ADVERTISEMENT

Radar Offer Board--Updated 4/27/20

I find myself wondering why some of the kids we have offered have lots of predictions and some none at all. It's not that early in the season, and most of them are fairly high-ranked so they aren't being overlooked. Are kids that age really that good at keeping secrets?

Most predictions:

Cade Cunningham - 18 picks, all to OK St.
Isaiah Todd -12 picks, 6 to UK, 2 to us
Walker Kessler - 10 picks, 8 to Duke

Fewest predictions:

Caleb Love - 0 picks
Earl Timberlake - 0 picks
Dawson Garcia - 2 picks
Hunter Dickenson - 2 picks, both Notre Dame
RJ Davis - 2 picks, both Pitt

Reactions: TheGLOV
FWIW, Springer seems like an awfully cocky kid. Maybe that's why Roy was slow to offer, and maybe we've been dropped as more of a mutual thing. I have no clue, just pure speculation.

FWIW, Springer seems like an awfully cocky kid. Maybe that's why Roy was slow to offer, and maybe we've been dropped as more of a mutual thing. I have no clue, just pure speculation.
As I said in another post, a little swagger is good, too much can be a problem. I agree that Springer looks cocky. Then again he plays well enough to feel a bit cocky. Hard to tell whether it's too much.

If his attention drifts back our way, I'd still be interested in having him on board.

I don't think Roy was enamored with Springer. But I think he felt obligated to offer a schollie for a in-state kid for relationship purposes. And I think this really rankled Springer who was enamored with us. So Roy slow played him and then has been somewhat on the sideline with Jaden's recruitment. And I think all of this was intentional by Roy so Springer would end up going elsewhere and Roy could still create the perception that he wanted the in-state kid

That is crazy. He just decided to go another direction. We didn't recruit someone for the giggles. Yinz are making excuses for losing a recruit. Not every recruit wants to come to UNC and that is okay.

That is crazy. He just decided to go another direction. We didn't recruit someone for the giggles. Yinz are making excuses for losing a recruit. Not every recruit wants to come to UNC and that is okay.

He wanted very badly to come to Carolina. He had said that repeatedly. Roy slow played him and he got his feelings hurt. There is no disputing that Roy didn't offer early. My guess is that Roy didn't love him for whatever reason (attitude, fit, desire, etc.) but knew that it would be a bad look if he didn't offer a 5 star, in-state prospect that had stated publicly many times that he wanted to play at Carolina. No one is making excuses.

He wanted very badly to come to Carolina. He had said that repeatedly. Roy slow played him and he got his feelings hurt. There is no disputing that Roy didn't offer early. My guess is that Roy didn't love him for whatever reason (attitude, fit, desire, etc.) but knew that it would be a bad look if he didn't offer a 5 star, in-state prospect that had stated publicly many times that he wanted to play at Carolina. No one is making excuses.
At very least the kid really wanted us to recruit him but I really never saw him as a great fit because I am not sold he would have brought us what we may lack?

First I see Springer as a combo but more a 2, more of a slasher scorer than knockdown jump shooter. Considering we have Ant as a true frosh an d Platek, IMO we need a more athletic guy than Platek and a knock down jump shooter and that to me is either Bryce or Puff (I like Puff more as a 3 so I want them both as knockdown jump shooters).

Well let’s hope we get Thompson. Otherwise I don’t really understand not wanting Springer? Must’ve been something quite big behind the scenes, because he looks quite good on the court.

Reactions: DeuceManJones
Well let’s hope we get Thompson. Otherwise I don’t really understand not wanting Springer? Must’ve been something quite big behind the scenes, because he looks quite good on the court.

Agree. Springer is a stud. There is something behind the scenes that we just don't know about. Oh well, next up..

Reactions: gauchoheel
We wanted Springer. He chose otherwise. All college hoop fans of every team act like the guy passed over in a courtship, " she's ugly anyway, didn't really like her, you know I heard she is - fill in the blank".

Reactions: gauchoheel
We wanted Springer. He chose otherwise. All college hoop fans of every team act like the guy passed over in a courtship, " she's ugly anyway, didn't really like her, you know I heard she is - fill in the blank".

I agree that happens with regularity in all fan bases. But you can’t deny that Roy (and other coaches) prioritize certain guys over other guys. If Roy is recruiting 10 guys and he goes to see 9 of them twice a week but only checks in with you through text every blue moon, you’ll get the picture real quick that your offer may have only been a back up plan to a back up plan.

I agree that happens with regularity in all fan bases. But you can’t deny that Roy (and other coaches) prioritize certain guys over other guys. If Roy is recruiting 10 guys and he goes to see 9 of them twice a week but only checks in with you through text every blue moon, you’ll get the picture real quick that your offer may have only been a back up plan to a back up plan.
I just find it funny how after a recruit chooses elsewhere, fan bases respond that they are privy to the conversations and the coaches texting practices, etc. and that the early full offer really wasn't solid, just a backup. If Springer wanted to say yes to UNC right now, Roy would of been thrilled.

A early offer is an early offer. I feel no need to spin it, he is choosing elsewhere, and he is not the only fish in the pond we are pursuing.

He had an offer, late or not, and didn't commit, so he must not have wanted to come to UNC all that badly.

He had an offer, late or not, and didn't commit, so he must not have wanted to come to UNC all that badly.

This exactly. Some people need to realize where recruiting has been at lately. We miss more often than not. Springer wasn’t as high on UNC as we thought.

I just find it funny how after a recruit chooses elsewhere, fan bases respond that they are privy to the conversations and the coaches texting practices, etc. and that the early full offer really wasn't solid, just a backup. If Springer wanted to say yes to UNC right now, Roy would of been thrilled.

A early offer is an early offer. I feel no need to spin it, he is choosing elsewhere, and he is not the only fish in the pond we are pursuing.
Yep, completely agreed. I chuckle as we rationalize the misses just as much as every other fan base does.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Roy was in to see the DeMatha boys, Earl Timberlake and Hunter Dickinson this morning.

I’m really looking forward to Oct 11 when Earl Timberlake and RJ Davis will be on campus, getting one or both would be great adds as they both project to be multi-year guys that will eventually fit into the mold of experienced talent that Roy loves to have. I have also read that they are very good friends as well.

I am a little bit surprised that Ziaire wasn’t the first recruit that Roy visited as soon as the open period started. And since he still hasn’t made his way out west, I wonder if he will visit Greg Brown and Ziaire soon on the same trip.

White Plains NY yesterday, D.C. this morning, burning up the jet Roy? :eek::cool:

I would hope even if say 5 oad told Roy they want to come he would say no .in two years tight now roster is Francis and Williams .if one of those two don't make full recovering we are in trouble thus important to get at least two this year and more the following?

I would hope even if say 5 oad told Roy they want to come he would say no .in two years tight now roster is Francis and Williams .if one of those two don't make full recovering we are in trouble thus important to get at least two this year and more the following?

You would deny 5 of NBA's lottery pick who want to be a tar heel? Is you high

So . . . Kerwin visits this weekend.

Does he commit?

Do we want him to commit, or do we want him to hold off until we hear from Bryce?

Offer Board

2020 (18 offers)
Bryce Thompson--OV Sept 6-8
Caleb Love --OV Sept 13-15 --committed to UNC
Walker Kessler--OV Sept 20-22--committed to UNC
Isaiah Todd--UV--Sept 20-22

Greg Brown --UV Sept 27-29
Cade Cunningham--OV Sept 27-29

Day ‘Ron Sharp--OV Sept 27-29--committed to UNC
Ziaire Williams--OV Sept 27-29

RJ Davis--OV Oct. 11-13--committed to UNC
Kerwin Walton--OV Oct 25-27
Puff Johnson--OV Nov. 1-3
Transfer Portal

Earl Timberlake-- cancelled scheduled OV
Isaiah Todd--eliminated UNC
Hunter Dickinson-eliminated UNC
Dawson Garcia--eliminated UNC
Jaden Springer-- cancelled scheduled OV
DJ Steward--Committed to Duke
Jeremy Roach--Committed to Duke
Cam 'Ron Fletcher--Committed to Kentucky

2021 (2 offers)
Paolo Banchero OV Sept 27-29

Patrick Baldwin

We need the 3 covered. IMO, yes, Roy has put the information before the players we are recruiting, as some said, first in....we may still know something before we hit November.
If no one opts then Arch's final commit could be following Puff's visit, and it could be that very week-end. Go Heels!

Reactions: Archer2
I find myself wondering why some of the kids we have offered have lots of predictions and some none at all. It's not that early in the season, and most of them are fairly high-ranked so they aren't being overlooked. Are kids that age really that good at keeping secrets?

Most predictions:

Cade Cunningham - 18 picks, all to OK St.
Isaiah Todd -12 picks, 6 to UK, 2 to us
Walker Kessler - 10 picks, 8 to Duke

Fewest predictions:

Caleb Love - 0 picks
Earl Timberlake - 0 picks
Dawson Garcia - 2 picks
Hunter Dickenson - 2 picks, both Notre Dame
RJ Davis - 2 picks, both Pitt

I see two wrong picks already.

Offer Board

2020 (18 offers)

Transfer Portal

Earl Timberlake-- cancelled scheduled OV
Isaiah Todd--eliminated UNC

Hunter Dickinson-eliminated UNC
Dawson Garcia--eliminated UNC

Jaden Springer-- cancelled scheduled OV

2021 (2 offers)

Patrick Baldwin

Springer = Tenn.

Updated...

Offer Board

2020 (18 offers)

Transfer Portal

Earl Timberlake-- Cancelled scheduled OV
Isaiah Todd--Committed to Michigan
Hunter Dickinson-Eliminated UNC
Dawson Garcia--Eliminated UNC
Jaden Springer-- Committed to Tennessee

2021 (2 offers)

Added "2021" On The Radar feature.

Good probability that Roy offers Kennedy Chandler in the near future,

2021 (On The Radar)
Khristian Lander
Efton Reid
Roosevelt Wheeler
Michael Foster
Kennedy Chandler

Word is that both Walton and Ziaire may wait until the Spring to commit to a team. Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT