ADVERTISEMENT

OK, Bubba

We could probably get him for around the same amount Fed is making and Kiffin's buyout isn't that big. I think it's somewhere around $1.5 million.
If that pattern of taking a pay cut to be HC holds, he will take less than top dollar to be UNC HC, to get another shot as a P5 HC, to build up a program his way, to prove he can build and not just maintain a winner built by somebody else.

Kiffin clearly loved all the history of SC, and all the wild Vols fans, and with Bama he got both. But there also is a part of him that sees himself as a permanent underdog, fighting to prove worth. That part of him needs to be at a place like UNC, rather than at a Florida or Texas or Michigan or SC or Tennessee, or even Miami.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
64lCi1a.gif
Wait - does this mean you want Flounder or Otter or Neidermyer as HC?

I don't remember exactly what happened. I just seem to remember something happening at both schools. Maybe the UT issue was him leaving so quickly, just can't remember. We have to be sure that if we bring in a new coach he will not get us in any NCAA trouble. We're in no position to have any NCAA issues again any time soon. Somebody will know for sure.

End of the day I have zero faith in UNC getting this right...

IMO it’s 1 man and that man is Bob Stoops...Other than him I say bring Butch back and put Thig in charge of recruiting...Another pipe dream...UNC football my heartbreak all the time....

End of the day I have zero faith in UNC getting this right...

IMO it’s 1 man and that man is Bob Stoops...Other than him I say bring Butch back and put Thig in charge of recruiting...Another pipe dream...UNC football my heartbreak all the time....
Whoever is the new HC, his naming Thig Recruiting Coordinator makes a lot of sense.

Stoops also is my dream choice. I just hope he is ready to get back in the game for one more run, this one to prove that he can make a huge winner of a program that has never done it. That's the only way
Stoops will go down in history as in the same class as Saban and Meyer.

I don't remember exactly what happened. I just seem to remember something happening at both schools. Maybe the UT issue was him leaving so quickly, just can't remember. We have to be sure that if we bring in a new coach he will not get us in any NCAA trouble. We're in no position to have any NCAA issues again any time soon. Somebody will know for sure.
SC offered him. He'd been OC there under Carroll, and it was widely known he loved the SC program.

Hear me out for a minute...What about Bud Foster...
If Beamer were still there, meaning Foster had not been passed over by VT, I'd say we'd be fools not to take a very close look. But if VT passed on him, it must mean that Beamer and others feel he is one of those coaches who is a great coordinator but will make a poor or low average HC.

since we’re swinging for fences here, i’d kick the tires on gary patterson.
Like Venables, he is a K-St grad. The difference is that he did not piss off K-St boosters; they pissed him off for not wanting him when Snyder retired the first time. But now that TCU is in a Power conference once again, I think Patterson will retire from TCU. He clearly likes living there, and TX is full of talent. And TCU boosters worship the ground he walks on.

He's making $5.1 mil a year, doubt we'd ever pony up that amount, even if we didn't have to buy Fed out. I love Chris Petersen too, but he's making $4.375 mil a year too.

Here's an interesting list(look who's at #3).

https://www.si.com/college-football...usel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires
Satterfield is not just an NC native who's getting rave reviews for what he's done at App. He is an Orange County native. He was a star QB at Orange High who then was a star QB for App St.

He's making $5.1 mil a year, doubt we'd ever pony up that amount, even if we didn't have to buy Fed out. I love Chris Petersen too, but he's making $4.375 mil a year too.

Here's an interesting list(look who's at #3).

https://www.si.com/college-football...usel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires
Satterfield is right in the typical UNC football wheelhouse. And if we hired him, we might get lightning. Who knows. But I must say I was impressed with how ballsy that dude played it at PSU. He even said they were likely going for 2 in OT had they scored, rather than just kick the PAT and head to another OT.

Reactions: Archer2
You guys need to look at Satterfield's resume. He should be at best our forth or fifth option. Fedora's pre UNC resume looks like Saban's resume compared to him. I refuse to believe we can't get anyone with decent P5 experience. Satterfield hasn't even worked at a P5 school as a position coach. He's someone duke would hire pre Cutcliffe.

1998 Appalachian State (WR)
1999–2002 Appalachian State (RB)
2003–2008 Appalachian State (QB)
2009 Toledo (QB)
2010–2011 FIU (OC)
2012 Appalachian State (OC)
2013–present Appalachian State (HC)

Satterfield is right in the typical UNC football wheelhouse. And if we hired him, we might get lightning. Who knows. But I must say I was impressed with how ballsy that dude played it at PSU. He even said they were likely going for 2 in OT had they scored, rather than just kick the PAT and head to another OT.
I agree. I like what he has done. He is a Jerry Moore protege - THE Jerry Moore protege. Moore taught old school team football - no flash, just players expected to work as a team.

You guys need to look at Satterfield's resume. He should be at best our forth or fifth option. Fedora's pre UNC resume looks like Saban's resume compared to him. I refuse to believe we can't get anyone with decent P5 experience. Satterfield hasn't even worked at a P5 school as a position coach. He's someone duke would hire pre Cutcliffe.
What I think is really interesting about him is that he has led Appp from 1AA to 1A, and done so as well as could be expected. That is like rebuilding, because it is about forcing the entire program, to step up.

Would I take him over Lane Kiffin now? Nope. But I would take him over Seth Littrell, whom I also think is developing into potentially a very good HC.

What I do not know about him is if he grew and/or is now favorable to the Tar Heels. If he would love to have the UNC job and, more than willing just to leave his alma mater is willing to campaign to coach the Carolina Blue, that matters.

What I think is really interesting about him is that he has led Appp from 1AA to 1A, and done so as well as could be expected. That is like rebuilding, because it is about forcing the entire program, to step up.
The fact that part of his coaching experience comes on the 1AA level makes it worse, not better. I don't see how he could bring in a solid staff either and he would need that given his P5 inexperience. And another big thing we need is someone who will bring some life to the fan base when he's hired. He won't do that.

Football is football regardless of levels. I find it assuming that people are talking about D1 experience, blah, blah, blah. We paid to get Butch and only got 8 win seasons. We are paying Fed and we see the results. At some point you forget flash and look at a coach that knows how to coach. Satterfield and Mike Houston of JMU have done nothing but win. They take the talent they have and challenge teams D1 programs have trouble challenging. Throw in the fact that Satterfield have a much stronger relationship with NC High School coaches than our current staff and I really don't see the downside. Clemson took a chance on a young coach and see what they got. Enough of the big splash hire. Go get the young hungry coach that wants to prove something. Both Satterfield and Houston would turn this program into what it should be.

Football is football regardless of levels. I find it assuming that people are talking about D1 experience, blah, blah, blah. We paid to get Butch and only got 8 win seasons. We are paying Fed and we see the results. At some point you forget flash and look at a coach that knows how to coach. Satterfield and Mike Houston of JMU have done nothing but win. They take the talent they have and challenge teams D1 programs have trouble challenging. Throw in the fact that Satterfield have a much stronger relationship with NC High School coaches than our current staff and I really don't see the downside. Clemson took a chance on a young coach and see what they got. Enough of the big splash hire. Go get the young hungry coach that wants to prove something. Both Satterfield and Houston would turn this program into what it should be.
There's just so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

I’d contact Moorhead, currently the PSU OC. He has head coaching experience too. See list above. Our program is ripe for someone to come in and take it to the next level and make this program theirs by building something out of ashes.

I’d contact Moorhead, currently the PSU OC. He has head coaching experience too. See list above. Our program is ripe for someone to come in and take it to the next level and make this program theirs by building something out of ashes.
Hey Arch, he already got scooped up by Mississippi State. And they are 2-0 and ranked 16th now. Looks like they made a good hire. I sure hope Bubba can in a few months.

Hey Arch, he already got scooped up by Mississippi State. And they are 2-0 and ranked 16th now. Looks like they made a good hire. I sure hope Bubba can in a few months.
Last year when I was noting possible new HC s for us, he was the P5 OC I named.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Satterfield is not just an NC native who's getting rave reviews for what he's done at App. He is an Orange County native. He was a star QB at Orange High who then was a star QB for App St.

He has also been recruiting North Carolina for quite some time. Satterfield would not only equal, but exceed our current recruiting efforts within the State. Recruiting has been one of the biggest problems we have seen with Fedora's tenure.

Fed's recruiting actually hasn't been bad until this class. We've averaged near a top 25 class, which is good considering everything. Our bigger problem is that our end of year ranking is generally worse than our recruiting class ranking. So we're not making the most of what we're getting. Of course recruiting class rankings don't really take into account positions of need

Fed's recruiting actually hasn't been bad until this class. We've averaged near a top 25 class, which is good considering everything. Our bigger problem is that our end of year ranking is generally worse than our recruiting class ranking. So we're not making the most of what we're getting. Of course recruiting class rankings don't really take into account positions of need
Yeah, it’s actually better than I thought. According to 247, the last six classes avg 28 nationally; 4.7 in ACC. For 2019, we look way worse though (59; 13). Not sure if there are any more that can still be signed which might improve those numbers.

Last edited:
Fed was a decent recruiter, have to acknowledge that. But he's failed miserably to make the most of the talent he's had at his disposal. He's also done a terrible job of developing talent, QB's and RB's in particular. Just look at this year. Any one with a modicum of football knowledge would recognize that our starting QB has limitations which are very obvious, yet Fed doesn't seem to be willing to give our more talented, albeit younger, QB's a chance.

although getting fired in raleigh was probably the best thing that could happen to daddy, lane may hold a special hatred for NCStUpid.

although getting fired in raleigh was probably the best thing that could happen to daddy, lane may hold a special hatred for NCStUpid.
Are you old enough to have seen Danny Ford go after Papa Kiffin after the Clemson-Moo game in '82? Fun times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT