ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

just checked out 247. had something like 10 or 11 favored for Duke and 12 favored for Kentucky. I'm no math whiz, but I will assume that neither school has that many scholarships to give. Don't think that I will be too concerned until it shakes out and see what we get.

I think we will be happy with the results of 16 and 17. Don't know who it will be but I'm sure quality will be there and quantity.

Wish it would become clearer but that is not what is going to happen.
Most of these recruiting gurus didn't have the option of being a "perfesser of maffamatics". That and a lot of the frontrunners want to go to dook or UK and may have been contacted but don't have offers. It is amazing how many of the top 10 are now scholars and can attend dook. I remeber back in the day when there were always 2-3 in top 10 that couldn't get a qualifying SAT score. Those days are sure gone.

Most of these recruiting gurus didn't have the option of being a "perfesser of maffamatics". That and a lot of the frontrunners want to go to dook or UK and may have been contacted but don't have offers. It is amazing how many of the top 10 are now scholars and can attend dook. I remeber back in the day when there were always 2-3 in top 10 that couldn't get a qualifying SAT score. Those days are sure gone.
Duke has nine offers out for 2016, only four top 10 players. Is it hard to believe that nine players in the top 50 have grades good enough to get into Duke on an athletic scholarship?

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Duke has nine offers out for 2016, only four top 10 players. Is it hard to believe that nine players in the top 50 have grades good enough to get into Duke on an athletic scholarship?
soooooooo 18% of the population has the kinds of grades/scores that it normally takes to get in dook????
Looks to me like all offers are in top 25 so the 18% jumps to 36%.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Fox likes the way Roy developes left handed point guards. Mentioned Marshall and Britt by namr"e.

Some thoughts, and apologies for the length of post.

It looks to me that Roy is kinda caught at the moment.

Top talent want to start, play and dominate straight away. So what does Roy do? If he lands Giles and another 5* big (a centre) does he turn around to one or both of his McD AA seniors in 2016 (Hicks & Meeks) and ask them to come off the bench?

How would Roy look in that scenario? Opposing coaches would have a field day. They'd point to those two, highlight their "slow development" and lack of starting op (at least for Hicks) and use it against Roy!

Ditto with Joel Berry. If Smith really is "all that and more" would he get the nod over a Junior JB? I'd hate to see three upperclass McD AA's riding the pine!

It's for these reasons I think Roy is casting a wider net. He seems to be looking for players in 2016 who don't necessarily need/want to start.

SKJ and Delaurier won't threaten Meeks and Hicks, while adding valuable depth in the front court into 2017 when Meeks and Hicks will have graduated.

Going back over Roy's recruiting in the last 10 years, there's been a his fair share of top 10 talent, but rarely has he had 2-3 top 10 players in any one class. And when he's pulled successive monster classes the players were always complimentary (rarely recruiting "over the top" of another)

Also, only two were OAD (Marvin and Brandon) and while Brandon started, Marvin played 6th man on a championship team. In fact, I reckon he intended Marvin to play with Tyler H in 2006.... now that would have been nasty!

It seems Roys system is more geared to a top 5-10 player who sticks for 2-3 years rather than the OAD flash in the pan player. I don't know if there are any players like that anymore, but I'm guessing that's what Roy wants.

Finally, there's the academic issue. No, not the 'scandal' but an after effect that may be keeping recruits away....... ready for this conspiracy theory:

There is sure to be a ton of academic scrutiny around UNC players for a good time to come. Class attendance, grades and authenticity of work will be closely watched. How many OAD players with no real academic ambitions want to go through that? Forget sanctions, this might mean real work!

It's a cynical view and I'm not saying all top 10 players are thinking that way, but who knows if it's another "whisper" being used against the Heels on the recruiting trail?
Excellent post. That about nails it. And oh, I'm so glad no one mentioned the academic scandal as to why we aren't landing top 5 talent, cuz that just isnt a factor at all in any of those guys decisions. 10 years ago there were top 5 players who wanted to play 2 years (ala Barnes). But that's no longer the case. The problem is when you look at the how those players fared, they all ended up taking draft hits because they would have been drafted higher after the first year, just based on potential. The 2nd year is when any flaws in their game become apparent. They can for the most part conceal those flaws as "freshman growing pains" in their first year and take the money and run (flaws and all). Scouts aren't as forgiving in the 2nd season.

How can anyone with even modest intelligence think an academic scandal that could potentially ban the team from post season play would not effect whether recruits choose UNC? I am almost positive we will not get any significant penalty, but how can anyone be 100% sure with the incomprehensible NCAA making the decision? Its simple common sense that a 5* OAD type recruit wants the chance to play for a Natty in his one year in college. I guess you must be trolling to even say it is not a factor at all.

It is a factor but not the only reason. Negative recruiting and Roy's tendency to be loyal to veterans are also factors, but they are lessening in the face of how many freshman are playing major minutes lately. I hope he never bows to pressure and starts to promise freshmen they can start, but it is clear he is giving them the chance earn major minutes these days.

Heels are Family!

So you think Roy-Recruits-Owners of this site are all lying?
Brandon Ingram was not being honest. He wanted to go to Duke, but did not want tell Roy no because of his Dad. The scandal was just his way of saying "No, thank you" to save face. So why did Justin and Berry commit, in light of the scandal? Why wouldn't they be concerned about the scandal? They committed because Duke and/or KY were not interested .... that's the real story. But again, if the scandal makes you feel better than the fact that we just aren't "sexy" any longer to OAD's, then so be it. .

Last edited:
Brandon Ingram was not being honest. He wanted to go to Duke, but did not want tell Roy no because of his Dad. The scandal was just his way of saying "No, thank you". So why did Justin and Berry commit, in light of the scandal? They committed because Duke and/or KY were not interested .... that's the real story.

I also had a feeling Brandon Ingram was not being really sincere with his recruiting. I've never seen a recruit take so many trips to a school and then swing the opposite way in less than a couple months. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that just didn't make any sense.

However, your comments on Berry and Jackson is way off. Berry and Jackson committed because they wanted to be at UNC. Otherwise, they would not have committed early. At the same time, the scandal's effects were not as powerful at the time, as the NCAA was not investigating during their recruitment.

The scandal is a scapegoat for those that don't want to admit our recruiting has hit a slump well before the NCAA began their tirade on UNC.

The scandal is a big reason why we aren't landing recruits. It is not, however, the only reason.

I also had a feeling Brandon Ingram was not being really sincere with his recruiting. I've never seen a recruit take so many trips to a school and then swing the opposite way in less than a couple months. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that just didn't make any sense.

However, your comments on Berry and Jackson is way off. Berry and Jackson committed because they wanted to be at UNC. Otherwise, they would not have committed early. At the same time, the scandal's effects were not as powerful at the time, as the NCAA was not investigating during their recruitment.

The scandal is a scapegoat for those that don't want to admit our recruiting has hit a slump well before the NCAA began their tirade on UNC.

The scandal is a big reason why we aren't landing recruits. It is not, however, the only reason.

Jackson/Joel/Theo were not one & done recruits and were not looking for the quick path programs, they were looking to develope their games at this level before moving to the next. That is more and more rare these days. Totally agree and have discussed it here concerning Ingram never was really wanting to play at UNC and that he used the scandel as an excise he could get his dad on board with. IN addition to growing up loving K & duke, he was afraid Roy would move him to the 4, like we did Henson and he is in total belief that he is a wing that could play at the 2. I don't see him as anything close to being a one & done level talent and frankly I think his best position is at the 4 (my opinion) and I strongly believe that before he is done at duke he will be moved the the very position he does not today want to play.

Reactions: grillheel
Ferguson to Bama.

Get used to posts like this for the next few months. As long as the UNC administration continues to sit with sticks up their a**es and continue to pull out new information to put ourselves in hotter water, we won't even land a 1 star recruit out of Wyoming ffs!

Coach Williams will get players and the team will continue to win...not a guess or a opinion but fact and u can take it to the bank..

Coach Williams will get players and the team will continue to win...not a guess or a opinion but fact and u can take it to the bank..
Gotta disagree with you dunk, its an opinion, not a fact.
However, it's a very good opinion and I'd guess 99.99999% correct.

Joel Berry at the point makes me smile everyday! I just think he will perform at the same level or better than Shane Larkin of Miami a few years ago when he dominated other ACC guards. The Heels just need to go out and win the National Championship.....lets make it simple, stupid. Then go out and sign a Top 5 class in 2017 because 2016 recruiting is basically shot. Look at this way folks, the Heels will have decent teams for the next two years even if UNC does not sign any players for 2016. My prediction is that the Heels will land 1-2 players that are not OAD types for 2016. Those players will play important roles for the 2017 version of the Heels.

It starts with securing a #1 seed.

Sorry that I'm somewhat off topic.

....or let's just jump to the extreme over a simply-stated fact.

My #1 pet peeve on this board has to be people calling things facts that are clearly not facts. Both of what you said were opinions. Rose had an overly negative opinion, and IDUNK an overly positive opinion - but they're opinions nonetheless.

Just because you state an opinion and then call it a fact doesn't change the FACT that it was opinion. See how I correctly used the word fact there??

Probably not going to land anything obviously as we all can see but a Hicks Meeks Berry Pinson Williams lineup can win 20 games next year

Probably not going to land anything obviously as we all can see but a Hicks Meeks Berry Pinson Williams lineup can win 20 games next year

Good point here. Not sure if Jackson was an error of omission, or if you're chalking him up to leaving for the NBA after this year. I don't think its a forgone conclusion that he's gone - although if he has a monster sophomore year that could definitely become the case. I checked 3 mock draft sites. NBADraft.net has JJ staying in school and going 24th in 2017, Bleacher Report has him going 18th in the upcoming draft, and DraftExpress has him going 23rd in the upcoming draft. If he's not a surefire lottery pick I could see him coming back for his Junior year.

On the one hand, I hope JJ blows up because that would mean the team would do very well; but selfishly, I want to watch him in Tar Heel blue for a while longer. This season is a key one for the heels for so many reasons. Winning cures ALL ills and I expect to be smiling by FF time! This is a team that is loaded, talented, and loves to play together so it will be fun to watch! I can't wait to see the guys play with such joy this year and then the recruits will come right back. (especially since the scandal has just about run its course)

I do not believe Roy and the Tar Heels will strike out in 2016 either! Some parents and players are smart enough to see through all the smoke and mirrors!

Heels are Family!

If you want to dwell on the state of my post being fact or opinion, that's your problem. The fact of the matter is this: We are in deep water here. And if you want to cover your ears and exclaim we will "be fine" and we will "win games" despite the 900 pound gorilla in the room, i feel sorry for you. And that is a fact.

Maybe I am overly-negative. Or maybe, I'm frustrated with the fact that the University continues to uncover more wrongdoing with our athletic program. Maybe I'm annoyed with the fact that this has been going on for over 14+ months and we still don't have an end in sight. Maybe I'm sick of hearing these overly-positive posts that have no grip on our current situation.

Anyway, Back to Recruiting.

Seventh Woods focused on 4 schools

You are correct I do agree that from a University standpoint turning yourself in for more stuff is abut as dumb as it gets...

If you want to dwell on the state of my post being fact or opinion, that's your problem. The fact of the matter is this: We are in deep water here.
Not off to a good start, us being in deep water is an opinion, not a fact.

i feel sorry for you. And that is a fact.
If you do indeed feel sorry, then you are correct, this is a fact.

Or maybe, I'm frustrated with the fact that the University continues to uncover more wrongdoing with our athletic program.
Correct again, that is a fact.
Maybe I'm annoyed with the fact that this has been going on for over 14+ months and we still don't have an end in sight.
There you go, now you're on a roll, yet another fact.

3 correct uses out of 4 total uses of the word fact is a decent start - I'll take the progress. Sorry for being nitpicky, but every time this happens I picture Champ from Anchorman saying "It's anchorman, not anchorlady, and that's a scientific fact!"

You are correct I do agree that from a University standpoint turning yourself in for more stuff is abut as dumb as it gets...
Hell Yes. The wainstein report was a case of just shooting ourselves in the foot after everything had been settled. They should have followed Hilary's lead and just deny , deny , deny and deny some more.

3 correct uses out of 4 total uses of the word fact is a decent start - I'll take the progress. Sorry for being nitpicky, but every time this happens I picture Champ from Anchorman saying "It's anchorman, not anchorlady, and that's a scientific fact!"

So you consider sanctions from the NCAA and missing on top recruits in just about each recruiting class as nothing special?

Hell Yes. The wainstein report was a case of just shooting ourselves in the foot after everything had been settled. They should have followed Hilary's lead and just deny , deny , deny and deny some more.

I partially disagree with this. I have no issue with us reporting other issues. Better to do this now than have it come out 2 years down the line and open up this can of worms all over again. But my issue is this: If there was more athletic/academic problem, why the hell would they wait right until the time the the response to the NOA is due and then pull a Billy Mays out of their a**es?! (BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!) Plus, how did the Wainstein report + The NCAA investigation we've sunken so much time and money into miss this key piece of information that could have simply been included in the original response?

If you want to dwell on the state of my post being fact or opinion, that's your problem. The fact of the matter is this: We are in deep water here. And if you want to cover your ears and exclaim we will "be fine" and we will "win games" despite the 900 pound gorilla in the room, i feel sorry for you. And that is a fact.

Maybe I am overly-negative. Or maybe, I'm frustrated with the fact that the University continues to uncover more wrongdoing with our athletic program. Maybe I'm annoyed with the fact that this has been going on for over 14+ months and we still don't have an end in sight. Maybe I'm sick of hearing these overly-positive posts that have no grip on our current situation.

Anyway, Back to Recruiting.

Seventh Woods focused on 4 schools
Did this go backwards? I swear I saw 7th was at a final 2 between South Carolina and North Carolina.

remember recruits predominantly choose schools according to the coach-Alabama coach is Avery Johnson,forner NBAplayer and coach...easy to see player development as huge factor for a OAD type talent

Did this go backwards? I swear I saw 7th was at a final 2 between South Carolina and North Carolina.

I had heard this too. Could be one of those cases of quietly being down to 2 schools. Like Tatum reportedly was.

No, I do think it's a big deal. I completely agree with your opinion, but it's still an opinion.

That's fair to say.

I must say this one got me chuckling

I even chuckled while writing it tbh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT