ADVERTISEMENT

Nate McCollum showed up but where are the rest of the wide receivers at?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
A APB must go out to Paysour, Blackwell, Jones and Greene and probably all of the tight ends as well to help McCollum this weekend because the Pittsburgh defensive coordinator will definitely have a game plan to slow the Georgia Tech transfer down.

Maybe it is the offensive coordinator’s faults that all of the other receivers were not trusted enough to have passes sent their way or maybe none of the receivers could find open spots against Minnesota’s linebackers and secondary but whatever the case other receivers have to be used and they must contribute.

Why the tight ends and backs out of the backfield are not used more is just so baffling to me. It is almost like Carolina has forgotten or just refuse to use screen passes anymore…

Someone much smarter than me please answer the questions of who else can help the passing game, why the tight ends and backs are not used and finally what happened to screen passes?

I'm probably not smarter than you but my guess is alot of this was due to what the defense gave them. McCollum said that the slot was open so they just kept going there. I don't know enough to say if the others ran their routes so efficiently that it helped McCollum or not. As for TEs, I was screaming same thing after App St. but it looked like they were involved- not sure how many times they were targeted but I believe Morales and Nesbit had about 6 catches and Morales had the big play. I'm thinking Copenhaver is limited catching due to his hand. I would like to see the backs used more as well.

TE still looks effective to me. Vs SCar a TE was our second and third leading receiver. And one of them had a TE too.

And they each had 3 catches vs Scar:
Copenhaver 3 for 52 and a TD
Kamari 3 for 46
Nesbitt 3 for 22

Vs Minn our second leader in receptions caught was a TE, plus Nesbitt got that TD. In terms of receiving yards a TE was tied for second place. And Copenhaver's hand is still banged up.

They were MIA vs App St, but that game seemed more about blocking (in which the TE were pretty active) and Copenhaver was wearing a club.

WR-wise, i feel like they need to get both Paysour and McCollom going. Paysour had 7 catches then 8 catches in the first two games. He's pretty reliable as a second option. I'm not sure if we're going to find a true field-stretcher this yr since Blackwell has the drops, Tez is sidelined and for whatever reason Green isn't putting it all together.

WR-wise, i feel like they need to get both Paysour and McCollom going. Paysour had 7 catches then 8 catches in the first two games. He's pretty reliable as a second option. I'm not sure if we're going to find a true field-stretcher this yr since Blackwell has the drops, Tez is sidelined and for whatever reason Green isn't putting it all together.
somebody needs to light a fire under Green. And somebody needs to set the NCAA on fire. I kid, I kid.

Reactions: blazers
When you play 3 WRs the clear majority of downs, and you rarely have a year in which the team has even 4 WRs who are truly prepared to play at this level more than a rare down here and there, then you have WR development problems. And that always must go right to the WR coach. Galloway has never shown that he is close capable of preparing even 5 WRs per year who can play and be worth their time on the field. And a team really needs. full 2nd team, which for this offense means 6 WRs.

Mack has made it known focus will be on the run this season. I wonder how that might factor in. Also, the WR's are probably learning a new system and routes. I'm sure that factors in.

When you play 3 WRs the clear majority of downs, and you rarely have a year in which the team has even 4 WRs who are truly prepared to play at this level more than a rare down here and there, then you have WR development problems. And that always must go right to the WR coach. Galloway has never shown that he is close capable of preparing even 5 WRs per year who can play and be worth their time on the field. And a team really needs. full 2nd team, which for this offense means 6 WRs.
What programs have 6 WR ready to go all the time…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT