ADVERTISEMENT

NIT

UNC-75

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2008
Looks like the NIT is getting a number of snubs this year as we did last. Could this be the end of that tournament?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Pitt, Oklahoma, St. John's all turned down NIT bids. I wonder if they will get the same backlash the Heels got last year? Highly unlikely.
Someone had mentioned a good reason to decline last year. You know who’s coming back or leaving pretty soon and can get a jump on the portal. I hate it but it makes since. I know your best guys will wait on the best teams but that’s some pretty large programs.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
The basketball powers that are Mississippi and Penn State even did. Indiana and about a half dozen more also had no interest.

• Wow
Reactions: TarHeelMark
Pitt, Oklahoma, St. John's all turned down NIT bids. I wonder if they will get the same backlash the Heels got last year? Highly unlikely.
Thanks for that info. I was working up a head of steam thinking Pitt was cheated.

But why would they turn it down?

In our case last year, it made no sense util it became clear that Hubert was planning to decimate the existing squad and wanted to plunge into the portal ASAP. Personally, I felt cheated as a fan, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Unless Capel is looking at a bunch of his kids leaving, it doesn't look like the same scenario for them.

The NIT is just a big consolation tourment. The NCAA gave up on consolation games years ago.

Time to expand the NCAA tournament and put the NIT in the history books. The only folks who watch are students and alumni of the school playing and even then I don’t think they care much.

Reactions: superstar57
It's just a tournament where the winner can realistically claim, We're number 65!

Reactions: Heelicious
Until the transfer portal grew into the monster that it now is, the NIT was still a good way for up-and-coming teams and coaches to get that tournament experience at the end of the season. But now, with so many dudes transferring, it looks like turning down NIT bids will become as common as football players opting out of meaningless bowl games.

Last edited:
Depends on if the first games are round 1 or play in games. 🤪🤪

I know some here didn't like it but turning down the NIT was the correct move. It was simultaneously a message about the snub and about the reality we had NOTHING to benefit from it. That was a dysfunctional team (esp backcourt) that was about to be broken up, and the NIT would've just set us behind in the reconfiguration.

I know some here didn't like it but turning down the NIT was the correct move. It was simultaneously a message about the snub and about the reality we had NOTHING to benefit from it. That was a dysfunctional team (esp backcourt) that was about to be broken up, and the NIT would've just set us behind in the reconfiguration.
Oh for sure. I don't think many Heels fans were looking forward to last year's team continuing on, and most likely going one-and-done in the NIT. I know I wasn't.

Unsurprisingly, I wanted them to play more. I really felt that they might have figured it out and actually played to their potential in the NIT. In hindsight, everyone involved won so who can complain. I am always in favor of more Tar Heel games since I always feel like we will eventually get it going! Hubs proved he knew what he was doing and I bow to the obvious success he facilitated by blowing up the team. I see no benefit to teams like Pitt and St Johns snubbing the NIT. Their teams get a chance for more wins and to hang a banner. How many banners have they even sniffed in decades???? I think it was reactionary and a bit short sighted but I'll wait and see.

• Love
Thanks for that info. I was working up a head of steam thinking Pitt was cheated.

But why would they turn it down?

In our case last year, it made no sense util it became clear that Hubert was planning to decimate the existing squad and wanted to plunge into the portal ASAP. Personally, I felt cheated as a fan, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Unless Capel is looking at a bunch of his kids leaving, it doesn't look like the same scenario for them.
The transfer portal is open. That's why teams are turning down the NIT. They want to get a headstart on portal recruiting.

Seems like the common sense thing to do would be not open the portal until after NIT and NCAAT ends. That could actually benefit some dudes that show out in the NIT and then enter the portal.

But then again... common sense and the NCAA rarely go together.
Zactly. Except you can replace “rarely” with “never” IMO

Seems like the common sense thing to do would be not open the portal until after NIT and NCAAT ends. That could actually benefit some dudes that show out in the NIT and then enter the portal.

But then again... common sense and the NCAA rarely go together.
I think most agree with you. Having the portal open this early is stupid. Open it the day after the NCAA Championship game.

Unsurprisingly, I wanted them to play more. I really felt that they might have figured it out and actually played to their potential in the NIT. In hindsight, everyone involved won so who can complain. I am always in favor of more Tar Heel games since I always feel like we will eventually get it going! Hubs proved he knew what he was doing and I bow to the obvious success he facilitated by blowing up the team. I see no benefit to teams like Pitt and St Johns snubbing the NIT. Their teams get a chance for more wins and to hang a banner. How many banners have they even sniffed in decades???? I think it was reactionary and a bit short sighted but I'll wait and see.
I hafta say that I do agree on Pitt... with a young core in the backcourt, it could be a good building block and showcase for portal kids looking.

As for us last year, I totally get fans wanting to see our team play more, but I already knew that would have been beating a dead horse. Suffice to say there were no good vibes coming out of the program at that time, and although there were some guys I liked, the staff took the exact right course in crafting a rebuild... AND bonus, it brought us real PG a year ahead of time!...
:cool:

Excellent point.

I take the selfish fan view: I want to see my team play more games. But your point actually has merit for people who want to make a living in basketball, and it should carry even more weight.

I think in both football and basketball the portal should NOT be open until the last game of the college season is over. By then coaches know who is leaving and what moves they need to make. Players that announce immediately after their individual season but before the sports' season is complete should have to sit a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT