ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Thread

Watching this game makes me love college basketball and wondering if it will ever be the same. That said, the Zags are not unbeatable. One shot away from losing. I got Baylor in the final.

Watching this game makes me love college basketball and wondering if it will ever be the same. That said, the Zags are not unbeatable. One shot away from losing. I got Baylor in the final.
Baylor is really, really good too. Still would be on the Zags if I had to, but this should be a good matchup.

Reactions: alabamaheel
You wish... I wish!

UCLA has made this tournament worth watching all by themselves! Their games have been great. I wanted them to win because I felt like the game on Monday would be worth watching. I think Gonzaga blows Baylor out of the water on Monday. It's a shame this wasn't the final game.
I hope and think Baylor wins. I don’t like Timme and Kisperts cocky attitudes (even though they have every right).. I do like the Baylor players attitudes though. Mitchell said their guys can score 20-25 points a night if they wanted to but they care more about passing the ball and getting open looks for their teammates. He said no single player can win any game and it’s done by working together. Great attitude.

I hope and think Baylor wins. I don’t like Timme and Kisperts cocky attitudes (even though they have every right).. I do like the Baylor players attitudes though. Mitchell said their guys can score 20-25 points a night if they wanted to but they care more about passing the ball and getting open looks for their teammates. He said no single player can win any game and it’s done by working together. Great attitude.
Yeah, I'm a little sick of Gonzaga's players. I just hope the game is close. I'd like for Mark Few to get a championship.

The Gonzaga/UCLA game was a great game. I made the comment to a friend of mine that I was watching the game with that UNC used to play at Gonzaga's current level. The ball movement, fast breaks, passing, lack of turnovers, changes in defense, quality of shots taken, and percentage of shots made all made me reminisce of the UNC standard of basketball. The ball movement alone while Gonzaga was on offense made the game worth watching. Just my 2 cents worth.

The Gonzaga/UCLA game was a great game. I made the comment to a friend of mine that I was watching the game with that UNC used to play at Gonzaga's current level. The ball movement, fast breaks, passing, lack of turnovers, changes in defense, quality of shots taken, and percentage of shots made all made me reminisce of the UNC standard of basketball. The ball movement alone while Gonzaga was on offense made the game worth watching. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree - but it's not like we haven't seen that level of UNC basketball in 30 years. I'd argue 2018-19 with Coby/Cam/Luke etc. we played that style of basketball (just not as well).

We most certainly did in 2017.

I know it feels like forever but we haven't been down that long and it won't be that long before we're back to that level.

Did Cronin pull a Roy?? Game tied, you have the ball 13 seconds left for a shot to get to the National title game. and you have a TO. He doesn't call the TO and well the rest is history. JMHO BUT I call the TO and s get my guys as calm as possible and design my best play for my best player to win it.

They did not lose because of not calling a time out. In fact, I wold argue that by not calling a TO his guys got not only a decent look but the rebound as well to tie the game. The freak shot at the end is not due to a coaching mistake, it is some devine intervention. I doubt he hits 2 out of 100 of those if he was unguarded during a shoot around. But I actually like the no TO by Cronin, and yes Roy's players knew that was they way Roy played. If I try and calm my guys down the other side will be calming their guys down as well. I understand the debate but you teach the kids everyday how to play under these scenarios and expect the opposing side to not be as disciplined.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
They did not lose because of not calling a time out. In fact, I wold argue that by not calling a TO his guys got not only a decent look but the rebound as well to tie the game. The freak shot at the end is not due to a coaching mistake, it is some devine intervention. I doubt he hits 2 out of 100 of those if he was unguarded during a shoot around. But I actually like the no TO by Cronin, and yes Roy's players knew that was they way Roy played. If I try and calm my guys down the other side will be calming their guys down as well. I understand the debate but you teach the kids everyday how to play under these scenarios and expect the opposing side to not be as disciplined.

I guarantee you he shoots way higher than 2% from that range. Especially unguarded in practice.

I’d bet any sum of money that I could personally hit that shot (unguarded in practice) at least three times out of a hundred lol

Similar to Luke's shot v Kentucky, Gonzaga didn't mess around - they immediately got the ball inbounds and pushed it upcourt quickly. If they had called a TO to set up a play, then UCLA would've had time to set up a defense too. But the Bruins were scrambling, had to play some D without fouling (and possibly assumed it was going to OT), which was an advantage to the Zags.

UCLA screwed up by not at least getting a shot off in regulation. Drove too far and got called for a charge. Gotta get a shot up just to see what happens heck maybe get a put back

Even with all the upsets the two consensus top teams all year will face off to determine the champion. Gonzaga with a shot at history as undefeated.

I guarantee you he shoots way higher than 2% from that range. Especially unguarded in practice.

I’d bet any sum of money that I could personally hit that shot (unguarded in practice) at least three times out of a hundred lol
Do you think he BANKS that shot at the rate you think he can hit it? It’s a freak shot. My cash is on you missing that shot at the rate you prediction on the run, after playing an entire game and running from the other side of the court. I wish we could get some friendly competition here. Easy money for me, a good time for all. Oh well, at least we can have fun discussing this.

Similar to Luke's shot v Kentucky, Gonzaga didn't mess around - they immediately got the ball inbounds and pushed it upcourt quickly. If they had called a TO to set up a play, then UCLA would've had time to set up a defense too. But the Bruins were scrambling, had to play some D without fouling (and possibly assumed it was going to OT), which was an advantage to the Zags.
Yep. All the grief Roy received from our armchair coaching fraternity over the years for not calling TO’s? In a huge game, neither coach called a TO in those two crucial end of game situations. And they’re both good coaches with tons of experience.

As 75 said, good coaches rehearse those end of game scenarios regularly in practice, preparing their team for just those moments. When those two moments arose in a game to advance to the title game, both coaches chose to forego the TO.

Hmmm.

Nice move going to a zone. It’s up to Baylor’s shooting now as they are the better team in man to man but the Zags have got their wings on now.

The two best teams from start to finish. Gonzaga has a hill to climb, should be fun to watch.

This is coming down to the last minute or two. Zags have weathered the storm. Second half should be entertaining.

Two deserving champion quality teams, go after it fellas, only 1 will get the crown. It is difficult !! What, Dean & Roy got 5 in 70 combined years? People take for granted what it takes.

Baylor is CLEARLY the better team in this game. Fine by me. They got lucky on Saturday night anyway.

Nantz just asked Raftery and Hill if they remember anything “like this” in the title game and ole Bill goes “never”. What a dickhead. He’s old and his memory is fading.
There are plenty of beat downs in the finals. Ku with Roy got thrashed by cuse. Our beat down o MSU. UNLV thrashed Duke. Those are just without looking.

clearly zags used all their energy on Saturday whole Baylor’s game was over in middle of first half.

Reactions: uncfanatic
The Greatest Team Ever lost against a very good Baylor team. The Zags are a good team but this year they would not have won the ACC, the Big Ten, the Big 12, and perhaps a few others. Ball don’t lie. Their conference is weak at best. Bites them every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT