ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Just got home let’s check on the game…
Awkward Fuck My Life GIF

Had to go to a birthday party this afternoon, with about a dozen Clemson disciples... as soon as I walk in "What the hell happened to carolina?"

It's not easy sometimes.

Reactions: gteeitup
Had to go to a birthday party this afternoon, with about a dozen Clemson disciples... as soon as I walk in "What the hell happened to carolina?"

It's not easy sometimes.
My niece, who is a Clemson grad/sorority girl basically did the same when we had contact yesterday evening. My response was that GA exposed them and even if they make it into the CFP, they'll be embarrassed again once there. At least Carolina wasn't pretending to be a national power at this point, so what did she really have to look forward to? And then I reminded her that basketball starts soon. She suddenly changed topics.

My niece, who is a Clemson grad/sorority girl basically did the same when we had contact yesterday evening. My response was that GA exposed them and even if they make it into the CFP, they'll be embarrassed again once there. At least Carolina wasn't pretending to be a national power at this point, so what did she really have to look forward to? And then I reminded her that basketball starts soon. She suddenly changed topics.
I'd love to get embarrassed in the CFP because that means an ACC championship and/or a top 12 ranking.

I'd love to get embarrassed in the CFP because that means an ACC championship and/or a top 12 ranking.
except with us it would be opening the door to 'see, I told you they were just a basketball school' and 'see, I told you the ACC sucked butt', and 'see, I told you that the automatic playoff invite to conference champs is BS.'

But why do you mention this, are you thinking we might have a chance?

giphy.webp

I was going to start a thread on the BH board, but I'll start here, instead. I'll begin by asking @tarheel0910 ...

Is the University of North Carolina... ummm... how do I say this... is it lacking in donor money Can it generate the same amount as Miami, or FSU, or even Clemson? Does it have the sources for the revenue to basically BUY a winning football program? If it doesn't, then that's all I need to know. I appreciate anyone--- anyone who really knows--- offering insight.

I heard someone say that the higher-ups at UNC saw (or see) college football as an "evil." And, so, they have never wanted to really have a perennial powerhouse program- like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Alabama. If that is true... who are these people and how did they ever reach that conclusion?

except with us it would be opening the door to 'see, I told you they were just a basketball school' and 'see, I told you the ACC sucked butt', and 'see, I told you that the automatic playoff invite to conference champs is BS.'

But why do you mention this, are you thinking we might have a chance?

giphy.webp
Well, they are already saying we are a basketball school and the ACC sucks. I have no problem with people saying the automatic invite was a bad idea and using ACC conference champ UNC as an example.

Is the University of North Carolina... ummm... how do I say this... is it lacking in donor money Can it generate the same amount as Miami, or FSU, or even Clemson? Does it have the sources for the revenue to basically BUY a winning football program? If it doesn't, then that's all I need to know. I appreciate anyone--- anyone who really knows--- offering insight.
I honestly don't know the NIL situation for those schools, but my guess would be no for football. For other sports, maybe, but no one cares about the other sports. That's just one part of the equation, though. The other part is being willing to spend what you have. Hubert would fit into the not willing category. Based on Mack's use of the portal, my guess is he would use it if he had it. But why would anyone want to give money to the football team? Especially after yesterday.

I heard someone say that the higher-ups at UNC saw (or see) college football as an "evil." And, so, they have never wanted to really have a perennial powerhouse program- like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Alabama. If that is true... who are these people and how did they ever reach that conclusion?
There's no like minded higher-ups that have gotten together as a brain trust to hold football down. Some hardcore football fans (woad) are looking for a scapegoat and conspiracy. Basketball is king at UNC because it's a blue blood and people pay attention to that. But football has gotten more money than any other sport.

Reactions: strummingram
I honestly don't know the NIL situation for those schools, but my guess would be no for football. For other sports, maybe, but no one cares about the other sports. That's just one part of the equation, though. The other part is being willing to spend what you have. Hubert would fit into the not willing category. Based on Mack's use of the portal, my guess is he would use it if he had it. But why would anyone want to give money to the football team? Especially after yesterday.

There's no like minded higher-ups that have gotten together as a brain trust to hold football down. Some hardcore football fans (woad) are looking for a scapegoat and conspiracy. Basketball is king at UNC because it's a blue blood and people pay attention to that. But football has gotten more money than any other sport.
If the $$$ isn't there, then I get it.

College sports are just like pro sports, now... from what I can tell. I realize UNC isn't a football franchise business like the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers exist to support a football team franchise/business model.

I guess, at this point in college sports evolution, you roll with what you have. If a school isn't known for domination in a sport by now, they likely never will. Any success at a formerly-lackluster place would simply result in the established powerhouse offering them more money and off they go... sorta like Mack Brown in 1997.

Had a race yesterday so just got home and am watching it now. Halfway through the 2nd quarter and this is just brutal.

Mack needs to step down. And if he won’t do it on his own then Bubba needs to step up.

With the way recruiting nose dived, next year’s roster will be less talented than this one. There isn’t some highly touted young QB recruit waiting in the wings. The two biggest offensive weapons on the roster will be gone. The schedule isn’t likely to be this easy either. Could be looking at 3-4 wins next year.

I’d love for someone to explain to me how this program could possibly be heading in the right direction. It’s bad and all signs point to it getting worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT