ADVERTISEMENT

New 2017 post player offer

I only WISH Kennedy possessed a baby hook like that, he wouldn't get his shot blocked so often. This guy is a much better athlete. I would love to land him. And WWJD, this guy will play center in college. And he'll be effective because he knows how to use that big body.
Well Arch, in fairness I believe the Stokes baby hook will need to be modified a bit against ACC competition, but I like it in general and as you said, the way he uses that big ol' body.Kennedy's works fine unless he gets himself off-balance too close to the basket, and I think a lot of that happens when his wheels aren't functioning properly.

Just not this type..settling for a 3star?..c'mon now..is that how far we've fallen?..first platek,and now this!!
C'mon now... if there's one thing I can tell ya about basketball recruiting, stars are for astronomers (and astrologers?), but seriously, just wait til the rankings get adjusted next. Stokes will move up, up, up.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Just not this type..settling for a 3star?..c'mon now..is that how far we've fallen?..first platek,and now this!!

Why is it settling? You don't want a project big man? He is 4 star on ESPN, ranked number 70. Seems like the other recruiting sites see him as a football player still. 70th ranked player, that just started concentrating full time on basketball and won't deter a bigger guy from coming?Yep, sign me up.

Why is it settling? You don't want a project big man? He is 4 star on ESPN, ranked number 70. Seems like the other recruiting sites see him as a football player still. 70th ranked player, that just started concentrating full time on basketball and won't deter a bigger guy from coming?Yep, sign me up.
if roundball doesn't work out we can feed him well and send him to the OL(that's offensive line for you non-footballers).

I will apologize!!..I don't know why I mentioned the stars thing..I've never bought into that stuff either..just got that old UNC attitude in me about getting first dibs on whoever we go after!!..i definitely know things aren't the same here the last few years with recruiting ..I trust the staff here on this one..if he wants to be a heel,I'll take him!!

C'mon now... if there's one thing I can tell ya about basketball recruiting, stars are for astronomers (and astrologers?), but seriously, just wait til the rankings get adjusted next. Stokes will move up, up, up.

Agreed . . . the talent differential between a 5 and 4 star rated player or a 4 vs. 3 star is fairly minimal . . we've seen 5 star peeps fail to live up to expectations, all while witnessing a lower rated HS player jump leaps and bounds in their second year of college ball.

I will apologize!!..I don't know why I mentioned the stars thing..I've never bought into that stuff either..just got that old UNC attitude in me about getting first dibs on whoever we go after!!..i definitely know things aren't the same here the last few years with recruiting ..I trust the staff here on this one..if he wants to be a heel,I'll take him!!

There is no doubt we have fallen in recruiting,k how far is a good debate but we used to get the talents that last few years have gone to Ky, duke, and kansas. But we still field very good teams even if they are not 5 stars filled. Roy kinda manufacturers his own 5stars and the difference is when he does they play like 5stars and ours play for more than just the single season.

But much like this board, UNC has been hot on multiple fronts by those wishing to take us down. You see how effective it has been by the tone of posters here, much more expectations of the worst rather than anticipation of great things. You see that to the extent that some get upset when someone trying to offer up positive hope that better times will come. UNC recruiting, this is a cycle we are in, the one & done deal has worked against us an to the benefit of our major blue blood rivals. Thing about cycles is they turn, what goes around comes back around and that will happen with this cycle as well. We will get back on top of the recruiting world, it may take the one & done deal being over before that happens to the extent we would like but it is getting much better even now with the 2018 class now that the NCAA clouds have parted.

Agreed . . . the talent differential between a 5 and 4 star rated player or a 4 vs. 3 star is fairly minimal . . we've seen 5 star peeps fail to live up to expectations, all while witnessing a lower rated HS player jump leaps and bounds in their second year of college ball.
Yep, yep and yep.
And Sexton jumped a hundred slots over one AAU summer.
As someone else pointed out I believe ESPN already has Stokes on their radar as a Top-100.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Yep, yep and yep.
And Sexton jumped a hundred slots over one AAU summer.
As someone else pointed out I believe ESPN already has Stokes on their radar as a Top-100.

Hey gary, any idea how long the kid has been playing organized basketball? I assume he didn't play much when he was a 300+ LB Olineman.

I've been saying I wanted something other than 4 stars. I guess I didn't think I had to specify I meant 5 stars, not 3 stars :(

Oh well, hopefully '58's idea comes to fruition and this ends of being an OT recruit for the gridiron squad.

Reactions: sgrooms
There is no doubt we have fallen in recruiting,k how far is a good debate but we used to get the talents that last few years have gone to Ky, duke, and kansas. But we still field very good teams even if they are not 5 stars filled. Roy kinda manufacturers his own 5stars and the difference is when he does they play like 5stars and ours play for more than just the single season.

But much like this board, UNC has been hot on multiple fronts by those wishing to take us down. You see how effective it has been by the tone of posters here, much more expectations of the worst rather than anticipation of great things. You see that to the extent that some get upset when someone trying to offer up positive hope that better times will come. UNC recruiting, this is a cycle we are in, the one & done deal has worked against us an to the benefit of our major blue blood rivals. Thing about cycles is they turn, what goes around comes back around and that will happen with this cycle as well. We will get back on top of the recruiting world, it may take the one & done deal being over before that happens to the extent we would like but it is getting much better even now with the 2018 class now that the NCAA clouds have parted.
Dave, you said a lot with the word "cycle". Yeah, UNC is not the current "trendy" thing for those who have their heads in the OAD clouds, but even that isn't the biggest deal --- we never really were, per se. We just have to get past the negative hangover, keep winning and restore our 2014 status as a destination for Burger Boys as well as solid program players.

I'll take a OAD in the right situation but as far as the "elite" recruits go it's the Burger Boys who'll give us more than one year that really matter. Think about it --- as we've said many times the '14 class was a perfect core class for a championship program. But think about if they had all decided to vamoose after one season --- what good would they have really done us? Granted we're getting one more year outta JJ than he originally planned, but here we are in 2016 with the chance Roy starts FIVE former HS All-Americans who are all upperclassmen. Does that even happen anymore?? And BTW, it's NOT because they are lesser players, it's because they were the RIGHT players for UNC.

I am quite confident Roy has us on the way back to being able to "select" like that.while going after the given OADs he thinks will help us. We're even off to a decent start in this cycle. We have one future Burger Boy on board already (well, if Jalek isn't one there's something VERY wrong) along with a very nice program player. He's still working very hard on several 5* types including elite Bigs and versatile Wings, all the while scouting out some high-upside Bigs like Stokes and Watson. Folks also need to remember Roy can easily have 6 schollies to work with for this class (if he chooses to) and I believe he will be making very good use of them :cool:.

Reactions: dlew71
Hey gary, any idea how long the kid has been playing organized basketball? I assume he didn't play much when he was a 300+ LB Olineman.
Don't know for sure but I'm guessing he's been playing since he's a kid, but just over the last year decided to get serious about hoops. I do know he was one hella-blue-chipper in football --- recruiters drooling over that size and footwork. If basketball is his first love (which I'm assuming it is) I guess with his junior year coming up that's when he figured it was now or never to make the body transformation. I also noticed he's transferring down to IMG for his senior year. I don't know if you've heard of it, but it may as well be an athletic training academy ---- college-level training facilities.

if roundball doesn't work out we can feed him well and send him to the OL(that's offensive line for you non-footballers).

Oh well, hopefully '58's idea comes to fruition and this ends of being an OT recruit for the gridiron squad.
If that happens, we need to try him out on the DL. Maybe he can drive to the QB just as good as he drives to the hoop. God knows we could use a couple of those.

If that happens, we need to try him out on the DL. Maybe he can drive to the QB just as good as he drives to the hoop. God knows we could use a couple of those.
If that's the case they might wanna recruit Joel Berry. Little Dog apparently was a holy terror in HS coming off the edge :D.

Dave, you said a lot with the word "cycle". Yeah, UNC is not the current "trendy" thing for those who have their heads in the OAD clouds, but even that isn't the biggest deal --- we never really were, per se. We just have to get past the negative hangover, keep winning and restore our 2014 status as a destination for Burger Boys as well as solid program players.

I'll take a OAD in the right situation but as far as the "elite" recruits go it's the Burger Boys who'll give us more than one year that really matter. Think about it --- as we've said many times the '14 class was a perfect core class for a championship program. But think about if they had all decided to vamoose after one season --- what good would they have really done us? Granted we're getting one more year outta JJ than he originally planned, but here we are in 2016 with the chance Roy starts FIVE former HS All-Americans who are all upperclassmen. Does that even happen anymore?? And BTW, it's NOT because they are lesser players, it's because they were the RIGHT players for UNC.

I am quite confident Roy has us on the way back to being able to "select" like that.while going after the given OADs he thinks will help us. We're even off to a decent start in this cycle. We have one future Burger Boy on board already (well, if Jalek isn't one there's something VERY wrong) along with a very nice program player. He's still working very hard on several 5* types including elite Bigs and versatile Wings, all the while scouting out some high-upside Bigs like Stokes and Watson. Folks also need to remember Roy can easily have 6 schollies to work with for this class (if he chooses to) and I believe he will be making very good use of them :cool:.

2014 we were the destination for Burger Boys? Problem IMO isn't really Burger boys as it is the one & done version of them. The best of the best big men seem to all think now days that they are absolute one & dones. That is the problem area, we have been getting burger boy guards, we have one coming in next season but getting those difference making big guys that feel they are one & done we are struggling with as long as this one & done deal stands. We may get the occasional big man on the cusp of being one & done and we will get the guy that knows he has to devlope his game in college before the NBA will call him but that clear cut mega talented big man that knows the NBA is calling after that one season of college ball, not likely to come to us IMO.

2014 we were the destination for Burger Boys? Problem IMO isn't really Burger boys as it is the one & done version of them. The best of the best big men seem to all think now days that they are absolute one & dones. That is the problem area, we have been getting burger boy guards, we have one coming in next season but getting those difference making big guys that feel they are one & done we are struggling with as long as this one & done deal stands. We may get the occasional big man on the cusp of being one & done and we will get the guy that knows he has to devlope his game in college before the NBA will call him but that clear cut mega talented big man that knows the NBA is calling after that one season of college ball, not likely to come to us IMO.
Well yeah, we had 3 Burger Boys in '14 and that wasn't abnormal for us in those days.

You're right though about the top Bigs and where their heads are these days vis-a-vis a quick trip to the NBA. My point is I AM NOT all that concerned about that --- I AM concerned that we got zero McD AAs in '15 and only 1 in '16. When things are right, 1 is a just-ok / even lean year for us.

Again, if we cop the occasional Marvin Williams/Ed Davis, then fine. As for Bigs I'll take a class of Burger Boys like Kennedy Meeks and Isiah Hicks again any day (not to mention that skinny non-Burger guy who came in the year before who turned out pretty good ---- better a college AA than a HS AA, right?).

Reactions: dlew71
Last edited:
Reactions: Bur-Heel and gary-7
Watch this video of his brother Jarnell's D League MVP season highlights. Compare it to the videos that were posted by others of his highlights. Younger Stokes moves the same way has a similar skill set and on top has more range shooting the ball compared to Jarnell at the the same point in development.

Keep in mind Jarnell just turned 22

Reactions: gary-7
As gary said way back up there :rolleyes: the kid is an athlete. Guy that size spin moving you on the baseline...what's not to like, Hmm?
Any other '17 kids out there may want to come join the fun before the train leaves the station...:cool:
His older brother is an athlete. Rumblings were when Jarnell left the Vols early he was going to look at the NFL potentially as a TE.

Reactions: gary-7
The dunk clip was fun, but this one will make you a believer:

Kid looks good. Good follow through and nice touch with the jumper, easily finishes through contact and takes up space around the rim .. and shoots 80%+ from the line. What's not to like. Give him some quality time with Jonas and that fella will turn some heads. jmho

Im a little shocked by the negativity around this offer (From some of you anyway). Many clamored for a new offer to a big for quite some time, so why the complaints.

According to ESPN's rankings updated today, Stokes is listed at #70 and is a 4*. And the 247 rankings have him listed as a FB player, not a BB player. No, hes not the premiere big of the class. So what? We all know Roy pushes for a mix of recruits. This offer to Stokes was unexpected, but we all knew an offer to a lower ranked player was coming, whether that be Watson or him.

I imagine itll be "First Come, First Serve", Between Stokes and Watson. Similar to Dotson/White.

Im a little shocked by the negativity around this offer (From some of you anyway). Many clamored for a new offer to a big for quite some time, so why the complaints.

According to ESPN's rankings updated today, Stokes is listed at #70 and is a 4*. And the 247 rankings have him listed as a FB player, not a BB player. No, hes not the premiere big of the class. So what? We all know Roy pushes for a mix of recruits. This offer to Stokes was unexpected, but we all knew an offer to a lower ranked player was coming, whether that be Watson or him.

I imagine itll be "First Come, First Serve", Between Stokes and Watson. Similar to Dotson/White.
I think some people who are wanting a OAD type player see this as potentially decreasing our chances. If he accepts, that's one less scholarship and in theory, less playing time available. Playing time is our biggest selling point right now. It's also a perception issue. Right or wrong it can have the perception that we can't get any top recruits and have to settle for someone who is lower in the rankings.

I think some people who are wanting a OAD type player see this as potentially decreasing our chances. If he accepts, that's one less scholarship and in theory, less playing time available. Playing time is our biggest selling point right now. It's also a perception issue. Right or wrong it can have the perception that we can't get any top recruits and have to settle for someone who is lower in the rankings.

This.

I am more impressed with Roy if he gets a top 50-75 guy and turns him into an All ACC player in 3 years. Rather than getting a top 5 guy who is gone after 1 season.

I don't see how offering a scholly to Stokes could possibly affect PT for a true OAD-style player.
As for perception... yeah, it might be the case already: top recruits aren't choosing the Heels because, well just because UNC ain't the flavor of the month right now.
So what do you do? Cry about it or sign the kids who want to play for you and do your best with them? I don't see Roy crying, so he must be getting on with the job.

I am gonna use the 2011 class as an example at random. Let's say UNC brought in this hypothetical 5 man recruiting class....

Trey Burke #84 in ESPN 100
Ryan Boatright #74 ESPN 100
Malcolm Brogdon #73 ESPN 100
Johnny O Bryant #46 ESPN 100
Cody Zeller #14 ESPN 100

By the time these guys are sophs this 5 would of been title contenders. But because of their rankings Dookies and UK fans alike would of bragged about Dakari Johnson and the Harrison twins , Austin Rivers and so on..... Simply because of rankings!

But the perception for this class prior to playing a game would of been.... Solid group but not what you expect from UNC. They would say we salvaged the class somewhat because of Zeller and that we only got him because of his brother.

Point: Don't just look at recruiting rankings. Seems to be a handful of 1st round picks at least in every draft that doesn't get ranked as the player they end up to be in college. How many of you were ready to be professionals at what you do when you were 18-19?

This standard that UK fans live by of recruiting ranking titles means little if 40-50% of your classes prospects have physically maxed out at 19 or are a long ways from being a finished contributing product. Especially when they are leaving after 1 or 2 years in droves. It also leads to inconsistency. When it all comes together or you get a special talent like an Anthony Davis it looks great. But guys like the Harrison's , Skal , Dakari Johnson are just role players at best while in school.

I mean if we are basing off rankings we all would of rather had Cameron Ridley over Brice Johnson out of the 2012 class. Nobody here is making that trade in hindsight.

Last edited:

He is actually listed on 247 as a basketball player(at least as of now).

http://247sports.com/player/isaiah-stokes-39080

Something on what space said, if people slow down a bit a take a peek a bunch of OAD's have also made the NBA first round bust list...just sayin...:cool:

Went back and looked at the video WWJD posted again and the more I watched the more I liked. Check out the finger roll and rotation on both his jumpers as well as the inside baby hooks. Even when he kisses off the glass he extends the fingers. And he has a nice arc on his jumpers too. With that type shot and his height and width that fellow will cause some major problems for defenses around the rim because the arc, width and strength he has will negate players that are taller and longer .. and if he's hitting 80% in EYBL and finishes through contact at the next level like he did against those children in the vid then that's 6+ ppg from the line every game.

You get that young man with a top shelf trainer like Jonas .. stick him in the weight room and push a jeep around the lot for a couple months you may well see a player you might compare to T-50 (with a better outside shot) that goes on to play in the NFL as a defensive end like Peppers.

And it never ceases to amaze me how some of you people out here are constantly nail biting, fretting and questioning an active HOF coach. Guess some never heard of that thing about keep their your shut and letting people think your a fool than opening it and removing all doubt. jmho

Last edited:
Reactions: RP12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT