ADVERTISEMENT

New 2017 post player offer

CarolinaMagic

Senior
Feb 22, 2007
Isaiah Stokes of Tennessee received a scholarship offer from Coach Williams tonight. Younger brother of Jarnell Stokes.

6-7, 270 centre.... just had a look at his mix tape.... he reminds me a lot of a lighter Meeks - a lot of butt-to-the defender post moves with nice touch around the basket. There's a lot of nice outside shots too. Also this is the kid who tore down a rim/backboard a couple of weeks back.
I reckon Roy's casting a wider net for that back-up style post player, ya know the third of the three we'd like him to get.

I dont know what to say really..I remember his brother/watched a few of his games ... 6'7 270...how's his Defense..I will just monitor everyone else..wow

lol. espn just said he reminds them a "shade of" Kennedy Meeks. Don't know why that made me laugh, but just in my transparency i'm a little disappointed.

This offer speaks volumes!
Yup.
It means many on these boards know less than they make out. There's been no discussion about Stokes on any of the recruiting threads and waddayaknow? Roy goes out and offers him!
So, is Roy throwing out smoke screens? Is he casting a wider net? maybe clutching at straws.... all depends on your viewpoint.

Or, I might suggest, maybe Roy and his staff are evaluating many players we're not yet hearing about. They might be making contacts, gauging interest and basically doing their homework before sending out offers.

As I said above, if a couple of top line bigs are still in the works, this offer is a good one. Stokes looks like a solid, 4yr player with good post moves and a nice outside shot.

Reactions: gary-7
lol. espn just said he reminds them a "shade of" Kennedy Meeks. Don't know why that made me laugh, but just in my transparency i'm a little disappointed.
Y'all are talking about a D1 athlete who had an offer from Auburn and other premier SEC schools as an Offensive Left Tackle in football and voluntarily eschewed it to try to get to the NBA like his brother. And BTW he's PJ's AAU teammate. The last I saw he was listed at 6'9.

Yup.
Or, I might suggest, maybe Roy and his staff are evaluating many players we're not yet hearing about. They might be making contacts, gauging interest and basically doing their homework before sending out offers.
As I said above, if a couple of top line bigs are still in the works, this offer is a good one. Stokes looks like a solid, 4yr player with good post moves and a nice outside shot.

Yup.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
Y'all are talking about a D1 athlete who had an offer from Auburn and other premier SEC schools as an Offensive Left Tackle in football and voluntarily eschewed it to try to get to the NBA like his brother. And BTW he's PJ's AAU teammate. The last I saw he was listed at 6'9.
Yes Gary that is the kid i'm talking about. Gary what do you think of this offer? Is Roy and staff looking elsewhere because of lack of interest, or trying to reach other players by this move? Honest question. I am learning a ton "trying" to keep up with all of this stuff.

Last edited:
Yes Gary that is the kid i'm talking about. Gary what do you think of this offer? Is Roy and staff looking elsewhere because of lack of interest, or trying to reach other players by this move? Honest question. I am learning a ton "trying" to keep up with all of this stuff.
Oz said it well, and we've talked about it in other threads, that the staff has more irons in the fire than gets publicized. Hell, I only knew about the kid because my Auburn Tigers offered him in football, and if Auburn sees somebody as a Left Tackle that's the real deal. Their last two guys there were 5*s and now are in the NFL and the next guy coming in is a 5* who'll likely end up there.

Anyway, Stokes quit football and started losing weight and decided to be a basketball player. Saw him play for Penny Hardaway's team and this big dude has a ton of upside and a ton of natural ability not to mention being a full-grown man.

IMO don't read anything negative into this offer.

Oz said it well, and we've talked about it in other threads, that the staff has more irons in the fire than gets publicized. Hell, I only knew about the kid because my Auburn Tigers offered him in football, and if Auburn sees somebody as a Left Tackle that's the real deal. Their last two guys there were 5*s and now are in the NFL and the next guy coming in is a 5* who'll likely end up there.

Anyway, Stokes quit football and started losing weight and decided to be a basketball player. Saw him play for Penny Hardaway's team and this big dude has a ton of upside and a ton of natural ability not to mention being a full-grown man.

IMO don't read anything negative into this offer.
Cool beans. I'm still fairly new to the board so there may be a different way to go about it, so please let me know if so. Auburn football??? There is a story to tell. U from bama? War Eagle grad?

Cool beans. I'm still fairly new to the board so there may be a different way to go about it, so please let me know if so. Auburn football??? There is a story to tell. U from bama? War Eagle grad?
Yeah, one of my degrees is from Auburn. I'm not from there or anything, but that made me a huge AU football fan in addition to my lifelong Heel loyalties.

It really is wild how different the athletic cultures are. In football the SEC is the closest thing to the NFL, in basketball it's the ACC playing at the highest level.

Going back to Stokes, for an elite OT to have that kind of basketball ability is pretty impressive. I mean you might occasionally see a TE like Tony Gonzales or a DE like Julius Peppers excel in hoops, but for a guy who was once over 300 with NFL OLine potential that's just absurd.

I dont know what to say really..I remember his brother/watched a few of his games ... 6'7 270...how's his Defense..I will just monitor everyone else..wow
He's supposedly down to 250 after being a 300+ O-Lineman. Listed at 6'9 on his EYBL roster (which probably means he's 6'8). BTW, went back and looked --- he was also 5/12 from 3 in EYBL this summer and shot 81% from the line. Pretty sporty for such a biggun.

Yeah, gary, saw him listed at 6'8" 250lbs. Makes me wonder about Huffman, perhaps this kid has a bit more athleticism, from what some of y'all are offering.

If he is anything like his brother it's a very good get for the college game. Jarnell was only 6'7 but was a 13 and 10 guy in his 3 years of college ball. Elder Stokes was just the D League MVP. If he was 6'9-6'10 he would be in the NBA.

Also I couldn't find any video of him that wasn't at least 1 year old. Would like to know how he has progressed physically from lineman to PF. But one thing about Lineman is they have very good footwork typically. Good for post players.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary-7 and Ned Cota
6'8" and 250lbs with a football player mentality, I like that because you do not have to beg them to attack. Now will say, a lil surprised because if Roy was going to offer a 3 star I would have thought Huffman would have got a nod, maybe he is being worked off grid.

But yeah, I am the guy that wants more offers to go out to big men, this one is a lil out of the blue however. Who next?

If he is anything like his brother it's a very good get for the college game. Jarnell was only 6'7 but was a 13 and 10 guy in his 3 years of college ball. Elder Stokes was just the D League MVP. If he was 6'9-6'10 he would be in the NBA.

Also I couldn't find any video of him that wasn't at least 1 year old. Would like to know how he has progressed physically from lineman to PF. But one thing about Lineman is they have very good footwork typically. Good for post players.
According to Penny Hardaway his footwork is very advanced because of his time as a Left Tackle. His big thing has been transforming his body to basketball. Apparently he's already dropped 60 pounds or so.

6'8" and 250lbs with a football player mentality, I like that because you do not have to beg them to attack. Now will say, a lil surprised because if Roy was going to offer a 3 star I would have thought Huffman would have got a nod, maybe he is being worked off grid.

But yeah, I am the guy that wants more offers to go out to big men, this one is a lil out of the blue however. Who next?
I like this offer a LOT. I've always talked about elite Bigs and project Bigs, i.e., that almost all HS Bigs are projects to some degree, once you get past the most advanced few at the top of the rankings. Hell, for that matter McCoy is still a bit of a project and even Bamba'a got a ways to go in his offensive game. I've said all along that Roy will go after 3 or 4 elite Bigs hoping to snag at least one, but also make sure he reels in at least one in the project tier.with good upside. I can't think of anyone in that second tier (including Watson) with more upside than Stokes.

I like this offer a LOT. I've always talked about elite Bigs and project Bigs, i.e., that almost all HS Bigs are projects to some degree, once you get past the most advanced few at the top of the rankings. Hell, for that matter McCoy is still a bit of a project and even Bamba'a got a ways to go in his offensive game. I've said all along that Roy will go after 3 or 4 elite Bigs hoping to snag at least one, but also make sure he reels in at least one in the project tier.with good upside. I can't think of anyone in that second tier (including Watson) with more upside than Stokes.

Yeah, Bamba and McCoy are both projects but they are 7ft projects and I like 7ft projects! LOL

Yeah, Bamba and McCoy are both projects but they are 7ft projects and I like 7ft projects! LOL
I also like 260 lb projects with good footwork, an already advanced shooting touch, SEC Left Tackle athletic ability, and who has a mean streak and can tear down rims.

SPOT-ON! And yet so many have already. I honestly think Roy wants a 4 year Big in this class and he's looking at Stokes and Watson. 1st to jump will get the ring. jmhho
Mikey, I see Andrew has now put up something on the front page saying most of what I posted last night ITT.

I'm just gonna add something for the benefit of those on here who appreciate that I might know what I'm talking about:
I've been able to see nearly all the blue-chip Bigs play this summer. In all honesty there are only three who are day-one stars and not projects to some degree ---- Ayton, Carter and Washington (If PJ was 2 inches taller he'd be ranked in the Top-10). Mo needs some offensive work and McCoy is raw (but hey, they're both 7-footers). For Bigs in particular, it all comes down to upside (we liked Tillmon because of that, for example), so I'm gonna put it out there that Stokes's upside is huge. He's only been concentrating on basketball and transforming his body for the past year, and we're talking about a PJ Washington-sized kid (probably a tad taller) who shot 42% from 3 and 81% from the line in EYBL all the while still being a developing talent. IMNSHO this is good scouting by Roy and fits right in with his plan (as I believe you correctly laid it out). This one has my enthusiastic thumbs up :cool:.

How does he run to you? He got there ahead of folks but that stride is kinda goofy. Heel to heel and feet barely left the ground. I'm assuming this improves as weight comes off but that dude has a real heavy trunk in the video.
I liked the way he ran. Lowered his center of gravity and showed good speed for his bulk. Not a hint of any knee or foot problems. Not blazing, but looked as fast any of our bigs last season, despite his heft.

No one in his right mind is going to take a charge from that guy.

Not a lot of elevation but a decent jump shooter. Better as a PF than a C, I would think. That said, he battles well around the basket.

I hope he doesn't struggle with his weight. And that he's at the tall end of the range of heights we see mentioned. Hard to tell from the clips, but 6'7 looks closer.

Also looks a ton like his brother, headband and all. I didn't know anything about this guy but I'd love to add this type of player along with all of our guards.

Potentially a little Draymond Green to him.
And that little pull-up jumper and baby hook DO look a bit like Kennedy Meeks.

Reactions: Ned Cota
As gary said way back up there :rolleyes: the kid is an athlete. Guy that size spin moving you on the baseline...what's not to like, Hmm?
Any other '17 kids out there may want to come join the fun before the train leaves the station...:cool:

Reactions: gary-7
SPOT-ON! And yet so many have already. I honestly think Roy wants a 4 year Big in this class and he's looking at Stokes and Watson. 1st to jump will get the ring. jmhho

Has Watson been offered yet . . ?

And that little pull-up jumper and baby hook DO look a bit like Kennedy Meeks.
I only WISH Kennedy possessed a baby hook like that, he wouldn't get his shot blocked so often. This guy is a much better athlete. I would love to land him. And WWJD, this guy will play center in college. And he'll be effective because he knows how to use that big body.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT