ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We could lose a lot after this season. Our grads Armando, Cormac and Paxson for sure. Maybe Elliot and RJ. Somebody else might blow up and go pro (Ingram, Washington and Withers come to mind). Somebody else might transfer out from lack of use.

I'm figuring we lose 5 players, give or take, from our 11-man squad. With 3 freshmen scheduled to come in, that leaves 4 scholarships to hand out. Other than Boogie Fland, are there any freshmen we should be going after?

That said, after watching this clip, I'm not too worried. I realize defense was MIA in this game. Just look at the score. But Captain Jack was having a good time.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Will an 11-man squad become the norm in the portal era?

If you do a good job recruiting freshmen and fill in the holes with strong transfers - like Hubert has done for the 2023-24 season - then the beauty of an 11-man roster is that everybody who deserves PT should be able to get PT.

With more players, the likelihood increases that some future starter will ride the bench and decide to leave.

Of course Hubert still needs to show that he will use his bench. But assuming he does, could an 11-man roster become the sweet spot?

Welcome to the new college basketball world. You have success and players leave to strike while the iron is hot or disappointing season and they leave out of frustration. Those borderline 3/4 star players that can develop and are willing to have some patience are now key to a program. A coach is better off recruiting tweeners like Bacot who do not have a game suited for NBA, especially if he has potential for solid NIL $.

I cannot blame the coaches for getting out of that mess by retiring.

We are going to be sooo good next year. Cadeau is the key. If Cadeau stays and Jackson comes in (wow). I am assuming everyone healthy, but Washington will be a serious problem his senior year. Wilcher from what I have seen (Video) will be ready body wise to compete.

Don't care who else is on the team, we are legit with Wicher, Jackson, Cadeau, and Washington.

We are going to be sooo good next year. Cadeau is the key. If Cadeau stays and Jackson comes in (wow). I am assuming everyone healthy, but Washington will be a serious problem his senior year. Wilcher from what I have seen (Video) will be ready body wise to compete.

Don't care who else is on the team, we are legit with Wicher, Jackson, Cadeau, and Washington.
I don't want to be the one to break it to him. Anyone else feel up to it?

College basketball is becoming a year-to-year sport. Not going to care about 2023-24 when 2022-23 hasn't happened yet. And 2022-23 will probably dictate a lot of what's going to take place the year after regardless if we lose a lot of seniors.

On the recruits that are signed part... I'm usually bearish on the explosive SF athlete who can score, but jump shooting is a question mark (Ian Jackson). To me, that means an roller-coaster freshman year of great highs, but pretty bad lows. Drake Powell sounds like a 3-and-D wing without the 3 right now.

Oh, and I guess we can hope for Simeon Wilcher to transfer to UNC? Why not!

Reactions: DrJaaay

I am not expecting Cadeau back, I am not expecting RJ back either. I think we will be OK at the PG spot with Seth but if RJ is not back Seth has really no back up, that will have to be addressed. IN addition, much depends on How Jalen and High play this season as to how comfortable we may be at the 5 spot. We do have James (not Charlie) Brown coming in, don't know how much Konkwo wil be able to help but will they be ready for big minutes at the 5, not sure I am ready to bet on that one, could very well need to portal in some help there. Ingram/Jack/Drake should have us in great shape at the 3, maybe Jack can handle the 2 but is RJ there or not and rumor has been for a while that RJ is gone after this season. May need to portal a 2 but we are in the hunt for BIG TIME fish at the 2 spot in the next class so don't load up long term on a portal 2, a senior transfer may be perfect. This is where it would have been great had Wilcher stayed with his commit but hey, water already under the bridge.

Word of warning folks, we are about to run out of the covid 5th year transfer guys and the NCAA seems now ready to crack down on multiple transfers that are not grad transfers. There have been a ton of kids that had multiple years eligibility that have already transferred and a good number of them will not be able to transfer again until their grad season comes, unless the NCAA moves ahead with 5 years eligibility. What this means is the pool of available transfers that fit your need is about to really reduce so it will be harder to get that guy that can fill your need outside of high school recruiting. The NCAA just forced us to not do the NIL Blue white scrimmage so they are looking to crack down on the NIL stuff so who knows how that will end up.

Last edited:
College basketball is becoming a year-to-year sport. Not going to care about 2023-24 when 2022-23 hasn't happened yet. And 2022-23 will probably dictate a lot of what's going to take place the year after regardless if we lose a lot of seniors.

On the recruits that are signed part... I'm usually bearish on the explosive SF athlete who can score, but jump shooting is a question mark (Ian Jackson). To me, that means an roller-coaster freshman year of great highs, but pretty bad lows. Drake Powell sounds like a 3-and-D wing without the 3 right now.
I don't see any reason to be "bearish" on Jackson or Powell --- they are legit tremendous talents (especially Powell). The GLARING issue is who follows Cadeau.

The truth bomb is --- as EC will remind everyone this season --- a REAL PG is the absolutely necessary catalyst for our beloved Carolina system to be at its best, and this nonsense of thinking we can make silk purses outta sow's ears (i.e., PGs outta Combos) will be exposed as folly, if by nothing else, the stark comparison we 'bout to see (buckle up, BTW :cool:).

Now..... there is an actual chance (due to the quirks of the NBA) that we could luck up and get EC for a second season --- but that obviously is not something to count on by any means. But even if we do, the staff needs to identify and prioritize his successor ASAP. Sure, EC is generational-good, so it would be greedy to think we can snag a direct replacement, but still... it damn well better be a legit Floor General who can command the Carolina transition game--- and sorry @DSouthr ... Seth was just never gonna be that guy.

So yeah, you're right about the year-to-year thing, but remember that transfer rules are tightening --- and I have a sneakin' feeling NIL may be as well, to at least some degree. In other words, HS recruiting still matters.

I agree. With Wilcher we are a contender. We might could beat the '87 lakers. maybe the '91 bulls. He is just that good. We could probably just roll the ball out there with just him.

• Haha
I don't see any reason to be "bearish" on Jackson or Powell --- they are legit tremendous talents (especially Powell). The GLARING issue is who follows Cadeau.

The truth bomb is --- as EC will remind everyone this season --- a REAL PG is the absolutely necessary catalyst for our beloved Carolina system to be at its best, and this nonsense of thinking we can make silk purses outta sow's ears (i.e., PGs outta Combos) will be exposed as folly, if by nothing else, the stark comparison we 'bout to see (buckle up, BTW :cool:).

Now..... there is an actual chance (due to the quirks of the NBA) that we could luck up and get EC for a second season --- but that obviously is not something to count on by any means. But even if we do, the staff needs to identify and prioritize his successor ASAP. Sure, EC is generational-good, so it would be greedy to think we can snag a direct replacement, but still... it damn well better be a legit Floor General who can command the Carolina transition game--- and sorry @DSouthr ... Seth was just never gonna be that guy.

So yeah, you're right about the year-to-year thing, but remember that transfer rules are tightening --- and I have a sneakin' feeling NIL may be as well, to at least some degree. In other words, HS recruiting still matters.
I was with you up to the part about Seth, that is when I spit the hook! LOL WE see Seth very differently and it is going to take a good bit more information, as in watching him play this coming season for either of us to look at it differently. So there is no need for us to rehash what we have already hashed out in our view of the kid.

I think you are saying the very same thing I am saying in that Cadeau is a special talent and that when he does leave it is not likely you find a direct replacement for him but I do want us to use him as our proto type, to get as close to what he does as we can get. That to me means no Boogie for us at the point, boogie at the 2 for sure do it but not at the point. I would say the same if we are talking Trey Johnson or even Peterson. They are all combos trying to become college PGs that are very shoot first guys, not in the Cadeau model.

I posted yesterday, think it was yesterday, about what it looks like the NCAA is doing on NIL as well as the fact that we are nearing the end of the covid induced 5th year of eligibility. There are rumors that the NCAA is considering adding a 5th year of eligibility but nothing concrete as of yet. The portal transfer stuff, as we see now in football with Tez Walker, the clamps are already tightened and seem to have been without warning. So all that is in flux right now but it seems as if coaches have expressed so much concern about all the transfers happening that the NCAA is looking to curb that. Hey, at least they are doing something as opposed to keeping their heads buried in the sand and doing nothing while the college sports version of Rome burns. Before that crazy word guy pops back over here with his football is the only thing that matters and if you love UNC basketball you must hate UNC football nonsense, want to say I in no way agree with the NCAA on Tez's case, his eligibility for this season should be granted, they have already taken to long to make that decision.

Gary, do you see Boogie as a serviceable baton bearer for EC or is he a combo in PG clothing?
Assuming you're referring to Fland --- he's a totally different guy. --- scorer first for sure.
That's ok for a Lead Guard, but questions do remain as to Floor Generalship.
Not saying he can't be, but from what I've seen, if he ain't hittng, he doesn't seem to do his team much good.
Hoping he makes strides in that this season.

I was with you up to the part about Seth, that is when I spit the hook! LOL WE see Seth very differently and it is going to take a good bit more information, as in watching him play this coming season for either of us to look at it differently. So there is no need for us to rehash what we have already hashed out in our view of the kid.

I think you are saying the very same thing I am saying in that Cadeau is a special talent and that when he does leave it is not likely you find a direct replacement for him but I do want us to use him as our proto type, to get as close to what he does as we can get. That to me means no Boogie for us at the point, boogie at the 2 for sure do it but not at the point. I would say the same if we are talking Trey Johnson or even Peterson. They are all combos trying to become college PGs that are very shoot first guys, not in the Cadeau model.

I posted yesterday, think it was yesterday, about what it looks like the NCAA is doing on NIL as well as the fact that we are nearing the end of the covid induced 5th year of eligibility. There are rumors that the NCAA is considering adding a 5th year of eligibility but nothing concrete as of yet. The portal transfer stuff, as we see now in football with Tez Walker, the clamps are already tightened and seem to have been without warning. So all that is in flux right now but it seems as if coaches have expressed so much concern about all the transfers happening that the NCAA is looking to curb that. Hey, at least they are doing something as opposed to keeping their heads buried in the sand and doing nothing while the college sports version of Rome burns. Before that crazy word guy pops back over here with his football is the only thing that matters and if you love UNC basketball you must hate UNC football nonsense, want to say I in no way agree with the NCAA on Tez's case, his eligibility for this season should be granted, they have already taken to long to make that decision.
Look brother, You know I've said before that I HOPE Seth can make another step to being a decent backup at the 1. Unfortunately, from what I've been told (re: summer practices), that has not (at least as of yet) materialized.
Again, I'm not saying that is the final outcome by any means, BUT... it was also apparent when we recrutited him that the "PG" monicker was at best wishful thinking --- especially as the main guy there.

With that said, he can be an asset to this team --- hell, he's probably the closest comparison to Dexter Strickland I've seen here --- as an athletic Combo.

Last edited:
I HOPE Seth can make another step to being a decent backup at the 1. Unfortunately, from what I've been told (re: summer practices), that has not (at least as of yet) materiaized.
That's disappointing to hear.

I was hoping Seth would regain his mojo and improve his shooting before the season starts.

As I've said before, I incline toward having RJ back up at point, not Seth. But I figured if Hubert went with Seth, we'd be OK. This makes it sound even more likely that RJ will be the backup PG.

Could you elaborate on the changes you see coming? Thanks.
I think it is more likely than not that we see the NCAA allow a 5th year of eligibility across the board as well as maintaining the eligibility for a kid missing a season due to injury and I hope they allow red shirts to still not account toward those 5 years.

I think it may become harder for a kid that has already transferred once to transfer again at least until his 5th year of eligibility, what we see now as a grad transfer season. It may be harder to get exceptions to that, like the sick relative reason that has been really abused. Personally, I don't like the if your coach leaves you can transfer deal, you should be committing to a school and not a coach, I can see how many do not agree with that but that is my personal opinion. I would like to see a version of the baseball to pro rule, especially if the NCAA does grant a 5th year, that if you commit to a program and sign with them that you must play 2years of your eligibility for that program to qualify to play the next season for another program and not have to sit out a year. If that were to happen I would then like to see the grad transfer deal go away.

Personally, I don't like the if your coach leaves you can transfer deal, you should be committing to a school and not a coach, I can see how many do not agree with that but that is my personal opinion.
That one I'll disagree with. Imagine the only reason you went to Princeton was to study physics under Einstein, and then he moved, but you were required to finish at Princeton. Not identical situations, but if the reason you picked the school was the coach, making you stay when the coach leaves seems wrong.

I would like to see a version of the baseball to pro rule, especially if the NCAA does grant a 5th year, that if you commit to a program and sign with them that you must play 2years of your eligibility for that program to qualify to play the next season for another program and not have to sit out a year.
One "no fault" divorce, after which you either have to have stayed 2 years or have an approved reason.

Following your departed coach should be an approved reason, imo. But what happens if you leave because he coach leaves, then go to a different school. Could happen. Suppose you narrowed it down to 2 coaches and picked one. But then that coach is let go and ends up at a community college. Seems to me you shouldn't have to follow him there.

Out of curiosity, does Wilcher's move count as a transfer or just changed his mind? Had he already enrolled?

College basketball is becoming a year-to-year sport. Not going to care about 2023-24 when 2022-23 hasn't happened yet.
The sport has changed so much. Part of the fun is individual player development and piecing together a developed 13, but we barely have an idea what the roster will look like a year later.

I was hoping Seth would regain his mojo and improve his shooting before the season starts.

As I've said before, I incline toward having RJ back up at point, not Seth. But I figured if Hubert went with Seth, we'd be OK. This makes it sound even more likely that RJ will be the backup PG.
I have heard to exact opposite concerning Seth and this off season, that all indications are that that the staff as well as fellow players are very happy with how Seth's game has developed this off season. Very specifically, his jump shooting has been mentioned as being very improved as is his confidence in taking it. Now anyone can say Seth is not that guy but they are expressing nothing more than their opinion, NOT FACT! Fact will come when the games are played, we will see then, right now all we have is opinion.

One "no fault" divorce, after which you either have to have stayed 2 years or have an approved reason.

Following your departed coach should be an approved reason, imo. But what happens if you leave because he coach leaves, then go to a different school. Could happen. Suppose you narrowed it down to 2 coaches and picked one. But then that coach is let go and ends up at a community college. Seems to me you shouldn't have to follow him there.

Out of curiosity, does Wilcher's move count as a transfer or just changed his mind? Had he already enrolled?
Wilcher did not sign scholarship papers with us so basically all we had was a verbal so no, that would not count against his eligibility.

"That one I'll disagree with. Imagine the only reason you went to Princeton was to study physics under Einstein, and then he moved, but you were required to finish at Princeton." If I recall correctly, I believe Eienstien retired from UNC, in a funny twist on your statement! LOL I would say 3 things in regards to this:

1) I kinda think the real cherry to the kid would be a degree in physics from Princeton no matter who the profs were.

2) There would no no extra set of rules that apply to that kid as a student, so he can study where ever he wants. The NCAA has extra rules that athletes must abide to, in other words kid can still go to what ever school he wants at any time he wants just as any athlete can but in order to play a NCAA sport the kid has to abide by NCAA rules as well as the rules that apply to every other college student.

3) If the kid wanted to transfer from Princeton to UNC, LOL, I might would make an exception! LOL But if the kid really wanted to study under the greatest teacher of physics that has not been dead for a few hundred years he should have sought out Tesla rather than Eienstien, and yes, that is my opinion, big time Tesla fan here!

Keep in mind WW, I am giving my personal opinion, I am not stating my words as fact, well unless I say this is fact, you know what I mean. See to me it is absolutely fine to disagree with my opinion, I am not looking to change anyone's mind. I simply look to explain my opinion in a way it is understood, try to add as much fact as I can to reflect why my opinion is such, and answer any counter given opposed to my opinion. I do this based on the FACT that people rarely if ever change their minds, they do all the time change their opinions based on new information. So I try to give additional information for folks that do not agree with my opinion and let them consider that, if they will. I rage against closed minds that are unwilling to accept or in any way consider any information that does not agree with their already fortified view. Or the person that just wants to say I am wrong but gives zero reason why and that happens a LOT. That is why I enjoy going back and forth with you, you may not agree with me but you are willing to consider new information that could lead you to a different conclusion and if your position does not agree with me you clearly share why. That I respect!

Last edited:

Seth's shooting HAS improved, and he has been playing mostly off the ball.

Hell, why don’t we just give them 6 years of eligibility, or 8, or 10? I guess nothing matters but keeping them eligible to play, right? Some of you have sold your souls to the devil.

• Haha
Hell, why don’t we just give them 6 years of eligibility, or 8, or 10? I guess nothing matters but keeping them eligible to play, right? Some of you have sold your souls to the devil.
Personally I think the "soul" of the game, if that means not being about the bottom line first and foremost, was "sold" a century ago in college football and half a century ago in hoops. These are just adendums.

Seth's shooting HAS improved, and he has been playing mostly off the ball.
What does improved mean? He probably can't be a worse jump shooter than he was last year. Can you expand on a scale of below average/average/above average? If he shot 30% from 3 this year and 65% from the FT line, that would probably equate to a significant improvement, but a borderline unplayable off guard unless his defense adds a ton of value.

What does improved mean? He probably can't be a worse jump shooter than he was last year. Can you expand on a scale of below average/average/above average? If he shot 30% from 3 this year and 65% from the FT line, that would probably equate to a significant improvement, but a borderline unplayable off guard unless his defense adds a ton of value.
It'd be kind of hard to give you numbers since the season hasn't started, no?
What I'm telling you is his shooting improvement, in confidence and mechanics, has been noteable during summer practices and pickup.

I changed my mind once in 1978, but it turns out I was right all along!

I will give one recent instance, however! I recall being absolutely positive that G-7 was wrong about JB being the answer at point! I thought, ironically enough, that he was just another score first combo being converted so he wouldn't really add to our rep as PG U! (look up the back and forth if you desire) G-7 was so passionate and certain that I decided to sit back and see....the rest is history! Sometimes a DOG is just a DOG no matter where you put him! Cadeau is just such a dog and he happens to be a born PG!

In the absence of EC, I would definitely feel fine with RJ as our PG going into the season. I would be very nervous, until I could see improvement in decision making and confidence, if Seth would have been the option! I hear that Seth is slowly regaining his confidence and this to me is the most important thing he needs to do. Shooting will be fine once he removes the hesitation and just lets his shot flow naturally! (+ a ton of reps, lol)

Great post Gary…. Just because a guy is shorter than 6-5 doesn’t mean he’s a point guard!

UNC has a tradition of elite floor generals -either scorers or distributors or both and I can remember just one combo who ended up as the primary point and that was Coby White.

Unfortunately I think Roy’s success with Coby led to him thinking he could turn Caleb and or RJ into ‘silk purses’.

Anyway. We get to watch EC for one and hopefully two years and hopefully Hubert has no delusions about combo conversions.

I changed my mind once in 1978, but it turns out I was right all along!

I will give one recent instance, however! I recall being absolutely positive that G-7 was wrong about JB being the answer at point! I thought, ironically enough, that he was just another score first combo being converted so he wouldn't really add to our rep as PG U! (look up the back and forth if you desire) G-7 was so passionate and certain that I decided to sit back and see....the rest is history! Sometimes a DOG is just a DOG no matter where you put him! Cadeau is just such a dog and he happens to be a born PG!
Hey, as I said at the time, it took me literally 5 minutes of watching JB to know what we had coming. He was a coach's wet dream.

No matter one's individual forte --- scoring or passing --- being a legit PG is about being a Floor General, and most of that is instinct, and I watched that kid move not only his 4 teammates, but also the 5 guys on the other side at whim. And yeah, then there was that nasty DOG on defense.

As for now, folks, all I can say is that EC is as advertised. Put the rock in his hands and buckle up yer seat belts --- for the first time since JB we finally got us another Carolina Floor General.

Paige was a combo that was a really good point, but most look like what they are,,,,basketball players trying to do their best at a less than optimal position! I loved the work Paige put in at point, but when he moved off the ball, wow! JB had a hand in his blossoming, but MP was the reason I hesitated to support the change at PG!

I have changed from excited about upcoming seasons to now interested. Cadeau can be the love child of Bob Cousy and Jason Kidd but he is still a freshman with lots of questions surrounding him. If no one emerges as a consistent threat from deep, Hubert continues to not play a bench and the interior game has no depth behind Bacot then the season will be lather, rinse and repeat from past ones.

I HATE having to rely on freshmen and transfers but the days of guys learning the system and then producing their second and third years are gone. I do miss the days of the highly touted freshman carrying the film projector and not the team.

I have changed from excited about upcoming seasons to now interested. Cadeau can be the love child of Bob Cousy and Jason Kidd but he is still a freshman with lots of questions surrounding him. If no one emerges as a consistent threat from deep, Hubert continues to not play a bench and the interior game has no depth behind Bacot then the season will be lather, rinse and repeat from past ones.

I HATE having to rely on freshmen and transfers but the days of guys learning the system and then producing their second and third years are gone. I do miss the days of the highly touted freshman carrying the film projector and not the team.
Have a snickers! lol.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but, there is a LOT to be excited about this year. A health RJ and Cormac = better shooting and that's not even mentioning Elliot, Wojic, Jalen and Ingram. Remember, we still have one of the top two post players in all of college basketball on our team and our basketball IQ should be exponentially better this year. Sure BC will make some freshman mistakes, but I have seen nothing that makes me think he is not going to be Carolina's next incredible PG! Hubert is definitely the x Factor in my opinion. We need significant improvement from him in regards to bench usage and in-game adjustments.

We are going to good. How good? We'll see but this year we get back to Carolina basketball.

This is basically the reason why I'm excited about the upcoming season. There's a fair bit of mystery surrounding this team. Cadeau is obviously an extremely intriguing player. Whether he'll live up to those first ballot HOF comps or not is interesting. Whether Ryan, Withers, and Ingram will flourish here because of better players around them is interesting. What will Hubert do with his own guys is interesting.

The core from the last three years seemed to be the exact same type of team from their day 1. The Love/RJ/Bacot/Leaky core were somewhat average on their normal day. But could be really good on their best day. They crammed their best 5-6 games in like a 10 game stretch during the March run (plus at Duke). Those teams became really uninteresting and unexciting to me. They were repetitive and boring.

Sign me up for the relative unknown. They may suck, they maybe good, they maybe awesome. But I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

EC is a freshman in name only. We need to realize how much high level ball these dudes play now. He is not typical in his mental approach and certainly has the body to be ready! Even the vaunted speed/strength of the game is not as much a barrier as it used to be, but I expect this to be where he needs to learn the most! EC doesn't have to come out of the gate playing HOF ball, because we have plenty to help him through any hiccups. He needs to hit the ground running as a leader and let the rest of the game blossom naturally! This he can certainly do! (especially since leadership added is equal to the increase in shooting)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT