ADVERTISEMENT

Records and Asterisks?

Old_School59

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Rolesville NC
Not trying to start a war by any means but I think the questions warrants discussion.

How is everyone with asterisks for breaking resords playing 5 years, versus a player who only played 3, or even 4 seasons. Whichever was allowed by the NCAA at the time their records were set?

All time Double Doubles as an example of a 3 vrs 5 Cunningham/Bacot
All time Rebounds as an example of a 4 vrs 5 Hansbrough/Bacot?

Bacot is one of my all time favorite Heels, and he most certainly deserves the records he has set, yet he did it with 1 and 2 extra years.
Thoughts?

This is Bacot’s senior season (4 years)
You are right! Where did I get this was his 5th Covid year from? I’m blaming the grandchild on this one. At my age all these years kind of blend together LOL.
Having said that I will correct myself and ask about him breaking records set in only 3 years.
Sorry about that!

No asterisk was put on older records such as Phil Ford that only played 3 years due to rule that fr couldn't play back then. Additionally there aren't asterisks besides players that hold records that turned pro early.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
You are right! Where did I get this was his 5th Covid year from? I’m blaming the grandchild on this one. At my age all these years kind of blend together LOL.
Having said that I will correct myself and ask about him breaking records set in only 3 years.
Sorry about that!
I think we all hope this is up for discussion while Bacot plays that 5th year.😉😀

No asterisk was put on older records such as Phil Ford that only played 3 years due to rule that fr couldn't play back then. Additionally there aren't asterisks besides players that hold records that turned pro early.
Phil played 4 years. His class was the first freshman allowed to play.

Reactions: r_u_worthy
Read an article the other day that informed me that Pete Maravich's scoring record came in only 3 years of NCAA play. 83 total games. He not only averaged over 44ppg, but no player has ever accumulated more NCAA career points. Insane.
For those saying Caleb Love has the Greenest light in Carolina history.......
If you look up "Green light" in the dictionary, there is a picture of Pete Maravich with and ice bag on his right arm and a beer in his left hand.😂

For those saying Caleb Love has the Greenest light in Carolina history.......
If you look up "Green light" in the dictionary, there is a picture of Pete Maravich with and ice bag on his right arm and a beer in his left hand.😂
I watched Pete Maravich play please don't compare love with pistol pete, he could shoot the ball and could handle it too, I like love but shooting 20 something percent as love continues to do and taken all those shots we can't mount a run at a championship, I hope he works it out ,just a minor Improvement every game from love no telling where we could finish!

I watched Pete Maravich play please don't compare love with pistol pete, he could shoot the ball and could handle it too, I like love but shooting 20 something percent as love continues to do and taken all those shots we can't mount a run at a championship, I hope he works it out ,just a minor Improvement every game from love no telling where we could finish!
Dude, nobody is comparing Love to Pistol in reality. Just making mention that Pete had the greenest of green lights in history.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We already had this discussion. Everything Bacot does in 4 years, is good. If he plays a 5th year, I think his records all deserve asterisks and should be discounted towards totals. (And should be reverted to the 4th year totals). The reason is that it's a one off and not a rule going forward change. No one else going forward will have the same ability to do so as he does.

I think the records should be set more to per game average as opposed to over all numbers. That way, no matter how many games records are set in it is fair for guys that played 3yrs or guys that played 5.

From his own lips Bacot stated in a interview I saw yesterday that it is very doubtful he leaves UNC after this season, indicating he is very likely to play next season as well. His doing that would make the rebounding record pretty much untouchable because kids that may be able to challenge it leave the college game before they can get anywhere close. The college game is a game by game deal anyway, I mean what means more, your game average for the season or how you score in the game you are about to play? What if a kid comes in and averages 30 rebounds a game for us and 30pts, pretty darn impressive and deserves to be acknowledged for that work.

Bacot and Hansbourgh it is equal up, both played 4 full seasons for UNC but Billy doing what he did in just 3 seasons should not be over looked should not be seen as second place in the DD discussion when you consider how many fewer games Billy had to set the record. So yes, there is a * needed and what Bacot has done should as well not be diminished.

I don't think one great season should outweigh 4 great seasons that averaged just a little less.

It's the one off covid exception that isn't the standard going forward that is the issue here.

I think the records should be set more to per game average as opposed to over all numbers. That way, no matter how many games records are set in it is fair for guys that played 3yrs or guys that played 5.

From his own lips Bacot stated in a interview I saw yesterday that it is very doubtful he leaves UNC after this season, indicating he is very likely to play next season as well. His doing that would make the rebounding record pretty much untouchable because kids that may be able to challenge it leave the college game before they can get anywhere close. The college game is a game by game deal anyway, I mean what means more, your game average for the season or how you score in the game you are about to play? What if a kid comes in and averages 30 rebounds a game for us and 30pts, pretty darn impressive and deserves to be acknowledged for that work.

Bacot and Hansbourgh it is equal up, both played 4 full seasons for UNC but Billy doing what he did in just 3 seasons should not be over looked should not be seen as second place in the DD discussion when you consider how many fewer games Billy had to set the record. So yes, there is a * needed and what Bacot has done should as well not be diminished.
Can you share a link to that interview David? This would be pretty big news for him to say this publicly in Jan. I have not seen anything about this before reading your comments here.
Please share a link or source I can research.

Can you share a link to that interview David? This would be pretty big news for him to say this publicly in Jan. I have not seen anything about this before reading your comments here.
Please share a link or source I can research.
I don't have the link, it was a pod cast with Childress, Henson, and that kooky "reporter" Jeff Goodman that does the pod, I watched it on youtube. Bacot joined the pod from his hotel room in Syracuse. I think it is the field of 68 pod cast but don't quote me on that.

I just went back and found it again, not sure if it is OK to post the link per board rules but just search Field of 68 pod and it is the one with Henson and Childress with Goodman. They talk to Bacot and they talked to the Baylor coach after his team beat Kansas.

Last edited:
Absolutely no asterisk as it diminishes the accomplishment. A record is a record. However, after each player, the number of games played to set the record could be displayed in parentheses.
I like the games played idea. Or maybe a percentage of games played.

IIRC Cunningham set his double-double record of 60 in 69 games. Hard to imagine anyone beating that percentage.

Reactions: Old_School59
I don't have the link, it was a pod cast with Childress, Henson, and that kooky "reporter" Jeff Goodman that does the pod, I watched it on youtube. Bacot joined the pod from his hotel room in Syracuse. I think it is the field of 68 pod cast but don't quote me on that.

I just went back and found it again, not sure if it is OK to post the link per board rules but just search Field of 68 pod and it is the one with Henson and Childress with Goodman. They talk to Bacot and they talked to the Baylor coach after his team beat Kansas.
I will look for, no need to post. Thanks!

This.

Set some minimum number of games played, then go by percentage.

We already do that for a lot of stats. I mean we usually talk about 3-pt shooting percentage. Sure, we could also count number of games with more than 5 3-pt shots made - which is like how we talk about double doubles - but we generally don't do that.

If we look at double doubles as a percentage, Billy C is way up there with 87% - meaning he scored a double double in 87% if his games.

So far this season, Armando is hitting 68%, and that includes his 1 minute game (which costs him 4%). Tshibwe is hitting 82% but I doubt there are many others - if any - better than Armando. Trayce Jackson-Davis weighs in at 50%, for example. Ditto for Filipowski.

Read an article the other day that informed me that Pete Maravich's scoring record came in only 3 years of NCAA play. 83 total games. He not only averaged over 44ppg, but no player has ever accumulated more NCAA career points. Insane.
Some guy went back an reviewed game videos from the season Pistol Pete averaged 44 - with the 3 point line it would have been 57. ppg

If we clone him, does he have any eligibility left?

I just watched Bacot on the Field of 68 podcast. He said it was very unlikely that he would ever leave Carolina for another school.
I watched it twice and it didn't sound encouraging that he would return to school with what he said.
He didn't close the door.....but he definitely is looking towrds his future beyond College, from what I listened to.

So if bacot comes back next year (Covid year) he will set the records where it may never be broken again

I just watched Bacot on the Field of 68 podcast. He said it was very unlikely that he would ever leave Carolina for another school.
I watched it twice and it didn't sound encouraging that he would return to school with what he said.
He didn't close the door.....but he definitely is looking towrds his future beyond College, from what I listened to.
So you're saying he ruled out another school but did not rule out leaving? Was he asked? I mean if he just volunteered that, it sounds like he's planning to leave. But if it was in response to a direct question like "would you consider playing at a different school in your final year of eligibility?" then we may be reading too much into it.

That said, I won't be surprised if he leaves.

How much NIL could he make staying vs how much playing overseas?

Would playing another year here shorten his career as a pro - say by making him to old to be attractive to better teams?

Does his playing style lend itself to playing abroad?

So you're saying he ruled out another school but did not rule out leaving? Was he asked? I mean if he just volunteered that, it sounds like he's planning to leave. But if it was in response to a direct question like "would you consider playing at a different school in your final year of eligibility?" then we may be reading too much into it.

That said, I won't be surprised if he leaves.

How much NIL could he make staying vs how much playing overseas?

Would playing another year here shorten his career as a pro - say by making him to old to be attractive to better teams?

Does his playing style lend itself to playing abroad?
They talked about a 5th year. They said to him, not asking you to make an announcement here but what are your thoughts on another year?
Randolph Childress put out the scenario of Bacot getting a 2-3 million dollar NIL offer to either return to Carolina or go to another school.
Bacot said it would be highly doubtful he would ever go to another school.
Goodman then asked again if a 5th year was a possibility? Bacot said probably not but who knows.
Chilldress was really promoting Mando to come back for another run and the NIL available. ( RC knows Bacot is not an NBA player in my opinion) Mando said his parents would be who he would turn to when making any decision, and he told RC, Maybe we'll 👀
That is how I read the interview.
It is available on YOUTUBE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT