ADVERTISEMENT

QB Competition...

lerario

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2006
How do you guys see it shaking out?

Ruder has ideal size and athleticism and his running ability sets him apart, but Howell seems to have a little bit of that Rustle Wilson/Baker Mayfield small-guy-playing-backyard-football-just-makes-things-happen kind of thing going on.

Fortin doesn’t seem to have the raw ability and upside of the other two but played against the best comp in HS and has the most experience.

I think Sam and Jace battle out through the first 3 or 4 games and Fortin transfers before the season.

Fortin can really spin it. He’s got serious arm talent. I can’t remember who it was against, but he dropped the ball into a very tight window on a wheel route and made it look easy. That’s a tough throw to make. That was the ball that convinced me he was the real deal.

IMO Ruder is the most complete of the three. He’s got arm strength to go with the running ability.

How do you guys see it shaking out?

Ruder has ideal size and athleticism and his running ability sets him apart, but Howell seems to have a little bit of that Rustle Wilson/Baker Mayfield small-guy-playing-backyard-football-just-makes-things-happen kind of thing going on.

Fortin doesn’t seem to have the raw ability and upside of the other two but played against the best comp in HS and has the most experience.

I think Sam and Jace battle out through the first 3 or 4 games and Fortin transfers before the season.
I love that Rustle guy.

Reactions: Archer2
Fortin proved he can execute, throw, and do a decent job scrambling in a nite-home game vs a really bad D (VT), and he was decent vs ncsu (peckers qb wasn't much better that rainy day).

And Fortin might have the quickest release, maybe fastest ball. On arm alone I'd roll Fortin out there first, but ultimately the decision-making ability of them will probably be the most important - gotta protect the ball and also avoid negative yardage from sacks or poor decisions.

I have no idea who it will be. I like Ruder because he seems to have that "it" factor, although I realize it's a small sample size. Howell might have an advantage since Mack recruited and brought him in. Sometimes coaches tend to favor the guy they brought in.

Reactions: amosmouzon
Howell will start
Why do you think so?

The offense was shown up rather badly by the D yesterday. Both Howell and Fortin played, and both had some difficulties. So if Ruder is back and looks good in the next scrimmage, I would think he will have moved into the lead.

Of course, within a week, all 3 QBs could seem to be torching the D.

Any more scrimmage news? The season is only 20 days out. Time is waning so we’d better get some issues ironed out pretty quickly.
The message that Mack is sending is that things are progressing well. So far, the D has looked better than the offense. Mack wants us to be glad of that because the D could have been a liability this year even if healthy. But he also wants us not to be pessimistic about the offense because he says that usually the D shows better early in Fall Camp.

I think this staff is calm and collected and confident that they are getting things through to the players, and they expect to see it coming together even better.

Quote from OC Phil Longo today:

“I think right now, leadership-wise, they’re all on the same page. Cade Fortin is probably our best pure passer. Jace Ruder might be the best overall athlete of the three, and Sam may be the best combination of the two. Maybe not as pure of a passer as Cade or as much of a runner as Jace, but he can do a little of both.”

Quote from OC Phil Longo today:

“I think right now, leadership-wise, they’re all on the same page. Cade Fortin is probably our best pure passer. Jace Ruder might be the best overall athlete of the three, and Sam may be the best combination of the two. Maybe not as pure of a passer as Cade or as much of a runner as Jace, but he can do a little of both.”

I'm trying to decipher whether that is just coachspeak or he is actually saying anything interesting. Kind of sounds like how a poster here would describe the QB situation.

My impression is the Bateman really has the defense fired up and excited. I think in a couple of years we’ll be very proud of them.
That and the work Hess is doing with Strength & Conditioning - we could see some very top level Ds at UNC again starting in 2020. And this year's D may surprise a bunch of people. It is too inexperienced and too thin to do that all season, but I think we'll see some very promising play.

I'm trying to decipher whether that is just coachspeak or he is actually saying anything interesting. Kind of sounds like how a poster here would describe the QB situation.
If you know QBs and then these 3, that is what you would have expected going into Spring and even Fall Camp. The key is will one of them step up definitely beyond the other two.

The less that happens, the more we need to play 2 QBs every game and keep the 3rd ready to go at any time, because it might be that 1 of this trio is going to be best against SoCar but need help from another QB to secure the W. And against Miami it could be the 3rd one who will do best against that D.

Nothing surprising in those comments except possibly for Howell being on the same level of leadership as Fortin and Ruder. Personally I still think Ruder is the most talented of the three.

It's a good problem to have, with 3 talented - albeit young and inexperienced - QBs. I expect we'll see all of them at various times but certainly its ideal that one emerges as the clear no. 1 so that our new offense can get some consistency. I have faith in Mack and his staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT