ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Ford is definitely the best UNC PG ever

The man, the myth, the legend…

IMG-5271.webp

I agree that Phil Ford was the best PG. I was in high school but still a UNC fan then, but when we went to the 4 Corners with Phil it was incredible. He was almost unstoppable in that offense. I only hope that Cadeau can be as great.

Phil is the best PG to play for the Heels. He had the ideal skill set to play point for Coach Smith. The biggest difference I see right now is at the line. Phil had picture-perfect form and in crunch time was automatic. Cadeau is not there yet.

I am not expecting Cadeau to be another Phil - just not happening. Not a slam on him, Ford is just at another level in my eyes and I doubt Cadeau is there 4 years. I hope that Cadeau is in 2nd tier conversation of great pg's who won a title in their stay.

five star thread that mentions my two faves, Phil Ford and Easy Ed Cota. I'd love for Cadeau to end up making that a trio. He doesn't have to BE them, because no one can. He just needs to belong with them. But if he ends up in a second tier, that still would be nothing short of magnificent.

Reactions: Archer2
Just saying... If Kendall Marshall plays all 4 years he’d be the NCAA all-time assist leader by a lot - likely 100 assists clear of #2.

He was definitely on pace to pass Hurley for the all time ACC assist leader. I was pulling for him to stay for that reason only,................and maybe a little because he'd help us continue to win a lot of games.

Phil Ford would have been a great UNC head coach, but the alcohol did him in.

UNC fans have been blessed with a great list of great PGs to play for Carolina, Phil Ford sits at the top of that list. We all demand perfection and yet perfection just isn't possible for any of us but as close as you can come to it in college sports in my estimation was Phil Ford as the UNC PG, it was the guy, for the school, for the coach, for all of it Phil stands alone. Was he the best UNC player all time, I have him as just that thou many would argue Hansbourgh, some would argue Jordan or Charlie Scott and some may offer a couple other names that pre-date me.

And yes, I will always believe that had Phil been given the chance that he would as well be a hall of fame winning UNC head coach. His loyality to the program, to UNC itself, to Dean was and still is simply amazing.

Phil Ford is the reason I became a Tar Heel fan, so he's always no. 1 to me.

In addition to Phil, Tar Heel fans have been absolutely blessed to have seen some of the best ever play for UNC over the last 50 years:

Kenny Smith
Ty Lawson
Ray Felton
Joel Berry
Ed Cota
Kendall Marshall
Derrick Phelps
Jimmy Black
Jeff McInnis

Reactions: r_u_worthy
To each there on, but Tywon Lawson....
Ty was great but in all my years following UNC the only consistent time I have felt truly comfortable that we had this game in the bag has been was when Phil Ford held up those 4 fingers. Imagine that, we are 4mins left in a game and we are up by 3, imagine the feeling of 4 fingers being held up and you rest easy knowing they got this one now? Now days up 10 with 3mins left I am still nervous, I wasn't when Phil Ford was playing for us. I can describe it to you but really, you just had to be there, you just had to go thru those game emotions we all do as fans to really understand it. It is not the same when you already know the results, your emotions are not nearly as peeked if you already know the final score.

Reactions: r_u_worthy
I wasn't when Phil Ford was playing for us. I can describe it to you but really, you just had to be there, you just had to go thru those game emotions we all do as fans to really understand it.
so very well said. You just had to be there to appreciate how capably Phil Ford took personal care of Carolina basketball, and how deeply he affected the feelings of the fans when the ball was in his unfailing hands. There will never be another Phil Ford. Don't even try to compare. It's game over.

Ty was great but in all my years following UNC the only consistent time I have felt truly comfortable that we had this game in the bag has been was when Phil Ford held up those 4 fingers. Imagine that, we are 4mins left in a game and we are up by 3, imagine the feeling of 4 fingers being held up and you rest easy knowing they got this one now? Now days up 10 with 3mins left I am still nervous, I wasn't when Phil Ford was playing for us. I can describe it to you but really, you just had to be there, you just had to go thru those game emotions we all do as fans to really understand it. It is not the same when you already know the results, your emotions are not nearly as peeked if you already know the final score.

I'm not old enough to have watched Phil but I often wonder if the 4 corners was great and unstoppable with Phil running it why didn't hey win a national championship?

I'm not old enough to have watched Phil but I often wonder if the 4 corners was great and unstoppable with Phil running it why didn't hey win a national championship?
Two things that quickly come to mind...
1. That 77 team was walking wounded. It was a Heel of an achievement to make it to the finals.
2. Dean went to 4 corners too early vs. Marquette. Heels had momentum and that killed it.

That loss still hurts.

#12- its really not even that close. And if there was a three point line when that man played, he might have had 3200 pts. He would pull up on the dime from 25 ft and it was money!! That being said, all the UNC PG's are among my favorites- so much to like and they all played just a bit different! EC will get into that club- you can see it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT