ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

so because we have problems and our university is in deep trouble, this means that nothing good can happen and we are not allowed to celebrate when we see something good. We must wear sack cloth and whip our selves constantly to make sure we never forget that we are miserable. We must be careful to never feel hope or optimism because that would mean,,,what? Pay attention now:

I AM FULLY AWARE OF THE SCOPE AND DEPTH OF UNC'S ISSUES!

Now that I cleared that up for you, maybe I can now say something positive. If I feel optimistic in the future, feel free to refer to the quote above. My opinion is that we will have a good 2016 class, a stellar 2017 class, and an awesome 2015 season!

Heels are Family!

I agree. I feel good about a strong season this year and that will help spike recruiting. Would feel different if we did not get Pinson, Berry, Justin class. But we did!

Still plenty of choices among 2016. Lots can change with 17 and 18 year olds. I feel UK is not going to continue this pace of recruiting. I do side in the camp that recruiting is cyclical.

Let's have a strong year, get our NCAA decision an then see where we are at.

You guys are making WAY to much sense! ............................... must be on wrong board.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
We better win the Championship this season, its going to be ugly if we don't start getting some good players.

Wow. It never ends. Winning cures all ills, but a Natty is NOT required and it sounds a little like trolling.

Heels are Family!

It's not all about winning, UNC has been winning for years. It's not ALL about the NCAA cloud either even though that certainly plays a part. To 5 star talent, it's about perception. UNC has a perception of making McDonald's all-Americans into 3 year players. Dook and UK are perceived to get top talent quickly to the NBA.

UNC is perceived to mold players into a system and at times, seniority plays over talent. Dook and UK are perceived to let top talent play more freely, showcase their skills and increase their draft stock.

This is the perception that is among top talent right now and winning along with the removal of NCAA cloud will not change this.

Reactions: RoseHeel
so because we have problems and our university is in deep trouble, this means that nothing good can happen and we are not allowed to celebrate when we see something good.

Where did you see anyone say this? Furthermore, what "good" has occurred in recruiting or basketball recently? I'm not talking about the current season, which I'm sure many others, including myself, are excited about.

We must wear sack cloth and whip our selves constantly to make sure we never forget that we are miserable. We must be careful to never feel hope or optimism because that would mean,,,what?

Or we can stick our fingers in our ears, our heads in the sand and go "LALALALALA" like some have. We must never point out the problems, lest we want to be assaulted by those that follow "blind optimism". There's a difference between optimism and naivety. Something that some do not understand.

Pay attention now:

I AM FULLY AWARE OF THE SCOPE AND DEPTH OF UNC'S ISSUES!

Now that I cleared that up for you, maybe I can now say something positive. If I feel optimistic in the future, feel free to refer to the quote above. My opinion is that we will have a good 2016 class, a stellar 2017 class, and an awesome 2015 season!

Heels are Family!

+1

Or we can stick our fingers in our ears, our heads in the sand and go "LALALALALA" like some have. We must never point out the problems, lest we want to be assaulted by those that follow "blind optimism". There's a difference between optimism and naivety. Something that some do not understand.

+1

I'm getting heat on this as well. A poster above said "we will get the players". Speaking specifically for 2016, how can we possibly think that? In the past 18 months we've gotten 2 recruits, one who we wouldn't have if his coach didn't move and one who is ranked outside of the top 100.

As for a Berry, Pinson, K Will, Meeks team winning 20 games in 2016-17, I have my serious doubts. If Justin stays around maybe, but that would mean he didn't flourish into the guy we expect him to this season and that would be worse.

We need something good to happen in recruiting, badly.

2 guys last year. How many that played did we lose from a team with talent to win it,all?

Cause. .......... Effect

Recruiting update:

-- Markelle Fultz to announce tonight at 7pm EST on ESPNU. Recently visited Washington and Arizona. No visit to UK. Edit: Official decision list is Washington, Arizona, and Louisville. No shot for us.

-- Kobi Simmons has set three official visits. Ohio State, Kentucky, and UNLV. Kentucky is in the lead right now imo.

It's not all about winning, UNC has been winning for years. It's not ALL about the NCAA cloud either even though that certainly plays a part. To 5 star talent, it's about perception. UNC has a perception of making McDonald's all-Americans into 3 year players. Dook and UK are perceived to get top talent quickly to the NBA.

UNC is perceived to mold players into a system and at times, seniority plays over talent. Dook and UK are perceived to let top talent play more freely, showcase their skills and increase their draft stock.

This is the perception that is among top talent right now and winning along with the removal of NCAA cloud will not change this.

Well, it is either horse-hay or horse-shhhhhhzzzz... Until LAST season Duke had one actual (real) one and done in the past several seasons. Parker would have been a one and done no matter where he attended college. Also, Irving played very, very few games at Duke to begin with (8 games, I do believe). While Kentucky has made one and dones their mainstay, Duke can NOT say the same thing (imo, FACT). Good luck with the flea market sale though...

I would be shocked if Roy managed to get Leaf off the West Coast. Would be nothing short of a miracle tbh.

Still, good to see Roy putting in work. Definitely the hardest I've seen him go on the recruiting trail in a while.

Joel Berry at the point makes me smile everyday! I just think he will perform at the same level or better than Shane Larkin of Miami a few years ago when he dominated other ACC guards. The Heels just need to go out and win the National Championship.....lets make it simple, stupid. Then go out and sign a Top 5 class in 2017 because 2016 recruiting is basically shot. Look at this way folks, the Heels will have decent teams for the next two years even if UNC does not sign any players for 2016. My prediction is that the Heels will land 1-2 players that are not OAD types for 2016. Those players will play important roles for the 2017 version of the Heels.

It starts with securing a #1 seed.

Sorry that I'm somewhat off topic.
Joel will be more like Derrick Phelps than like Shane Larkin. Phelps was a very steady PG with a high IQ who was like a cross between Jimmy Black and Kendall Marshall in terms of style of play. He didn't have blazing speed or athletcism, but was highly skilled and knew how to make plays for others. I think Joel will be that kind of PG for us. Larkin OTOH is an athletic freak who can jump out of the gym and also overpowered other PG's. Berry doesn't have that kind of athleticism/strength but his strengths are his skill, savvy, and bball IQ.

Seems duke might pull in top class three years in a row. Jackson and Tatum I believe might head to duke

Actually don't give a rats backside about dook recruiting. Sorry to be a bit sharp, but I'm just hoping Roy can bring in a good class for '16 and set up a potentially monster haul for '17.

Interesting turn with Leaf (pardon the pun, couldn't resist) I like players with international experience, no matter what country they've played for since they go up against men.

Joel will be more like Derrick Phelps than like Shane Larkin. Phelps was a very steady PG with a high IQ who was like a cross between Jimmy Black and Kendall Marshall in terms of style of play. He didn't have blazing speed or athletcism, but was highly skilled and knew how to make plays for others. I think Joel will be that kind of PG for us. Larkin OTOH is an athletic freak who can jump out of the gym and also overpowered other PG's. Berry doesn't have that kind of athleticism/strength but his strengths are his skill, savvy, and bball IQ.
I don't think you appreciate the strength and explosiveness JB brings.

When/if he shows it against other elite level PG's, I will appreciate it....
Let's see what he does in the following games against other elite PG's starting with Melo Trimble matchup against MD., then match ups with Perrantes/Brogdon from UVA, and most importantly, the matchup against Thornton from Duke.

Last edited:
My way early prediction for our 2016 class: going with my gut & heart but will admit we are 50/50 on most of my predicts and it is still IMO way to early to tell for most of these.

DSJ, Bam, Bradley, Markensen...

FYI, I caught the second half of the Addias nation game yesterday, Bam was a man amoung boys, I take him right now over Giles and have no hesitation.

Let's see what he does in the following games against other elite PG's starting with Melo Trimble matchup against MD., then match ups with Perrantes/Brogdon from UVA, and most importantly, the matchup against Thornton from Duke.

Lets not get this twisted, I love what Joel brings to the table and think it is what we really need to get to that next level. But I am not trying to spin him in to being the next Phil Ford either. I do strongly believe what we saw as a freshman was nothing more than a shadow of what we will see once this kid feels he is the guy Roy trusts as his PG. Joel did struggle a bit to adjust to the college talent level and I think the lack of early PT took a toll on his confidence. What I love is he seemed to fight thru most of that later season to give us that glimpse of things to come. I am excited to see how this soph class has developeing in this off season, I think all 3 of them will take things to another level.

:cool:
It's funny this popped up now as I was just involved in a conversation Saturday with a coach telling some AAU stories, including one about the futility of trying to keep JB from going where he wanted to go and doing what he wanted to do on the court.
I know some folks wonder why I was/am so high on Berry. One reason is that among and against the best, he was the alpha dog.
Anyway, here's a pretty representative reel of him doing his thing against elite talent. BTW: You may recognize some of his opponents, including a soon-to-be UNC teammate.

Lets not get this twisted, I love what Joel brings to the table and think it is what we really need to get to that next level. But I am not trying to spin him in to being the next Phil Ford either. I do strongly believe what we saw as a freshman was nothing more than a shadow of what we will see once this kid feels he is the guy Roy trusts as his PG. Joel did struggle a bit to adjust to the college talent level and I think the lack of early PT took a toll on his confidence. What I love is he seemed to fight thru most of that later season to give us that glimpse of things to come. I am excited to see how this soph class has developeing in this off season, I think all 3 of them will take things to another level.
Agree as usual Dave, with one exception. I think the early stuff had to do not so much with adjusting to talent as much as the normal freshman adjustments to the college game, and mostly to the nuances of playing PG in the Carolina system (which ain't easy). Even Phil will tell you he had his early freshman moments back in the day.
Last season I watched more dook basketball than I can normally stomach, and T. Jones struggled --- mightily at times --- early as well (in a relatively dumbed-down system). You and I have both said that the unfortunate difference was that Jones had the opportunity to get thrown into the fire and learn on the fly, and that we would have been better off had that happened. with JB. Still, Joel was pretty damned good down the stretch nonetheless, and good things are on he horizon.

My way early prediction for our 2016 class: going with my gut & heart but will admit we are 50/50 on most of my predicts and it is still IMO way to early to tell for most of these.

FYI, I caught the second half of the Addias nation game yesterday, Bam was a man amoung boys, I take him right now over Giles and have no hesitation.
I have to say i think Bam is a fantastic player and will be a beast in college. If you honestly would take him over HG though, i think you're in a very very very small minority.

Very realistic and obtainable. If we can pull this one off, we'll be in great shape! We'd need a few of those guys to commit on good faith, however.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa

Was thinking the same thing. Much as I loved Phelps-especially his D Berry brings much more on the O end than Phelps. Now if he can be anywhere near Derrick on D I will be THRILLED! :)

That class right there would have this old tired Tar Heel dancing in the streets!
mnm.gif

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT