ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - Portal - Transfers - Departures - NIL

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I read somewhere that players have until May 11 to enter the portal.

Do you think any of our guys will do that?

Will any who are eligible to return decide to go pro instead?

How much will NIL be a factor? Good NIL might encourage wavering players to stay with their team. Better NIL elsewhere might encourage others to consider leaving.

Can guys like Armando or Caleb make as much playing overseas as they get now in NIL?

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Forgive my ignorance here, but why do we always talk as if NIL deals have to end when a player leaves? If Mando leaves to try and make a career for himself overseas (or in the developmental league for that matter) why would his current NIL sponsors cancel the deal? It’s not like his social media following gets smaller when he leaves Carolina. If anything, I’d assume it would grow.

I don’t really do much social media. I don’t follow any players or anything like that. But I’m assuming the players are counted on to continuously provide content on their pages so they keep certain levels of engagement. If they continue to do that, aren’t they just as valuable to the sponsoring entity regardless of whether they’re in college, overseas or in the D-league?

Forgive my ignorance here, but why do we always talk as if NIL deals have to end when a player leaves? If Mando leaves to try and make a career for himself overseas (or in the developmental league for that matter) why would his current NIL sponsors cancel the deal? It’s not like his social media following gets smaller when he leaves Carolina. If anything, I’d assume it would grow.

I don’t really do much social media. I don’t follow any players or anything like that. But I’m assuming the players are counted on to continuously provide content on their pages so they keep certain levels of engagement. If they continue to do that, aren’t they just as valuable to the sponsoring entity regardless of whether they’re in college, overseas or in the D-league?
I understand, and what I don’t get is how everyone assumes that these players will have these deals every year. Like they don’t have to perform to keep up or have renewed contracts. They way some of these “employees “ have looked have been suspect. Keeping their noses clean helps though, as far as we know.

NIL is mainly just a way for boosters to stock their teams with talent. They aren't going to spend that money on anyone who isn't a part of the college team they support.

There are some NIL opportunities that players get from non-boosters. Opportunities like the deal with Crocs that Armando and other athletes just signed. But they get those deals because they are high profile college basketball players. Businesses aren't going to offer those deals to G-League players or overseas players, because it would be a waste of money. The whole point is to advertise their business by being associated with a high profile player that is constantly on TV, and constantly being mentioned across all media platforms. Overseas players and G-League players (excluding the Ignite players) are not high profile and would not be a good investment.

NIL is mainly just a way for boosters to stock their teams with talent. They aren't going to spend that money on anyone who isn't a part of the college team they support.

There are some NIL opportunities that players get from non-boosters. Opportunities like the deal with Crocs that Armando and other athletes just signed. But they get those deals because they are high profile college basketball players. Businesses aren't going to offer those deals to G-League players or overseas players, because it would be a waste of money. The whole point is to advertise their business by being associated with a high profile player that is constantly on TV, and constantly being mentioned across all media platforms. Overseas players and G-League players (excluding the Ignite players) are not high profile and would not be a good investment.
That makes sense. They could but they probably won't.

The obvious exception might be if a player goes pro and continues to get publicity.

Shaver, Dunn .. Styles maybe ???
Dunn should stay if Caleb leaves, but might want to go if Caleb returns.

How about Trimble?

If we have a 5-man rotation for PG and SG, we're going to have a few unhappy campers.

Styles doesn't face a log jam, but is he going to be good enough as a junior to get meaningful PT? Frankly, if I'm Hubert, I'm looking for a top-level SF in the portal. Hard to know how Nickel will turn out but Puff and Styles have yet to show themselves to be starter material.

Am I correct in thinking this season counts as a redshirt year for Shaver? He didn't show us much, but does that mean he will want to leave? I mean I don't think anyone expected much from him for a year or 2, so he's still on track.

Last edited:
Dunn should stay if Caleb leaves, but might want to go if Caleb returns.

How about Trimble?

If we have a 5-man rotation for PG and SG, we're going to have a few unhappy campers.

Styles doesn't face a log jam, but is he going to be good enough as a junior to get meaningful PT? Frankly, if I'm Hubert, I'm looking for a top-level SF in the portal. Hard to know how Nickel will turn out but Puff and Styles have yet to show themselves to be starter material.

Am I correct in thinking this season counts as a redshirt year for Shaver? He didn't show us much, but does that mean he will want to leave? I mean I don't think anyone expected much from him for a year or 2, so he's still on track.
Shaver used his redshirt last season when he graduated early and joined the team midseason.

Especially hard to know how Nickel will turn out when he plays in 2-minute increments and dudes won't pass him the ball.
He can't guard anybody. Nobody with any sense expected him to play much this season. He played his entire high school career against small rural Virginia high schools. He was barely even ranked inside the top 100. He gets cooked every day in practice by the guards and wings on our roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
He can't guard anybody. Nobody with any sense expected him to play much this season. He played his entire high school career against small rural Virginia high schools. He was barely even ranked inside the top 100. He gets cooked every day in practice by the guards and wings on our roster.

He needs time to develop. He's not playing against 5'9" kids named Jethro and Cletus anymore.
I think there's been a pretty good sized sample that very few on our team not named Leaky can guard anybody.

I'm not saying that Nickel is the answer, I'm just saying in the very, very small sample I have seen, it has made me want to see more. Give me someone who gives 100% effort and has the ability to score and keeps the ball moving over someone who, even if more talented, mails it in and only gives effort when he decides he wants to. Effort is contagious. There are a lot of players who played against lesser talent in high school. Not all of them have state records for scoring. The coaching staff at UNC must have believed he could contribute at this level where they would not have brought him here.

He needs time to develop. He's not playing against 5'9" kids named Jethro and Cletus anymore.
Please explain what the heck your reply of "He can't guard anybody" has to do with the quote you were replying to that said "Especially hard to know how Nickel will turn out when he plays in 2-minute increments and dudes won't pass him the ball." ...?

BTW, gosh thanks for mentioning that Nickel played at a small school in small town rural Virgina, what a ground breaking thing for you to share, who knew Nickel played for a small school in high school, other than EVERYONE! Never mind the fact that where the kid played in high school OR what he did while playing there has NOTHING TO DO with how he plays now in college. I guess you just needed to find a way of incorporating a dig at the kid and you took that reply to get your cheap shot in, bad form...

I think there's been a pretty good sized sample that very few on our team not named Leaky can guard anybody.

I'm not saying that Nickel is the answer, I'm just saying in the very, very small sample I have seen, it has made me want to see more. Give me someone who gives 100% effort and has the ability to score and keeps the ball moving over someone who, even if more talented, mails it in and only gives effort when he decides he wants to. Effort is contagious. There are a lot of players who played against lesser talent in high school. Not all of them have state records for scoring. The coaching staff at UNC must have believed he could contribute at this level where they would not have brought him here.
Go ahead and drop the mic on that one !

Reactions: Archer2
So am I correct in assuming the school pretty much is getting NIL deals for the players. Obviously schools have wealthy donors who are decision makers for there own company or major companies. School goes to Bacot and says, if you stay I have 1.5 million set up for you in NIL deals?

Or are companies going to players personally and they make there own deals?

Please explain what the heck your reply of "He can't guard anybody" has to do with the quote you were replying to that said "Especially hard to know how Nickel will turn out when he plays in 2-minute increments and dudes won't pass him the ball." ...?

BTW, gosh thanks for mentioning that Nickel played at a small school in small town rural Virgina, what a ground breaking thing for you to share, who knew Nickel played for a small school in high school, other than EVERYONE! Never mind the fact that where the kid played in high school OR what he did while playing there has NOTHING TO DO with how he plays now in college. I guess you just needed to find a way of incorporating a dig at the kid and you took that reply to get your cheap shot in, bad form...

SMH, you don’t have to keep poking the bear. It’s not like DC doesn’t want Nickel to be successful, we all do, we’re Heels! He has access to practice info that most of us do not, he’s just sharing that Nickel might not be ready, albeit in a more frank way than some others would. Hubert gives him some opportunities, but obviously he’s not ready or he would have earned more time. And in all seriousness, no one really did expect him to be a big contributor this year. If he remains a Heel, and I feel like he will, he will be a big time contributor down the road. I don’t necessarily agree with everyone’s posting style either, but I at least like to look at posts for their face value, not whether or not I like the poster.

People try to start unnecessary pissing matches on here because they don’t like one poster or another, or because they can’t fathom that their take on something might be wrong. Again, SMH. Hope we’re all happy as shit tonight after taking care of business & none of this matters.

SMH, you don’t have to keep poking the bear. It’s not like DC doesn’t want Nickel to be successful, we all do, we’re Heels! He has access to practice info that most of us do not, he’s just sharing that Nickel might not be ready, albeit in a more frank way than some others would. Hubert gives him some opportunities, but obviously he’s not ready or he would have earned more time. And in all seriousness, no one really did expect him to be a big contributor this year. If he remains a Heel, and I feel like he will, he will be a big time contributor down the road. I don’t necessarily agree with everyone’s posting style either, but I at least like to look at posts for their face value, not whether or not I like the poster.

People try to start unnecessary pissing matches on here because they don’t like one poster or another, or because they can’t fathom that their take on something might be wrong. Again, SMH. Hope we’re all happy as shit tonight after taking care of business & none of this matters.
I keep poking the "bear" because I actually do not believe the guy, I think he is selling smoke! That is my honest opinion. I am not trying to convince you, it doesn't matter to me if anyone believe what I say or not, I am just going to give you what I think, raw as it may at times be. The guys says he has serious sources direct to the UNC staff and maybe he does, I have no way of knowing for sure it is just that what I see him say strikes me as being suspect. But just because a guy says he has all these rock solid connections does not mean I believe it just cause he said it?

We do absolutely have some folks that post here that are rock solid, most of them do not post often but when they do better to listen to them. For example, when Rex says something, I listen! Heck, we have a poster here I like a ton but he is full of "stuff" (LOL) and I know he is, I just enjoy him and yes he can be a arse. But he is like that member of your family, you know he is a arse but he is your arse and you defend him against outsiders! LOL But there are some I just don't buy as being about family, so I take the op to poke those BS bears I do not believe are what they try to portray themselves as. I simply do not buy chappel, I just do not believe him because I have seen to much that discounts his words. When he tried to convince this board that Nickel was going to be a 2 guard for UNC, I immediately stopped listening to anything else he had to say.

If he sucks on defense, then it must be his shooting that gets him playing time. Which makes it even harder to understand why they don't get him the ball when he's open.
Yes, this team does need players to defend their position but this team needs scoring, bottom line, it needs to get points up. Now if Nickel was a guy that didn't defend or move much on offense (Kerwin Walton) then I would take issue. But the kid seems to put in work when he is in on both ends, I am not going to discount him simply because as a freshman he is not a great defender.

75 calling 75! I don’t know how to tag anyone but I’d definitely like to know your thoughts on Tyler not getting any burn.

He's transferring to Syracuse where he'll have a green light to shoot and only has to play zone defense.
I hope he doesn't transfer. I'm just annoyed by the few delusional fans who keep crying bc he isn't playing much his freshman year. He isn't ready to play much right now. He needs time to develop, like so many great Heels did.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I hope he doesn't transfer. I'm just annoyed by the few delusional fans who keep crying bc he isn't playing much his freshman year. He isn't ready to play much right now. He needs time to develop, like so many great Heels did.
Maybe we are not watching the same player because he seems to be doing a pretty good job today against the dookies on defense.

Not my style to call someone who doesn't agree with me delusional, but you do you.

My only complaint with Nickel is that he won't hunt his shot more.

Hopefully Hubert can do a better job of getting transfer talent. Brady worked out great but nance was sporadic at best. A few good games but many lackluster games for sure

If Armando leaves, we need a center. Washington might be that guy, but he has a long way to go. And even if he gets there by the next season, we have no backup. If Armando returns, we probably don't need a center.

Nance is leaving. I wouldn't count on Zaden High being ready to step in. And even if he could, it's unclear if we have a serviceable backup.

Which is to say we need a power forward.

Leaky is leaving. Puff will be a senior and hasn't yet shown he can be a starter. Not to mention his recurring injury problems. Styles continues to look a year or 2 away. And who knows what we have with Nickel playing under 5 minutes per game this season?

Which is to say we need a small forward.

I don't think we need any back court guys, even if Caleb leaves. Dunn keeps improving. Maybe Trimble will turn the corner. We still have RJ. And I think Wilcher will be a star.

Some think we need a "real" PG, and shoud encourage Cadeau to reclassify. But I think RJ and Seth are OK - as long as we have good shooters at other positions. That said, if Cadeau wants to reclassify, who am I to argue?

If Armando leaves, we need a center. Washington might be that guy, but he has a long way to go. And even if he gets there by the next season, we have no backup. If Armando returns, we probably don't need a center.

Nance is leaving. I wouldn't count on Zaden High being ready to step in. And even if he could, it's unclear if we have a serviceable backup.

Which is to say we need a power forward.

Leaky is leaving. Puff will be a senior and hasn't yet shown he can be a starter. Not to mention his recurring injury problems. Styles continues to look a year or 2 away. And who knows what we have with Nickel playing under 5 minutes per game this season?

Which is to say we need a small forward.

I don't think we need any back court guys, even if Caleb leaves. Dunn keeps improving. Maybe Trimble will turn the corner. We still have RJ. And I think Wilcher will be a star.

Some think we need a "real" PG, and shoud encourage Cadeau to reclassify. But I think RJ and Seth are OK - as long as we have good shooters at other positions. That said, if Cadeau wants to reclassify, who am I to argue?
Power forward is a very flexible term. 2 real bigs like Roy did or maybe a stretch 4? Was Manek a true power forward for example?

Wish Hubert would give NIckel some more playing time to see if he can develop. He could be another Manek.

Reactions: Old_School59
Portal bigs are all this team needs! 1 who could potentially start and 1 to back up either but mostly the 5. The recruiting has been spot on and the team will soon have few holes!

I sort of hope Kadin Shedrick from Virginia wants to transfer. For reasons I don't understand - but I'm guessing are due to not fitting the scheme Bennett thought he needed to go with to to have his best team - his minutes have dropped off dramatically. At a glance, he was averaging in the low-to-mid 20s mpg-wise until the middle of January and not even in double-digits since.

Maybe his D isn't up to Bennett's standards? No problem for us, since we don't bother with D. Just kidding. The thought being that his D might be good enough in our system.

He's 6'11 231 with 2 years of eligibility left (including a covid year). He shoots well from 2 out to midrange, shoots well from the line, and doesn't shoot treys. He has a terrific TS% of 70.7. Could use more strength, but moves well.

I'm guessing he's a 12 and 8 guy, but could be better than that in a system that emphasizes bigs more.

I see that On3 lists the NIL "Value" for our incoming class (including transfers). I have no idea how they got their numbers or if they are accurate, but they are fairly interesting.

Ingram tops the list and, to my surprise, Ryan comes in last. Come on UNC boosters, let's show a little love to Ryan.

S169K - Ingram
$35K - Wilcher
$24K - Withers
$12.4K - Wojcik
$10.1K - High
$9.3K - Ryan

Last edited:
Yikes! The same site shows Duke's top freshman - likely Roach replacement Jarad McCain - with $590K in NIL Value. Already!

Is that why he picked Duke?

I wonder what Cadeau would bring in?

Last edited:
Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT