ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

If you're just talking about the last yr (lockdown), do you know people who have moved since last March for these reasons?
I live in Minnesota. I know of probably 10-20 people on Twitter who say they have fled or are fleeing MN ASAP to other friendlier states. Those are just people I hear about, but I have to assume it is a reflective sample of the public at large.

Between the Floyd riots, through-the-roof crime rate increase, the war on cops and its impact on public safety, the atrocious handling of the COVID response by our governor (near permanent lockdown on almost all small businesses, very slow if any return to school in person, inability to worship in person, etc) , the related entire destruction of the restaurant and entertainment, hospitality industries, and about half of all small businesses in the state....

and a consistently deepest of deep blue pol environments (the Republican party does not exist, really, here. They are weak feckless losers). I just mention the pol thing because states seem to operate best when they have two vibrant pol parties who have to compete and negotiate, instead of rule as a one-party dictatorship.

Add on to this that the weather is not ideal here. That hasn't changed, but the fact that the weather is nicer elsewhere, and also there are things I mentioned above that are undesirable, push adults over the edge to move to better overall life environments / states for themselves and their families.

I live in Minnesota. I know of probably 10-20 people on Twitter who say they have fled or are fleeing MN ASAP to other friendlier states. Those are just people I hear about, but I have to assume it is a reflective sample of the public at large.

Between the Floyd riots, through-the-roof crime rate increase, the war on cops and its impact on public safety, the atrocious handling of the COVID response by our governor (near permanent lockdown on almost all small businesses, very slow if any return to school in person, inability to worship in person, etc) , the related entire destruction of the restaurant and entertainment, hospitality industries, and about half of all small businesses in the state....

and a consistently deepest of deep blue pol environments (the Republican party does not exist, really, here. They are weak feckless losers). I just mention the pol thing because states seem to operate best when they have two vibrant pol parties who have to compete and negotiate, instead of rule as a one-party dictatorship.

Add on to this that the weather is not ideal here. That hasn't changed, but the fact that the weather is nicer elsewhere, and also there are things I mentioned above that are undesirable, push adults over the edge to move to better overall life environments / states for themselves and their families.

Yeah but,...I mean,...they say that but how can we really know it was politically driven?

I hear ya. I personally have friends who threaten to leave NC because NC voted Trump and Tillis, but then they remember NC mtns and beach are pretty awesome, the Triangle is pretty blue, it is where their friends/fam are etc. And they won't bring it back up til 3.5 yrs from now.

I'm not surprised it is top of mind for some, but moving ain't easy.

War on cops lol
The city council cut cop funding drastically. Neither the mayor nor the city council have done anything to support cops, and have passed several measures to make cops jobs more difficult.

So - about 20% of the Minneapolis / St. Paul police force has walked (retired). Recruiting is anemic. And the city leaders are putting down the red carpet for a Biden DOJ investigation of Minneapolis police department. The dumbfk loser students at U of M have an open campaign to call in bogus reports to try to distract and waste time, and antagonize Mpls cops - take them away from real work.

If that isn't a war on cops, I'm not sure what is. Do you think "war" can only be taken literally as opening fire on them? Hand to hand combat?

If that isn't a war on cops, I'm not sure what is. Do you think "war" can only be taken literally as opening fire on them?

Well it has been said that a good guy with a gun is the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun.

I think it’s overstated to say there’s more “freedom” in red or southern states being it’s a subjective topic.

Life is a trade off and that includes living in a blue, red, or purple state. The only thing I’d say is that economically red states certainly don’t have as much tape. On the other hand who wants to live in the middle of nowhere in Kansas where the only thing on the radio are a bunch of evangelical preachers screaming hell and brimstone against sinners? Not many.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I think it’s overstated to say there’s more “freedom” in red or southern states being it’s a subjective topic.

Life is a trade off and that includes living in a blue, red, or purple state. The only thing I’d say is that economically red states certainly don’t have as much tape. On the other hand who wants to live in the middle of nowhere in Kansas where the only thing on the radio are a bunch of evangelical preachers screaming hell and brimstone against sinners? Not many.
Who the **** listens to radio? And as far as I know, there's an off switch for radio. Not so much for government.

Who the **** listens to radio? And as far as I know, there's an off switch for radio. Not so much for government.

Plenty of people don’t know even know who their own congressman is haha.

The example I gave was more tongue and cheek but I did have a friend who lives in Illinois who drove down there once and said the radio was full of that crazy shit lol.

0e68d3e4-6391-482f-a782-78e9f4c656d5_screenshot.jpg

On the other hand who wants to live in the middle of nowhere in Kansas where the only thing on the radio are a bunch of evangelical preachers screaming hell and brimstone against sinners? Not many.
I was driving home through rural Georgia about a year or so ago and turned on the car radio and, no joke, Dueling Banjos was playing.

There's nothing like some good ol' backwater AM radio to soothe the soul and tickle the ribs.

I live "in the middle of no where Nebraska" and you have no clue what you are talking about.

I live "in the middle of no where Nebraska" and you have no clue what you are talking about.
Yes you do, you're just being difficult. I've been to most of this country and the midwest has a lot of preaching on the radio when compared to the coasts. I agree with @tarheel0910 on the who gives a shit what's on the radio but you're lying if you're denying it's there.

Reactions: strummingram
War on cops lol
I know, right? What in the world would someone have heard to make him think that there has been a movement to say, defund the police or take their weapons away and make them social workers, or something else stupid like that? Where do people get these ideas? Next thing you know, they'll claim that there have been actual ambush cop killings brought on by the current climate of cop-hate.

So lucky to have insightful people like you to snicker like an ignorant jackass whenever you need to derogate what you don't want to admit is true.

On the other hand who wants to live in the middle of nowhere in Kansas where the only thing on the radio are a bunch of evangelical preachers screaming hell and brimstone against sinners?

The example I gave was more tongue and cheek but I did have a friend who lives in Illinois who drove down there once and said the radio was full of that crazy shit lol.
thanks for your valuable contribution to this discussion. Your perspective and the experiences you relate are amazing. This is why I pay what I pay for being here.

I've lived here for 13 years. You are full of shit.
I'm not. Let's check the facts on a 30 second google search...

NJ has 8.9 million people...with 21 christian radio programs across the state. So one station per 424,000 people.
Nebraska has 1.9 million people...with 24 christian radio programs across the state. So one station per 80,000 people...aka 6x of NJ.

Hell, the Grand Island area has 90,000 people and 3 different christian radio programs for an outrageous 1 per 30,000 people.

Done here.

I'm not. Let's check the facts on a 30 second google search...

NJ has 8.9 million people...with 21 christian radio programs across the state. So one station per 424,000 people.
Nebraska has 1.9 million people...with 24 christian radio programs across the state. So one station per 80,000 people...aka 6x of NJ.

Hell, the Grand Island area has 90,000 people and 3 different christian radio programs for an outrageous 1 per 30,000 people.

Done here.
My point is it's not on every radio station out here. Another good point, look at the hell hole NJ is, maybe they could use some more Christian radio stations in that shit state.

Last edited:
Since we're making blanket statements about places we've visited once, I've been to the state of New York. Nothing there but criminals and unlikable people. I've run the numbers.
Who says I've been to Nebraska once? Remember now, you're a stickler for details.

thanks for your valuable contribution to this discussion. Your perspective and the experiences you relate are amazing. This is why I pay what I pay for being here.

My original point remains. Every state has benefits and drawbacks. Some are better run than others. Illinois for example is a hotbed of corruption and has been for a long time. California loves to pride itself as a beacon of progress and yet they can't build a monorail it would take Japan to complete in about six months. On the other hand Alabama has poor education, poor health, stifling humidity, and an extremely convoluted 19th century tax code. But the cost of living is cheap. Texas claims to be 'energy independent' when in reality people actually pay for their electric bills than any other state and couldn't be bothered to build protection around their grid.

Most of it is personal preference. No state is perfect.

I know, right? What in the world would someone have heard to make him think that there has been a movement to say, defund the police or take their weapons away and make them social workers, or something else stupid like that? Where do people get these ideas? Next thing you know, they'll claim that there have been actual ambush cop killings brought on by the current climate of cop-hate.

So lucky to have insightful people like you to snicker like an ignorant jackass whenever you need to derogate what you don't want to admit is true.

Well if its a war then I hope they throw in the towel soon and stop murdering unarmed civilians

My original point remains. Every state has benefits and drawbacks. Some are better run than others. Illinois for example is a hotbed of corruption and has been for a long time. California loves to pride itself as a beacon of progress and yet they can't build a monorail it would take Japan to complete in about six months. On the other hand Alabama has poor education, poor health, stifling humidity, and an extremely convoluted 19th century tax code. But the cost of living is cheap. Texas claims to be 'energy independent' when in reality people actually pay for their electric bills than any other state and couldn't be bothered to build protection around their grid.

Most of it is personal preference. No state is perfect.
tl;dw

Your friend from Illinois really gets around, I see. Thanks for sharing.

and I hope that as soon as they throw in the towel, you'll need one of them to save your dumb ass from some murderous armed thug and they say 'sorry, we just threw in the towel, isn't that what your stupid ass wanted?'

Murderous armed thugs? Lol cops protect their own so I doubt they’d be much help in that situation.

Isn’t that what the 2nd amendment is for anyways? Or are you one of those guys that needs to cry to the police when somebody messes with you?

Murderous armed thugs? Lol cops protect their own so I doubt they’d be much help in that situation.

Isn’t that what the 2nd amendment is for anyways? Or are you one of those guys that needs to cry to the police when somebody messes with you?
the better question is, are you one of those dillweeds who crank out reams of disrespect until you need saving by the same? Of course you are.

I'm one of those guys who appreciates the reality that cops are by far and away decent people who lay their well-being on the line to protect me and my loved ones, and society in general. I'm one of those guys who would of course call the police to my aid if needed, but will defend myself as necessary in the meantime. I'm not some wet-behind-the-ears snot-nose who naively hangs on to every instance of media sensationalism and condemns an entire group of people over the few bad apples that occur in any group, be it racial or occupational.

You just need a reality check son. I'm sure you'll get one eventually. The only question then will be whether you have the forthrightness to admit it, and I'm not sure of that at all..

Reactions: Heelicious

You mean like the ones in the Chauvin trial?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT