ADVERTISEMENT

Quixk stuff (IU game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and the hopes I put forth in the preview thread went completely unrealized.

- First off, this is NOT your father's Indiana team of sharp-sharp-shooters. This is a thuggish Big-10 bunch that'll foul you for breathing --- 2-hand shoves and then cry to the ref when it gets called --- so you better be STRONG with the ball, SNATCH rebounds and FINISH thru (a lotta) contact. They're also gonna be all over your arms with every dribble, so Guards especially have to maintain SPACE, and you sure as hell can't dribble into no-man's land, and you sure as hell can't be putting your head down and expecting to get a layup.

- Folks, Mando is hurting, in several places it appears, but hurt or not, we're doing him no favors with this redundant high-post / high-screen nonsense or expecting him to work from a mid-post entry --- and certainly not LATE entries. Bilas remarked that Bacot needs to get the ball earlier, well duh!... I've been exhorting the TV screen with that admonition all damn season.

- From the very first possession it was just glaring. there's a loose ball that pops out to RJ, which afforded the op to attack and get the ball to the post, instead he dribbles into a defender and turns it over. Seth plays point and dribbles into no-man's land and turns it over. Caleb plays point and dribbles to who-knows-where and fires up a brick. Everyone here repeat after me: WE DO NOT HAVE A PG ON THE ROSTER. And I'm gonna say it --- that mark left from missing on Jaden Bradley looks like a bigger scar every day.

- So, the last thing you wanna do is have a bunch o' non-PGs dribbling and dribbling and dribbling. And Hubert, I love ya, brother, but this whole approach HAS JUST GOT TO STOP. I mean, did we even have an Assist? Guards dominating the ball and shooting off the bounce is NOT a recipe for success. Period.

- And on defense, this bunch was the PERFECT opponent to scramble on. Instead of half-assing it, if you wanna double, then drop down a real trap in 42 and rotate to thwart the kick-out.

- Finally --- and I really hope someone on the staff is reading this --- with best of intentions, y'all are shooting yourselves in the foot right now. Perhaps Dean's greatest invention was the Secondary Break, and Hubert, my man, you're choking it right now. Having the first Big down stop outside the arc to set a damn screen for a dribbling Guard??? Good Lord, NO. Just NO, NO, NO! That litttle move absolutely KILLS the advantage and allows the defense to recover and once again force us into yet another possession of perimeter wanking.

Anyway, y'know, I'm gonna give the players credit for keeping this game in reach. However, it's past time for a big ol' dose of self-scouting by the STAFF. Every one of y'all has lived and played Carolina basketball. What you have the guys doing now?... welp, it barely resembles that. Simple but true. So there it is... are ya going to keep doing the same things and expecting different results?... or come to grips with the hazards of unwisely trying to reinvent the wheel?... :oops:

Last edited:
Rough game. The defense was unable to stop IU from getting into the paint at will. So many easy layups and 5-7 foot jumpers or hooks. Totally agree we should have doubled TJD on the catch (UVA style), no one could guard him 1-on-1. And I know it's mostly due to his lack of size, but RJ just gets beat so frequently it makes it hard on D.

I don't think the offensive scheme is the problem, just needs to be executed better. We had the #11 offense in the country last year with the same guards. UK, Villanova, and dook run similar offenses and have had plenty of success with them. Caleb is forcing too many shots and he, RJ, Nance, and Bacot have too many sloppy turnovers for upperclassmen. They don't have quick ball movement, yet (hoping that can get ironed out). Don't know why you're bringing up Jaden Bradley, he's got more turnovers than assists this year. Hasn't been that good and often plays off-ball to Quinerly. I'd much rather have Love as a junior than Bradley right now if Love can tighten things up a bit.

This just doesn't look like Carolina basketball.
To be honest, last year didn't either. Yeah, I like everyone else got caught up with the " Hot streak" but I know I yelled " That is a terrible shot" after more makes last season, than all my years of watching Carolina combined.

...and the hopes I put forth in the preview thread went completely unrealized.

- First off, this is NOT your father's Indiana team of sharp-sharp-shooters. This is a thuggish Big-10 bunch that'll foul you for breathing --- 2-hand shoves and then cry to the ref when it gets called --- so you better be STRONG with the ball, SNATCH rebounds and FINISH thru (a lotta) contact. They're also gonna be all over your arms with every dribble, so Guards especially have to maintain SPACE, and you sure as hell can't dribble into no-man's land, and you sure as hell can't be putting your head down and expecting to get a layup.

- Folks, Mando is hurting, in several places it appears, but hurt or not, we're doing him no favors with this redundant high-post / high-screen nonsense or expecting him to work from a mid-post entry --- and certainly not LATE entries. Bilas remarked that Bacot needs to get the ball earlier, well duh!... I've been exhorting the TV screen with that admonition all damn season.

- From the very first possession it was just glaring. there's a loose ball that pops out to RJ, which afforded the op to attack and get the ball to the post, instead he dribbles into a defender and turns it over. Seth plays point and dribbles into no-man's land and turns it over. Caleb plays point and dribbles to who-knows-where and fires up a brick. Everyone here repeat after me: WE DO NOT HAVE A PG ON THE ROSTER. And I'm gonna say it --- that mark left from missing on Jaden Bradley looks like a bigger scar every day.

- So, the last thing you wanna do is have a bunch o' non-PGs dribbling and dribbling and dribbling. And Hubert, I love ya, brother, but this whole approach HAS JUST GOT TO STOP. I mean, did we even have an Assist? Guards dominating the ball and shooting off the bounce is NOT a recipe for success. Period.

- And on defense, this bunch was the PERFECT opponent to scramble on. Instead of half-assing it, if you wanna double, then drop down a real trap in 42 and rotate to thwart the kick-out.

- Finally --- and I really hope someone on the staff is reading this --- with best of intentions, y'all are shooting yourselves in the foot eight now. Perhaps Dean's greatest invention was the Secondary Break, and Hubert, my man, you're choking it right now. Having the first Big down stop outside the arc to set a damn screen for a dribbling Guard??? Good Lord, NO. Just NO, NO, NO! That litttle move absolutely KILLS the advantage and allows the defense to recover and once again force us into yet another possession of perimeter wanking.

Anyway, y'know, I'm gonna give the players credit for keeping this game in reach. However, it's past time for a big ol' dose of self-scouting by the STAFF. Every one of y'all has lived and played Carolina basketball. What you have the guys doing now?... welp, it barely resembles that. Simple but true. So there it is... are ya going to keep doing the same things and expecting different results?... or come to grips with the hazards of unwisely trying to reinvent the wheel?... :oops:
Spot on Gary- as usual. This core group didn’t start playing well until late last year, and hasn’t played well this year. I contend that we don’t value the basketball. Very sloppy play. Bench is not developing, so guys play sloppy with no repercussions. The Carolina Way has to be incorporated.

Reactions: gary-7 and Archer2
The hard on ball pressure in the half court totally stymied RJ & Caleb much like the Tennesee and Kentucky games early last year. Didn't turn it over as much today as those, although two very bad untimely live ball turnovers were absolute killers, but the inability to start offense was nearly as bad. Plenty of work to be done once again or the heat will be turned up by every opponents backcourt.

Road game to kick off the ACC this weekend. We will see how they handle another tough environment. One good thing is it is only now turning the page to December, and they have very recent experience overcoming adversity and figuring it out. Plenty of work ahead.

Reactions: gary-7
Spot on Gary….HD could just be stubborn like Roy.

They killed us in the paint. Our guards had another rough night shooting….Leaky went scoreless….and Bacot was hurt

Are we sure Hubert can coach? Aside from the lighting in a bottle run last year he was pedestrian at best. I think he relates to players well enough and they seem to respect him but when it comes down to X and O can he hold his own. Something just doesn’t feel right with this team as other have stated. RJ and Caleb looks like their might be tension. Armando hasn’t been the same. Maybe it’s time to really shake up the rotation. Hubert just depending on 7 guys is not good enough. Give nickel and styles some run, hopefully Washington can come back soon and be a factor. This team needs some sort of spark , before this season gets away from them. And losing at a top 10 Indiana team is not a bad loss by any means it’s just the way they lost is what concerns you

Are we sure Hubert can coach? Aside from the lighting in a bottle run last year he was pedestrian at best. I think he relates to players well enough and they seem to respect him but when it comes down to X and O can he hold his own. Something just doesn’t feel right with this team as other have stated. RJ and Caleb looks like their might be tension. Armando hasn’t been the same. Maybe it’s time to really shake up the rotation. Hubert just depending on 7 guys is not good enough. Give nickel and styles some run, hopefully Washington can come back soon and be a factor. This team needs some sort of spark , before this season gets away from them. And losing at a top 10 Indiana team is not a bad loss by any means it’s just the way they lost is what concerns you
The problem is that RJ can’t run the offense. I thought it started with the point guard?

Can't give the ball to Armando inside the arc earlier. Whenever you do the possession is over. Whether he makes it, misses, or dribbles off his leg going to the basket. He almost never passes back out if he has nothing.

Reactions: gauchoheel
You tell them Gary....

Hello all, been away following the team since last week. Gotta say, it was not a pleasant experience...., at all.

I have said several times that watching these guys play brings back memories of
last year's team, and in many respects, they are the same, just with several different additional players. I would like to mention the worn out cliche " it's early" and to date, this group simply has not found itself nor have they shown the FOCUS & EFFORT that I constantly bitched about over the first half of last season. And remember this...., they looked that way with Brady Manek as well, so don't use that as reason why this team is playing so poorly. It's the current play on both sides of the ball, and it's not the coaching staff..., it's all laying in this team's collective lap.

Gary has mentioned to you guys...., no, hell...., he's preached it from the mountain tops, that there is not LG on this team. We are running our point with 2 players who are 2- Guards exclusively and another 2-guard coming off the bench trying to imitate a LG. Last year, this worked out with RJ & Caleb, but not so much this year. I echo what Gary is preaching...., in order for us not to be a team that looks like it has some broken or worn-out parts and is on the verge of a breakdown at any moment, our guards have to do a much better job with ball control and facilitating as it's creating confusion on the players part and stalling the offense flow by over dribbling and taking too many bad and or, forced shots.

With a great basketball team, it starts and ends with defense. Good defensive play promotes offense, and we are horrid right now with our defense. We can, and I expect, that we will see better defense played in the VERY near future.

I also think that the 5-out offensive sets are not working. I, like Gary, bemoan the fact that we have shied away from the secondary break, but that's a discussion for another day. The 5-out offense worked much better with Nance at the top of the key when Bacot was out. The reason being, Bacot cannot dribble and chew gum at the same time, nor can he take more than 1 or 2 dribbles before committing a T/O. So, after saying this, I have to ask..., WTF business does Bacot have setting up at the top of the key, where, once the ball is in his hands, he does the same thing over and over. He starts a dribble and looks spastic doing it and loses control of the dribble or has it taken from him. He is simply not capable of those kinds of offensive moves; he is simply not coordinated enough to do dribble drives.

Armando is playing with a sore ankle, and he got a stinger to his right shoulder early in the game last night, so you have to go just a little easy with his criticisms and Irregardless, he has certain limitations in his game that needs to be addressed.

Like most, I want to see more bench development. Puff played his ass off last night and none should have any fear when he is inserted to the line-up. Dunn is coming along and will be an acceptable replacement at guard(s). Trimble is making mistakes but, at least they are the mistakes of aggression, and that's a good thing, as he will continue to develop and get better over time. Nickel has the normal freshmanitis and will mellow out soon. The X-Factor is Washington, and we should see him most likely at the next home game. I don't think the staff wants to play him against VT.

With exam week here, I will be interested to see how the team plays. Usually and historically, we have not played well coming off exams.

There is still plenty of time to get corrections made on both sides of the ball. The key will be on the defensive side of the ball. If you can remember back to last season, the team really took off when they decided to play defense. I have nothing much more to add other than this team's guard's refusals to share the ball and take 60% of the shots ain't gonna work. Go take a look at the assists in the games from Portland on and see what the cumulative stats are for assists. Tells me that sharing the ball is not being done. Sharing is caring guys, and it appears at most times our guards don't care.

Last note: Let's all hope that we can get either Fland or Cadeau, or BOTH to commit, and that will be a godsend for the team starting next year.

Edit to add: I wanted to mention something that might have escaped you. Our competitors have plenty of film to watch regarding RJ, Love & Bacot and it is very evident that these teams are getting up and in the jerseys of Caleb & RJ, and double teaming Bacot. Armando is a black hole, and most all the time a ball that comes into him never sees the light of day until the other team has taken it from him, he over or under shoots the basket and the ball is going the other way. Bacot himself has said that his play has sucked so far this year. Know what? I agree with him. The guards are taking too many shots and are not looking to move the ball around the perimeter to create better shot selections. All of this has to be corrected.

Last edited:
Can't give the ball to Armando inside the arc earlier. Whenever you do the possession is over. Whether he makes it, misses, or dribbles off his leg going to the basket. He almost never passes back out if he has nothing.
I’ve been saying the same thing. Can’t have an inside out offense when the ball don’t come back out.

But commentators keep saying get the ball inside but when Bacot insist on trying to score over three people…the commentators never point it out.

Many liked HD's hire and staff for keeping it in the family. It's his 2nd year. He is obviously tinkering with the system and not sticking with what we know works. A hybrid approach is fine to play with, given how the game is evolving. But whatever it is that he is doing isn't working. That to me is a glaring issue. And also giving that the team as a whole did little in the off season.

Maybe the NIL donations need to cease till they pull their heads out their posterior.

Seasons young, and everything can gel quickly. Just takes all of the above to get on the same page

Reactions: Tarheelsman71
I am dumbfounded by our poor play and lack of effort. My expectations for this season are shot to hell.
lf these guys returned to Carolina to ”run it back”, then what’s taking so long for such experienced players
to figure out that other teams have dissected our half-court offensive sets and can defend them.
At what point do adjustments get implemented? When do guys who are not performing sit next to Coach
Davis? When will we play multiple defensive schemes throughout a game to keep our opponents from
driving to the hole to score or shooting wide open threes?
To be honest, and l love how we finished last year (especially effing up Ratface’s coronation twice),
but if Armando and Caleb and RJ think that NBA scouts are interested in their current levels of effort, production,
and attitude, they are just flat out wrong. STOP AUDITIONING AND PLAY FOR THE TEAM.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
I am dumbfounded by our poor play and lack of effort. My expectations for this season are shot to hell.
lf these guys returned to Carolina to ”run it back”, then what’s taking so long for such experienced players
to figure out that other teams have dissected our half-court offensive sets and can defend them.
At what point do adjustments get implemented? When do guys who are not performing sit next to Coach
Davis? When will we play multiple defensive schemes throughout a game to keep our opponents from
driving to the hole to score or shooting wide open threes?
To be honest, and l love how we finished last year (especially effing up Ratface’s coronation twice),
but if Armando and Caleb and RJ think that NBA scouts are interested in their current levels of effort, production,
and attitude, they are just flat out wrong. STOP AUDITIONING AND PLAY FOR THE TEAM.

This team has looked exactly like I stated after 2 games - that they were pre-destined for the Final Four and they were just going to go through the motions until that time. It's disappointing that Hubert has allowed that mindset. He has not blocked out all the outside noise and he has allowed these guys to think they are better than they are and entitled to another championship run. I can't fault the players but so much. They're young and dumb kids. It's the nature of youth to act as they are. You rely on coaching to make sure this doesn't happen.

39, I yelled the same thing at the above mentioned players last night as well. Fustrating for us and it must be frustrating as heck for the team.

Based on the past few performances I can see why everyone came back and didn't declare for the draft. Nance and Bacot were outmatched down low. RJ and Caleb looked like they were playing pick-up at the Y. I'm glad we didn't get completely blown out ... that shows a little bit of promise ... but goodness gracious that was ugly. I agree with you 39 Feet ... I don't see any NBA prospects on our roster right now ... despite what coach Davis says.

They are trying to run an offense like last year with Nance. Nance is not Manek. Manek was constant motion. So he made it easy to move the ball around. Nance is stiff. Nance is a great guy but the chemistry is all wrong with him in the starting lineup. Puff should start. Bring Nance off the bench.

Also move RJ over to the 2 and Love to the 1. It’s not all the coaches fault that the offense is sluggish. We were barely beating mid-major teams……It starts with the point guard. Love is a better playmaker.

It's true. And TJD put on a perfect display of how/when to kick it out. Wouldn't think it was so difficult for a senior.

Reactions: Archer2
Pure garbage right now. In the 3 losses RJ and Caleb took 115 of the 200 shots. UNC has 5 guys who have already played over 250 minutes and of the rest none have over 100.

5 assists for a game? That may be the most un-Carolina like stat I have ever seen. This team shows zero chemistry on the floor. They got hot at the right time last season but they do not have the mental toughness to be the hunted. I really miss the teams that played together with a purpose, and if you tried to bully them they would get pissed and kick into a higher gear.

This team has no identity and does nothing well consistently. The talent is absolutely there to make another FF run but the "want to" is nowhere to be found.

Rough game. The defense was unable to stop IU from getting into the paint at will. So many easy layups and 5-7 foot jumpers or hooks. Totally agree we should have doubled TJD on the catch (UVA style), no one could guard him 1-on-1. And I know it's mostly due to his lack of size, but RJ just gets beat so frequently it makes it hard on D.

I don't think the offensive scheme is the problem, just needs to be executed better. We had the #11 offense in the country last year with the same guards. UK, Villanova, and dook run similar offenses and have had plenty of success with them. Caleb is forcing too many shots and he, RJ, Nance, and Bacot have too many sloppy turnovers for upperclassmen. They don't have quick ball movement, yet (hoping that can get ironed out). Don't know why you're bringing up Jaden Bradley, he's got more turnovers than assists this year. Hasn't been that good and often plays off-ball to Quinerly. I'd much rather have Love as a junior than Bradley right now if Love can tighten things up a bit.
For the umpteenth time, the offensive scheme has been scouted, and that was inevitable. And as for Bradley. Oats is an idiot, and in fact shouid be a case in point of what NOT to do. Look at Quinerly's shooting numbers Sunday from all that dribble/iso crap. Worse than Caleb's.

Reactions: Kadyn930
The hard on ball pressure in the half court totally stymied RJ & Caleb much like the Tennesee and Kentucky games early last year. Didn't turn it over as much today as those, although two very bad untimely live ball turnovers were absolute killers, but the inability to start offense was nearly as bad. Plenty of work to be done once again or the heat will be turned up by every opponents backcourt.

Road game to kick off the ACC this weekend. We will see how they handle another tough environment. One good thing is it is only now turning the page to December, and they have very recent experience overcoming adversity and figuring it out. Plenty of work ahead.
...and VaTech can flat SHOOT the rock.

Reactions: Kadyn930
It not only gives him a better chance of success, it forces the defense to react and move their eyes, and opens up kick-outs, which of course means his teammates have to be in motion and available, and yes, he has to be willing to pass out and repost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Edit to add: I wanted to mention something that might have escaped you. Our competitors have plenty of film to watch regarding RJ, Love & Bacot and it is very evident that these teams are getting up and in the jerseys of Caleb & RJ, and double teaming Bacot. Armando is a black hole, and most all the time a ball that comes into him never sees the light of day until the other team has taken it from him, he over or under shoots the basket and the ball is going the other way. Bacot himself has said that his play has sucked so far this year. Know what? I agree with him. The guards are taking too many shots and are not looking to move the ball around the perimeter to create better shot selections. All of this has to be corrected.
75, I really want everyone to read the part bolded above. What the staff did last season was a "scheme", not a system, and any scheme can be (and WILL be) rather easily scouted. And our opponents are attacking our Guards exactly the way I would. And as you said, we are even more vulnerable without a Floor General (try gong after Joel Berry like that and see what happens). So yeah, not only do we NEED Cadeau, I hope he reclasses and comes here next Fall --- it cannot be soon enough.

And amen on Mando. Using him above the paint for ANYTYHING is like putting tits on a boar-hog (sorry, I'm a country boy ;)).

Anyway, welcome back, brother, and yeah, I'm sure that was not the most pleasant trip... :oops:

I’ve been saying the same thing. Can’t have an inside out offense when the ball don’t come back out.

But commentators keep saying get the ball inside but when Bacot insist on trying to score over three people…the commentators never point it out.
Grover, I can attest that when your Guards don't share the ball, it creates a mentality amongst the other guys of "welp. I'd better shoot cuz I sure won't touch it again anytome soon"... and that feeds upon itself. One of the coaches' mantras is "give it up to get it back". Well, the first part has to start somewhere,, and that's typically your backcourt. In other words, there's blame to go around.

I wish there was way to compare the number of dribbles per game so far this season with some of the games where Coach Smith ran four corners almost the entire game.. Maybe some of these guys' NIL $ is based on how much they possess the ball.

Grover, I can attest that when your Guards don't share the ball, it creates a mentality amongst the other guys of "welp. I'd better shoot cuz I sure won't touch it again anytome soon"... and that feeds upon itself. One of the coaches' mantras is "give it up to get it back". Well, the first part has to start somewhere,, and that's typically your backcourt. In other words, there's blame to go around.
I agree Gary…..but I’m more talking about when he’s doubled and tripled team…he still tries to muscle through everyone.

Having the first Big down stop outside the arc to set a damn screen for a dribbling Guard??? Good Lord, NO. Just NO, NO, NO! That litttle move absolutely KILLS the advantage and allows the defense to recover and once again force us into yet another possession of perimeter wanking.
I agree. On the other hand, neither Bacot nor Nance has the hands you can trust to reel in the long pass under the basket. That's just my gut feeling, so feel free to set me straight if that's wrong.

You know what I mean. Justin Jackson or Tyler Zeller streaks down the floor, the long pass hits him right as he gets to the rim and he puts it in as he flys out of bounds. Do we have anyone with hands that good on this team?

Somebody handled one of those passes a few games back and I found myself thinking "Jeez, that's the first time I've seen that this year!" I wish I could remember who it was (at both ends).

When do we expect Washington to be ready? Can he do that?

Do we have anyone who can pass that well? I mean he doesn't have to be Kendall Marshall, but he has to be more consistent than Caleb or RJ. They have both made some spectacular passes, for sure, but their accuracy too often leaves something to be desired. How about Leaky or Seth or D'Marco? Any reliably good passers there? Frankly, some of the best passes I've seen this year have come from Nance, but we sure don't want him dribbling very much.

Right there is the major issue we have, right there!

"it creates a mentality amongst the other guys of "welp. I'd better shoot cuz I sure won't touch it again anytome soon".."

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
You tell them Gary....

Hello all, been away following the team since last week. Gotta say, it was not a pleasant experience...., at all.

I have said several times that watching these guys play brings back memories of
last year's team, and in many respects, they are the same, just with several different additional players. I would like to mention the worn out cliche " it's early" and to date, this group simply has not found itself nor have they shown the FOCUS & EFFORT that I constantly bitched about over the first half of last season. And remember this...., they looked that way with Brady Manek as well, so don't use that as reason why this team is playing so poorly. It's the current play on both sides of the ball, and it's not the coaching staff..., it's all laying in this team's collective lap.

Gary has mentioned to you guys...., no, hell...., he's preached it from the mountain tops, that there is not LG on this team. We are running our point with 2 players who are 2- Guards exclusively and another 2-guard coming off the bench trying to imitate a LG. Last year, this worked out with RJ & Caleb, but not so much this year. I echo what Gary is preaching...., in order for us not to be a team that looks like it has some broken or worn-out parts and is on the verge of a breakdown at any moment, our guards have to do a much better job with ball control and facilitating as it's creating confusion on the players part and stalling the offense flow by over dribbling and taking too many bad and or, forced shots.

With a great basketball team, it starts and ends with defense. Good defensive play promotes offense, and we are horrid right now with our defense. We can, and I expect, that we will see better defense played in the VERY near future.

I also think that the 5-out offensive sets are not working. I, like Gary, bemoan the fact that we have shied away from the secondary break, but that's a discussion for another day. The 5-out offense worked much better with Nance at the top of the key when Bacot was out. The reason being, Bacot cannot dribble and chew gum at the same time, nor can he take more than 1 or 2 dribbles before committing a T/O. So, after saying this, I have to ask..., WTF business does Bacot have setting up at the top of the key, where, once the ball is in his hands, he does the same thing over and over. He starts a dribble and looks spastic doing it and loses control of the dribble or has it taken from him. He is simply not capable of those kinds of offensive moves; he is simply not coordinated enough to do dribble drives.

Armando is playing with a sore ankle, and he got a stinger to his right shoulder early in the game last night, so you have to go just a little easy with his criticisms and Irregardless, he has certain limitations in his game that needs to be addressed.

Like most, I want to see more bench development. Puff played his ass off last night and none should have any fear when he is inserted to the line-up. Dunn is coming along and will be an acceptable replacement at guard(s). Trimble is making mistakes but, at least they are the mistakes of aggression, and that's a good thing, as he will continue to develop and get better over time. Nickel has the normal freshmanitis and will mellow out soon. The X-Factor is Washington, and we should see him most likely at the next home game. I don't think the staff wants to play him against VT.

With exam week here, I will be interested to see how the team plays. Usually and historically, we have not played well coming off exams.

There is still plenty of time to get corrections made on both sides of the ball. The key will be on the defensive side of the ball. If you can remember back to last season, the team really took off when they decided to play defense. I have nothing much more to add other than this team's guard's refusals to share the ball and take 60% of the shots ain't gonna work. Go take a look at the assists in the games from Portland on and see what the cumulative stats are for assists. Tells me that sharing the ball is not being done. Sharing is caring guys, and it appears at most times our guards don't care.

Last note: Let's all hope that we can get either Fland or Cadeau, or BOTH to commit, and that will be a godsend for the team starting next year.

You said it’s not on the coaching staff. Ok, so who is to blame that a lead guard isn’t on the roster? That is 100% on the coaching staff. Hubert chose Seth as his pg, plain and simple.

You said it’s not on the coaching staff. Ok, so who is to blame that a lead guard isn’t on the roster? That is 100% on the coaching staff. Hubert chose Seth as his pg, plain and simple.
So why not go with Seth and deal with the growing pains?

Fair question: The answer is that no true PG in the last class wanted to commit. You can't hold a gun to a prospects head and make them commit. When looking at our roster, the PG's simply chose to go elsewhere due to who we had on the roster. Let's just hope we can get one of Bland or Cadeau. I would like both, but we have to have one going into next season, as this year it is what is, so to speak.

Something else we all need to understand...., there is a very important distinction between ("hearing" and "listening"). You can hear directions as an example, and then not follow them. On the other hand, when you "Listen", you are moved to action. In a short discussion in Portland with Roy, that's exactly what is happening, they are hearing instructions, but they are not listening, which is borne out by their continued Helter Skelter play

Last edited:
Fair question: The answer is that no true PG in the last class wanted to commit. You can't hold a gun to a prospects head and make them commit. When looking at our roster, the PG's simply chose to go elsewhere due to who we had on the roster. Let's just hope we can get one of Bland or Cadeau. I would like both, but we have to have one going into next season, as this year it is what is, so to speak.

Are either of those guys floor general types? From what I’ve read, they’re the new age PG looking to score first.

Reactions: Heelicious
We had the #11 offense in the country last year with the same guards.
Was Brady Manek the difference?

Last year we talked a lot about our outside shooters making better spacing a reality. I haven't heard anyone say that even once this season.

Of course it isn't only Brady. RJ and Caleb were better from deep last season, too.

I know everybody says Pete isn't Brady. But, you know what? Maybe he needs to be. He often looks lost out there. Maybe someone should hand him some Brady videos and tell him to "Do that!"

We've all heard the announcers repeat that Hubert has told Pete to be his own man. Don't just try to blend in. Don't try to be Brady. How's that working for us?

Sure, it might not be where we want him to end up later on in the season, but it might just be what we need from him now. And that level of certainty and expectation might just be what he needs now, as well.

Can Pete actually do a good impression of Brady? I think he can, but we won't know unless/until someone asks him to.

So why not go with Seth and deal with the growing pains?
Those would be considerable pains. As per the times Seth has played there thus far, it hasn't been pretty. Here's what I would say: Going back to a motion offense would benefit whomever. For example, Coby White was in no way a true PG, but he played next to experienced guys in a Secondary-to-motion offense (with bunches o' set plays to alleviate decision-making), and we made it work.

It might sound counterintuitive, but at this point I might move Caleb to the 1 with the mission of being a facilitator first (which would endemically help his shot-selection), and get RJ moving off the ball (which he is quite capable of). Thing is, until we stop trying to initiate our offense off the dribble and 40 feet from the basket, that won't likely be enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT