scholarship.

In all likelihood, if we can land both Simi and Little and neither Jalek or Cam declare, Maye probably forgoes his scholly for his final season since he received it his first season.

But lets assume the worst and new ineligible for the 2018-19 season. who would the scholarship have gone to? Laz committed elsewhere. Days likely will too. Langford and Zion were never coming here. The rest of the elite prospects in 2018 are already have their final lists pretty firm. Anyone out of the top 30 probably wouldn't give much impact their first year and may clog the spot for 3 more years.

He's probably gone in 1 year no matter what, which opens up that spot for a very lucrative 2019 class. Really not too much of a risk compared to the reward.

Only worry I have is if the NCAA retroactively declares him ineligible after we've played him. I know the case isn't completely similar to D Rose, but we all know the NCAA is v. fickle.

Rush's scholarship will go to Little. Remember, Rush got the 13th scholarship.

We lose Berry and Pinson after this season and have added Black and White. So if Little commits, he will get the 13th scholarship.

Then if Simi wants to come here - and he seems to be split between us and Vandy, so that's quite possible - we need another scholarship.

One of Cam Johnson and Felton is expected to leave, if not both.

In all likelihood, if we can land both Simi and Little and neither Jalek or Cam declare, Maye probably forgoes his scholly for his final season since he received it his first season.

But lets assume the worst and new ineligible for the 2018-19 season. who would the scholarship have gone to? Laz committed elsewhere. Days likely will too. Langford and Zion were never coming here. The rest of the elite prospects in 2018 are already have their final lists pretty firm. Anyone out of the top 30 probably wouldn't give much impact their first year and may clog the spot for 3 more years.

He's probably gone in 1 year no matter what, which opens up that spot for a very lucrative 2019 class. Really not too much of a risk compared to the reward.

Only worry I have is if the NCAA retroactively declares him ineligible after we've played him. I know the case isn't completely similar to D Rose, but we all know the NCAA is v. fickle.

Maye is not giving up his ship. For what that kid has done for the Heels you think Roy is going to ask him to give up his ship for a recruit? Ain't happening.

You could be right, but I just don't understand why he would do that - or why he would be expected to. He was promised a scholarship with the understanding that if one weren't available his first year, he wouldn't get one as a frosh. He got lucky, because there was one available his first year. Which, when you think about it, was likely to be true - because we usually don't have more than 12 guys on scholarship before giving out scholarships to walkons.

Now maybe there are other work-arounds. Perhaps Luke or someone else could qualify for a non-athletic scholarship. Wasn't that the case with Will Johnson, back in the day? He was a Morehead Scholar, or something, so didn't need an athletic scholarship.

One of Cam Johnson and Felton is expected to leave, if not both.
I'm just guessing but I put the odds at well under 50% for both, individually. Then again, the odds could be above 50% for one of them to go.

But those are just odds and guesses. Here's how it looks to me.

Despite Tony's surprise OAD path, it's hard to see Jalek getting enough PT to prove to the pros that he should be a 1st round draft pick. Even though there are some who are convinced he'll be a great PG, there are plenty of others who doubt he'll be that good as a freshman. And he'll have a lot of competition for limited minutes. Plus, it just seems easier for a big non-starter to make it into the first round than a small non-starter. So unless Jalek can both perform really well AND push his way into the starting lineup, I don't see it. Some have speculated that Joel will play a lot at SG, giving more minutes to Jalek and Seventh at PG. Maybe. But who does that send to the bench - and is that a good trade-off for the team?

Cam might well be planning to go pro. He may have had that conversation with Roy. But he still needs to integrate into a new team and perform at a high level, or it could take him a second year. He'll be on a bigger stage than at Pitt. And we'll need him to score. And he'll almost certainly have the green light. All things that will help him make a case that he should be drafted. But he will also be a top target for defenders - which was not the case playing behind Young and Artis at Pitt. My guess is that he'll have to do better than he did at Pitt to be able to go pro after 1 year here. Unless, maybe, he's OK going mid-to-late 2nd round.

But, again, those are just my guesses. Still, Roy doesn't usually commit scholarships he doesn't clearly have, does he? So if Little signs AND Simi also commits, then I'll assume Roy knows he has that scholarship.

Last edited:
IMO, 2 OADs in the same year wont turn us into OAD U.

We'll still have our upperclassmen, And if our Frosh bigs aren't ready by year 2, they could cover those gaps for them.

Agree, I don't mind 2. Anything more...eh...losing 3 guys along with your upperclassman is very tough to replace (as UK, Zona, and Duke have proven).

Ok, lets revise that to say that he has not landed any since Jackson and Pinson. But I don't want to get now in the minutia. Bottom line, Roy was 0-21 on OAD recruits over the last 3 years. He didn't get any because of the money being offered.

Several years ago Roy was in the running for Kevin Love and he lost out. Why? Because Kevin Love got $250,000 from a financial advisor.

Believe me, I understand your concerns. But its because Roy has gone 0-21 that I think he's trustworthy on this one.

Roy has not landed a single player that was implicated in the scandal. And even the ones that we recruited, they ended up committing elsewhere. I feel that this has earned him some merit in these situations

TL;DR: just trust Roy.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I want Simi if he is willing to come and I'd take him over Little mainly due to my skepticism of the Little situation. I assume if we are able to get both, Roy will have a scholarship available. If it were a first come first serve situation then I'd prefer Simi at this point.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Maye is not giving up his ship. For what that kid has done for the Heels you think Roy is going to ask him to give up his ship for a recruit? Ain't happening.

If the situation arises where Simi does want to commit and the only thing stopping that would be a scholarship I think it would be less of Roy asking Luke to give up his and more of Luke doing it for the betterment of the team. There aren't many kids like him these days.

Reactions: RoseHeel
I think Cam has pretty much told Roy he's only here for a year. He's old.
Cam is the one. Can't count on Jalek to be OAD because he's playing behind several guys...Berry, Cam, Williams, Pinson. Similar to where Tony was on the depth chart last year, so it's definitely possible.

With how confident our insiders are with 4 schollys available we've gotta know one guy for certain. Cam's special situation makes him the logical choice. Jalek would make 5, and would probably be given to a walk-on since we wouldn't know until after the 18 class is complete.

You could be right, but I just don't understand why he would do that - or why he would be expected to. He was promised a scholarship with the understanding that if one weren't available his first year, he wouldn't get one as a frosh. He got lucky, because there was one available his first year. Which, when you think about it, was likely to be true - because we usually don't have more than 12 guys on scholarship before giving out scholarships to walkons.

Now maybe there are other work-arounds. Perhaps Luke or someone else could qualify for a non-athletic scholarship. Wasn't that the case with Will Johnson, back in the day? He was a Morehead Scholar, or something, so didn't need an athletic scholarship.

When he came in, he was already expected to only have a scholarship for 3 years anyway. I don't see the problem, if he's willing. And I think he would be.

This is just my own observation, but Luke seems like a guy who would take one for the team if he had to. He doesnt strike me as a guy who would put himself over the team if he could make them better. And that's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite players on the team right now.

If he isn't, then the point is moot, but I stick by it.

And I've heard he's not necessarily hurting on cash either. Not sure if its true, but if you'd turn down a full scholarship ar multiple D-1 schools to play at your favorite University and pay for a year, I suppose you you've got something pretty nice in the bank.

If Luke is willing, I don't see why he wouldn't.

Regardless, Roy offering so many guys in 2018 shows hes got something planned so he can take more than just one in 2018.

When he came in, he was already expected to only have a scholarship for 3 years anyway. I don't see the problem, if he's willing. And I think he would be.

This is just my own observation, but Luke seems like a guy who would take one for the team if he had to. He doesnt strike me as a guy who would put himself over the team if he could make them better. And that's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite players on the team right now.

If he isn't, then the point is moot, but I stick by it.

And I've heard he's not necessarily hurting on cash either. Not sure if its true, but if you'd turn down a full scholarship ar multiple D-1 schools to play at your favorite University and pay for a year, I suppose you you've got something pretty nice in the bank.
I see your point. They were prepared to pay for Luke's tuition and board for his freshman year if it had been necessary.

But at this juncture we'd be asking Luke's family to pay for someone else's tuition and board. It just seems very different to me.

Been around the Rams Club and now the Ed Found for many years. I am not hearing anyone in the Ed Found express anything other than to trust the University, AD, staff, Roy and staff, if there is a single iota of a sniff of ANYTHING we're off the kid. I don't Simisola worries us as much as Nassir. But again, some of my Ed Found friends including few former players have said nothing much and they will trust in the process. We have a process and much ground to cover prior to enrollment of either of the kids.

I believe if you're on scholarship at all then you count towards the 13 scholarship limit for the team. This was done to prevent schools from claiming guys earned academic scholarships so they could stash extra players. Makes sense when you think about it: you can only have 13 players earning any kind of scholarship money on the team.

But, again, those are just my guesses. Still, Roy doesn't usually commit scholarships he doesn't clearly have, does he? So if Little signs AND Simi also commits, then I'll assume Roy knows he has that scholarship.

I agree. How Roy approaches it is very telling. Since (it seems to me) he is looking to add two more players, that tells me he thinks someone will be gone early next year. He certainly is aware of the scholarship limit, and is not the type of person to be caught dumbfounded because of a preventable situation. I believe we expect to have room to add two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT