ADVERTISEMENT

Our 2012 team was an elite team and was robbed of a championship showdown with Kentucky...

We were very good for sure. With a healthy Henson and Marshall*, there's no doubt in my mind that we get to the finals. Whether or not we could've beaten Kentucky, who knows. But I'd have liked our chances.

*creighton- you still suck and I will forever pull for you to lose every time as long as thugdermot is still your coach.

Reactions: toophly1124
Yeah Mark, I feel confident we would have at least had the opportunity to play UK for the whole thing. But it's certainly not a given that we would have beaten them.

And as Carolina fans should know better than any, injuries are a part of the game. Ray Meyer, one of the coaching greats, said our '84 team was playing as well as any college team he had ever seen. And then the bush league play by Tudor broke the Jet's wrist. I feel we probably would have won the title that year. What a talented team!

Reactions: Littlejon
Yeah Mark, I feel confident we would have at least had the opportunity to play UK for the whole thing. But it's certainly not a given that we would have beaten them.

And as Carolina fans should know better than any, injuries are a part of the game. Ray Meyer, one of the coaching greats, said our '84 team was playing as well as any college team he had ever seen. And then the bush league play by Tudor broke the Jet's wrist. I feel we probably would have won the title that year. What a talented team!

Oh man Arch, I can't watch that... too painful.

At least as far back as I can remember, injuries derailed potential titles in 77 and 84, as well as 2012. I know there has to be a few more but can't recall at the moment.

We were very good for sure. With a healthy Henson and Marshall*, there's no doubt in my mind that we get to the finals. Whether or not we could've beaten Kentucky, who knows. But I'd have liked our chances.

*creighton- you still suck and I will forever pull for you to lose every time as long as thugdermot is still your coach.

Yeah! Blue jayblue jay sittin on a pole .... ever see a jackass with a white asshole???

2012 had a ton of talent on paper but something just wasn't right with that team. I do agree though we lost any chance when Kendall went down. But there isn't any guarantee we beat Kentucky that year. I think they were just a bit better. We beat Dook bad last game of year but struggled a bit in ACC tourney and in first round vs Vermont. So its not like we were on a serious mega roll prior to Kendall's untimely injury.

Correct sir.

We lost by a hair at Rupp earlier that season

I liked our chances on a neutral floor, and being able to match UKs size.
I agree that we had the best team in the country in 2012. Also, kensucky got another title when we were the best in the nation in 1998. I will unfortunately never forget that game when we lost to Utah. It just shows how hard it is to win the Title even when your team is the very best.

I agree that we had the best team in the country in 2012. Also, kensucky got another title when we were the best in the nation in 1998. I will unfortunately never forget that game when we lost to Utah. It just shows how hard it is to win the Title even when your team is the very best.

Yeah! Winning a title depends on so many variables. That's why Roy winning 3 titles in the last 12 years is so impressive. It seems like he's got us primed for a run every 4 years--that's one reason I'm glad we don't do the OAD thing like dOOk, and UK.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Yeah! Winning a title depends on so many variables. That's why Roy winning 3 titles in the last 12 years is so impressive. It seems like he's got us primed for a run every 4 years--that's one reason I'm glad we don't do the OAD thing like dOOk, and UK.
Very true. Also Roy’s last year at Kansas he could have won a title then also if his team could have hit their free throws. So realistically his teams could have or did win in 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2016 and 2017. That is a very solid resume. Not to mention regular season conference titles.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT