ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs N C State game thread for n Saturday 16 March 2024

I like it when he looks for his shot…Ryan and Ingram are cold and no else can shoot.
Even on a bad night, RJ gets 30…nothing like Caleb.
26 shots? 4/13 from 3
L.

RJ has benefited tremendously from playing off the ball and having a true PG to play with. All of these problems were present in last night’s win against a much better team.

Reactions: thompsjj
Why? Ingram didn’t show up but he shot a higher percentage from 3 than RJ for the game.
Then have Ingram shoot more shots. He can't create his own shots though. You are literally whining about the ACC PoY that carried us in how many games this year. He was the only thing even keeping us close this game.

Reactions: Heelicious
4-15 and 1-8 from 3 from. Ec Cormac and Seth is the problem.

We were down 8 against this team in DES and came back in second half. For the life of me I don’t understand how we didn’t get bacot more shots in the paint. He finished 6-10 bit that almost seemed like his half time stats.

If it takes EC on the court and it takes hubs saying no more shots on any possession without bacot getting a touch - so be it. Our inside offense just disappeared in second half but I don’t think that is bscots fault. Need to screen etc and have people who can pass him the ball.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Someone besides RJ and Mando needed to show up...Ryan sorta did but everyone else was a bystander Just a poor performance from most of the team...except the big 2. Perhaps this will light a collective fire Under the entire team...get more than a little pissed off afterthatpoor effort. Deserved to lose period

Maybe hubert should take em fishing Monday & invite ncsux to join them so they can show them how too , since they abused our guys tonight

Then have Ingram shoot more shots. He can't create his own shots though. You are literally whining about the ACC PoY that carried us in how many games this year. He was the only thing even keeping us close this game.
Agreed. But somehow bacot should’ve gotten about twice the shots he did. Think of all the good things to come from that. And not pressing this super tired and wound down team is inexcusable horrible game plan coaching

Reactions: JDisaheelfan
Someone besides RJ and Mando needed to show up...Ryan sorta did but everyone else was a bystander Just a poor performance from most of the team...except the big 2. Perhaps this will light a collective fire Under the entire team...get more than a little pissed off afterthatpoor effort. Deserved to lose period
Yes. Will be interesting to see the team demeanor when they get announced for a 1 seed tomorrow.

I expect no more than a golf clap. I expect they will be pissed off. All business. Massive chip on shoulder.

Is Iowa State now a threat to the #1 seed for the Heels? This was another Q2 loss for the Heels. IAST only has 1 Q2 loss; the Heels now have 4. IAST also has more Q1 wins now. They are only 1 of 5 teams that have 10+ Q1 wins. I'm asking this not knowing the trends of these stats in seed weighting.

Not meaningless but hopefully sparks a fire in our souls to play better next week. Hey, 3 #1s lost today. A disappointment tonight because we didn't play our game but perhaps gets us focused.
The worst thing about this game was we lost because we got beat by a better effort and desire. And hubcap coached a $hitty game. It's one thing to lose to a better team but it's another thing to get beat by a lesser team with superior effort. jmo

We had won 8 in a row before today including AT uva and AT Duke on senior night.

Stepping back- did we expect to win 15 in a row to end the season?

I think this is still a high character team and I know it sounds weird but I almost feel like they will be more focused going into the tourney than if they had won tonight. Nobody wants it to happen but reality is it happens sometimes.

A lot of really good teams lost or got blown out this weekend. Doesn’t make it right, but it happens. I just hope in the tourney we do more to run the offense inside out especially where bacot and Ingram and even withers should have and athletic advantage. And what would it take to get us to press more? I just for the life of me can’t understand that especially against shaky/ tired ball handlers.

Is Iowa State now a threat to the #1 seed for the Heels? This was another Q2 loss for the Heels. IAST only has 1 Q2 loss; the Heels now have 4. IAST also has more Q1 wins now. They are only 1 of 5 teams that have 10+ Q1 wins. I'm asking this not knowing the trends of these stats in seed weighting.
It's possible but would be a drastic jump up the s curve. Wait and see is all we can do.

he doesn’t have to create his own shots the offense does that…unless you don’t run an offense which is what we did way too often the last two seasons prior to this and reverted to the last two games

I don’t think so. Can’t put too much weight on this one game, against teams playing for their lives. I’d argue you can’t even have isu jump UT so how would they jump us?

By not pressing more tonight davis doesn’t win the boneheaded coaching decision of the tournament. that goes to Tony Bennett for not fouling moo last night with fouls to give and letting them shoot a three (prayer that was answered).

I don’t think so. Can’t put too much weight on this one game, against teams playing for their lives. I’d argue you can’t even have isu jump UT so how would they jump us?
Beating the #1 team the way they did may draw some attention. Their Q1+Q2 record is 16-7, same as UNC. Tennessee's is 13-8

Most teams will be playing for their lives in the tournament. Does that mean we will lose? We should've known how they were going to play tonight and we still didn't prepare. Poor coaching.. can't coach a bad shooting night but can coach when to press..

Most teams will be playing for their lives in the tournament. Does that mean we will lose? We should've known how they were going to play tonight and we still didn't prepare. Poor coaching.. can't coach a bad shooting night but can coach when to press..
I don’t get it. We are a little deeper than them, have played fewer games and fresher but don’t press until it’s too late. Almost seemed cocky to me. I know they wanted it and were prepares as could be, just not good in game management. Oh well on to the ncaa.

FWIW- Heels lost in ACC tourney last 4 times they won the NCAA title. Some really good teams. Ones way better and more dominant that this years heels. Think of the 2005 and 2009 teams.

It doesn’t excuse the poor coaching. But it’s also not end of the world. Especially if it pisses them off and focus’s them like the Syracuse loss did.

I don’t get it. We are a little deeper than them, have played fewer games and fresher but don’t press until it’s too late. Almost seemed cocky to me. I know they wanted it and were prepares as could be, just not good in game management. Oh well on to the ncaa.
Yes - great post. Why let nc state play at their pace? Why let them walk it up and save energy? It’s like having a big advantage and choosing to give it up, not use it. And Hubert has done this so many games this year. Ones where we’d have won (Syracuse ) or won easier if we pressed or trapped. I just don’t understand his aversion to pressing. Is it because they don’t press in the nba? That’s entirely different level / game. All mba players are great ball handlers and passers. Few are in college.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Good to lose a meaningless game…more things to improve as we prepare for the real tournament.
Playing for an ACC Championship is not meanless, tonight was embarrassing!

We was soft, lazy and played like we just needed to roll the ball out and win.

Yeah it's definitely not meaningless. A tournament championship along with our regular season championship would've been sweet and long awaited.

The NCAA tournament will be short lived if the supporting cast doesn’t step up consistently.
Well, fortunately in the NCAAT we are not likely to meet a team that we have to try to beat for the 3rd time in a row in the same season.

Well, fortunately in the NCAAT we are not likely to meet a team that we have to try to beat for the 3rd time in a row in the same season.
I’m not sure what that has to do with the supporting cast stepping up? The point remains regardless of whether we play Morehead State or NC State. Ryan, Ingram, Cadeau and others have to provide more offensively or we will get bounced quickly.

We showed up and expected to win without putting in the requisite effort. State hit alot of early shots, took an early large lead and we spent the entire first half getting level. They outplayed us in the second half and although adjustments were not made, our players simply didnt do enough and RJ defaulted to taking the team on his back which was too little too late.

I cant stand State fans (capitalized and highlighted just last evening with a negative interaction where my wife and I were approached by one of them) as they spend their waking hours obsessed about how inferior their basketball program is to ours the last 40+ years. I give congrats however to the kids on that team who worked their tails off to accomplish something very rarely done in a major conference.

I’m not sure what that has to do with the supporting cast stepping up? The point remains regardless of whether we play Morehead State or NC State. Ryan, Ingram, Cadeau and others have to provide more offensively or we will get bounced quickly.
So you do not recognize the difficulty of beating a team 3 times in the same season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT