ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

All jokes aside, I do wonder what happened to him. He was acting as if his life really did depend on Muller getting Trump and his family. I sincerely hope he is ok.
He could be in trouble then because I don't think Mueller came through. Bad as he was i picture him in a straight jacket somewhere.

He could be in trouble then because I don't think Mueller came through. Bad as he was i picture him in a straight jacket somewhere.

Over 1000 former prosecutors stated that he would have been indicted on multiple charges if he weren’t the president. Mueller explicitly stated that he didn’t think a sitting president could be indicted so he turned his findings over to congress. But Barr flat out lied to the American people when he said Mueller exonerated trump.

As for Billy, I’m sure he’s doing fine. Maybe a bit hungover but I’m sure he’s hanging in there. I think he should be allowed back at some point.

So, instead of giving any kind of rebuttal, you culture shame him? Nice! I have zero issue understanding him. He doesn't sound like Begbie, although Begbie was a hilarious character.
No, there was a rebuttal. You ignored it. Also, I didn't say he sounded like Begbie, I said he was harder to understand than Begbie and Spud from Trainspotting.

The rebuttal was- he has theories... social and economic theories based on his own analysis. He also only offered criticism, not alternatives. I've heard hundreds of them. I still remember Ron Paul insisting the whole system would collapse because "we are broke." Apparently, there's a mistake in his analysis if 11 years later it's still working... somehow. I'm not denying his assertions make sense when placed in the context of how he views the system "working." I also believe that the currency would be much more sound if we moved away from a fiat system. The wealthy and powerful will choose that, not you or I. One thing I have realized; There's the ruling class and there's everyone else. And, the ruling class is always there... always. That's why we have them. It's become like a necessary polarity in our existence, like hot and cold. You cannot eliminate hot OR cold. One has to be there so there is an expression and experience of contrast. There will always be "elites" and a ruling class as long as humans accept the other standards currently in our civilized spectrum. And, I "culture-shamed" him because he's impossible to understand, boring as shit, and ineffective as a speaker. If he's certain that he's got the answers, then he needs to improve his ability to communicate to an audience that doesn't reside in Aberdeen or Glasgow.

What charges? Collusion? Obstruction of a crime Mueller couldn't prove? Time to move on young fella. If he couldn't prove anything or charge anything why in the hell was $30 million spent? More wasted tax dollars. Obama said no way could Russia interfere in our elections. Mueller said they did. You would think the left would work on that rather than chasing that magic rabbit. The next election is soon. Cant wait for Putin to tell me who to vote for again.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
No, there was a rebuttal. You ignored it. Also, I didn't say he sounded like Begbie, I said he was harder to understand than Begbie and Spud from Trainspotting.

The rebuttal was- he has theories... social and economic theories based on his own analysis. He also only offered criticism, not alternatives. I've heard hundreds of them. I still remember Ron Paul insisting the whole system would collapse because "we are broke." Apparently, there's a mistake in his analysis if 11 years later it's still working... somehow. I'm not denying his assertions make sense when placed in the context of how he views the system "working." I also believe that the currency would be much more sound if we moved away from a fiat system. The wealthy and powerful will choose that, not you or I. One thing I have realized; There's the ruling class and there's everyone else. And, the ruling class is always there... always. That's why we have them. It's become like a necessary polarity in our existence, like hot and cold. You cannot eliminate hot OR cold. One has to be there so there is an expression and experience of contrast. There will always be "elites" and a ruling class as long as humans accept the other standards currently in our civilized spectrum. And, I "culture-shamed" him because he's impossible to understand, boring as shit, and ineffective as a speaker. If he's certain that he's got the answers, then he needs to improve his ability to communicate to an audience that doesn't reside in Aberdeen or Glasgow.
He's no George Carlin, am I right?

Okay, you didn't offer an "intelligent", economic driven rebuttal. Is that better? For the record, he isn't the only one making the claim. Most people understand why there has been a rise in populism. Again, there's only a few of you left.

Edit: BTW, why do you think populism is on the rise?

Okay, you didn't offer an "intelligent", economic driven rebuttal. Is that better? For the record, he isn't the only one making the claim. Most people understand why there has been a rise in populism. Again, there's only a few of you left.
I don't have an economic theory. I'm not an economist. If the guy makes sense to you, great. Congratulations, you found something that makes sense.

When you say "Most people understand why there has been a rise in populism...", you actually believe that. You're completely unaware how totally subjective and speculative that statement really is, probably because you're in a bowl of confirmation bias. I don't think you're going to spark a revolution by placing these gifts under the OOTB tree every day.

I don't have an economic theory. I'm not an economist. If the guy makes sense to you, great. Congratulations, you found something that makes sense.

When you say "Most people understand why there has been a rise in populism...", you actually believe that. You're completely unaware how totally subjective and speculative that statement really is, probably because you're in a bowl of confirmation bias. I don't think you're going to spark a revolution by placing these gifts under the OOTB tree every day.

No, I believe that because I follow the news. I see even Hillary supporters who are now admitting that neo-liberal/neo-conservative globalist ideas is what has led to the rise in populism. I also love that you constantly bring up confirmation bias, but you're on the same level as uncboy when it comes to that issue. I have no dog in the populist fight. Some of the stuff they do, I agree with, and some I don't agree with. However, even the stuff that I don't agree with I at least understand why it's being pushed. Until you can understand what is going on you'll continue to do the same thing in political threads...which is spin your wheels.

No, I believe that because I follow the news. I see even Hillary supporters who are now admitting that neo-liberal/neo-conservative globalist ideas is what has led to the rise in populism. I also love that you constantly bring up confirmation bias, but you're on the same level as uncboy when it comes to that issue. I have no dog in the populist fight. Some of the stuff they do, I agree with, and some I don't agree with. However, even the stuff that I don't agree with I at least understand why it's being pushed. Until you can understand what is going on you'll continue to do the same thing in political threads...which is spin your wheels.
If you think I'm spinning my wheels, then I'm very content with that.

I "constantly bring up confirmation bias." JFC, dude...

If you have no dog in the fight, then wtf are you sitting front row at the ring? You never make any sense. Have a good day.

If you have no dog in the fight, then wtf are you sitting front row at the ring? You never make any sense. Have a good day.

What? I can't have an opinion on something? That's pretty authoritarian you you, dude. You can say that you're content with spinning your wheels, but your inability to discuss a myriad of political ideas is obviously frustrating you.

Damn @strummingram That makes you an authoritarian NPC with TDS.

Maybe we should get some scout badges so we can keep everyone’s labels straight.

Here, you don't have to listen to this, you can just read it:

https://www.cirsd.org/en/horizons/h.../populism-as-a-backlash-against-globalization

I'll look for more articles to prove my point.

Edit1: BTW, I hope you Bernie supporters realize that you're populists as well as the Trump supporters. ;)

Edit2: From the Economist. His accent is British, so I hope you can understand it. :D

Last edited:
Damn @strummingram That makes you an authoritarian NPC with TDS.

Maybe we should get some scout badges so we can keep everyone’s labels straight.
@tarheel0910 is the king of all authoritarians... a MASSIVE authoritarian.

he's a neo-fascist-liberal-con-ist who pretends to be a classic fundamentalist old-school throwback traditionalist fly-stuck-in-amber.

@tarheel0910 is the king of all authoritarians... a MASSIVE authoritarian.

he's a neo-fascist-liberal-con-ist who pretends to be a classic fundamentalist old-school throwback traditionalist fly-stuck-in-amber.

tenor.gif

New border surge prompts 10% jump in 2019 prediction to 1,072,000 illegal immigrants

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...19-prediction-to-1-072-000-illegal-immigrants

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection on Wednesday revealed that May apprehensions topped 144,000. This year has seen 676,315 apprehensions so far, up 99% over this time last year."

I have no issue with legal immigration, but this is out of control. I read an article the other day talking about how we just bought 2.2 million diapers for the border. The really insane part is that all of this is being handled by a small group of senators. No wonder Trump is threatening tariffs on Mexico.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2...-buying-2-2-million-diapers-to-help-migrants/

I vote in honor of the 75th anniversary of D-Day we don't post links to current squabbles all day today.

I vote in honor of the 75th anniversary of D-Day we don't post links to current squabbles all day today.

I honor those vets, my grandfather was at Pearl Harbor. That being said, they fought for our liberties, and that includes the First Amendment. Discussing issues with the country is not dishonoring anyone.

I'm surprised Google doesn't have a doodle today honoring D-Day

(no I'm not)
Eisenhower and the brave US heroes made the unfortunate timing error of storming the beaches at Normandy - leading to liberating France and Western Europe, and defeating the Axis powers and Naziism - spreading and preserving freedom far across the western world....

at the beginning of Pride Month.

I'm not going to debate whether or not there should be a Pride Day, Month etc. But for Pride Month in June to seem to trump all other remembrances / honor, commemoration, is the unfortunate place we seem to be as a culture.

Example: I see almost every corporate marketing campaigning touting and spreading how woke and virtuous they are about LGBT diversity celebration. Almost none do the same to honor and celebrate our past military heroes. Why is that?

I think it is largely because (excuse me for the generalization) the most active and vocal in the LGBT community - do more to hold companies hostage, try to embarrass them, bully them into being woke.....

while the past and present military heroes are much more modest. All they ask for is a tiny fraction of the respect that they and their fallen brethren are due.

Those amphibious troop carriers were death traps. Many sank, on those that didnt, the germans got their range by continuously firing at the drop down ramp as the carriers approached. Those guys inside had to sit there on the way in to the beach and hear the bullets bouncing off the door knowing that when that door dropped open the guys up front were sitting ducks.

Eisenhower and the brave US heroes made the unfortunate timing error of storming the beaches at Normandy - leading to liberating France and Western Europe, and defeating the Axis powers and Naziism - spreading and preserving freedom far across the western world....

I'm not going to debate whether or not there should be a Pride Day, Month etc. But for Pride Month in June to seem to trump all other remembrances / honor, commemoration, is the unfortunate place we seem to be as a culture.

Example: I see almost every corporate marketing campaigning touting and spreading how woke and virtuous they are about LGBT diversity celebration. Almost none do the same to honor and celebrate our past military heroes. Why is that?

I think it is largely because (excuse me for the generalization) the most active and vocal in the LGBT community - do more to hold companies hostage, try to embarrass them, bully them into being woke.....

while the past and present military heroes are much more modest. All they ask for is a tiny fraction of the respect that they and their fallen brethren are due.
Well, didn't Eisenhower and the Allies plan that on purpose? I mean, wasn't it intentional to piss-off certain people 75 years later?

Reactions: Heelicious
Those amphibious troop carriers were death traps. Many sank, on those that didnt, the germans got their range by continuously firing at the drop down ramp as the carriers approached. Those guys inside had to sit there on the way in to the beach and hear the bullets bouncing off the door knowing that when that door dropped open the guys up front were sitting ducks.
Exactly. And almost anything you can imagine, it was even worse. I read an article on those first amphibious boats headed toward Omaha beach. The troops on the first few boats had about a 10-20% survival rate, with all the higher commanders killed, and most of the troops slaughtered in the first five minutes after the doors dropped. Many more soldiers died via dropping over the side to avoid being sitting ducks getting shot - and they drowned because their heavy backpacks took them to the bottom like an anchor.

I just can't fathom being in one of those boats, with the firestorm directed at you, knowing you 95+% were sure your whole life would be over soon, with nothing you could do about it. I'll admit I'm not nearly as brave as these guys, and I'd have a hard time signing my two sons up for it either. I mean that in a way that pays the utmost respect to the heroes who did undergo that fight for the free world and paid the ultimate sacrifice. At least they knew what they were fighting for, and it was a worthy cause - a shift to freedom for millions around the world.

The fights and endless wars we get ourselves into since the 70's and especially in last few decades....it's much less clear what purpose / whose interests we are serving. I still respect the hell out of people who sign up and serve.... the mission and how it serves US or world freedom interests is much less clear to me.

Speaking of pride parades. :D

Three men plan "Straight Pride Parade" in Boston — and celebrities have a lot to say

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/straig...n-plan-parade-celebrity-reactions-2019-06-05/

Their website: https://www.superhappyfunamerica.com/parade/

It's not a competition. I'm sure lots of gay folks have family members that served as well.

This is one of those weird things that's presented as a culture war even though the vast majority of us agree about honoring those who fought in Normandy, and anywhere else for that matter. Most of us also agree that gay folks should be able to live their lives how they want, as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Somehow people get it in their heads that these are some kind of cultural/political opposites.

The fact that its so easy to get sucked into an argument about gay pride vs D-day remembrance is what actually says something about our culture. Those men sacrificed their lives in the name of freedom. So that we could have things like a gay pride parade without being sent to the gulags. Celebrating that freedom actually seems like a pretty great way to honor their sacrifice IMO.

It's not a competition. I'm sure lots of gay folks have family members that served as well.

This is one of those weird things that's presented as a culture war even though the vast majority of us agree about honoring those who fought in Normandy, and anywhere else for that matter. Most of us also agree that gay folks should be able to live their lives how they want, as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Somehow people get it in their heads that these are some kind of cultural/political opposites.

The fact that its so easy to get sucked into an argument about gay pride vs D-day remembrance is what actually says something about our culture. Those men sacrificed their lives in the name of freedom. So that we could have things like a gay pride parade without being sent to the gulags. Celebrating that freedom actually seems like a pretty great way to honor their sacrifice IMO.
I agree with most everything you've said here.

The part that is just off-putting to me personally (to each his own, though) is just how over-the-top and in-your-face, cram-down-everyone's throat, many corporations, social media, etc are about "celebrating" GLBT community. I personally prefer "respect diversity" over "celebrate diversity". What has been accomplished that we are celebrating?

It sometimes feels like GLBT activists are extra-vocal and active and in people's faces to the point of making some people uncomfortable - in an effort to rectify or make up for the times in history where they have obviously wrongly been persecuted, discriminated against, etc. I just don't think that gets the intended result or reaction in society in the long term - of being treated with equal dignity and respect - via coercion, antagonism.

Maybe I could be proven wrong - but it just seems like the culture, companies, social media is less likely to promote or push or even acknowledge "celebrate, honor D-Day".

Its just not as politically correct these days, to say that "American toxic males did good over a different evil culture and regime, via joining in and leading in wining a war". Many of the words in this last sentence trigger or offend a lot of people in today's society.

But - yes I totally agree its not a zero-sum game. Its not like one group has to be celebrated at the expense of the other group. I guess I'm just saying what it cost in blood and in the lives and families of these heroes is taken for granted a lot today in media and corporate world - in my opinion - and I'm not sure we as a country have the spine, courage, etc to meet the challenge like they did then

The part that is just off-putting to me personally (to each his own, though) is just how over-the-top and in-your-face, cram-down-everyone's throat, many corporations, social media, etc are about "celebrating" GLBT community. I personally prefer "respect diversity" over "celebrate diversity". What has been accomplished that we are celebrating?

It sometimes feels like GLBT activists are extra-vocal and active and in people's faces to the point of making some people uncomfortable - in an effort to rectify or make up for the times in history where they have obviously wrongly been persecuted, discriminated against, etc. I just don't think that gets the intended result or reaction in society in the long term - of being treated with equal dignity and respect - via coercion, antagonism.

Maybe I could be proven wrong - but it just seems like the culture, companies, social media is less likely to promote or push or even acknowledge "celebrate, honor D-Day".

Its just not as politically correct these days, to say that "American toxic males did good over a different evil culture and regime, via joining in and leading in wining a war". Many of the words in this last sentence trigger or offend a lot of people in today's society.

But - yes I totally agree its not a zero-sum game. Its not like one group has to be celebrated at the expense of the other group. I guess I'm just saying what it cost in blood and in the lives and families of these heroes is taken for granted a lot today in media and corporate world - in my opinion - and I'm not sure we as a country have the spine, courage, etc to meet the challenge like they did then
You don't feel like D-Day is being honored year after year? It's being honored everywhere. It's always honored, every... single... year. I, honestly, just realized yesterday that June was "pride month." I'd never known that, or certainly hadn't remembered it, if I had known it.

It's quite easy to acknowledge D-Day and Pride Month! It's practically effortless.

We also have memorial day and veterans day. Not only do we celebrate people in the military on those days, we can also get a new car with no money down and zero interest for up to 72 months.*

*For well qualified buyers

I don't think it takes much for people to get uncomfortable when it comes to LGBT folks though. Most of the time when people get outraged about this stuff it's something silly like some cereal commercial had two dads instead of a mom. I'm sure some advocates are overly aggressive, but I'm confident those are the minority. The McCarthyist tendencies are actually coming from a very small minority of twitter users, and yet we allow them to dominate our discourse, and many believe they now represent an entire wing of American politics. Most progressives and LGBT advocates do not believe that men are toxic and white people are evil.

Corporations are simply doing what they think will make them the most money. That's why they may be less likely to focus on d-day. But they don't really represent anyone except themselves. Lately people have gotten it in their heads that these "left wing" companies are out there forcing progressivism on everyone. Google and the other tech companies are usually the ones mentioned. Yet they lobby congress to avoid regulation, and to avoid paying taxes. Doesn't sound very progressive to me...

You're right that their sacrifice is taken for granted. The sacrifices of soldiers have been taken for granted since the beginning of human history. That is the nature of war. I've never served, much less in combat. So I know that I will never be able to truly appreciate what that experience is like. I have no idea what those men went through. I just know that I am grateful that there are men out there who will run towards gunfire when their name gets called. When corporations try to whitewash war and use the 'rally around the flag' strategy to sell shitty light beer, then I get just as disgusted. We've never gotten this right, and I don't think we ever will.

Reactions: Heelicious
I don't think it takes much for people to get uncomfortable when it comes to LGBT folks though. Most of the time when people get outraged about this stuff it's something silly like some cereal commercial had two dads instead of a mom. I'm sure some advocates are overly aggressive, but I'm confident those are the minority. The McCarthyist tendencies are actually coming from a very small minority of twitter users, and yet we allow them to dominate our discourse, and many believe they now represent an entire wing of American politics. Most progressives and LGBT advocates do not believe that men are toxic and white people are evil.

Corporations are simply doing what they think will make them the most money. That's why they may be less likely to focus on d-day. But they don't really represent anyone except themselves. Lately people have gotten it in their heads that these "left wing" companies are out there forcing progressivism on everyone. Google and the other tech companies are usually the ones mentioned. Yet they lobby congress to avoid regulation, and to avoid paying taxes. Doesn't sound very progressive to me...

You're right that their sacrifice is taken for granted. The sacrifices of soldiers have been taken for granted since the beginning of human history. That is the nature of war. I've never served, much less in combat. So I know that I will never be able to truly appreciate what that experience is like. I have no idea what those men went through. I just know that I am grateful that there are men out there who will run towards gunfire when their name gets called. When corporations try to whitewash war and use the 'rally around the flag' strategy to sell shitty light beer, then I get just as disgusted. We've never gotten this right, and I don't think we ever will.

The issue is that the progressive movement has been hijacked by big corporations. Most of them are unwilling dupes or useful idiots.

Google and the other tech companies are usually the ones mentioned. Yet they lobby congress to avoid regulation, and to avoid paying taxes. Doesn't sound very progressive to me...

Sure it does. "Progressives" are great at opining on how much of your money should be taxed and where those taxes should be spent, while simultaneously thinking it doesn't apply to them. And of course a public company is going to attempt to pay the least amount of tax possible regardless of their politics - they owe it to their shareholders to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT