ADVERTISEMENT

Poast your favorite tweets here

Life hack: don’t drive in a snowstorm in the south

I always find it funny how the north and south act when the weather switches from their normal. Snows a foot in the north, normal winter. Snows an inch in the south, the world comes to an end. Bad storm in the north, it's the apocalypse. Category 5 hurricane in the south, school delayed by 2 hours.

I always find it funny how the north and south act when the weather switches from their normal. Snows a foot in the north, normal winter. Snows an inch in the south, the world comes to an end. Bad storm in the north, it's the apocalypse. Category 5 hurricane in the south, school delayed by 2 hours.

Couple years ago we got a few inches of snow and ice here which is a once a decade type event. I jumped in my jeep to go to Home Depot parking lot down the road to have some fun. The roads completely iced over. I’m doing 35 in a 55 on solid ice. Some guy in a big lifted truck proceeds to tail gate me. I pull off to let him by cause I knew I was seconds away from a wreck that would take hours out of my day. He gunned it by me….then immediately did a 360 and slid into a ditch ripping his fender off. I stopped and said “you need help” he said “yea I guess so” i said “okay” and left

Couple years ago we got a few inches of snow and ice here which is a once a decade type event. I jumped in my jeep to go to Home Depot parking lot down the road to have some fun. The roads completely iced over. I’m doing 35 in a 55 on solid ice. Some guy in a big lifted truck proceeds to tail gate me. I pull off to let him by cause I knew I was seconds away from a wreck that would take hours out of my day. He gunned it by me….then immediately did a 360 and slid into a ditch ripping his fender off. I stopped and said “you need help” he said “yea I guess so” i said “okay” and left
I had a buddy from Pittsburgh who generally didn't indulge in the usual trashing of things Southern, like how to drive in wintery conditions...that is, until he was around his yankee co-workers, and then they would all just cackle over how clueless we were in that regard and he would join right in.

We took a trip up to his parents home and with three other members of his family went on an outing of golf and a visit to the football HOF in Canton. After the HOF we found a really cool bar and sat in it for several hours. It had started snowing when we were still at the HOF, and by the time we left the bar there was quite the snowstorm in progress and a lot of snow on the road. No ice even, just snow so no problem, right? Because these were yankees in yankee land and they knew how to drive in the snow, right?

My buddy was driving and he realized he needed gas so he picked out a station on the opposite side of the road, and he turned into it without slowing down much and I was thinking 'damn dude, you do see all the packed snow don't you?'. Sure enough, he tapped the brakes after he was in the stations lot and of course the wheels locked up. He slid with momentum straight into some unfortunate woman's car. Unfortunate for her but lucky for everybody else because if her car hadn't been there, we would have taken out a pump.

So we sat there for hours waiting for the police to come by but they never did, because guess what they were busy with? That's right, they were attending to untold numbers of other yankee idiots who thought they knew how to drive in the snow. His car was drivable but hers was not so we finally abandoned that poor woman with contact and insurance info and said good luck.

It was all I could do to not give my buddy the needle right there on the spot, but I didn't feel like walking home to Raleigh from Canton, Ohio so I restrained myself.....but after that whenever the opportunity came up for him to join in the 'Southerners can't drive in the snow' bullshit when I was around, all I had to do was look at him with a raised eyebrow and a bit of a smirk and he knew he had to keep his mouth shut. So deeply satisfying.

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
tsunami warnings for hawaii, alaska and us pacific coast…holy
you can easily see the ring of disturbance radiating out from the volcano through the ocean, and it looks like it means business. East Coast of the U.S. looks like a good place to be.

Reactions: gteeitup
lol, this is almost pointless as I'd go to three different places to get each of these things. Popeye's or Bojangles or Chick-fil-a for the chicken, Arby's for the fish (when they have it), and just about any other place for the hamburger....yet somehow...
so arby’s sometimes has fish?…had no idea.

i’ve been on a strictly pescatarian diet for about five years, having cheated a couple of times for new things like elk, pheasant, and other things…i don’t crave any of the things i have cut out.

however, when stuff like this comes out, i am often tempted…speaking of, did you ever weigh in on the chicken sandwich debate of a year or so ago?

so arby’s sometimes has fish?…had no idea.

i’ve been on a strictly pescatarian diet for about five years, having cheated a couple of times for new things like elk, pheasant, and other things…i don’t crave any of the things i have cut out.

however, when stuff like this comes out, i am often tempted…speaking of, did you ever weigh in on the chicken sandwich debate of a year or so ago?
I don't remember if I did or not, but I'm always up for a debate Surprised? It took me a while before I tried Popeye's but I had to admit it's one hell of a chicken sandwich. I still like Chick-fil-a and Bojangles and I'm happy with any of them. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch Zaxby's with a ten foot pole.

Arby's sometimes has a fish sandwich and I don't know the rhyme or reason behind the when of it...but it is easily the best fast food fish sandwich in my experience. I do have to ask them to not slather too much dressing/slaw on it. FF places seem to want to go crazy with the goo anymore.

ETA I've had both elk and pheasant as well. Both good but pheasant is really good.

I don't remember if I did or not, but I'm always up for a debate Surprised? It took me a while before I tried Popeye's but I had to admit it's one hell of a chicken sandwich. I still like Chick-fil-a and Bojangles and I'm happy with any of them. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch Zaxby's with a ten foot pole.

Arby's sometimes has a fish sandwich and I don't know the rhyme or reason behind the when of it...but it is easily the best fast food fish sandwich in my experience. I do have to ask them to not slather too much dressing/slaw on it. FF places seem to want to go crazy with the goo anymore.

ETA I've had both elk and pheasant as well. Both good but pheasant is really good.
i don’t believe it was on here, but definitely a national story.

it was popeyes vs chick-fil-a…iirc, popeyes ran out of chicken 😱

i don’t believe it was on here, but definitely a national story.

it was popeyes vs chick-fil-a…iirc, popeyes ran out of chicken 😱
oh yeah, I remember. They are very different and my take is I don't want to find myself having to choose one over the other because I like the variety.

And I remember weapons being drawn and minor riots taking place when Popeye's ran out. How can someone get so bent out of shape over not being able to get some non-essential something that never even existed before, especially when you can get basically the same thing elsewhere? Most people belong in zoos.

First of all, you wouldn’t have any idea who is qualified and who isn’t. No one who keeps repeating that line does. You poast on a message board so forgive me if I don’t consider you a constitutional expert.

Secondly, are we really doing the “he did it first” thing? lol.

I don’t give a shit who Biden wants to appoint. It doesn’t change the make up so I really couldn’t care less. But to announce that the qualifiers are gender and race, with the current racial environment being what it is, is gaslighting at worst and downright stupid at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT