ADVERTISEMENT

Was it the play calling or was it the receivers not getting separation that made Maye’s passing stats look look less than stellar?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
In my opinion it was probably a little of both. With the game Hampton was having and had I felt feeding him the pigskin over and over again was really the only offense that Carolina was successful with all night long so why ask Maye to try and force passes downfield. Let’s be honest here neither Jones or Paysour are as skilled as Green or Downs so asking them to deliver like those now NFL receivers is alot to ask.

On the other hand barely using the tight ends and backs had me shaking my head in confusion. After the big game by Hampton opposing teams are going to be stacking the defensive front so others will need to be used especially the tight ends and running backs

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I really think Pettway could help us a lot more now with Trez out, let him run some crossing routes for easy toss and catches that give him a step to run away from covering LB, that should draw safeties up and allow a pass fake to the short pass and a double move over the top. It is legal to pump fake a pass Drake!

Reactions: bluetoe
I really think Pettway could help us a lot more now with Trez out, let him run some crossing routes for easy toss and catches that give him a step to run away from covering LB, that should draw safeties up and allow a pass fake to the short pass and a double move over the top. It is legal to pump fake a pass Drake!
How good are his hands out in open space knowing a DB is likely bearing down to drill him? Some RBs changing to WR have real trouble catching the ball until they get really used to playing the position. And it is not as if Galoway is a proven master of coaching up players, much less coaching them up quickly.

How good are his hands out in open space knowing a DB is likely bearing down to drill him? Some RBs changing to WR have real trouble catching the ball until they get really used to playing the position. And it is not as if Galoway is a proven master of coaching up players, much less coaching them up quickly.
Kid is returning punts and kicks offs, they don't usually have a kid do that with bad hands.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
The problem isn't drawing safteys up. It's having someone to stretch the field so we have the middle wide open. That guy is ineligible and we have no one to replace him.

Play calling. My neighbor was at App game against Gardner Webb the previous week and all he talked about was how bad the d looked and also how mush better the back-up QB (Aguilar) was than the starter.

Very good hands, a lot of the scouts praised his ability to catch the ball. He'll be in the portal if he doesn't get an opportunity on the field.

Feels like the TE were only targeted twice, but both didn't go well. Imperfect pass early for a long-gainer to 88. And then Nesbit could've tried a little harder to keep his feet in the end-zone (i still want to see that is slomo though).

I'm hoping Chip is just saving stuff in his back-pocket, not showing all his cards and footage for future opponents.

I also wonder if the coaches don't trust Hampton much yet as a pass blocker, and Brooks is obviously out. On one of those sacks at the end of the game either he fudged or Barnes fudged.

And I wonder if some of these receivers slacked all summer knowing they'd ride the pine behind Tez. There have been some drops, or dudes running backwards when they're inches from the down. JJ Jones was okay.

I also wonder if the coaches don't trust Hampton much yet as a pass blocker, and Brooks is obviously out. On one of those sacks at the end of the game either he fudged or Barnes fudged.

And I wonder if some of these receivers slacked all summer knowing they'd ride the pine behind Tez. There have been some drops, or dudes running backwards when they're inches from the down. JJ Jones was okay.
"There have been some drops, or dudes running backwards when they're inches from the down."

that crap makes me go ballistic. You aren't Barry Sanders. Turn upfield immediately and get what you can get, and try to understand that catching the pass was the main objective. That's defective coaching, IMO.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Was thinking the same about Pettaway

I’m really confused with the WR play especially since we have recruited very well in this area. Someone needs to step up and live up to their recruiting hype/stars

I’m really confused with the WR play especially since we have recruited very well in this area. Someone needs to step up and live up to their recruiting hype/stars
in the previous system, if I understand, the receiver had some flexibility in his route according to the coverage, which would allow him to gain separation...and the QB would anticipate the receiver's adjustments according to a few factors. I thought the system was awesome, it was the stodgy play-calling that was lacking.

With a new OC, I'm thinking there's more to it than how talented the receivers are.

Goes back to last year we are seeing a lot of zone coverage because teams don’t want to get beat deep..Maye is taking what the D gives him..I love it so far and just the mentality of run the damn ball…Soon or later teams are going to have to stack the box and when they do Maye will have 1 of those games…

Maye has proven beyond any reasonable doubt what a great player he he. He doesn't need to keep doing that each week. Some people seem to want him to have monster passing stats every game - maybe to up his Heisman chances? I don't know what if any Heisman chances he might have, but it's for sure his chances are zero if the Heels don't have a stellar winning season. So I applaud his (and Mack's) "win the game" philosophy. Win and other things will take care of themselves.

Reactions: blazers
Maye has proven beyond any reasonable doubt what a great player he he. He doesn't need to keep doing that each week.
if he's going to get serious Heisman consideration he does, IMO. Sam Howell proved what a great player he was, but he didn't even get a sniff of the Heisman and he got drafted in the fifth round.

I personally think the Heisman is a highly subjective dog and pony show but I still would like to see him among the finalists, for his sake and for ours. For that to happen, our offense has to allow him to shine, and shine consistently.

W's help, but not so much when they come from 2 OT's against App State.

Dyami's bro and Ray Rose were highly rated dudes who should be srs this yr.

Andre Greene and Doc Chapman were 4* who are just in their second yr, and getting outplayed by some juniors apparently.

Blackwell was barely a 4*...

The WR coach is a good one, so i'll pin this on individuals not blowing up due to individual reasons rather than coaching or S&C or system things.

Reactions: DSouthr
I think we are averaging almost 250 yards a game on the ground and right at 6 ypc…Also have ran the ball 39 and 45 times thru the 1st 2 games..I like it…Also last game against App Drake checked out of around 10 pass plays because the run was there…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT