ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Board Votes to Allow Athlete Compensation

I have a dozen questions that can't be answered at this point by anyone here or by the NCAA for that matter. I happen to think they've opened Pandora's Box and will rue the day that they did. But there's nothing to be done except to see how they define the parameters and wait for the repercussions that ensue. Only then will we know how much damage has been done. I'm not going to waste any more energy on trying to guess what is going to happen. Others can knock themselves out.
Will it make you stop watching/attending college sporting events? (Genuinely asking)

No doubt there will be some money from that. I still think social media/YouTube is going to be the money makers. I saw an estimate somewhere saying Cole could have easily made six figures off of social media this year. Imagine what Sam could have made. The OL guys we're talking about are going to be getting their money from that type of stuff, because no one shows up to the party to see an OL.
Maybe this is a byproduct of what I read (mostly football) but it's interesting to me that a lot of folks are equating this to the effect on football.

It's going to affect CBB wayy more than CFB. Basketball players are inherently more marketable because we see their face and it's a much more individualized sport.

To me, it will be a benefit to CBB. The FBI investigation pulled back the veil (for those who were naive about it) on how much dirttier CBB recruiting is than CFB. Putting shoe money above board will help CBB IMO.

There's maybe 5 college football players per season that are nationally marketable.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Maybe this is a byproduct of what I read (mostly football) but it's interesting to me that a lot of folks are equating this to the effect on football.

It's going to affect CBB wayy more than CFB. Basketball players are inherently more marketable because we see their face and it's a much more individualized sport.

To me, it will be a benefit to CBB. The FBI investigation pulled back the veil (for those who were naive about it) on how much dirttier CBB recruiting is than CFB. Putting shoe money above board will help CBB IMO.

There's maybe 5 college football players per season that are nationally marketable.
Yeah, basketball players are definitely more marketable nationally. Another good thing about this is it will allow players in less popular sports, many of which aren't on scholarship, to make some cash. There's plenty of money to be made for a LAX or soccer player.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
A lot of posters on this site have said they would. My guess is they won't stop and will continue to post about redzone play calling and Roy not calling a timeout.
Well, for starters.... most saying this are lying. A lot easier to make a bold claim right now than it is to follow through. Very few people will give up something they've been supporting their whole life. It's kinda like those (myself included) who say they'd stop watching MLB if the NL adopted the DH. It will suck when that happens.... but I know I'm not going to stop watching baseball. Over time, it will become "normal" and accepted, just like how it's now normal and accepted that we don't play, say, Wake Forest in football every year.

And for those that do follow through with it, that's their right to do so. I'm sure some folks back in the day stopped following college sports when they realized student-athletes were gaining admission to a school they otherwise would have had no shot of gaining admittance (this would've been about 1940 by the way).

College athletics has survived world wars, multiple rounds of conference expansion and realignment (formation of the ACC was major conference realignment), and a hundred other factors. It will survive NLI too. In fact, it will most likely be stronger for it.

post about redzone play calling

339fgq.png

Will it make you stop watching/attending college sporting events? (Genuinely asking)
Possibly. Let’s see where it leads and what the ramifications are. If I feel college athletics are getting too far away from what they were meant to be, then yes.

I’ve already deserted almost all pro sports, which I would’ve thought highly unlikely even 20 years ago. So college sports could be next. A couple of more years should tell the tale.

UNCfootball posted:

"College is designed for students to get a degree so they can get a job after college to make money."

I'm sure not convinced that is strictly so for athletes....crip courses, degree tracks that are designed to keep an athlete eligible...

The day of the scholar-athlete are decades behind us. The average ACT score at UNC is 30.

BUT...

As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level.

Some athletes who play for universities are often there only because they are athletes.

Possibly. Let’s see where it leads and what the ramifications are. If I feel college athletics are getting too far away from what they were meant to be, then yes.

I’ve already deserted almost all pro sports, which I would’ve thought highly unlikely even 20 years ago. So college sports could be next. A couple of more years should tell the tale.
What's your definition of "what college athletics are meant to be?"

UNCfootball posted:

"College is designed for students to get a degree so they can get a job after college to make money."

I'm sure not convinced that is strictly so for athletes....crip courses, degree tracks that are designed to keep an athlete eligible...

The day of the scholar-athlete are decades behind us. The average ACT score at UNC is 30.

BUT...

As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level.

Some athletes who play for universities are often there only because they are athletes.
My guy, you're quoting a 'researcher' whose research was debunked as being faulty and, in a lot of instances, flat-out wrong.

I understand your position.. I admit I still watch a NFL game on occasion but not a must see every Sunday. I have no use for the NBA, just not entertaining to me.

Reactions: heelfan1961
My point is that we mistake college athletes as a representative portion of a school's student body....and we know, no matter what P5 team, that they aren't.

It has been a convenient fiction that we would rather uphold.

Somebody try to convice me that Kareem Hicks' (UNC) Wonderlic of 11 makes him college material.....or CJ Spiller's (Clemson) score of 10 or Oscar Davenport's score of 6...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT