ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

This great liberal makes Marjorie Taylor Green look like Einstein.
holy crap, that almost makes me a little proud of MTG.

How does she not know the moon is made of green cheese.

From her official site; "She was named by 'Congressional Quarterly' as one of the 50 most effective Members of Congress. The 'U.S. News and World Report named her as one of the ten most influential legislators in the U.S. House of Representatives. She is a founder, member, and Chair of the Congressional Pakistan Caucus and the Congressional Children's Caucus. She is also chair of the Congressional Black Caucus Energy Braintrust, Co-Chair of the Justice Reform Task Force. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee earned a B.A. in Political Science from Yale University with honors in the first graduating class, including females, followed by a J.D. from the University of Virginia Law School."

GTFO.

Want to hear something scary and telling? She is on the budget committee. But thankfully, she is no longer on the science and space committee.

The dem congressman who asserted in a hearing that he was worried that the island of Guam might tip over if all the inhabitants moved to one side might be holding her beer.

Hey, @blazers, @prlyles, @Heels Noir, @strummingram Joe Wants You!
@nctransplant 's living situation:

LmgKC5pk5TRYSGdRvG.webp

Great read, especially for those of our posters who think NPR is an actual news outlet v. a political advocate. This guy was an editor and there for 25 years. He even maintains there was a time when they were actually neutral, then came the bad man orange and they apparently lost their collective minds.

good read. I think lots of new orgs are struggling financially which leads to identity questions, focus, turmoil. And trying to keep up with the ubiquitous, instantaneous world of social media of course is a huge part of the difficulties they're facing the past decade. And it is unsurprising that news orgs have had difficulty knowing how to report on so many sensitive issues in the highly polarized climate that has surfaced since the late teens.

As an aside there is an interesting thing in some places where journos felt the pendulum swung too far to the left, so now they're trying a "bosides" approach which also doesn't seem right at times. Example: Trump is extreme, he says and does extreme things from a historical or traditional standpoint. Biden is more brash than many presidents, is not extreme (extreme age aside)... but there are journos who are trying to take an even approach to covering, which doesn't make sense in the big picture.

Regarding "actual news outlet v. a political advocate" you can be a source of quality, reputable ,non-opinion news despite having a bias in one direction or another. NPR has been labeled liberal by allsides and the other "raters" for a long time. Just as WSJ, Deseret news are right-leaning bias but still really good there can be solid left-leaners too.

Last edited:
When wacky Whoopie is trying to rein the insanity in, you know all four wheels have fallen off

no kidding...no better point can be made there. That gaggle of gooneys starts with the insanity even before they start talking over each other with their shrill mindlessness, and Whoopie usually leads off. When you see her with such a bewildered look, just turn the sound off or better yet, change channels to The Three Stooges to regain a measure of reason.

That that show has an actual audience tells you all you need to know about the shape we're in.

Reactions: Archer2
"Russian propoganda has made its way into the United States, unfortunately, and it’s infected a good chunk of my party’s base.” That acknowledgement from Michael McCaul, Republican congressman from Texas, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee

“Oh it's absolutely true. We see, directly coming from Russia, attempts to mask communications that are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia messages, some of which we even hear being uttered on the House floor,” said Mike Turner, Republican congressman from Ohio, chairperson of the US House intelligence committee regarding McCaul's statement.

MAGA is the party Putin and Orban.

• Haha
Reactions: gunslingerdick
Regarding "actual news outlet v. a political advocate" you can be a source of quality, reputable ,non-opinion news despite having a bias in one direction or another. NPR has been labeled liberal by allsides and the other "raters" for a long time. Just as WSJ, Deseret news are right-leaning bias but still really good there can be solid left-leaners too.
This is a huge issue though. When being honest as above, you would fully admit that NPR is a very left leaning outlet who has no interest in being neutral or specifically "fair" to Hitler 2.0. For people who use them as their news source, it creates a vast slant to what they hear and therefore believe, espouse, and vote. It must be balanced or countered with something else to allow one to make their own assessment. Our group here is news obsessed and more likely to be exposed to multiple sources/outlets. I simply don't believe that of the average NPR listener.

More importantly on the point of their bias, they are publicly funded. We pay for them to exist versus everyone else like the WSJ who has to make a profit or close their doors. Being so far off the deep left end fails to meet their alleged mission in every respect. This is tantamount to state funded disinformation. There is no justification for one more penny going to them while this state of imbalance exists.

I literally saw last night that their editorial board is made up of the following ratio of how they are registered:

Democrats - 87
Republicans - 0

How can they even pretend to present the "news"?

"Russian propoganda has made its way into the United States, unfortunately, and it’s infected a good chunk of my party’s base.” That acknowledgement from Michael McCaul, Republican congressman from Texas, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee

“Oh it's absolutely true. We see, directly coming from Russia, attempts to mask communications that are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia messages, some of which we even hear being uttered on the House floor,” said Mike Turner, Republican congressman from Ohio, chairperson of the US House intelligence committee regarding McCaul's statement.

MAGA is the party Putin and Orban.
this is sheer stupidity and foul liberal deviousness. Republicans are for spending less not more, and for taking care of ours not theirs. It's that simple, and not even a smidge more complicated or biased toward or against any foreign entity. To shade normal conservative tendencies as being pro-anything foreign is typical leftist disingenuousness.

As a matter of fact, it was Biden who famously addressed Ukrainian corruption in such a dubious manner; but now they are the angels of Eastern Europe?

That being said, MAGAtudinousness or MAGAtududinosity is more plainly reluctant than average to involve in a situation that probably shouldn't have been a problem to begin with. THAT being said, Trump rightly started his presidency being non-antagonistic toward the power that has, in his absence, threatened nuclear mayhem. But that's an evil of some kind, all because the dems allowed/encouraged a fake dossier to bloom into the biggest unfounded political/personal smear in modern politics.

And here you are, still trying to work it. Unbelievable. You and your sort should be settled on an island somewhere with Hillary as your commandant. Within a week, you'd try to swim back here.

But back to your asininity, the least newsworthy idea ever is that Russia and China and France and Montenegro and every other country in the world wants to influence our politics in their favor. DUH. You think Ukraine isn't? You forgot to mention them. 'infecting' the dems. DUH and DUH again.

For the record, I favor helping Ukraine defeat the russkies. But even more so, I favor being able to afford to do so, and I don't favor trying to push through legislation that devotes 25% to our border crisis and the rest to Ukraine's border problems....and then trying to say that republicans don't care about our border when they call bullshit after MAGA's lead.

this is sheer stupidity and foul liberal deviousness. Republicans are for spending less not more, and for taking care of ours not theirs. It's that simple, and not even a smidge more complicated or biased toward or against any foreign entity. To shade normal conservative tendencies as being pro-anything foreign is typical leftist disingenuousness.

As a matter of fact, it was Biden who famously addressed Ukrainian corruption in such a dubious manner; but now they are the angels of Eastern Europe?

That being said, MAGAtudinousness or MAGAtududinosity is more plainly reluctant than average to involve in a situation that probably shouldn't have been a problem to begin with. THAT being said, Trump rightly started his presidency being non-antagonistic toward the power that has, in his absence, threatened nuclear mayhem. But that's an evil of some kind, all because the dems allowed/encouraged a fake dossier to bloom into the biggest unfounded political/personal smear in modern politics.

And here you are, still trying to work it. Unbelievable. You and your sort should be settled on an island somewhere with Hillary as your commandant. Within a week, you'd try to swim back here.

But back to your asininity, the least newsworthy idea ever is that Russia and China and France and Montenegro and every other country in the world wants to influence our politics in their favor. DUH. You think Ukraine isn't? You forgot to mention them. 'infecting' the dems. DUH and DUH again.

For the record, I favor helping Ukraine defeat the russkies. But even more so, I favor being able to afford to do so, and I don't favor trying to push through legislation that devotes 25% to our border crisis and the rest to Ukraine's border problems....and then trying to say that republicans don't care about our border when they call bullshit after MAGA's lead.
So, do you agree or disagree with your Republican congressman?

Reactions: blazers
So, do you agree or disagree with your Republican congressman?
do you agree with comments taken out of context? I already addressed that by pointing out how commonplace it is for foreign entities to attempt to influence us politically, just as we have done and still do try to influence the politics of other countries. To say that foreign powers are somewhat successful in those attempts is like saying the sun came up in the east this morning. Because if those attempts weren't successful to some degree, they wouldn't be wasting the time and energy on them

Do you believe lobbyists influence our congressman?.

And I just have to comment how idiotic it was for you to highlight 'republican', as if that was somehow going to make me think really hard about my answer. You're a simple dufus. Do better.

Reactions: nctransplant
This is a huge issue though. When being honest as above, you would fully admit that NPR is a very left leaning outlet who has no interest in being neutral or specifically "fair" to Hitler 2.0.
No, it isn't very left leaning. It is a little left leaning. Very left leaning is something like MSNBC or the Atlantic
For people who use them as their news source, it creates a vast slant to what they hear and therefore believe, espouse, and vote. It must be balanced or countered with something else to allow one to make their own assessment.
This isn't phenomena isn't new... have you ever heard of Fox? FOX is WAY more slanted than NPR is. The NPR story is interesting because they've had a recent shift since, oh, 2016, but the general topic of media and bias can apply to lots of sources.
How can they even pretend to present the "news"?
Personally, I care about opinion/analysis vs facts when rating new sources. Some sources present much more opinion than facts. Of course the bias comes into play if you only provide facts backing one narrative and that can lead to group-think, but at least facts aren't swapped for opinion and analysis which is often fabricated and much worse imho.

No, it isn't very left leaning. It is a little left leaning. Very left leaning is something like MSNBC or the Atlantic
it's a lot left-leaning. It isn't as left-leaning as the Young Turks maybe, but neither was Chairman Mao.

This isn't phenomena isn't new... have you ever heard of Fox? FOX is WAY more slanted than NPR is.
laugh-surprise.gif

fa30bdf9bbb8a1f78d19d51c869437ab.gif

200w.gif

This isn't phenomena isn't new... have you ever heard of Fox? FOX is WAY more slanted than NPR is. The NPR story is interesting because they've had a recent shift since, oh, 2016, but the general topic of media and bias can apply to lots of sources.

Personally, I care about opinion/analysis vs facts when rating new sources. Some sources present much more opinion than facts. Of course the bias comes into play if you only provide facts backing one narrative and that can lead to group-think, but at least facts aren't swapped for opinion and analysis which is often fabricated and much worse imho.
Wow. Do you live in a fantasy world? Their editorial board is made up of 87 democrats and no republicans. They are very left left leaning. But whether they are a little or a lot doesn't even matter as you don't even address the actual issue because you think this is ok.

Fox, or anyone else, can be anything they want to be. If they don't make money at it, they close up shop. Think CNN +, they closed in a month. That's how it goes. Obviously Fox is fine since their viewership crushes the others.

But NPR is taxpayer funded. They should kill themselves being neutral versus what they are doing. What part of this is hard to follow?

You realize fox often has Dims on shows. Some have them on daily. Many are fox employees. Npr 87 Dims 0 Rep.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe

Like having Adam schiff as your only source lol.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
Was this an inadvertent admission? The hilarious part of it is not the content, but that you actually posted it in the terrible joke thread - ultimate irony. That is, the politics expressed in your bullet points from the DNC often express little concern for the concepts of causation and correlation. Here's just one example.

Repeated assertions: All gun purchasers need to go through "universal" and more "comprehensive" background checks (whatever that means) as it will reduce gun violence/murders/mass shootings/crime/etc. Reality: Those willing to commit mass mayhem and murder, by definition, already don't care about laws, including those requiring background checks. They will acquire their firearms through whatever means required if they are intent on committing such acts. Importantly, the overwhelming majority of murders by firearms are committed by those who did not obtain their firearms through legal means.

Further, (since we know that multiple mass shooters have gone through and passed actual background checks that never revealed any issues whatsoever or demonstrated that the government does a shitty job of such checks) there is little, if any, causal relationship between background checks preventing murderous shootings, mass or otherwise. But that doesn't stop you from constantly confusing the correlation of the concept as compared to the actual failure of the causal relationship in practice.

Was this an inadvertent admission? The hilarious part of it is not the content, but that you actually posted it in the terrible joke thread - ultimate irony. That is, the politics expressed in your bullet points from the DNC often express little concern for the concepts of causation and correlation. Here's just one example.

Repeated assertions: All gun purchasers need to go through "universal" and more "comprehensive" background checks (whatever that means) as it will reduce gun violence/murders/mass shootings/crime/etc. Reality: Those willing to commit mass mayhem and murder, by definition, already don't care about laws, including those requiring background checks. They will acquire their firearms through whatever means required if they are intent on committing such acts. Importantly, the overwhelming majority of murders by firearms are committed by those who did not obtain their firearms through legal means.

Further, (since we know that multiple mass shooters have gone through and passed actual background checks that never revealed any issues whatsoever or demonstrated that the government does a shitty job of such checks) there is little, if any, causal relationship between background checks preventing murderous shootings, mass or otherwise. But that doesn't stop you from constantly confusing the correlation of the concept as compared to the actual failure of the causal relationship in practice.
No way he can grasp that. Probably doesn’t see the irony of him posting in the joke thread either. I’ll help him out.

“A correlation doesn’t imply causation, but causation always implies correlation.”

I like viewing youtube 'shorts', a few of which I've posted on this and other threads. You have to sift through a lot of nonsense to find gems, but they are there. Of late though, the Biden campaign has been blowing them up with little spot ads repeating endlessly the same lie about the economy and inflation. It's more akin to indoctrination than advertising.. Literally, around one in eight or ten shorts is a Biden ad. I skip over them easily, but it's very annoying AND as I said they lie, indicating that Biden has brought us a robust economy and has a handle on curbing inflation..

I hope everyone else finds them as irritating as I do, but more than that I'm curious about the arrangement the BC has with left-leaning Google to allow/facilitate this absolute bombardment of political advertising.

Any serious feedback on this would be appreciated. Usual kneejerk liberal defenses will be as easily ignored as the Biden ads.

A political campaign is spreading disinformation? Omg where’d you park your squad car dick Tracy! Wow this is huge. You should alert the media! Sell the story to the newspapers!! I SMELL PULITZER!!

Friends Lol GIF by Max
SARCASM: misplaced. You spend more energy denying Biden's incompetence and rotten character than you do trashing Trump. Please get a grip.

A couple fun things with trumps
Trial

Fox News scroll while they talk to someone says “increased security during trump trial” while the camera is focused on the entrance showing a gray haired pot bellied guard/deputy propped against the building smoking a cigarette

On cnn someone in traffic has one of those car horns that sounds like a train horn and keeps blowing it when the cnn person tries to talk

When talking about a gag order the prosecution introduced a tweet from trump saying “want a good lawyer don’t hire Michael cohen” and got some chuckles from the court

Reactions: pooponduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT