ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2022 - 23

Panthers once again make a qb decision they will regret
Kind of surprised they didn't take Sam. Would have been the perfect pick for them. I'm kind of hoping the Bucs pick him with the next pick. Would be a great situation for him. Solid team and get to learn behind Brady, then start in 1-2 years after Brady leaves.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Kind of surprised they didn't take Sam. Would have been the perfect pick for them. I'm kind of hoping the Bucs pick him with the next pick. Would be a great situation for him. Solid team and get to learn behind Brady, then start in 1-2 years after Brady leaves.
Yeah that would be a good spot for him at this point.

I'm certainly biased, but I think teams let Carolina's shitty OL and defense factor into their opinion of Sam. Dude is a warrior. Someone will get good value picking him 4th round.

Yeah that would be a good spot for him at this point.

I'm certainly biased, but I think teams let Carolina's shitty OL and defense factor into their opinion of Sam. Dude is a warrior. Someone will get good value picking him 4th round.
Yeah, I don't think the scouts really dug deep on the issues we had as a team. We see it every play the whole year and know why. They are just looking at a selection of plays. They just don't have the time to do a deep dive. Mack should have let them know that. He obviously didn't do a good job selling Sam.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Wow, I wonder if he would've came back if he knew he'd slide down this far.

Maybe Sam is not an NFL QB. Apparently, the geniuses in the NFL aren't sold on his abilities. Was it worth going into the draft early, for this reception?

Yeah maybe. If he doesn't get drafted, can he come back like the basketball players can?
I don't know anymore. I thought if you signed with an agent it was "officially a professional." I'm not sure, exactly. I doubt he will come back now.

Sam to the worst organization in professional sports. Sucks that he is already behind the curve before even putting on a uni.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
Boom... well there you go Strum. To the football team in round 5.
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.gif

This has turned into a nightmare scenario for Sam. He'll be 3rd string coming in and won't get many reps. Teams don't usually carry three QBs. He's looking at a possibility of getting cut and not even making any real money. Mack and Longo should be taking a lot of heat on this.

This has turned into a nightmare scenario for Sam. He'll be 3rd string coming in and won't get many reps. Teams don't usually carry three QBs. He's looking at a possibility of getting cut and not even making any real money. Mack and Longo should be taking a lot of heat on this.
Without Mack Brown, we never would have had Sam Howell at all. At least we got to see 3 years of circus-style passing and QB running! 50-50 win/loss ratio, but some very entertaining plays!

Why LOL? You don't actually think these scouts watched every single play do you? You honestly think they have the time to do it for Sam and the other 100 QBs that enter the draft?

Every single play if different that your first post. NFL teams with 10 scouts all missed on Sam's ability is what you are saying or they just draft on hunches and guesses?

Every single play if different that your first post. NFL teams with 10 scouts all missed on Sam's ability is what you are saying or they just draft on hunches and guesses?
Of course they don't draft on hunches. They draft on workouts and educated guesses. These scouts strike out all the time. Even the best of them. That's because they just can't analyze all the information. They don't have the time or the amount of people.

Of course they don't draft on hunches. They draft on workouts and educated guesses. These scouts strike out all the time. Even the best of them. That's because they just can't analyze all the information. They don't have the time or the amount of people.
I'm with you on the first four sentences, but you lost me with the last two. The NFL is a billion dollar industry. These teams are corporations with huge staffs of personnel. There is no one that is draft eligible they haven't analyzed, particularly the most important position on a team. It's why the draft closes and they are immediately on the phone to UDFA's and signing them to deals late Saturday and Sunday. Sam was fully evaluated. I can only hope that the Commanders (disgusting to even type that) are looked at as geniuses a few years from now for grabbing him in the fifth round.

I'm with you on the first four sentences, but you lost me with the last two. The NFL is a billion dollar industry. These teams are corporations with huge staffs of personnel. There is no one that is draft eligible they haven't analyzed, particularly the most important position on a team. It's why the draft closes and they are immediately on the phone to UDFA's and signing them to deals late Saturday and Sunday. Sam was fully evaluated. I can only hope that the Commanders (disgusting to even type that) are looked at as geniuses a few years from now for grabbing him in the fifth round.
I've never said they hadn't analyzed him. I'm saying they haven't analyzed every single down he's played. I'm not sure why that is such a controversial statement.

I've never said they hadn't analyzed him. I'm saying they haven't analyzed every single down he's played. I'm not sure why that is such a controversial statement.

Your original post:

"They are just looking at a selection of plays. They just don't have the time to do a deep dive."

Then you change to :

"I'm saying they haven't analyzed every single down he's played."

First off those are two different takes. Second.. with the amount of money involved in the NFL they have people looking at hours of tape on players, especially potential top 5 QB's in the draft.

Your original post:

"They are just looking at a selection of plays. They just don't have the time to do a deep dive."

Then you change to :

"I'm saying they haven't analyzed every single down he's played."

First off those are two different takes. Second.. with the amount of money involved in the NFL they have people looking at hours of tape on players, especially potential top 5 QB's in the draft.
No, they are the exact same take. A deep dive equals every play. If you don't like the wording, that's your problem. No one has ever denied they don't watch a lot of tape

No controversy from me. I just didn't read
That's because they just can't analyze all the information.
to mean
I'm saying they haven't analyzed every single down he's played.
But, I would beg to differ and that's ok. I would venture to say that a majority of teams, if not all of them, that were even remotely thinking about a QB looked at every single play Sam has ever put on film, as well as interviews, etc. It's just too big of a decision to not invest those types of resources.

I'm making two statements

1. Sam played a lot of plays in three years

2. Scouts didn't watch every single one

Which one of those is wrong?

Let's say Sam had 1500 plays worth looking at.

When you say "They are just looking at a selection of plays" to me that sounds like less than 200.

When you say "Scouts didn't watch every single one" to me that sound like 1475.

I'd say it was close to the 1475 is what the scouts watched with the money and jobs on the line in the NFL.

Let's say Sam had 1500 plays worth looking at.

When you say "They are just looking at a selection of plays" to me that sounds like less than 200.

When you say "Scouts didn't watch every single one" to me that sound like 1475.

I'd say it was close to the 1475 is what the scouts watched with the money and jobs on the line in the NFL.
Not only would I speculate that they watched almost every second of every play, I'd argue they've watched much of it multiple times. There is just too much on the line to not invest these kinds of resources.

Every year, every draft, multiple players slide down the draft boards and opportunities present themselves. If they haven't done the work, they can't make the right decisions. It's not a time to be flying by the seat of your pants.

Interesting article here. It gives you an idea of how the scouting process works. Interesting quote here, "The scout was required to watch 4-6 games on each player assigned."

Reactions: pooponduke
The situation with Dwayne Haskins death just got a little clearer from the bizarre original story that only referred to him getting struck by a dump truck on the interstate at 6:37 AM. Apparently, he was with a female companion following a night out at a club when their vehicle ran out of gas. He left on foot to go get gas. They did two tests of his bac which showed 0.20 and 0.24, multiple times the legal limit, and he also had ketamine and norketamine in his system. In an interesting twist, one of the 911 calls they released came from his wife, not the female companion, who was actually calling from Pittsburgh. Really sad scenario.

I was hoping that this was about Snyder being removed and/or kicked-out of the NFL.

If kids stop playing football, it will make it harder for colleges and pro teams to field a team. I still think it's another 10 years away before it gets really serious. Unless they can come up with some way to keep the brain from sloshing around inside the skull.

interesting move by the league after the watson mediation ruling.

roger using article 46 to insert his power i guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT