ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina vs South Carolina

So, what does the past record have to do with today again???? Absolutely nothing!!!!! 11 point spread sec team against acc things getting a bit more even now, huh?

Bateman delivered. Lots of heroes. But unbelievable game by Surratt. He was around the ball. Even the miss tackle on the touchdown run, he was in the hole(just missed the tackle).

Strowbridge and Crawford were dominate late. Wolfolks last interception, a thing of beauty.

A few shoutouts:

Bateman had the guys prepared to play and mixed the coverages up well, guys were generally in the right position to make plays (too many missed tackles in the 1st half but that was corrected in the 2nd). We got good pressure on Bentley.

The backs ran very hard all day, announcers commented on that fact multiple times. We are blessed to have 3 very good backs to rotate so that we always have fresh legs in there. The OL blocked well against a stout DL.

The DB’s took their best receiver out of the game and came up with 2 TO’s, rare as hens’ teeth the past two seasons.

Pretty solid play by the LB’s, better than I anticipated, (Chazz is going to be a good one).

Sam was incredibly poised for a true freshman. Incredibly poised.

It’s great to get a big win even while we have a lot to work on in all three phases of the game...four if you count the coaching.

Great win but that last second strategy by Mack had me very worried BIG victory GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t think that’s on Mack. I’m pretty sure Sam wasn’t supposed to snap the ball. I’d bet they wanted him to take the delay of game then punt on fourth down

Bateman delivered. Lots of heroes. But unbelievable game by Surratt. He was around the ball. Even the miss tackle on the touchdown run, he was in the hole(just missed the tackle).

Strowbridge and Crawford were dominate late. Wolfolks last interception, a thing of beauty.
Each game, Surratt is going to pick up more about playing LB. By mid-season, he could be real handful for everybody.

Funny thing is, if the first half playcalling wasn’t so conservative in the red zone it could have been a blowout

Reactions: tarheel0910
Funny thing is, if the first half playcalling wasn’t so conservative in the red zone it could have been a blowout
True, but in hindsight Mack & Co. handled it the right way by letting Sam get settled in before taking off the handcuffs in the 2nd half. If my math is correct... after SC went up 20-9, Sam was 8-10 for 156 yards. Of the 8 completions, 2 were for TDs and 5 were first downs. The 2 incomplete passes were: a well thrown ball that was dropped (for a potential first down), and the other was a tough, but catch-able ball that was right at the sticks on 3rd & 5.

In fact, they let him throw three times on 3rd down during that stretch. That 18 yard completion on 3rd & 20 didn't result in a first down, but it gave the punter some breathing room with a few minutes to go (too bad the return team sucked so bad yesterday). That pass had some zip on it - VERY NICE TO SEE THAT FROM A UNC QB - even the announcers were calling it an NFL-caliber throw.

ETA: one of those 8 completions was recorded as a 10 yard run by Javonte, since it was a backward pass. I'm still counting it, since Sam had to make the throw to him.

Last edited:
...after SC went up 20-9, Sam was 8-10 for 156 yards. Of the 8 completions, 2 were for TDs and 5 were first downs.
TDs are statistically scored as first downs, which makes those numbers even more remarkable.

I haven't combed through all the stories and threads to know if somebody has already mentioned it, but the coaches really eased Howell into the game. Maybe too much. UNC had 52 rush attempts versus only 24 pass attempts. And many of those passes came after we fell behind 20-9 and needed to start throwing it. We ran the ball well, which obviously helped take pressure off the freshman. Just couldn't get it in the end zone. It would've been a very different game if one or maybe two of those FGs had been TDs instead.

@2k15

Look dumbass, you can't come in here guns blazing saying your team is loaded with NFL talent (it's not) acting like you're just a hair behind bama and clemson talent wise then get pissy when no one wants to respond to your nonsense. But if you want a legit answer here we go:

Your defense was bad last year, especially against the run. The DL looks good on paper but isn't elite, and your back 7 isn't anything special. We have a talented but inexperienced OL, 3 really good RBs and our QB will have some wheels depending on who plays. If we can run successfully (likely) then we'll move the ball between the 20s. The question will be whether we can score TDs in the redzone.

On the other side like I said, Bently is Jekyl and Hyde. If he's a little bit off and throws a couple picks you guys will be in trouble. Your skill positions don't stand out, although no one expects us to stuff the run. We have decent pass rushers though and should fare well in obvious passing situations.

The guys in Vegas are infinitely smarter than you, and they see it as a one possession game. No one would argue that SCar is the better team on paper, but you sound like an idiot acting like SCar is on an entirely different level. You have better depth but these teams aren't all that far apart.

Oh and I forgot to mention that our OC put up 600+ yards and 41 points on you last year.
This poast aged well, especially the "Look dumbass" intro.

USC will smother your offense and cause a lot of 3 and outs for the young QB and will make it difficult to overcome late in the game. Jaycee Horn is one of the most lock down corners in America, and their DL is as deep as anyones in the SEC East this season. The Gamecock passing game will be fresh and should have a hay day against the make-shift Tar Heel defense. Guys like Shi Smith, Bryan Edwards, Ortre Smith, Mon Denson and Tavian Feaster are match up nightmares for UNC. By talent this game shouldn't be close, but sometimes Will Muschamp's teams do not do what they should against inferior opponents. I pick the Gamecocks in this one though vs a young and hungry Tar Heel squad by a score of 45-13.

Well now........

So we don’t have a snowballs chance in he**.......

Reactions: uncboy10
Alright, I've had enough of this. I've tried to be nice and just have a discussion for days now and you all just respond like a bunch of assholes. I look forward to beating the shit out of you guys on the 31st. Have fun here pretending that you're hot shit. Prepare to get whipped.

And another one.....

Man that whipping was unbearable

Reactions: uncboy10
7 pt underdog seems about right honestly. We return a veteran bunch on both sides of the ball. Jake Bentley is an enigma-we simply don’t know which Bentley will show up. Just to clear some things up for some folks regarding the Gamecock football team:

1) Our biggest question mark on offense is at RB. We haven’t had a RB that has been able to stay healthy or break tackles. We lost Williams and Turner has moved to DB. That leaves us with Dowdle and Denson as the experienced backs and of course Feaster.

2) A lot of fans (opposing and our own) will point at the UVA as a reason why the Gamecocks aren’t very good. Our roster has been completely decimated by injuries by that time. It’s not a good game for anyone to look at and say “this is the team that we are playing.”

3) If there is a weakness on defense, it is at LB and DB for different reasons. Our LBs were bad last year and we had no depth. The question will be is the experience from last season going to help that position get better. Also, can they stop the run? At DB, there is a TON of talent on paper. We have Jaycee Horn who was an All-SEC freshman at CB and on the other side Israel Mukuamu who is 6’5. Bryan Edwards and Bentley said those two guys are nightmares to have to go against in practice. Jamyest Williams and JT Ibe are healthy which will provide valuable experience. The depth is questionable with the youth however. An injury or 2 could cost us some games.

I’m excited about football, and I’m one of the rare Gamecock fans that is more excited about basketball every year (which is typically brutal). I think this game will be closer than most think. Hope y’all have a fantastic day!

Fantastic day I say we did

It’s been entertaining reading all these posts, such hate. I wandered why, y’all lead the series 34–19–4. I kinda like it’s just the first game and lets just play. Then I realized y’all are one of the few teams we pretty much own. Since 1967 were 12-7, and we haven’t lost to y’all since 1991. Thank you we don’t own to many teams. But safe trip and hope no injuries.

Just smh....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT