ADVERTISEMENT

Quixk stuff (IU game)...

Are either of those guys floor general types? From what I’ve read, they’re the new age PG looking to score first.
Cadeau is a LG supreme in that he looks to assist first, but is capable of scoring. Fland has a scorer's mentality and will look to score at any opportunity, but is also conscious of the other four on the court and does not mind sharing the ball. My pick would be Cadeau first, then Bland. What I would prefer is both, and that's possible from the reports I have gotten.

I love the idea of having two strong pg's on the court. Getting both would be a real coup but honestly at this point I would settle for a legit 3-star true pg. I was spoiled growing up with UNC as point guard U. My fear is that the top pg's look at UNC and see a team that does not run an offense as much as they just freelance it, and a coach who is allowing it to happen.

Cadeau is a LG supreme in that he looks to assist first, but is capable of scoring. Fland has a scorer's mentality and will look to score at any opportunity, but is also conscious of the other four on the court and does not mind sharing the ball. My pick would be Cadeau first, then Bland. What I would prefer is both, and that's possible from the reports I have gotten.
Amen ^

Something else we all need to understand...., there is a very important distinction between ("hearing" and "listening"). You can hear directions as an example, and then not follow them. On the other hand, when you "Listen", you are moved to action. In a short discussion in Portland with Roy, that's exactly what is happening, they are hearing instructions, but they are not listening, which is borne out by their continued Helter Skelter play
In your opinion, what does Hubert need to do in order to get these knuckleheads to actually listen to his instructions? Chew their butts out? Run them till they drop? Take the rims off the backboards? Sit them on the bench when they don’t do what they’ve worked on in practice? What’s the answer?

Was Brady Manek the difference?

Last year we talked a lot about our outside shooters making better spacing a reality. I haven't heard anyone say that even once this season.

Of course it isn't only Brady. RJ and Caleb were better from deep last season, too.

I know everybody says Pete isn't Brady. But, you know what? Maybe he needs to be. He often looks lost out there. Maybe someone should hand him some Brady videos and tell him to "Do that!"

We've all heard the announcers repeat that Hubert has told Pete to be his own man. Don't just try to blend in. Don't try to be Brady. How's that working for us?

Sure, it might not be where we want him to end up later on in the season, but it might just be what we need from him now. And that level of certainty and expectation might just be what he needs now, as well.

Can Pete actually do a good impression of Brady? I think he can, but we won't know unless/until someone asks him to.
I've said over and over again that Manek was the important player on last year's team. He just knew how to play. He was the most instinctual player on the team. He knew how to pick-and-pop, he knew how to relocate, he knew how to random cut. He just knew how to play offensive basketball.

I think his biggest asset was he could score more points than total dribbles he had in a game. And there's no player on the roster right now that can do that. I don't think Pete can be what Manek was. Manek was used to playing without the ball. He played with Trae Young early in the OU career. Manek knew how to play without the ball and understood cutting and angles.

In fairness, it took Manek a while to figure it out here too. Hopefully we figure it out by the end of the season. But the reality is this isn't the most talented roster. RJ's talent level is pretty mediocre to UNC standards. We all love Leaky because he's been here forever, but he's never going to be the best player on the floor. Pete's a solid player, but can't be your best player. And Armando is a big who's more reliant on good guard play. Caleb is the only legit NBA talent on this roster, but it's tough to have to depend on him being consistently solid. That's not who he is, that's never what he will be.

Here's the scary thing about this year's team IMO. We will be even more dependent on Caleb Love in March. I always thought this team will go as far as Caleb Love will take them. I thought that last year. This year, without Manek, I think Caleb is even more important.

Scary thought isn't it?

Those would be considerable pains. As per the times Seth has played there thus far, it hasn't been pretty. Here's what I would say: Going back to a motion offense would benefit whomever. For example, Coby White was in no way a true PG, but he played next to experienced guys in a Secondary-to-motion offense (with bunches o' set plays to alleviate decision-making), and we made it work.

It might sound counterintuitive, but at this point I might move Caleb to the 1 with the mission of being a facilitator first (which would endemically help his shot-selection), and get RJ moving off the ball (which he is quite capable of). Thing is, until we stop trying to initiate our offense off the dribble and 40 feet from the basket, that won't likely be enough.
Thanks

Reactions: gary-7
In your opinion, what does Hubert need to do in order to get these knuckleheads to actually listen to his instructions? Chew their butts out? Run them till they drop? Take the rims off the backboards? Sit them on the bench when they don’t do what they’ve worked on in practice? What’s the answer?
Archer, I think that it's probably going to take some more ass kicking's to get through.
I have said it several times that this year's team looks very familiar to the one we witnessed for 15 or so games last year and it took embarrassing losses to gain their attention.

Those who want to pile on the coaching staff need to back off as nothing has changed in the coaching department other than a new offensive look, but that's not the issues plaguing this team. Selfishness, along with a lack of effort and focus, just as it was last year. These guys evidently don't think shit stinks until their noses get rubbed in it. Certainly, will be interesting going forth as we get into league play.

Archer, I think that it's probably going to take some more ass kicking's to get through.
I have said it several times that this year's team looks very familiar to the one we witnessed for 15 or so games last year and it took embarrassing losses to gain their attention.

Those who want to pile on the coaching staff need to back off as nothing has changed in the coaching department other than a new offensive look, but that's not the issues plaguing this team. Selfishness, along with a lack of effort and focus, just as it was last year. These guys evidently don't think shit stinks until their noses get rubbed in it. Certainly, will be interesting going forth as we get into league play.
Unfortunately, I concur. Some people have to learn things the hard way, I guess. I know I had to learn some hard lessons.

Reactions: Tarheel75

75, respect your opinion and always enjoy your comments......
You say to not pile on the coaches and you say nothing has changed eccept for a new offensive look?
Well the offense is abysmal and ectremely hard to watch. It is NOTHING I grew up watching and enjoying. It is limited in how many players are involved, and overloaded to acquiesce to our " Most talented" players, that are both struggling and somewhat selfish.
The inflexibility of the staff is what bothers me the most. They continue to ramrod this offense early on with very little success.

Those would be considerable pains. As per the times Seth has played there thus far, it hasn't been pretty. Here's what I would say: Going back to a motion offense would benefit whomever. For example, Coby White was in no way a true PG, but he played next to experienced guys in a Secondary-to-motion offense (with bunches o' set plays to alleviate decision-making), and we made it work.

It might sound counterintuitive, but at this point I might move Caleb to the 1 with the mission of being a facilitator first (which would endemically help his shot-selection), and get RJ moving off the ball (which he is quite capable of). Thing is, until we stop trying to initiate our offense off the dribble and 40 feet from the basket, that won't likely be enough.
Damn Gary I have be preaching the same thing….why not let RJ thrive at the 2 spot….that’s who he is…..let Love be the playmaker….the logic is that Davis said he wants him to lead the ACC is assist….well put your money where your mouth is….Love is competitive enough and stubborn enough to do it.

They played physical, but it dirty. I think a lot of teams could learn from that intensity. The refs let them play physical and they did. I wish our guys played with more intensity.

Getting beat and manhandled didn’t mean it was thuggish.
I live in Indiana, and for years Hoosier fans would moan and cry about hiw Rick Pitinos teams played defense ( foul multyple times per possession because officials become numb to it) now all of Hoosier nation is loving the fact that they have finnally began to play that way themselves.
That was a Championship calibre defense in the mold of Texas Tech and Tenn in recent years, but I believe IU will have a more difficult time of scoring come later in the year. They are getting a lot of points off their defense right now, but all teams get better at taking care of the ball by Feb/ Mar and IU will need to start generating their own offense. They don't have knock down shooters, and things will be tougher in postseason.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
75, respect your opinion and always enjoy your comments......
You say to not pile on the coaches and you say nothing has changed eccept for a new offensive look?
Well the offense is abysmal and ectremely hard to watch. It is NOTHING I grew up watching and enjoying. It is limited in how many players are involved, and overloaded to acquiesce to our " Most talented" players, that are both struggling and somewhat selfish.
The inflexibility of the staff is what bothers me the most. They continue to ramrod this offense early on with very little success.
Tarwhiz...., Ifeel ya pain. The offense we are playing is an NBA type of offense and for it to be successful it has to be rather precise when you do not have the optimal personnel running it. That much is evident just watching them trying to run it. The offense that we see is a good one and like I mentioned, can be devastating if you have the correct personnel to run it. The problems, which there are several, is learning how to run it effectively, and that's been a big failure to date. Keep in mind though that what we are seeing now is almost an exact reflection of what we saw last year, and it took over half the season before the team gained traction. It is tough to let patience be a guide, but that would be my recommendation.

They played physical, but it dirty. I think a lot of teams could learn from that intensity. The refs let them play physical and they did. I wish our guys played with more intensity.

Getting beat and manhandled didn’t mean it was thuggish.
The refs actually called a lot more of it than I thought they would, so they weren't the issue. I just draw the line on respect when it gets past just "physical" or "intense", which it did here way too often, and turns into shortcuts for good basketball.

Stagnant offense and never try to get the ball to Bacot or make plays for him. He should be getting 20/10 every night.

Nance in the starting lineup isn’t working. He’s not a 4 man. He’s a 5 that gives other 5’s trouble with his quickness and perimeter shot. But he isn’t quick enough or have good enough movement without the ball to be a valuable 4 man.

Puff isn’t the answer at the 4 either. Puff is a solid 6th man but nothing more. We miss Manek badly.

You said it’s not on the coaching staff. Ok, so who is to blame that a lead guard isn’t on the roster? That is 100% on the coaching staff. Hubert chose Seth as his pg, plain and simple.
I find it funny that we was to give them credit when it goes good but not when it goes bad!

Tarwhiz...., Ifeel ya pain. The offense we are playing is an NBA type of offense and for it to be successful it has to be rather precise when you do not have the optimal personnel running it. That much is evident just watching them trying to run it. The offense that we see is a good one and like I mentioned, can be devastating if you have the correct personnel to run it. The problems, which there are several, is learning how to run it effectively, and that's been a big failure to date. Keep in mind though that what we are seeing now is almost an exact reflection of what we saw last year, and it took over half the season before the team gained traction. It is tough to let patience be a guide, but that would be my recommendation.
My concern is that the returning players are playing the exact same way they did this time last year. Learning curve for new coach with new system should be done in my opinion. Granted there are some new pieces being integrated but that does not explain the dysfunction in the backcourt with Caleb and RJ.

This one of the most experienced teams UNC had in several years and may be the most experienced team Huber ever coaches. I am not saying they should be in February form already but they should not be playing as if they have never been on the court together.

The 2016-17 team opened the season playing very well and focused. (A bit of optimistic foreshadowing - that team also lost at IU in the big 10 challenge) While those guys had hiccups along the way they played hard and together. I just do not see the chemistry on the court that is needed to play dep into March.

My concern is that the returning players are playing the exact same way they did this time last year. Learning curve for new coach with new system should be done in my opinion. Granted there are some new pieces being integrated but that does not explain the dysfunction in the backcourt with Caleb and RJ.

This one of the most experienced teams UNC had in several years and may be the most experienced team Huber ever coaches. I am not saying they should be in February form already but they should not be playing as if they have never been on the court together.

The 2016-17 team opened the season playing very well and focused. (A bit of optimistic foreshadowing - that team also lost at IU in the big 10 challenge) While those guys had hiccups along the way they played hard and together. I just do not see the chemistry on the court that is needed to play dep into March.
That’s because Mr. Stiff Nance is in the way and RJ is at point refusing to move the ball

As I have told several on this board, patience is indeed a virtue when you are dealing with team chemistry. It's not there yet, and yes there are many similarities to the team last year. That can be a good thing, or it can be a bad thing depending on whether we see positive results going forth. Just an FYI, could be more headscratchers ahead, just like last year. Experience is a major plus for the team, but, as we have seen, experience alone doesn't win games, the right player chemistry does.

Is it that our guards aren't moving the ball or is it that their passing targets aren't getting open? I'm getting a little tired of all the blame being heaped on RJ's shoulders and I think we need to recognize that he does, in fact, look to pass. But who's open?

We all know that neither RJ nor Caleb (nor Seth nor D'Marco) are true PGs. It's the hand we have and we need to play it better.

If you aren't getting open, then Caleb or RJ is going to force a shot.

Seems to me that signifies at least 2 things that need to be fixed:

1. How do we get the other guys open more so our guards can pass to them?

2. If RJ and Caleb are going to shoot, how about running some plays for them so they aren't forcing those shots so often?

We're in sort of a Catch-22. If RJ and Caleb start hitting more from deep - which they are both perfectly capable of doing - and especially if Pete/Puff/Leaky can do the same more than they are now, then that should improve spacing, right? But to get defenders out of the grills of Caleb and especially RJ (since he seems more the target and also more bothered by it) then the other guys need to make themselves available and hit their shots.

That’s because Mr. Stiff Nance is in the way and RJ is at point refusing to move the ball
No sir, that is not correct, the problem I see is that players are being left in games that need to be pulled out and refocused. A player is going to play, he is going to do what HE THINKS is best. If a coach allows a player that is making bad decisions to continue to play then that coach is the guy to blame. Simple as don't discipline your kids and you get spoiled kids that do what ever they want while YOU apologize for them. Hubert needs to use his bench to send the message to his starters and he has not done that. I like Hubert but in this situation, it is what it is

As for don't pile on this coaching staff, well why not? If what I have been saying is considered piling on it is not right because I am simply a mirror, I discuss what I see. A mirror is not wrong, it is just a reflection of what is seen. This coaching staff, Hubert, they are well rewarded for their efforts, very well rewarded. Just that this UNC job is not all cookies and cream, it is one of the hardest jobs in the college ranks because the expectations will always be a challenge, you follow in the Steps of Dean and Roy, those are HUGE foot steps to have to walk in. The fan base piling on a coach and his staff is just going to happen when wins become unexplainable losses, there is no acceptable excuse or reason this team has 3 losses in a row now.

Reactions: Archer2
Is it that our guards aren't moving the ball or is it that their passing targets aren't getting open? I'm getting a little tired of all the blame being heaped on RJ's shoulders and I think we need to recognize that he does, in fact, look to pass. But who's open?

We all know that neither RJ nor Caleb (nor Seth nor D'Marco) are true PGs. It's the hand we have and we need to play it better.

If you aren't getting open, then Caleb or RJ is going to force a shot.

Seems to me that signifies at least 2 things that need to be fixed:

1. How do we get the other guys open more so our guards can pass to them?

2. If RJ and Caleb are going to shoot, how about running some plays for them so they aren't forcing those shots so often?

We're in sort of a Catch-22. If RJ and Caleb start hitting more from deep - which they are both perfectly capable of doing - and especially if Pete/Puff/Leaky can do the same more than they are now, then that should improve spacing, right? But to get defenders out of the grills of Caleb and especially RJ (since he seems more the target and also more bothered by it) then the other guys need to make themselves available and hit their shots.
I will disagree on Trimble not being a PG but agree with the rest. In my opinion Trimble is much more a real PG than a 2 and in my opinion we would be more effective running him as our primary PG. Not going to happen (this season), well be really shocked if it did, RJ has the PG role on lock down and Caleb wants to show the NBA he can run the point. So when Trimble does come in the game he is stuck as a 2 and that just is not his game. In time folks will start to see to see what I am talking about.

Trimble strikes me as our more prototypical 2 we had in Jackie Manuel and such. Good defender who doesn't score much. This becomes redundant as a role with Leaky on the floor though.

There’s a song called you I move you move.
Our 3, 4 and 5 guys are like statues….standing there not moving.
Manek was constant motion. Just him moving..other guys had to move either setting screens for him or just getting the he’ll out of his way.
HD want the guards to initiate the offense by dribbling…..not passing the ball around….when you dribble more time is ticking off the clock. Now if You can’t give Bacot the ball….the guards will shoot.

I will disagree on Trimble not being a PG but agree with the rest. In my opinion Trimble is much more a real PG than a 2 and in my opinion we would be more effective running him as our primary PG. Not going to happen (this season), well be really shocked if it did, RJ has the PG role on lock down and Caleb wants to show the NBA he can run the point. So when Trimble does come in the game he is stuck as a 2 and that just is not his game. In time folks will start to see to see what I am talking about.
D, he's really not, and being candid, it was pretty doggone apparent from his HS/AAU film. And, he has in fact run the 1 on several possessions this season, but as much as he tries to do as he's been coached, it just doesn't come naturally. It's mostly Nate-Britt-Syndrome all over again --- dribbling into no-man's land instead of moving the defense and creating passing lanes. Just like our other Combos, he is gonna have to learn by rote, and that is a slowwww process. Now, to your point, he can't be any worse at it than RJ, but.... o_O

D, he's really not, and being candid, it was pretty doggone apparent from his HS/AAU film. And, he has in fact run the 1 on several possessions this season, but as much as he tries to do as he's been coached, it just doesn't come naturally. It's mostly Nate-Britt-Syndrome all over again --- dribbling into no-man's land instead of moving the defense and creating passing lanes. Just like our other Combos, he is gonna have to learn by rote, and that is a slowwww process. Now, to your point, he can't be any worse at it than RJ, but.... o_O
AS you know gary, I just strongly disagree but you know the cool thing about sports is that the issue is always decided on the court or the field of play. It is OK with me if I am the only UNC fan in the country that looks at the kid as I do , I fully believe everyone will come around to my view point in time.

Love Hubert's recent interviews. He has said the essence of current practices are player movement and ball movement (instruction, walk thru, drill, live action). His opinion of the current problem is not in simplicity of the sets(easily prepared for) but the execution of the sets. The players also need to step up, execute, and match the physicality the opponents are bringing.

Im hoping someone on this board knows the answer to this question concerning last years team. How did Manek become so skilled at movement and positioning to create open looks for his shots that led Carolina to a championship nite? One might surmise Manek figured it out, himself. Or if the staff engineered Maneks movement, would not Nance be getting freed up at a highly more consistent rate. Either way Manek figured it out and thats history. Time to get Nance moving.

Last edited:
Execution and attention to detail is huge and would help this team greatly.. imo this team sets horrible screens because they just rush to get where they need to be and just go through the motions. There is an art to setting and properly using screens but you have to be patient and know how to set up the defender. I thought Portland’s ability to set good screens is what allowed them to stay in the game

Reactions: Lewis&Miller
I’d love to see us push the ball and try to score before the defense is set. Whether on a rebound or a score. Constantly putting pressure on the defense! This team shouldn’t struggle to score!

Was Brady Manek the difference?

Last year we talked a lot about our outside shooters making better spacing a reality. I haven't heard anyone say that even once this season.

Of course it isn't only Brady. RJ and Caleb were better from deep last season, too.

I know everybody says Pete isn't Brady. But, you know what? Maybe he needs to be. He often looks lost out there. Maybe someone should hand him some Brady videos and tell him to "Do that!"

We've all heard the announcers repeat that Hubert has told Pete to be his own man. Don't just try to blend in. Don't try to be Brady. How's that working for us?

Sure, it might not be where we want him to end up later on in the season, but it might just be what we need from him now. And that level of certainty and expectation might just be what he needs now, as well.

Can Pete actually do a good impression of Brady? I think he can, but we won't know unless/until someone asks him to.
Brady and the rest of the offense weren't that good this time last year, so I don't think it's just due to the one personnel change.

Love Hubert's recent interviews. He has said the essence of current practices are player movement and ball movement (instruction, walk thru, drill, live action). His opinion of the current problem is not in simplicity of the sets(easily prepared for) but the execution of the sets. The players also need to step up, execute, and match the physicality the opponents are bringing.

Im hoping someone on this board knows the answer to this question concerning last years team. How did Manek become so skilled at movement and positioning to create open looks for his shots that led Carolina to a championship nite. One might surmise Manek figured it out, himself. Or if the staff engineered Maneks movement, would not Nance be getting freed up at a highly more consistent rate. Either way Manek figured it out and thats history. Time to get Nance moving.
I would LOVE for Hubert to spend a good bit of time watching (I know I am going to butcher this teams name but not out of disrespect) Bellermine? Little tiny school that I did not know about until they starting this season playing duke, Ky, and UCLA. They simply do not have the level of athlete to beat teams like that but watching them play is beautiful. While they play a version of a pac man defensively their player and ball movement on the offensive end is like a symphony playing together. So often the ball in half court does not touch the court, very little dribbling on their part and the ball just does not stick in 1 guys hands. On offense, their players do not stand around, they are constant motion, it is catch, pass, cut and move, it is constant motion (not random, orchestrated movement), the complete and total opposite in every imaginable way from what you see from our offense. I can't help but wonder what such an offense would look like with serious D-1 athletes like we have that have the mindset to execute it?

I would LOVE for Hubert to spend a good bit of time watching (I know I am going to butcher this teams name but not out of disrespect) Bellermine? Little tiny school that I did not know about until they starting this season playing duke, Ky, and UCLA. They simply do not have the level of athlete to beat teams like that but watching them play is beautiful. While they play a version of a pac man defensively their player and ball movement on the offensive end is like a symphony playing together. So often the ball in half court does not touch the court, very little dribbling on their part and the ball just does not stick in 1 guys hands. On offense, their players do not stand around, they are constant motion, it is catch, pass, cut and move, it is constant motion (not random, orchestrated movement), the complete and total opposite in every imaginable way from what you see from our offense. I can't help but wonder what such an offense would look like with serious D-1 athletes like we have that have the mindset to execute it?
It looked pretty good when Dean's teams did it, and Roy's first few at Kansas were great running the Carolina passing game.

I have watched most of 2 of Bellermine's games, and parts of another. They are 2-6 including losing by 21 to Loyola Marymont. They are getting paid to play the big boys but have been losing by 20 or so to them as well. The only close game was to hapless Louisville and they won that one as part of their 2 wins. My point is you make due with what you have, their reality is different then teams with better talent and the offense and defense has to try to hide it and is limited. They are not having surprising success though at any level of competition.

UNC does need to move the ball much better, I agree, and as many have stated it is all about the lack of a good ball handling point man. If teams can dictate the ball you are in trouble. If Caleb/RJ/Seth whoever can begin to handle mostly 1 on 1 extended ball pressure with a dribble, quickly, we eviscerate over extended half court defenses. They improved last year, as they were attacked even more then this year early and were even worse dealing with it early.

The Bellermine offense concedes they will have problems handling ball hawking dee, and avoids it out of necessity. We need to not allow individual defenders to get all up and into whoever is initiating for us. Attack with the dribble, quickly, make them pay at a disadvantage at that point, avoid the BS side to side easily steered dribbling.

By the way watching the IU game as they get dominated by Rutgers. I would much rather be in our position as a team this year then them. They will struggle offensively. Going to be hard for them to find a way on that end. We have solutions to what ails us.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Pete Nance is just not the answer at our four spot. I am not comparing him to Brady either. He hasn’t gelled with the team yet. Hubert is killing the team with his questionable coaching decisions. Everything from offense sets, free lance, defense, rotations, lack of rotation, development and plays drawn up for last second shots or even throwing the ball inbounds. Breaking presses. It was also mind boggling how he didn’t press Indiana from the 16 minute mark in the second half until the end of the game. Everything that this team is doing is labored. Nothing has come easy from shots, free throws, boxing out, rebounds, defense and overall efficiency on offense and defense. Since game one this team seems to be playing for themselves as individuals. No one is getting the team together as leaders and trying to light a fire under them. Guys walk to the bench, half ass huddle during free throws. No one is thanking the passer (no assists anyway), it seems small but it isn’t. No one is talking and communicating. To have Pete Nance try to gather the other players together is sad. They need a George Lynch, Joel Berry type of a leader. But once again Hubert is to blame right now because just like is very questionable offensive and defensive sets he has let the starters get away with subpar play and when he puts subs in now they are not comfortable because their confidence has been hurt by this mismanagement of rotating players. I hope that Hubert switches our offensive sets and starts to utilize our bench. I am shocked by our lack of production on offense. I thoroughly thought that our defense this year was going to help create so many opportunities on offense due to our overall talent. Hopefully Jalen Washington can help at the four spot. This helped sum it up for me in which a number one ranked team is ahead by 7 points with 3 and a half minutes to go and their supposed best player turns it over 3 times in a row. We end up losing that game and then drop a 4 overtime game to Alabama and the team drops all the way to 18. Those are two coin flip losses and we tumble that far. Point being that the pollsters are seeing what we have seen since game one. They know that this team is not very good at the moment. We kept telling ourselves that it was early in the year and we have to have time to gel. That’s absolutely true to a certain degree but our players are not making our other players better around them. They played Indiana with no heart, fire or passion. They should have been ticked off and been the aggressor but they were passive. Once again Hubert and this Team are making simple things more difficult. This team is weak and they are playing like they all have different jerseys out there on the floor instead of one team one in North Carolina. It looks like pure street ball right now. Until Hubert makes a change in his coaching this is only going to get worse. I still love my guys but they are very hard to watch right now. No one is playing together.

Pete Nance is just not the answer at our four spot. I am not comparing him to Brady either. He hasn’t gelled with the team yet. Hubert is killing the team with his questionable coaching decisions. Everything from offense sets, free lance, defense, rotations, lack of rotation, development and plays drawn up for last second shots or even throwing the ball inbounds. Breaking presses. It was also mind boggling how he didn’t press Indiana from the 16 minute mark in the second half until the end of the game. Everything that this team is doing is labored. Nothing has come easy from shots, free throws, boxing out, rebounds, defense and overall efficiency on offense and defense. Since game one this team seems to be playing for themselves as individuals. No one is getting the team together as leaders and trying to light a fire under them. Guys walk to the bench, half ass huddle during free throws. No one is thanking the passer (no assists anyway), it seems small but it isn’t. No one is talking and communicating. To have Pete Nance try to gather the other players together is sad. They need a George Lynch, Joel Berry type of a leader. But once again Hubert is to blame right now because just like is very questionable offensive and defensive sets he has let the starters get away with subpar play and when he puts subs in now they are not comfortable because their confidence has been hurt by this mismanagement of rotating players. I hope that Hubert switches our offensive sets and starts to utilize our bench. I am shocked by our lack of production on offense. I thoroughly thought that our defense this year was going to help create so many opportunities on offense due to our overall talent. Hopefully Jalen Washington can help at the four spot. This helped sum it up for me in which a number one ranked team is ahead by 7 points with 3 and a half minutes to go and their supposed best player turns it over 3 times in a row. We end up losing that game and then drop a 4 overtime game to Alabama and the team drops all the way to 18. Those are two coin flip losses and we tumble that far. Point being that the pollsters are seeing what we have seen since game one. They know that this team is not very good at the moment. We kept telling ourselves that it was early in the year and we have to have time to gel. That’s absolutely true to a certain degree but our players are not making our other players better around them. They played Indiana with no heart, fire or passion. They should have been ticked off and been the aggressor but they were passive. Once again Hubert and this Team are making simple things more difficult. This team is weak and they are playing like they all have different jerseys out there on the floor instead of one team one in North Carolina. It looks like pure street ball right now. Until Hubert makes a change in his coaching this is only going to get worse. I still love my guys but they are very hard to watch right now. No one is playing together.
It starts with the PG and RJ just can’t run this team. Please for the Love of God please put Love back at the point….please baby baby please!

By the way watching the IU game as they get dominated by Rutgers. I would much rather be in our position as a team this year then them. They will struggle offensively. Going to be hard for them to find a way on that end. We have solutions to what ails us.
Teams still have letdown games after beating us. Maybe one for the pride department!

Reactions: dtodd4475
Teams still have letdown games after beating us. Maybe one for the pride department!
Agreed, but that is the 6th straight loss IU has to Rutgers, not sure if it was a "let down" entirely. Hood-Schifino did not play and he is basically their only shot creater on the perimeter. They are going to have a VERY ROUGH time scoring consistently this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT