ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the Final Outcome W-L

Against our brutal schedule, I’d be content with 7-5 and a bowl victory to finish 8-5. That would be big for recruiting.

BTW, no respect for UNC on the All-ACC Preseason Team. Then predicted 6th in the Coastal. More chalkboard fodder for the staff.

2019 All-ACC Preseason Football Team
(Total votes in parenthesis)

Offense
WR – Tee Higgins, Clemson (145)
WR – Justyn Ross, Clemson (123)
WR – Tamorrion Terry, Florida State (69)
TE – Brevin Jordan, Miami (66)
AP – Deon Jackson, Duke (47)
OT – Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson (100)
OT – Ben Petrula, Boston College (54)
OG – John Simpson, Clemson (136)
OG – Gage Cervenka, Clemson (45)
C – Sean Pollard, Clemson (75)
QB – Trevor Lawrence, Clemson (161)
RB – Travis Etienne, Clemson (144)
RB – AJ Dillon, Boston College (144)
Defense
DE – Xavier Thomas, Clemson (84)
DE – Alton Robinson, Syracuse (83)
DT – Marvin Wilson, Florida State (105)
DT – Nyles Pinckney, Clemson (49)
LB – Shaquille Quarterman, Miami (118)
LB – Isaiah Simmons, Clemson (109)
LB – Michael Pinckney, Miami (66)
CB – Bryce Hall, Virginia (122)
CB – A.J. Terrell, Clemson (62)
S – Andre Cisco, Syracuse (80)
S – Tanner Muse, Clemson (78)

Special Teams
PK – Andre Szmyt, Syracuse (88)
P – Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse (70)
SP – Maurice Ffrench, Pitt (48)

ACC Player of the Year
1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson – 127
2. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson – 24
3. AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College – 15
4. Bryce Perkins, QB, Virginia – 6
5. Cam Akers, RB, Florida State – 1

I'm expecting 5 or 6 and I'll be happy with 6, thrilled with 7. If the qb play is decent then 6 should be doable with all the nice offensive pieces.

Gotta beat Dook, gt, Mercer.
And three from the app, wake, Pitt, ncsu, VT group.

5-7, but I think 6-6 is possible. I'll be fine with either as long as we look competitive in the losses.

4-6 wins, 6-8 losses. As much as Mack has reinvigorated the program, it's worth remembering it was in shambles at the end of last season. The schedule isn't going to do us any favors either. My only wish for this season is that we stop beating ourselves. If we lose to a more talented team, so be it.

I’d bet that YAC allowed by the defense goes down(better tackling), and that stupid penalties also go down(better discipline), even though we’re learning a schemes. I expect a change to a more deliberate tempo and that should benefit our defense.

6-6 seems like a fair expectation, and should be considered a successful season especially if we beat our instate rivals. If we get solid QB play and the D get some good injury luck then 7-8 wins isn't out of the question. Less than 5 would be pretty disappointing.

I'm going with 7-5
7-5 would be excellent! Can the coaching staff take a team with talent, limited depth and a history of late game melt downs and turn them around in one off-season? We will probably be favored in 2 games a slight underdog in 3 and a significant underdog in 7. I thing five wins and try to steal number 6 is likely. Better get us the next couple of years as help is on the way!

better coaching will help but the schedule is brutal. 7-6 means a couple big upsets and ending the season well in a minor bowl game. i'll be happy with that.

Reactions: Raising Heel
The Coastal should be the weakest division in P5 football, but if both Miami and VT make fairly major strides, which is possible for each, then the Coastal could be very tough - because UVA will be sound all season and Pitt probably will be steady, and UNC should show flashes of very good things to come.

Our schedule is brutal. And we have a team coming off Bunting-level back to back catastrophes, which has to learn how to win, which includes learning how not to lose.

I think the safest bet would be that we finish the regular season 6-6.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I don’t think our schedule is that bad, it only looks that way bc we aren’t supposed to be very good. If we were a Top 25 team we’d be licking our chops expecting 10 or 11 wins. Clemson likely is the only game we’re double digit dogs, every other game is reasonably winnable.

Reactions: Etownheel
And if frogs had wings... At this point, we’re not top 50, maybe not even top75. So it is a brutal schedule for this team.

But no, it's really not. The coastal is awful. SCar and Wake are mediocre. We might only play one Top 25 team all year.

South Carolina has a brutal schedule. They play the preseason Top 3 teams, as well as @TAMU and @UF. They are looking at 4-5 no doubt, sure fire losses before they even get to the toss ups. We have one such game.

Sure it would be nice to trade say Wake and App for Toledo and Marshall, but the schedule is very manageable.

Every Coastal team but UNC made a bowl last season (6 teams). So did USCjr, Wake, App, Clemson, and Moo U (5 teams). That's every FBS team on our 2019 schedule.

And? Close to 70% of FBS teams play in a bowl that doesn’t really mean anything in a vacuum. Pitt won the coastal at 7-7 and was 61st in S&P+. No coastal team finished the top 25 of S&P+ (Miami was 27th) and none is projected to this year.

What is giving the illusion of difficulty is that a)there’s only one gimmie and b) our toughest opponents are early in the schedule. But the fact is there’s only one game that we have no shot to win. We will likely won’t be more than a TD dog in any game other than Clemson. That is not a difficult schedule. It’s not cakewalk schedule like VT or state, but it’s certainly not “brutal”.

6-6 seems like a fair expectation, and should be considered a successful season especially if we beat our instate rivals. The coastal is awful. SCar and Wake are mediocre. We might only play one Top 25 team all year.
So if 6-6 "should be considered a successful season" against an "awful Coastal Division", then we're either a downright bad football program right now or the schedule's pretty tough. Or maybe as you say the schedule really isn't very hard and we're just downright pitiful right now.

Based on last year's performance, the fact that we're learning new schemes on both sides of the ball, and the almost complete lack of experience at the crucial QB spot, I think we should be at least 17 point dogs to Clemson, and 10 point dogs to Miami and UVA. I won't be surprised if we lose all three of those games and we play all three at home.

Most of the relative tossup games(Wake, GT, VT, Pitt, and State) are all on the road. I think that's a very tough schedule for a team with as many major question marks as our team has. Being an optimist, I think we could end up 7-5 if everything falls our way. But that's a big if and it's predicated on my belief that we have a much better overall staff this year than last.

As stated above, more sound fundamentals, improved discipline, and better play calling are all things I expect to see this year, and the main reasons for my optimism.

5-7 if we act like UNC football. 11-1 if we catch lightning in a bottle.

And for a team that had only 1 FBS win each of the last two seasons, a schedule filled with bowl teams feels daunting. Obviously things change from one season to the next, but people are looking at things from the perspective of what we know about the last couple years. Obviously, it's not pretty.
Fedora gets 7+ easily with this team/schedule. Anything less from Mack will be a huyge disappointment

Reactions: Louigi and lerario
So if 6-6 "should be considered a successful season" against an "awful Coastal Division", then we're either a downright bad football program right now or the schedule's pretty tough. Or maybe as you say the schedule really isn't very hard and we're just downright pitiful right now.

Based on last year's performance, the fact that we're learning new schemes on both sides of the ball, and the almost complete lack of experience at the crucial QB spot, I think we should be at least 17 point dogs to Clemson, and 10 point dogs to Miami and UVA. I won't be surprised if we lose all three of those games and we play all three at home.

Most of the relative tossup games(Wake, GT, VT, Pitt, and State) are all on the road. I think that's a very tough schedule for a team with as many major question marks as our team has. Being an optimist, I think we could end up 7-5 if everything falls our way. But that's a big if and it's predicated on my belief that we have a much better overall staff this year than last.

As stated above, more sound fundamentals, improved discipline, and better play calling are all things I expect to see this year, and the main reasons for my optimism.
Wake is going to make the UNC game its in-season bowl.

We’ve won 5 games the past two years so no I don’t think we’re a very good football team right now, but could be playing much better by the end of the season. Any more brain busters?

Are you arguing that the costal isn’t really bad? It’s probably the worst P5 division in the country and I’m far from alone in that opinion.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
But no, it's really not. The coastal is awful. SCar and Wake are mediocre. We might only play one Top 25 team all year.

South Carolina has a brutal schedule. They play the preseason Top 3 teams, as well as @TAMU and @UF. They are looking at 4-5 no doubt, sure fire losses before they even get to the toss ups. We have one such game.

Sure it would be nice to trade say Wake and App for Toledo and Marshall, but the schedule is very manageable.
SoCar might get beat up by the SEC, but we play Game 1. SoCar will be fresh and ready to start the season well.

Wake circled the UNC game a long time ago. Wake loves beating UNC better than it loves anything short of winning the ACC..

App sees this game as one that can validate the program, because The University of North Carolina is that. App will make it a priority equal to winning the Sunbelt.

We are facing a load of teams coming off bowls, and over the past 2 seasons we managed 5 Ws. That is a lot to overcome. It can be done, but we need some luck.

It’s not the easiest schedule but it’s not a murder’s row either. Lots of winnable games.

Reactions: grillheel
We had a ton of injuries the last 2 seasons that get overlooked often. If we are even half as healthy we should do much better.

Reactions: grillheel
Fedora gets 7+ easily with this team/schedule. Anything less from Mack will be a huyge disappointment
Now that made me laugh. Last year’s schedule was easier, we had Holcomb who was our best defensive player, players familiar with our system on both sides of the ball, and could still only win 2 games.

Now that made me laugh. Last year’s schedule was easier, we had Holcomb who was our best defensive player, players familiar with our system on both sides of the ball, and could still only win 2 games.
Holcomb was not our best defensive player. It was Carney. I think Crawford would have been the best if healthy. We were down a mountain of players including QB and were in every game except Miami.

My post was in jest, but Fedora would still be here if not for the injury train that happened the last two years. I agree he had to go because recruiting was falling off the map.

Coaches Poll is out, no Coastal teams in the Top 25. Not unexpected, but still pretty damn embarrassing.

Coaches Poll is out, no Coastal teams in the Top 25. Not unexpected, but still pretty damn embarrassing.
That is the hole to be filled. If a UNC coach cannot show within 3 years that he can fill it, then fire him and take another shot.

Given that we would currently be considered a favorite in just 3 or 4 of the 12 games on the schedule (subject to change, if we play fairly well early and avoid the injury bug more so than our opponents)....6 - 6 (7 - 6 or 6 - 7 after a bowl game) would seem to be a VERY satisfactory result. 5 - 7 or 4 - 8 is probably more realistic, especially for those of us that prefer to not get our hopes too high early in Mack’s tenure. Personally, I will expect 4 - 8, and then be very happy with the season if we were to perhaps over achieve a tad and make it to 6 or 7 or even 8 wins.

Reactions: Raising Heel
That is the hole to be filled. If a UNC coach cannot show within 3 years that he can fill it, then fire him and take another shot.
3 years is a short leash. I do think you should be able to see marked improvement within that time frame. We’re already recruiting at a level we haven’t seen in several years.

As for on the field results, I’m looking more at fundamentals and discipline right now. If those improve, the wins will come. 6-6 would be a good regular season, anything more would be gravy all things considered.

Interesting reread. It's crazy how those first two wins changed expectations for this year. A lot of people went from hoping/wanting 5-6 wins, to being disappointed with 5-6 wins.

Reactions: franklin street
Interesting reread. It's crazy how those first two wins changed expectations for this year. A lot of people went from hoping/wanting 5-6 wins, to being disappointed with 5-6 wins.
True. We also looked at our schedule and thought it would be a lot tougher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT