ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2022 - 23

Watson unlikely to fight anything even if they end up giving him a full year. He doesn't want the suspension pushing in to 2023 where he stands to lose substantially more money than if he just takes the suspension this year given the way the contract is set up.

I think DeShaun Watson is one of the most overrated players in the NFL in the last decade or so. The Browns aren't going anywhere with or without him.

Reactions: tarheel0910
6 games for the shit Watson pulled is far too lenient.
Six games is in line with what they've done in the past. That's one of the reasons the judge gave him that amount. If the NFL wanted to be hard on him, it should have done that in the past.

I think DeShaun Watson is one of the most overrated players in the NFL in the last decade or so. The Browns aren't going anywhere with or without him.
100% agreed.

6 games for the shit Watson pulled is far too lenient.
As @tarheel0910 notes, NFL has prior sanctions for others as an impediment here. They are playing the PR game asking for a full season minimum. I would not be at all surprised if they end up with a settlement. One thing I don't think the league wants is to have this drawn out and repeatedly discussed during the season.

what exactly did Watson do? Serious question. I don't mean the vague charges, I mean what did he actually do. All I've seen has been vague, but I admit I haven't looked to follow it at all.

Isn't that pretty much unavoidable?
Since Monday, it's been the prime story for them when it should be a focus on training camps and the start of exhibition games. If they come to a settlement, let's say twelve games as a compromise between the six and full season, it would be talked about when announced, when he comes back, and at random points during Browns games (who watches them outside of Cleveland?). If the appeal and lack of resolution continues, it will still be talked about during Browns games and every other time something happens in the process, something gets leaked, or another player has some issue. The NFL has every reason to get this done and change the focus back to games.

As @tarheel0910 notes, NFL has prior sanctions for others as an impediment here. They are playing the PR game asking for a full season minimum. I would not be at all surprised if they end up with a settlement. One thing I don't think the league wants is to have this drawn out and repeatedly discussed during the season.

I meant more out of principle.

The NFL sets their own precedents and Watson wasn’t charged with anything. But the guy is a straight up predator. Classic example of how the legal system doesn’t always achieve proper justice.

I meant more out of principle.

The NFL sets their own precedents and Watson wasn’t charged with anything. But the guy is a straight up predator. Classic example of how the legal system doesn’t always achieve proper justice.
You are right from a 30,000 feet viewpoint and a moral one, assuming there is fire behind the smoke. Much of this was she said, he said stuff and despite what I believe, that's not the legal system's standard. While achieving "proper justice" is the goal, one of it's bedrock principles is that injustice not be done. It always creates quite the quandary. But this isn't about the legal system because he went completely unscathed through that process.

This is the NFL disciplinary process. Sometimes it's the result of legal system results, but they also have their own independent arm of punishment. Past cases of violating the league's personal conduct policies have resulted in six game suspensions. Thus, the seemingly puny punishment compared to the allegations. They've got the problem of what they did in previous instances. The players' union would never allow a huge deviation without a fight as there is too much at stake down the road. Watson is good either way. The Browns were dumb enough to give him a contract that is fully guaranteed and this season he makes almost nothing (relatively). They all clearly were aware he might be out this season.

First I'd like to say that I'm glad more ex-players are going to get the money they need to deal with their declining mental state. That's a good thing and the NFL has plenty of money. I doubt they'll miss it. But I need someone to give me examples of how a cognitive test could be racially biased. Thanks in advance to anyone that can show me what that looks like.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
was listening to some scouts on the radio this afternoon re: howell…neither affiliated with washington and are pretty well respected, one with a sb ring.

they were bewildered why he didn’t go before the 5th and they said he’d be starting by year’s end…both guys work for teams that already have qb’s, so he wasn’t on their draft boards.

good news for you @strummingram

was listening to some scouts on the radio this afternoon re: howell…neither affiliated with washington and are pretty well respected, one with a sb ring.

they were bewildered why he didn’t go before the 5th and they said he’d be starting by year’s end…both guys work for teams that already have qb’s, so he wasn’t on their draft boards.

good news for you @strummingram
Yeah, I posted some YT videos that you have to watch on YT, above from his performance against the Panthers.

He wasn't quite as good against the Chiefs. I don't have much faith in the organization to utilize his potential, however.

Reactions: gteeitup
this dude is good…i feel like these football geeks are the mike mcdaniel types, all they do is watch film…have you seen mcdaniel pressers?

i’ve said this since howell started his college career, he’s a little mayfield, a little romo, and a little brees.
I haven't seen the pressers.

I think Sam could be a great QB, if the team can utilie and coach him well. I don't think Washington will do that. But, having Sam on the team is literally the only thing I'm looking forward to with the team. I HOPE they can capitalize on his talents.

saw something similar on twitter:

pick one qb on a team you hated that you’d take to win a game.
In the past: Joe Montana.
Now: Aaron Rogers. I know he’s lost a lot in crunch time but that seems to be more around coaching and game plan than #12.

Last edited:
Trubisky beats out the Pitt rookie for the Steelers job. Nice. Are we gonna have two heels starting at qb? Unheard of. (At least until one of y’all reminds us that it already happened)

Trubisky beats out the Pitt rookie for the Steelers job. Nice. Are we gonna have two heels starting at qb? Unheard of. (At least until one of y’all reminds us that it already happened)
Heels have a horrible, or should I say nonexistent, history at QB. Mitch and TJ Yates are the only heels that have ever won a playoff game. They have a combined total of two wins.

miss you…good to see you!
Thanks @gteeitup! Glad to be back occasionally. I got a big job change last December to an executive position at a big national bank.

A great achievement for my career - a great role that was like a double in compensation and likely my last role ( just turned 55 last Sunday - will likely retire or taper way back by 59) -

but the role is a lot more time and work. I have 12 direct reports on my team now - all professional high level salaried people.

I just need to stay out of the pol thread etc. here. nobody’s changing anyone’s mins here. Nothing good comes of it.

am all in for the Heels hoops and NFL and running threads. And other important things like bbq, good jokes, snack / food / music tournaments etc.

I hope all is well with you and fellow Heels here

And @gteeitup - what are your thoughts, predictions, expectations this year for the Cowboys?

it seems like their offensive line is still a mess and I don’t expect much from Zeke. I think his best days are way behind him. The defense should be ok and the qb and WRs should still be above average and best in nfc east. Maybe they get to playoffs by winning division. I just don’t see them winning all of NFC.

Great silver lining is my son is in his second year of law school at Alabama. We went there to see the home opener last weekend. The expectations there are through the roof, but it is fun to have a legit contender to cheer for, and while Saban can be an ahole meglomaniac - the coaches know what they are doing and they rarely underachieve. Going to a home game in Bryant Denny stadium was a top 10 sporting experience for me and my two boys for sure.

And @gteeitup - what are your thoughts, predictions, expectations this year for the Cowboys?

it seems like their offensive line is still a mess and I don’t expect much from Zeke. I think his best days are way behind him. The defense should be ok and the qb and WRs should still be above average and best in nfc east. Maybe they get to playoffs by winning division. I just don’t see them winning all of NFC.

Great silver lining is my son is in his second year of law school at Alabama. We went there to see the home opener last weekend. The expectations there are through the roof, but it is fun to have a legit contender to cheer for, and while Saban can be an ahole meglomaniac - the coaches know what they are doing and they rarely underachieve. Going to a home game in Bryant Denny stadium was a top 10 sporting experience for me and my two boys for sure.
anywhere from 7-10 to 12-5 for me re: dallas…i was okay with the off-season moves, except for not firing o-line coach…good thing is, mike wanted to keep his guys, so it’s all on him now…one step closer to getting sean peyton for me haha…the defense should be outstanding, so that’s something to be positive about.

good to read about your career move and your son…haven’t been to bama, but i do want to experience that atmosphere.

Reactions: Heelicious
Thanks @gteeitup! Glad to be back occasionally. I got a big job change last December to an executive position at a big national bank.

A great achievement for my career - a great role that was like a double in compensation and likely my last role ( just turned 55 last Sunday - will likely retire or taper way back by 59) -

but the role is a lot more time and work. I have 12 direct reports on my team now - all professional high level salaried people.

I just need to stay out of the pol thread etc. here. nobody’s changing anyone’s mins here. Nothing good comes of it.

am all in for the Heels hoops and NFL and running threads. And other important things like bbq, good jokes, snack / food / music tournaments etc.

I hope all is well with you and fellow Heels here
Awesome, congrats.

Hey, while we're talking, I could use a small loan, maybe fifty or a hundred grandish. Can you help me out? Should be easy enough to arrange for a big shot banker like you, ha ha. Hoping to Invest in some promising commodities that could be crossing the border even as we speak so I'm in a bit of a hurry. For collateral, I offer the tremendous amount of good will I've built up in the short time I've been here.

TIA.

• Haha
anywhere from 7-10 to 12-5 for me re: dallas…i was okay with the off-season moves, except for not firing o-line coach…good thing is, mike wanted to keep his guys, so it’s all on him now…one step closer to getting sean peyton for me haha…the defense should be outstanding, so that’s something to be positive about.

good to read about your career move and your son…haven’t been to bama, but i do want to experience that atmosphere.
Great post. I agree with all of this.

I saw some stupid kickoff special that Michael Irvin hosted, that auto-recorded for me. Granted it was part awards show, part celebration of community service but mostly overhyping individual players and extrapolating that into some sort of magical team success this year. Pure fantasy hype, as if wishful thinking or fast talk could get this team over the top. NFW.

Like you - if this year gets the cowboys to move on to Sean Payton, that will be a good thing. They STILL are the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Penalties cost them lots of yards and points and games.

Dak is probably a top 10-12 QB. No way is he too 5.

I saw some stupid kickoff special that Michael Irvin hosted, that auto-recorded for me. Granted it was part awards show, part celebration of community service but mostly overhyping individual players and extrapolating that into some sort of magical team success this year. Pure fantasy hype, as if wishful thinking or fast talk could get this team over the top. NFW.

Like you - if this year gets the cowboys to move on to Sean Payton, that will be a good thing. They STILL are the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Penalties cost them lots of yards and points and games.

lol, a Michael Irvin-hosted show? I'd have said it auto-recorded too.

lol is this the audio when he said if the cowboys clean up the penalties they’ll be chasing the 72 dolphins?

• Haha
season predictions:
afc: bills, colts, bengals, chargers, ravens, dolphins, chiefs

nfc: rams, bucs, eagles, vikings, 49ers, packers, cowboys

sb: chargers vs rams

season predictions:
afc: bills, colts, bengals, chargers, ravens, dolphins, chiefs

nfc: rams, bucs, eagles, vikings, 49ers, packers, cowboys

sb: chargers vs rams
no SB contender but I think the Panthers might surprise you and sneak in there. I'm not betting on it though.

Trubisky with an exciting win in his Pittsburgh debut. His stats weren't stellar, but I hope he's found a home since I'm a long-time Steelers fan.

Reactions: Grayhead
Trubisky with an exciting win in his Pittsburgh debut. His stats weren't stellar, but I hope he's found a home since I'm a long-time Steelers fan.
I absolutely despise the Steelers but my loyalty to all things Carolina put me in the weird position of not pulling for whatever team they happen to be playing. Congrats to Mitch but he is damn lucky he didn't get intercepted there late on a toss he probably should never have attempted.

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
I absolutely despise the Steelers but my loyalty to all things Carolina put me in the weird position of not pulling for whatever team they happen to be playing.
This times ten and I always thought Mitch got a raw deal in Chicago. Being a Ravens fan, it pains me to no end ever wanting Pissburg to win anything. Being more worried about Cincy in the long run, I was okay with a squealers win, but was really hoping for the tie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT