ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Seems reasonable. Liberals are going to hate Trump for this.

I don't think the liberals would be the ones who will be the most upset. The pro life people who wanted Roe overturned will be more vocal. It would be interesting to see the logic for them, though. The biggest reason they used to want Roe overturned is because there was no constitutional amendment. Are they going to all of a sudden switch gears since that argument wouldn't apply? It's all theoretical, though. That type of thing would never be ratified.

Reactions: blazers

This is a super smart (election wise) position to take and I have been saying for months and months now that the R's needed to do exactly this. Even gave @blazers credit that R's were losing mid-terms and special elections on this point. This would completely take the wind out of their sails.

Regarding "Liberals are going to hate Trump for this"? I think that's a given, hate is hate, and libs' position remains consistent, haha. I think the better question is whether it impacts the super conservative evangelicals and looses numbers from them.

As a footnote, I have a hard time with the rape/incest exception that so many want to sit the fence on. Philosophically speaking, a life is a life is a life. At whatever point one can decide that a clump of cells has become a life, it doesn't matter that it was created in a happy, planned, and traditional church sanctioned marriage or was the result of one of the most vile and degusting acts imaginable. Politically I get it. But, the life, whenever it is a life, is still a life regardless of the intent behind its creation.

LOL at this is going to cause libs to hate Trump, but I get the idea.

I had dinner with a liberal friend the other evening and I pointed out the sliminess of Dem campaign tactics. An ad that has played a lot states that 'Trump will work to ban abortion', and that a woman 'could be punished for indulging in 'reproductive healthcare' ',both blatant lies, of course. 'Reproductive healthcare' does not equate to abortion in the vast majority of cases, but of course they can't say that...they have to make it sound like some innocent act of maintaining one's health is considered evil by the right. And I guess at this point they can say anything they want to about Trump, because who's going to stop them?

Reactions: pooponduke
As a footnote, I have a hard time with the rape/incest exception that so many want to sit the fence on. Philosophically speaking, a life is a life is a life. At whatever point one can decide that a clump of cells has become a life, it doesn't matter that it was created in a happy, planned, and traditional church sanctioned marriage or was the result of one of the most vile and degusting acts imaginable. Politically I get it. But, the life, whenever it is a life, is still a life regardless of the intent behind its creation.
largely the way I feel, but not quite completely. The funny thing about drawing lines is that one can easily tell which side of a line he is on, but has the devil to pay deciding exactly where that line should be drawn. I argued with the lady I referred to in my reply to slinger that you can argue all day about what constitutes a 'baby', but once that egg has been fertilized, it is INarguably human life...and as such defies any attempt at drawing some unquestionably justifiable line regarding its cessation. But I do make allowances (for my own sake) that in cases of rape or incest or health, the mother might reasonably, but regrettably, decide to terminate.

And I do not claim to have any answer myself about any compromise beyond that, since the situation does involve the mother; but I rather defer to the lawmakers who supposedly represent our collective wishes. In other words it it isn't for me to say, but it is for US to say.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
Birth control available online without a scrip for $20/mo. Good news for the godless sluts that can’t keep their legs closed but don’t want to murder babies.

Side note: if you know a godless slut that can’t keep her legs closed I’m available for……counseling. Yea yea thats it….
“Counseling”.

Susanne Bartsch On Top Dance GIF by 1091

Reactions: bluetoe
Birth control available online without a scrip for $20/mo. Good news for the godless sluts that can’t keep their legs closed but don’t want to murder babies.

Side note: if you know a godless slut that can’t keep her legs closed I’m available for……counseling. Yea yea thats it….
“Counseling”.

Susanne Bartsch On Top Dance GIF by 1091
So we can stop with the argument of birth control not being widely available, right? Or will people on the left say that it's too expensive because you have to pay for Internet to get it?

This is a super smart (election wise) position to take and I have been saying for months and months now that the R's needed to do exactly this. Even gave @blazers credit that R's were losing mid-terms and special elections on this point. This would completely take the wind out of their sails.

Regarding "Liberals are going to hate Trump for this"? I think that's a given, hate is hate, and libs' position remains consistent, haha. I think the better question is whether it impacts the super conservative evangelicals and looses numbers from them.

Smart, but too little too late. There are probably 5 Americans who haven't already made up their mind.

Smart, but too little too late. There are probably 5 Americans who haven't already made up their mind.
If that it true, why Joe's sudden interest in border security? And why the begging for a ceasefire? Everyone has their mind made up, so the President's change in stance and policy would be for what reasons?

If that it true, why Joe's sudden interest in border security? And why the begging for a ceasefire? Everyone has their mind made up, so the President's change in stance and policy would be for what reasons?
To be fair, Biden doesn't no where he's been or what he's for or against.

Why did it take THREE yrs to get the arrest warrant on this traitor?

edit, never mind, it wasn't til Dec 2023 that they finally id'd her. It is taking forever for these roaches to be exposed.
a hate crime, she obviously hated that table. And her punishment should be doubled because subsequent shit happened with it.

Irony. Guatemalans by the thousands lining up to get in to this country and this country is acting more like Guatemala than Guatemala is. It's sickening and disheartening to see what should be a sacrosanct system of justice abused to act out personal feelings and gain political advantage by punishing political opponents.
Everyone has to post bond. If anything this is showing that America treats everyone the same, including politicians. Or maybe you were referring to the actual case?

his entire campaign, including the obvious politically motivated actions, smacks of desperation.

Everyone has to post bond. If anything this is showing that America treats everyone the same, including politicians. Or maybe you were referring to the actual case?

the fact that a bond was required wasn't my gripe in particular, but the way it is going to be pursued is. It's really the whole fiasco of him even having to deal with any of this shit. They are simply out to get him in several places, NY being one of them.

I have little info regarding the particulars of the fraud case, but I don't see how it's reasonable to require that he pony up even before his appeal. I doubt it has to be that way, and I don't think it's justified. I don't think the motivation here has much to do with justice.

the fact that a bond was required wasn't my gripe in particular, but the way it is going to be pursued is. It's really the whole fiasco of him even having to deal with any of this shit. They are simply out to get him in several places, NY being one of them.

I have little info regarding the particulars of the fraud case, but I don't see how it's reasonable to require that he pony up even before his appeal. I doubt it has to be that way, and I don't think it's justified. I don't think the motivation here has much to do with justice.
Per NY law, if you want to appeal you have to post bond. Doesn't matter if the judgement is $1 or $10 billion.

Well, it certainly smacks of polls and focus groups as opposed to principle and conviction.
he seems to be talking less about what he will do for us, and more about what Trump will do TO us. If he (his campaign) was confident, they'd be laying low like they did the first time.

Per NY law, if you want to appeal you have to post bond. Doesn't matter if the judgement is $1 or $10 billion.
it does to me. However I'll concede, you win the legal portion of the discussion.

But then to begin with, the amount he was fined is ridiculous. 1) I doubt it was proven he overvalued his assets (purposely or otherwise) and 2) even if he did, there is no reason that I can see for him to be smacked so outrageously for a victimless situation.

Another L for @blazers. You honestly would have been better off saying that the 5th circuit is right wing. At least that way you could have at least made somewhat of an argument.

Get it right! It's a maga conservative 6-3 majority because the NYT and WaPo said so. It's the only way the overturn of Roe can possibly be explained - except, of course, by actually reading the constitution. The truth here is it's bit like the old Nascar saying of "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." In this case, they expect the Court to be activist and anything short of that is to be attacked and packed. Their honest take would be "if you ain't making up law supporting liberal causes, you're super conservative."

I strongly disagree. My wife and I spent the week leading up to the UNC-Cal game in 2018 in San Francisco. The only area we saw in the city that was sketchy was the Tenderloin. Otherwise, we found it a clean and beautiful city.
Still strongly disagreeing? SF doesn't even want to be in SF anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
Another L for @blazers. You honestly would have been better off saying that the 5th circuit is right wing. At least that way you could have at least made somewhat of an argument.

5th circuit does seem to have some partisan leaning to the right.... Of course there are still 2 or 3 SCOTUS who might out-do them.

it does to me. However I'll concede, you win the legal portion of the discussion.

But then to begin with, the amount he was fined is ridiculous. 1) I doubt it was proven he overvalued his assets (purposely or otherwise) and 2) even if he did, there is no reason that I can see for him to be smacked so outrageously for a victimless situation.
He def lied about value of his assets but numerous experts have claimed it’s common practice to do so and like you said it’s victimless as he paid the loans back. And I agree it’s crazy to have to post the amount of the fine in order to appeal. Not that I feel sorry for him, I don’t, but I admit this whole thing is a shit show and should never have happened.

He def lied about value of his assets but numerous experts have claimed it’s common practice to do so and like you said it’s victimless as he paid the loans back. And I agree it’s crazy to have to post the amount of the fine in order to appeal. Not that I feel sorry for him, I don’t, but I admit this whole thing is a shit show and should never have happened.
It is not victimless, the banks loan people or corps. money with an interest rate that is based on the value of the collateral. The victim is the lender if that collateral is over valued they lose money.

It is not victimless, the banks loan people or corps. money with an interest rate that is based on the value of the collateral. The victim is the lender if that collateral is over valued they lose money.

The lenders do their own assessments. The owners of the collateral do theirs. Then there is negotiations where they typically meet in the middle. This is how business is done. Furthermore, the banks have said they would do business with Trump again. Because they made money off of him. They're not offended. Why should you be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT